News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cardiff In '84 - Anyone Remember This Game?

Started by White Noise, September 07, 2011, 07:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Mr Dye, who worked for Cardiff Council's highways department, had commented regularly on Cardiff City FC football websites and there were suggestions that he had links with hooligans.

Posting under the name Ely Trendy, he wrote in 2009 about a series of fights he had been involved during the 1980s at the height of football hooliganism.
He talked about sitting alongside opposing fans and said in 1984 at a Fulham FC match and said he 'battled to get out in one piece'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034520/Football-fan-beaten-death-fight-outside-Wembley-ahead-Euro-Championship-qualifier.html#ixzz1XFHuno51

Burt

I don't recollect this, and I was going to most home matches in my teens.

One of the things I have always liked about our club is that it didn't seem to attract as large a lunatic fringe as other clubs in those days.

SHADY1

Well he shouldn't have stood next to me in a home area should he ... serves them right for coming in the enclosure there was about 15/20 of them if memory serves me right then loads from the Putney end jumped on the pitch trying to get in our section to help them out... a few tried to do a sneaky up the stairs into the seats walking along the top row to get out near the Hammersmith End .. but they got sussed and caught...  and I didn't see a Fulham fan hit a Cardiff thug in the face with his crash helmit either (or was that QPR)

So No i remember nothing about that day !!
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Motspur

Yep remember that game and also the game some years later when their manager (Eddie May I think) did the Ayatollah salute and it kicked off again. As Shady says, they jumped over from the Putney End to get into the Enclosure.

TonyGilroy

Police dogs on the pitch.

I'd have let them loose.

MJG

Quote from: Motspur on September 07, 2011, 09:32:24 AM
Yep remember that game and also the game some years later when their manager (Eddie May I think) did the Ayatollah salute and it kicked off again. As Shady says, they jumped over from the Putney End to get into the Enclosure.
Yep, was in the  Enclosure that day and it was not pretty.At HT after all that had gone on (and i think they were winning 1-0 ) the twit of a manager saluted to them as he got to the cottage.
Very naughty game.

FatFreddysCat

I remember we used to have a little firm in  Block B of the Stevenage rd stand and i can remember it kicking off in there with a firm of them as well .

TheDaddy

I was right in the thick of it started off with a few standing  slapping there heads .When one Fulham fan told them to politely fcuk off in there own end "brave lad they were big buggers" it didn't really kick off until a rather old copper decided to run in  with his baton wielding hitting everyone in his sight thats when it kicked off and the Cardiff lot climbed over the away fencing.Wasn't into football violence but didn't back down when provoked.
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

MOR :

I think the crash helmet incident was the following year I think when we played them in the evening. A few Cardiff were mouthing off in the Stevenage Road Stand near the Cottage. There were a few verbals exchanged with us in the Enclosure then this Fulham fan ran up the steps of the Enclosure, jumped the wall, ran up the Stevenage Road Stand steps and piled into them with his crash helmet.

Motspur

Quote from: MJG on September 07, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
Yep, was in the  Enclosure that day and it was not pretty.At HT after all that had gone on (and i think they were winning 1-0 ) the twit of a manager saluted to them as he got to the cottage.
Very naughty game.

That's the memory I have of that game and I blamed the trouble mostly being down to their manager.

MJG

Quote from: Motspur on September 07, 2011, 03:27:45 PM
Yep, was in the  Enclosure that day and it was not pretty.At HT after all that had gone on (and i think they were winning 1-0 ) the twit of a manager saluted to them as he got to the cottage.
Very naughty game.

That's the memory I have of that game and I blamed the trouble mostly being down to their manager.
Along with Portsmouth at home in 1979 maybe 1980, its the only other time I have had to get involved in trouble inside the ground.

Motspur

Not starting a hoolie thread or anything but I remember the Bristol clubs in the 70's being particularly bad. As a very young lad (under 10) I can remember it kicking off in all the roads surrounding the ground.

Blingo

Quote from: SHADY1 on September 07, 2011, 08:21:31 AM
Well he shouldn't have stood next to me in a home area should he ... serves them right for coming in the enclosure there was about 15/20 of them if memory serves me right then loads from the Putney end jumped on the pitch trying to get in our section to help them out... a few tried to do a sneaky up the stairs into the seats walking along the top row to get out near the Hammersmith End .. but they got sussed and caught...  and I didn't see a Fulham fan hit a Cardiff thug in the face with his crash helmit either (or was that QPR)

So No i remember nothing about that day !!

Ruffian.  :59: In my younger days it was in the middle of the Hammersmith end, no seats and just an empty aisle separating home from away fans. Those WERE the days lol.  :handbags: :handbags: :handbags: :handbags:

Two Ton Ted

The big kick off with Cardiff was in the 90's.

I vaguely remember trouble with them back in 1984, when we were in the old second division. There was a little group of them in either H or I block and they got a slap downstairs from the enclosure lads.

Three of us were chased down the Fulham Road after the game by a little mob of Cardiff outisde the Kings Head after the game.

This was back in the days of Casuals and anyone even wearing a Pringle jumper was considered fair game.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

dannydog

I was in the enclosure I remember the Cardiff fans ran across the pitch from the Putney section into our bit just when the game kicked off. I was about 16 with 2 mates we crapped ourselves, saw a Cardiff fan get his ear bit off !

maksimir

Quote from: Motspur on September 07, 2011, 03:27:45 PM
Very naughty game.

I was at that game (93' but it could be a year either side of that?).  The Standard warned of crowd trouble the day before I believe and although their manager was a twit that day, it was going to kick off as a dozen or so from Cardiff were in the Stevenage upper and walked towards us in Block E and then down into the enclosure and worked their way towards the Putney end of the enclosure and then it kicked off.

I seem to remember dozens of Cardiff straddled the fencing in the Putney end but not a huge amount ran over.  Did 8/10 'largish' Ashford hoolies not try similar in the cup game later that season?