more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (14/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 14, 2011, 08:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bet Butler Preview

Bet Butler, the Official new online and in-stadium betting partner of Fulham FC, kick-off their first pre-match odds ahead of Thursday night's UEFA Europa League match against FC Twente at Craven Cottage.

Supporters attending fixtures at Craven Cottage this season will find Bet Butler staff and kiosks situated around the stadium. On Thursday evening there will be a host of odds available as Fulham take on FC Twente.

Martin Jol's team are available at 11/10 to take all three points against their Dutch opponents with Bobby Zamora to score first at 5/1.

Having reached the UEFA Europa League Final in 2010, Fulham are 33/1 to lift the trophy in 2012 and available at 16/1 to repeat their memorable feat of two years ago and reach the Final.

For further information on Fulham's new online and in-stadium betting partner visit www.betbutler.co.uk.

Follow the betbutler on twitter @thebetbutler for all the latest prices/offers and giveaways for Fulham FC.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/BetButlerTwentePreview.aspx?#ixzz1Xwhipa2O

WhiteJC

Euro headache for Jol
Fulham boss contemplating making changes for Europa League

Zamora: Could be rested for Thursday's Europa League game with FC Twente

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits he may have to rearrange his squad for the Europa League game against FC Twente on Thursday.

The Cottagers begin their group stage campaign after beating NSI Runavik, Crusaders, FC Dnipro and RNK Split in the qualification phase.

The intensity of their European schedule has meant that they have had to play three of their four Premier League games on Sunday afternoons this season.

The latest league game was a disappointing 1-1 draw with Blackburn at the weekend - a result which leaves them 18th in the division.

Record signing David Ruiz made his debut for the club in that fixture, but Jol admits he made a mistake in starting the striker.

He said: "You felt in the first half that there was some pressure from the crowd because they expect a lot and I thought it was better for him and probably better for us because he has to cope with English football and you can't expect him, after two days, to be in his prime."

Ruiz was signed from Thursday's opponents in August and cannot play after already making an appearance in the competition for the Dutch side.

Jol said: "He was pretty disgusted as well with the situation because he played a few games and he was injured before that, but that's the reality."

Zamora

Another player who may miss out is Bobby Zamora, with the weekend's game against Manchester City looming.

Jol said: "He's fully fit, but we've got another game on Sunday, so that is another decision to make.

"It could be a problem with the likes of Bobby Zamora - a bit older, maybe not 100% fit.

"Don't forget that we missed Bobby in three league matches as well, so that was a problem.

"If you play in the Europa on a Thursday, you have to play your league games on a Sunday - that is tough.

"And that is why we will change a few positions to keep a few players maybe fitter for Sunday."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7176971,00.html?

WhiteJC

Naylor on Trial

Building for the bright new future has to be an ongoing plan.

No club can afford to rest on its laurels and let time catch them out.

Down at Craven Cottage, those running affairs will be perfectly aware of the blindingly obvious facts I`ve stated above. It`s part of the mantra of being, and progressing, when you are a club of our size.

Therefore it`s pleasing to see that our recruitment campaign, if you can call it that, has been noticed by the tabloid press with it being reported that we`re interested in the young Mansfield defender, Tom Naylor.

Naylor, just twenty, is on a weeks` trial at Fulham having spend a similar period, last week, at Derby County.

It`ll be interesting to hear whether he`s impressed enough to earn a move, we`ll keep them peeled and report back if any news is forthcoming.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=255461#ixzz1XwiQv9u5

WhiteJC

MOTM v Blackburn Results

It may not have been the result we were after, last Sunday when we drew 1-1 in front of the Sky Sports television cameras against Blackburn, but there were still some decent moments.

Therefore we didn`t feel there was a necessity to veer away from the usual procedure of using our poll to establish a man-of-the-match.

Having let the poll run for three days, we`re now in a position to declare the top three, as voted for by you the Vital Fulham readership.

1st - Damien Duff - 29%
2nd - Moussa Dembele - 25%
3rd - Clint Dempsey - 19%

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=255460#ixzz1XwigdHMB

WhiteJC

Sods Law!

Sunday wasn`t the best of debut days for Bryan Ruiz.

Somewhat mesmerized by the speed of the play and the fact there is so little time to dally on the ball, our expensive Costa Rican forward was hauled off, by Martin Jol, at half time.

On paper, the Europa League looks an ideal competition in which Ruiz could flourish and use to acclimatize to the pace that English sides play the game at.

In fact the coincidence that our first game was against his old club would have given Ruiz that extra incentive to show the Craven Cottage supporters that he is a £10 million player.

But, sods law, Ruiz will be playing no part in our Europa League campaign having already played for FC Twente in Europe this season!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=255462#ixzz1XwiuRAn4

WhiteJC

Ruiz laments Euro ineligibility

Bryan Ruiz has said 'it's a pity' that he is unable to line up for Fulham against his former club FC Twente in the Europa League.

The Costa Rican international striker joined the Cottagers from the Dutch side in a £10.6million deal before last month's transfer deadline.

And, following a disappointing Premier League debut against Blackburn on Sunday, Ruiz was hopeful of getting another opportunity to show his abilities in Thursday's Europa League group encounter.

However, with Ruiz playing for FC Twente in a Champions League qualifier earlier this season, he is now cup-tied for Fulham's European push.

He said: "One of my nicest memories in football was with Twente. I scored 24 goals, we got 86 points and it was the first title in their history.

"It would have been good to play against them. It's a pity.

"Twente are really good. They keep the ball a lot, which is one of their best qualities, but the trainer Martin (Jol) will know how to play against them."

Meanwhile, Ruiz's fellow Fulham new boy Zdenek Grygera is aiming to help the club create more history in the Europa League after being a casualty in their run to the 2010 final.

The defender, who was snapped up from Italian giants Juventus by Cottagers boss Martin Jol just before the August 31 transfer deadline, was involved in the last-16 tie of the 2009-10 tournament when his then side blew a 4-1 aggregate lead to lose to Fulham.

It was one of the best comebacks in European football and Grygera recalled the special atmosphere at Craven Cottage which spurred on the home team.

And, ahead of Thursday's opening Group K clash with FC Twente, he told his club's official website: "Fulham turned a lot of heads when they knocked Juventus out of the competition and I've taken an interest ever since - when you are involved in a game like that it is only natural.

"I've played a few times against English teams over the years and, every time, I have been struck by the atmosphere in and around the grounds, and Craven Cottage was no different.

"Even though it is small in comparison to some, the atmosphere was fantastic and made for a great setting.

"It was a difficult night for those on the losing side but, of course, it was a special night for Fulham.

"It's not often an Italian team concedes four goals - you rarely see that happen.

"But Fulham played the better football, showed more fight and, in the end, were the team that deserved the win.

"It's funny how things work out. It shows that in football you just never know what will happen.

"I'm very happy to be opening a new chapter in my career and hopefully I can share similar lasting memories with the fans.

"This is a country that loves its football and I'm always impressed by the way the game is played and the manner in which the fans follow."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/09/14/No-friends-reunited-for-Cottage-ace/gnid-108912/?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Jol ready to take on old friends Twente

Fulham FC manager Martin Jol needs no introduction to Group K opponents FC Twente, the club he played for and who then pipped his AFC Ajax team to the Dutch title in 2010.

Martin Jol is a former Twente player
©Getty Images

Martin Jol was reluctant to dwell on past disappointment inflicted by FC Twente as the Fulham FC boss looked ahead to renewing acquaintances with his countrymen and former club on UEFA Europa League matchday one.

Sixteen months ago an AFC Ajax team coached by Jol ended the 2009/10 Eredivisie season with 106 goals, the best defence and a 14-match winning run dating back to February – a sequence which featured a 3-0 home victory over Fulham's Group K opponents on Thursday.

Despite those impressive statistics, Ajax were unable to deny the Enschede club their first Dutch title, finishing the campaign a point behind Steve McClaren's then charges. "They never had any injuries but maybe that will change now they are playing on a Thursday," recalled Jol, who left Ajax last December.

"I can remember that Bryan Ruiz, for example, scored eight goals in the last five or six minutes of games and that was infuriating, though I don't want to think about it any more because it's in the past."

If Ajax's near miss still rankles with the 55-year-old, Jol was more effusive when asked about how Twente have progressed since his spell there as a midfielder from 1979 to 1982.

"When I played we were in the top five or six and always playing in Europe, but now they've made some big steps and were champions two seasons ago and have been involved in the Champions League," said Jol, who is likely to be without Aaron Hughes, Philippe Senderos and Dickson Etuhu for the visit of Co Adriaanse's men.

"I can't say they are lucky all the time with their signings, but they've always bought a high percentage of good players. Their good players have certainly done well. For example, on the left they had [Eljero] Elia and [Miroslav] Stoch and now they have Ola John, so they've all done well."

The encounter at Craven Cottage in west London – where Fulham defend a 20-match unbeaten home record in Europe – assumed added interest when Fulham paid a reported €12.2m on deadline day for Twente striker Bryan Ruiz, whose 24 goals two terms ago were largely responsible for Jol and Ajax missing out on the championship.

His participation for the Tukkers in UEFA Champions League qualifying means the Costa Rican international cannot face his old employers, yet even so Jol has refrained from picking the forward's brains because "we all know Twente so well".

Jol's debut on the Fulham bench came in the first qualifying round of this competition on 30 June, an early start to the season which has been cited as a possible reason why the UEFA Respect Fair Play entrants have failed to win any of their opening four top-flight games for the first time since 1951.

"If you play your best team all the time, that is a gamble," added Jol. "We wanted to be in the group stage so we played our best team [in qualifying] and, of course, playing against sides not involved in Europe could be a problem."

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1678510.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham    v    FC Twente

Europa League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Thursday, 15 September Kick-off: 2005 BST Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live and live TV coverage on Channel 5.

Fulham are considering resting striker Bobby Zamora against FC Twente, while fellow forward Bryan Ruiz is cup-tied.

Cottagers manager Martin Jol said: "He [Bobby] is fully fit, but we've got another game on Sunday, so that is another decision to make."

Ruiz made his debut against Blackburn on Sunday but was replaced at half-time.

"In hindsight, I would have started Moussa Dembele and then brought Ruiz on," Jol admitted.

"Your first game is always difficult if you come to the Premier League. Of course, it's a different tempo and he lost the ball a couple of times."

Any decision to leave out Zamora would be made with Sunday's visit of Manchester City in mind.

Speaking about the number of games Fulham have to play at home and abroad, Jol said: "It could be a problem with the likes of Bobby Zamora - a bit older, maybe not 100% fit.

"Don't forget that we missed Bobby in three league matches as well, so that was a problem."

The former Tottenham boss added that other influential players could be left out of the side as Fulham begin their campaign in the Europa League, a competition they enjoyed in 2009-10, when they reached the final.

"If you play in the Europa on a Thursday, you have to play your league games on a Sunday - that is tough," he said.

"And that is why we will change a few positions to keep a few players maybe fitter for Sunday."

Aaron Hughes is out after going off injured in the 1-1 draw against Blackburn and is also doubtful for the Manchester City game. Philippe Senderos is ill and Dickson Etuhu is struggling with a thigh problem.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Somogyi, Baird, Hangeland, Kelly, Grygera, JA Riise, BH Riise, Duff, Sidwell, Dembele, Dempsey, Etuhu, Gecov, Murphy, Sa, Zamora, Johnson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14832894.stm?

WhiteJC

Jol: I shouldn't have started Ruiz against Blackburn

Martin Jol today admitted he had made a mistake starting record signing Bryan Ruiz in Fulham's disappointing Barclays Premier League draw with Blackburn.

Jol's decision to throw his new £10.6million striker in at the deep end backfired on Sunday, with Ruiz hauled off at half-time after failing to cope with the pace of the English game.

And Cottagers boss Jol held his hands up this afternoon, acknowledging he should have given Ruiz a more gentle introduction by starting Mousa Dembele and bringing the new man off the bench.

Jol said: "In hindsight, I would have started Mousa and then brought him on because he's good when there's a lot of pressure on the goal, space in the box, and Bryan Ruiz probably would have given us a lot second half."

Jol added: "It's always difficult - if you come to the Premier League - your first game.

"I wouldn't say it's a gamble but you have to start somewhere and that was a decision we had to make and I made the decision to play him.

"But, of course, it's a different tempo and he lost the ball a couple of times."

Explaining the decision to substitute the Costa Rica star, Jol said: "You felt in the first half that there was some pressure from the crowd because they expect a lot and I thought it was better for him and probably better for us because he has to cope with English football and you can't expect him, after two days, to be in his prime."

Ruiz will have to wait for his next opportunity, with the forward cup-tied for tomorrow night's Europa League Group K opener against his former club, FC Twente.

The 26-year-old will not be able to feature in the competition until the new year after playing for Twente during their failed Champions League qualifying campaign.

Jol, who revealed he would not draw on Ruiz's inside knowledge of tomorrow's opponents, said: "He was pretty disgusted as well with the situation because he played a few games and he was injured before that, but that's the reality."

Jol appears ready to risk resting Bobby Zamora tomorrow night, with Sunday's Premier League clash against Manchester City in mind.

"He's fully fit, but we've got another game on Sunday, so that is another decision to make," the Dutchman said.

"It could be a problem with the likes of Bobby Zamora - a bit older, maybe not a 100% fit.

"Don't forget that we missed Bobby in three league matches as well, so that was a problem."

Others could also be given the night off.

"If you play in the Europa on a Thursday, you have to play your league games on a Sunday - that is tough," said Jol, who is still searching for his first Premier League win in charge.

Jol has a score to settle with Twente after they pipped his Ajax side to the 2010 Dutch title by a single point.

"They never had any injuries then," he said.

"They have to play on Thursdays now, so I think they will have a little problem.

"I can remember that Bryan Ruiz, for example, scored seven or eight goals in the last five or six minutes and that was disgusting.

"But I don't want to think about it anymore because that is in the past."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-boss-Martin-Jol-I-shouldn-t-have-started-Bryan-Ruiz-against-Blackburn-article799203.html#ixzz1XwkR1opo