watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

where are the players in all of this?

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, September 11, 2011, 10:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Most of the discussion is revolving around how poor jol is/has been, and there is no doubting fulham have not been good enough.

But

what has happened to the players? most of them have been playing together for the last few seasons but have been playing like strangers. i get the impression we need someone to.stand up and tell everyone to man up and play properly.

Duncs

totally agree with this. in the past when things weren't going our way we still had team spirit and everyone seemed to be playing for each other. this has been sadly lacking so far this season and we desperately need to get it back.

could there be a rift in the dressing room? are bobby and danny getting along with Jol? are the players upset about H&H being split up?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

They and we are missing Davies ???....................who is the only one that can dig us out of a hole

NogoodBoyo

It's simple - the players are confused by having their 4th manager in what...five years?
It took half a season for Hodgson to explain his drills/positioning and undo the long ball panic crap we played under Coleman and Sanchez.  Hughes capitulated to player power (quite wisely in my book) and rescued the season after last Christmas by abandoning his stratagem and reverting to Hodgson's system because the players understood it. 
Jol has decided he wants to go with width and younger players - his system.  He's probably right, but there will be a lengthy and unsettling transition period because the players don't quite get it, but I believe they will as the signs looked good to me today.  If MAF and in particular the fans support him in his effort to play football rather than hoof ball, we'll probably just squeek through and stay up.  We'll be healthier for the change.  If we fail?  Well, that doesn't bear thinking about really.
However, wailing and gnashing at this early stage is, as ever, counter-productive and highly damaging. 
Nogood "wail on like a Jennings, isit" Boyo

bigalffc

Jol has messed the players about, especially the central defence splitting up the H&H partnership. Baird is a reasonable RB Hughes is not. No one seems to understand whats required, where were ruis and duff meant to be? BZ struggled,murph has no idea crosses and set pieces were completely wasted. I am very unhappy tonight :014:
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

psand22

It's gonna take time for the team to gel with a new manager.  I think Jol has stepped on a few toes as he has tried to put his stamp on the team.  You haven't heard any of the lovefest that Hughes got when he came in.  Everyone loved the his approach in training and the thought of not being so defensive as Roy.  Now it's pretty quiet from the team on Jol, except for the new signings.
  I know Jol and the team are still trying to figure out what works best, and I'm sure it'll come around in time.  Hopefully, sooner than later.

RidgeRider

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on September 12, 2011, 12:10:53 AM
It's simple - the players are confused by having their 4th manager in what...five years?
It took half a season for Hodgson to explain his drills/positioning and undo the long ball panic crap we played under Coleman and Sanchez.  Hughes capitulated to player power (quite wisely in my book) and rescued the season after last Christmas by abandoning his stratagem and reverting to Hodgson's system because the players understood it. 
Jol has decided he wants to go with width and younger players - his system.  He's probably right, but there will be a lengthy and unsettling transition period because the players don't quite get it, but I believe they will as the signs looked good to me today.  If MAF and in particular the fans support him in his effort to play football rather than hoof ball, we'll probably just squeek through and stay up.  We'll be healthier for the change.  If we fail?  Well, that doesn't bear thinking about really.
However, wailing and gnashing at this early stage is, as ever, counter-productive and highly damaging. 
Nogood "wail on like a Jennings, isit" Boyo

+1  :54:

JBH

New manager, new method's, new player's an international break  and people wonder what the problem is at the moment.

One thing people seem to  have forgotten that under Roy and Hughes the exact same thing happened.

Add to it that we have a Captain who needs a kick up the Backside or shipping out and there you have the problems at the moment.

Keep the Faith COYW

supersub

I got the feeling yesterday that the players were "turned off" for periods of the game. When they turned it on again and got themselves into gear, it suddenly looked again as though they were capable of achieving something.

But I didn't get a sense of enthusiasm about most of them. Murphy seemed to be constantly trying to tell his team-mates what to do with the ball - even pointing in the direction he wanted it. Then there was that moment towards the end when Zamora seemed to have several options on the edge of the area and just hoofed it out for a goal-kick... maybe it was just a mis-hit, but he didn't appear to be trying very hard with it.

Burt

Quote from: supersub on September 12, 2011, 12:17:28 PM
Then there was that moment towards the end when Zamora seemed to have several options on the edge of the area and just hoofed it out for a goal-kick... maybe it was just a mis-hit, but he didn't appear to be trying very hard with it.

Yes I remember that, I think he was anticipating someone running in to the space he lobbed it in to.

MJG

Quote from: Burt on September 12, 2011, 12:22:00 PM
Then there was that moment towards the end when Zamora seemed to have several options on the edge of the area and just hoofed it out for a goal-kick... maybe it was just a mis-hit, but he didn't appear to be trying very hard with it.

Yes I remember that, I think he was anticipating someone running in to the space he lobbed it in to.
He did that more than once yesterday, I felt for a lot of the time he holding on to the ball far too long or instead of trying to keep it simple would look to try something clever.

The main problem yesterday was everyones final ball and movement when they did not have it.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: MJG on September 12, 2011, 12:39:31 PM

He did that more than once yesterday, I felt for a lot of the time he holding on to the ball far too long or instead of trying to keep it simple would look to try something clever.

The main problem yesterday was everyones final ball and movement when they did not have it.

BZ was static for large periods of the game as well. Fulham play well in the channels, yesterday we hit the channels once and scored, other than that there was minimal movement up front. Which was dissappointing
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Burt

Agree Mr MJG sir.

The other problem was a lack of willingess / confidence to take a shot. There were 2 or 3 opportunities where someone could have had a pop, but chose to play the ball instead.

For all our posession in the second half, I think we only truly tested the keeper with that effort in the first minute of stoppage time.

MJG

Quote from: Burt on September 12, 2011, 12:44:47 PM

Agree Mr MJG sir.

The other problem was a lack of willingess / confidence to take a shot. There were 2 or 3 opportunities where someone could have had a pop, but chose to play the ball instead.

For all our posession in the second half, I think we only truly tested the keeper with that effort in the first minute of stoppage time.
the best bit of movement second half was from Murphy when he did the Murphy faint inside the box and got a shot off.
I just can't believe how many crosses/passess we made that never even beat the first defender.

supersub

Dempsey kept running in for a header behind someone who was about 7ft 6in - how did he think he was ever going to win that one?!

Tom Magee

Murphy never had legs to lose, but now it seems the brain has gone too.

No physical strength and personally I think his constant bookings show poor leadership, alongside the bollocking he gives other players when he mishits a pass

MJG

Quote from: Tom Magee on September 12, 2011, 01:18:00 PM
alongside the bollocking he gives other players when he mishits a pass
Its the worse I have ever seen him at doing that. Me an my old man play a game of how long into the game will Murphy make a mistake and raise his arm saying sorry.This season he's not even doing that, he's just blaming everyone else.
Taking that all into account, I would only drop him for Baird, I don't see anyone else who can take his place.