News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can anyone tell me what formation we're supposed to be playing?

Started by NorthernWhite, September 11, 2011, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

I cant quite decide and I don't think the players can either....

mangoputney

I can't, switched over to the cricket, game is dire
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

NorthernWhite

Oh, and can we put in a decent delivery from a set piece as well please.

We looked threatening last season under Hughes, awful so far this...

NorthernWhite

I was confused by our tactics today and I think the players were as well.

I think a change from 442 is definitely not a bad thing but all the players having to interchange positions ie Duff behind Bobby, then switching to the right is not a great move to do all at once.

Switching the CB partnership hasn't strengthened us, as that was our strongest asset. We knew we needed pace and Jol said he likes fast wingers but we haven't signed any in the window? No young RB signed in the window which was an area that needed addressing.

Overall, I have lot more questions after each game we play. I'd feel a lot happier if I could see a system we were tying to work towards that needed time but I dont see any of that yet.

Im normally fairly upbeat but so far I've only seen our previous strengths weaker and our weaknesses not addressed.

Still early in the season but I'm struggling to grasp any positives right now...

fulhamben

clearly it was scramble midfielders. where ever you happen to be at the time is your position, also schwarzer chipped in with his rush goalie attempt at the end. just hope we dont play 1 and in against city as i dont think riise will be much cop in goal when it gets round to his turn at 10 0
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jimbobob

Quote from: NorthernWhite on September 11, 2011, 05:23:47 PM
I cant quite decide and I don't think the players can either....

NorthernWhite we actually have a video of the players reaction after hearing the latest Jol formation:
(sound up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OazS2n4FGns#
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

NorthernWhite

Just walking back from the game and still non the wiser. Clues anyone?

I thought we were bereft if ideas in the attacking 3rd again. The players didn't seem to know where to be. Again.....

Lighthouse

Quote from: NorthernWhite on September 15, 2011, 10:29:04 PM

I thought we were bereft if ideas in the attacking 3rd again. The players didn't seem to know where to be. Again.....

It is very simple. Jol has eveybody playing where and how he wants them. But he is waiting to cover in training the bit about what to do in front of goal. For goodness sake, early days, don't panic, I'm a teapot,mines a pint, could be worse and all the other rubbish about to come on the mb.

Saturday training may be 'When to shoot'
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

DUKE

The Dutch style of play doesn't suit our players simple as that. Martin should now it by know. the board should know it.

FFCcravencottage

Surely it's easy to suss out it is the non shooting formation, get to the 18 yard box and give it back to the opposition.  fp.gif

Jack Fulham

I don't think the players know either. All over the place.

simplyfulham

MJG

Quote from: simplyfulham on September 16, 2011, 08:54:40 AM
Come on people! Jol is trying to move us to a very dutch 4-2-3-1. Get to know!

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/08/how-the-2000s-changed-tactics-5-back-to-four-bands-in-formations/

Knowledge is power.

The trouble is its almost moved to what Jonathan Wilson described in one of his books as the next type of formation, and thats 4-6-0 in effect, with all the AM's rotating.
I don't think its quite that bad, but if we see a line up of Dempsey & Dembele starting up front together, then thats what it would pretty much look like.

elgreenio

major kudos to jimbo for the Dragonball Z video there  :Haynes The Maestro:.

Of course Jol wants to play his Dutch way, but I don't think it'll happen with effect anytime soon, the majority of the team have been playing 4 in midfield for the whole of their careers.
touch my camera through the fence

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: elgreenio on September 16, 2011, 09:35:54 AM
major kudos to jimbo for the Dragonball Z video there  :Haynes The Maestro:.

Of course Jol wants to play his Dutch way, but I don't think it'll happen with effect anytime soon, the majority of the team have been playing 4 in midfield for the whole of their careers.

The players do have to be adaptable though.

Plus, I would argue that Sidwell, Dembele, Duff and Kasami have spent significant portions of their careers in 5 man midfields/4-3-3 teams

epsomraver

Quote from: NorthernWhite on September 15, 2011, 10:29:04 PM

Your two posts sum it up completely, it seemed to me 10 strangers turned up for a game at times, same applied to the officials, Any body want to be ref?  run the line? I have never seen a lino and the ref both stand there neither giving a decision  and then it seems who grabs the ball  first is the correct decision, clue less!!

AlFayedsChequebook

Sorry but if you cannot see what the team is trying to do, then you should go and read some books about tactics.

It might not be working, but it is obvious that Jol is trying to play a fluid three behind the striker in the 4-2-3-1. The problem is that all the players want to be in the middle and we have no width. If we had an out and out winger with pace, we would be fine as we could stretch the play and create a lees crowded middle.

epsomraver

Don't be so arrogant! read a book on what the team is trying to do! they don't bloody know! I have rarely seen players with the ball stand there not having a clue what to do with it! What happened to our quick fluid passing game? we cannot string three passes together to save our lives, what happened to shooting at goal? last time I read a book on football it said the object was to put the ball in the opponents net and if you did that more than them you win the game If as you defend him Jol wanted to play wide then why did we sign so many attacking midfielders and no out and out wingers, we only had one there last night and he was on the bench for most of the game.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: epsomraver on September 16, 2011, 09:59:36 AM
Don't be so arrogant! read a book on what the team is trying to do! they don't bloody know! I have rarely seen players with the ball stand there not having a clue what to do with it! What happened to our quick fluid passing game? we cannot string three passes together to save our lives, what happened to shooting at goal? last time I read a book on football it said the object was to put the ball in the opponents net and if you did that more than them you win the game If as you defend him Jol wanted to play wide then why did we sign so many attacking midfielders and no out and out wingers, we only had one there last night and he was on the bench for most of the game.

Dont be so ignorant.

If you cannot see that a lack of fluidity within our team has not been a long term issue I wonder what team you have been watching for the last few years.
Jol is actually trying to address this by getting the 3 behind the striker to take more responsibility rather than have Murphy run the show, which they are gradually adapting to. We looked good in the first half, good movement and should have scored more. We should have won last night and had we put away the chances we had we would have done so comfortably.

epsomraver

Not so much of the ignorant What game were you watching? walking along after the game all I could hear was what a load of rubbish, poor performance, the politest was I am disappointed! so  the fans coming out the ground  I spoke to are all wrong and you and Jol were right, don't start that crap about what team have you been watching the last few years`I started watching this team in 1963 , Jol is trying to foister a system on the team that 1) does not suit the players we have 2) they don't like it, BZ has the air of cannot be arsed and you can see several of the players are not enjoying the game, If they had played till midnight we would not have scored and I really fear a hammering on Sunday.