watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jewell Backs 'Shooting Practice' Stockdale

Started by White Noise, September 04, 2011, 07:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ipswich-boss-jewell-has-no-doubts-over-fulham-keeper-stockdale-1861261?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Fulham keeper Stockdale

04.09.11 | tribalfootball.com

Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell has no doubts about on-loan Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale.

Jewell, who is on the look out for a third keeper knowing that Stockdale could be recalled at 24 hours notice, believes the Yorkshireman will only get better.

"It has been difficult for him, it has been like shooting practice in a couple of games, so he's done very well," said the Town manager.

"He is a terrific goalkeeper, but he is still learning. He's 25 but it's not as if he has hundreds of games behind him. He'll get better."

Maidstone Lee

Ipswich have had a terrible time of late, two very heavy defeats amongst others and that can't be helping his confidence or development. Stockdale's a very good keeper and i still hope he is our number one next season.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

ImperialWhite

QuoteHe's 25 but it's not as if he has hundreds of games behind him. He'll get better.

Err.....

Sounds like Jewell rates him then.

SHADY1

out of all the goals i've seen him concede theres a couple at most may have been stopable certainly no glaring mistakes... if anything he made some great saves even in the heavy defeats..
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Snibbo

I'm worried he might get a back injury from having to bend over to pick the ball out the net so much.

TonyGilroy

I haven't seen the goals properly and won't pass judgment but top quality goalkeeping is about more than shot stopping.

The great keepers positioning will be flawless and enables them to make great saves look easy. Conversely a not so good keeper will sometimes make what look like good saves but in fact should have been simple or will be beaten by unstoppable shots that actually would have been very saveable with better positioning and anticipation.

Judging keepers is for experts not the likes of us. At best we can applaud reflexes and athleticism.

Then of course there's things like organisation and command of the defence.

Personally I'd stick with Schwarzer who we KNOW is outstanding until his standards slip.

Burt

The key thing is that Stockdale is picking up competitive match practice in a difficult league and so with every passing game his abilities, judgment, confidence, etc. should be developing.

Dan in Notts

I like Stockdale and wouldn't have been disappointed if he'd started in goal for us this season: overall Schwarzer is a bit better, but Stockdale is good, learning and has much better distribution (which has a hard-to-quantify impact on the team's success, because the ball pings back into opposition possession, with all the potential for goals, that that has).

What worries me a bit about him being behind a, by-all-accounts, terrible Ipswich defence is that, although he's getting plenty of practice, it can't be good for confidence and it's getting him out of the habit of keeping clean sheets.  It's more a hunch, than a proven effect, but my impression is that several very promising young keepers have been ruined by playing for teams at the wrong end of the table or otherwise leaking goals.  It must be difficult to keep that level of concentration that sees you called on only 2 or 3 times in a game, but where you have to get it right, if you've got someone bearing down on your goal after a defensive clanger every 4 minutes.