watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hodgson Admits Jol & Lewington Tried Hard To Keep Gera

Started by White Noise, September 03, 2011, 07:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/09/03/west-brom-revealed-how-west-brom-almost-missed-out-on-zoltan-gera-97319-29355131/

West Brom: Revealed - how West Brom almost missed out on Zoltan Gera

By Chris Lepkowski

Sep 3 2011

ROY Hodgson admits Fulham's change of management almost ruined Albion's chances of bringing in 'big signing' Zoltan Gera.

The Hungarian hopes to be fit for Albion's game against Norwich tomorrow week.

Hodgson earmarked the 32-year-old as one of three players he was keen to bring in during the summer window, along with Shane Long and Ben Foster.

Gera returned to the club following his initial move to Craven Cottage three years ago.

But the Albion boss conceded that Gera's move was jeopardised following the appointment of Martin Jol as a replacement for Mark Hughes.

Hodgson said: "Zoltan is good, he's doing well.

"We have an international break now so I'm pretty confident that come the Norwich game he will ready for selection.

"It will be a great advantage for us. The Owen Hargreaves publicity inevitably pushed the thoughts of Zoltan out of the window so it's nice to be finally able to discuss him.

"He is a player who, in the central or wide midfield areas, will be very useful for us.

"He did ever so well for Fulham and became as much of a favourite there as he was here.

"The change of management almost spoilt the deal for us in so much they made it clear that when the new manager (Martin Jol) came in and Ray Lewington got promoted to first-team coach, they really wanted to keep him but luckily he still wanted to join us.

"Zoltan made up his mind he wanted to work with me again but he had to listen to plenty of overtures to try and change his mind.

"It's a big signing for us. Zoltan is one of the big signings of this transfer window and I'm expecting big things from him.

"He will provide extra competition in an area where we already have a lot of competition.

"And we already have an extra player in Graham Dorrans this year, who didn't play much of a part for me last season."

And Hodgson admitted that Gera's versatility in midfield would be crucial to his chances of playing.

"I see him in both centrally in midfield, wide or as a second striker," added Hodgson.

"He played most of the time for me as a right-sided midfielder.

"But Zoltan has that to his game."

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/09/03/west-brom-revealed-how-west-brom-almost-missed-out-on-zoltan-gera-97319-29355131/#ixzz1Wrx0sLcp

Snibbo

Wouldn't be pleased as a WBA fan to hear the manager talk about a 32 year old free transfer as a 'big signing', especially as Zolly, much as we loved him, never really did very much in the League, especially last season.  I could be wrong, but I suspect he will spend most of his time on the bench.

Burt

Given we have a Europa League campaign I still think it was a mistake to let Zolly go, he would still have had a valuable role to play here.

fulhamben

Quote from: Snibbo on September 03, 2011, 08:41:33 AM
Wouldn't be pleased as a WBA fan to hear the manager talk about a 32 year old free transfer as a 'big signing', especially as Zolly, much as we loved him, never really did very much in the League, especially last season.  I could be wrong, but I suspect he will spend most of his time on the bench.
especially as he walked out from them in his prime. there was a lot of hatred from them when he left.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Snibbo

Quote from: Burt on September 03, 2011, 08:42:12 AM
Given we have a Europa League campaign I still think it was a mistake to let Zolly go, he would still have had a valuable role to play here.

Don't think there's anything we could have done to keep him. He was out of contract. He'd been sitting on the bench. I think he'd turned negative. His recent performances in the League were pretty crap. He wanted out.

Meerkat

He will be fondly remembered for the Europa nights and the goals he scored :027:

Andy_M

I don't think he could really cut it in the Premier League any more, was a useful squad player to have for the Europa games but I just don't see him as a player for a top 10 premier league side which is what we are aiming to be. So although I fondly remember him and thank him for his efforts in our Europa journey I can't say that I am particularly gutted he left.
@got_maile

Jonno

Ive been looking back on youtube on our Europa league run and he played a massive part of something I will never forget - and like all the players involved (including Dickson for all the idiots who like to boo Fulham players) and I can only wish him the best - but as has been stated, he was a bit hit and miss in the league and hardly a marquee signing.

SP3

Absolute legend for me. Not just the goal he scored v Hamburg, but the way he reacted to it.

I'll never forget that moment.

White Noise

Agree with that last post about his reaction. Gera was a showman who knew a big part of his job was to entertain and, in Europe at least, he had the game to justify the stupendous celebrations. Diddy David shouting out 'Zoltan Geraaa!' Was the soundtrack to that campaign. In some ways it is better that he has left now so those golden memories are not tarnished by run in's with the manager, poor performances and accusations of sick notery. For a few wonderful months Europe loved us and we loved Zoltan.

BalDrick

Quote from: fulhamben on September 03, 2011, 08:46:27 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on September 03, 2011, 08:41:33 AM
especially as he walked out from them in his prime. there was a lot of hatred from them when he left.

Not the way I heard it at all - they all love him. And, bar 2 games this season, I hope he does really well for what is a decent club with a more-than-decent manager.

Reflects well on Gera that, having been told by Hughes he was being let go, he then made a verbal agreement with West Brom and, despite Jol wanting him to stay, he stuck to his word.

Oh and I seriously doubt I will ever get the same feeling, on a terrace, in a bed, anywhere, that I got when he scored that goal in the semi. Wasn't with us long enough to be called a legend but very fondly remembered.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Jack Fulham

Loved Zoltan, shame he left, will never forget his overhead kick vs Man United or the goal vs Hamburg. Even his perfect hatrick vs Werder Bremen pre-season. He's more suited to the european game, would of done well he played somewhere like Spain or Germany. One of my favourite players alongside Baird. Both players started there Fulham careers poorly but once they gained confidence, they were brilliant.

FatFreddysCat

Loved Zoltan, but he really wouldn't get anywhere near our first team if we're all brutally honest about it.

BalDrick

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on September 03, 2011, 05:56:40 PM
Loved Zoltan, but he really wouldn't get anywhere near our first team if we're all brutally honest about it.

Yep - Hughes was clearly never going to use him a lot, although we'll never know what plans Jol may have had for him. But bit-part player is as much as he could have aspired to I suspect.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

LBNo11

...had Zolly not been frozen out by Hughes I think he would have been more than capable of turning several of those draws into wins, but even if he had been given the chance to play, Hughes had sucked all confidence and sense of belonging out of him.

Good luck Zoltan GEEEERRRAAAA! You will be loved and revered by many Fulham fans for years to come...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 03, 2011, 10:29:28 PM
...had Zolly not been frozen out by Hughes I think he would have been more than capable of turning several of those draws into wins, but even if he had been given the chance to play, Hughes had sucked all confidence and sense of belonging out of him.

Good luck Zoltan GEEEERRRAAAA! You will be loved and revered by many Fulham fans for years to come...
Hmmm i dont know, he was rather crap most of his games, but then hit a run of not many but a few very memorable goals in Europe which made him a hero, apart from that, What did the Zoltans do for us???

SP3

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on September 03, 2011, 11:26:42 PM
but a few very memorable goals in Europe

Enough for me. And the ManU goal helped, too.  :Haynes The Maestro: