https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gignac bitter about failed Fulham move

Started by FFCcravencottage, September 02, 2011, 04:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCcravencottage

I knew it was close but never realised only 30 minutes from signing him :014:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/952080/marseille?&cc=5739
Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac has revealed his frustration at being prevented from completing a deadline-day switch to Fulham, which broke down after Amauri refused to move to l'OM.

GettyImages
Andre-Pierre Gignac endured a difficult debut season with Marseille in 2010-11
Gignac, 25, had agreed terms and had a medical with the Cottagers on Wednesday but half an hour before the transfer window closed, Marseille informed him that he would have to return to the club as they had been unable to convince Italy forward Amauri to leave Juventus.

Marseille then attempted to offload Gignac to Sunderland, but the Wearsiders rejected a swap deal involving Asamoah Gyan, leaving the France international to return to the Stade Velodrome.

"Last Tuesday I was asked by the club to come and talk with my agent," Gignac told L'Equipe "We were told l'OM wanted to sign a forward so they would then be listening to offers for me.

"We were told about Olympiakos and Fulham. I decided to listen to the London side. We went there and immediately we felt their interest was concrete and serious. We were interested. We spent the evening with coach Martin Jol and his wife.

"On Wednesday we had a medical. It was a wonderful welcome. So on Wednesday it was all okay. Fulham agreed with l'OM. At 11.30 pm [CET] they called me to say I have to go back to Marseille because my forward replacement would not come.

"I was in London so called to help l'OM sign a forward, but it could not be resolved. Three minutes after calling me to come back to Marseille, I was called again as there was an opportunity to go to Sunderland. I could not reply yes to Sunderland and no to Fulham, because l'OM just made the decision of a swap deal with Gyan.

"At Fulham they wanted me. I didn't see anyone at Sunderland. I'm not a mercenary. I'm not angry, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth."

Despite enduring a chaotic deadline day, on which his club tried desperately to get rid of him, Gignac insists he is happy to stay at Marseille after holding clear-the-air talks with manager Didier Deschamps.

"I've already talked to Didier Deschamps," Gignac said. "He knows what I'm thinking. We spoke like two adults without resentment or hostility, even if what happened is not great.

"I have no problem. They couldn't sign a forward, but I am happy to be at Marseille. I know my worth. I will set the record straight. I am not useless as I've read. I have desire to show I am the forward they looked for."

Marseille sporting director Jose Aniga confirmed that the club had agreed terms with Fulham before having to pull the plug on the move after Amauri's snub.

"With Fulham, there was an agreement but it was not resolved. It was close to the deadline," Anigo told RMC. "We did not take risks; we stopped the negotiations and Andre-Pierre Gignac returned to Marseille.

"He was fine to go to Fulham. That seemed to please him. But he returns with good intentions. We talked and he intends to continue his career, making his merry way. It is clear that Amauri would have blocked Gignac [from taking his place in the side]."

Fulham managed to swoop for FC Twente's Costa Rica forward Bryan Ruiz before the transfer window closed, while Portuguese striker Orlando Sa and Swedish teenager Muamer Tankovic also moved to Craven Cottage.

Burt

Its a shame this one didn't come to be.

Next time, maybe.

tommy

DUKE

I am so proud of Fulham.We are now becoming a team that a lot of players relish the opportunity to play for us. We are attracting some decent players out there and this is something new for us. It has also a lot to do with our good run on Europa league last year but also some good result against some big teams that made a lot of people turn their heads. We are becoming a force to be reckon with. Hopefully this season will prove this even more with the arrival of the new contingent. This team is on the up and i am so lucky to be around. COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fulham_Adam

I'm impressed at how keen he is to join us, shame we couldn't get him.
The past is told by those who win.

SP3

Quote from: DUKE on September 02, 2011, 04:48:32 PM
I am so proud of Fulham.We are now becoming a team that a lot of players relish the opportunity to play for us. We are attracting some decent players out there and this is something new for us. It has also a lot to do with our good run on Europa league last year but also some good result against some big teams that made a lot of people turn their heads. We are becoming a force to be reckon with. Hopefully this season will prove this even more with the arrival of the new contingent. This team is on the up and i am so lucky to be around. COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they always comment on either:

The facilities available, primarily Motspur and/or

The special atmosphere/environment surrounding the club.

Mark Hughes was also bowled over by the first - even if he found himself unable to participate in the second.

Trying hard to put my natural bias aside - I think we're a pretty distinctive and special club.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: tommy on September 02, 2011, 04:41:05 PM
It'll probably happen in January then.

I reckon he'll end up at Sunderland. Impressive how we clinched the Orlando Sa-signing in just thirty minutes though.

Jack Fulham

I reckon it will go through in January unless someone tries to sign him or our goal scoring situation improves to the point that we don't need another striker. I'm sure the Claygate gypsy site will take him in.

zzamora

I'm pleased by how welcome we make all our players feel- 'spending the evening with martin jol AND his wife'-what a lovely personal touch. Also delighted by the way that every footballer feels at home at fulham, after all a happy footballer is a footballer who plays well.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: zzamora on September 02, 2011, 06:22:28 PM
I'm pleased by how welcome we make all our players feel- 'spending the evening with martin jol AND his wife'-what a lovely personal touch. Also delighted by the way that every footballer feels at home at fulham, after all a happy footballer is a footballer who plays well.

Let's hope it was Mrs Jol and not Sarah B................

(just joking libel lawyers)

Holders

Yes, he sounds straight and decent. Maybe we'll get him in January.

Quote from: Fulham_Adam on September 02, 2011, 05:02:49 PM
I'm impressed at how keen he is to join us, shame we couldn't get him.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

mangoputney

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Andy_M

Just wanted to say I'm a +1 with most above and would totally welcome Gignac in January. I can't believe the club nearly pulled this one off, he was the hottest property in French football a year ago.
@got_maile

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: zzamora on September 02, 2011, 06:22:28 PM
Yep superb stuff, though i'd like to know if the 16 year old Swede got the same treatment. let's hope we get him in Jan, sems a decent bloke.