watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (14/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 14, 2011, 08:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'I will never forget losing to Fulham with Juventus in the Europa League' - Zdenek Grygera
The Cottagers' famous victory over the Italian side during the 2009-10 Europa League has stayed with Grygera, who was part of the defeat

New Fulham signing Zdenek Grygera has admitted that he first took an interest in the Craven Cottage club after losing to them with Juventus.

Grygera was a part of the Juventus squad that lead Fulham 3-1 before the second-leg of the round of 16 during the 2009-10 Europa League campaign, but his side still failed to progress.

In the return leg at Craven Cottage, Juve took the lead to open a three-goal lead, but back came the Cottagers and claimed a 4-1 win, a match that Grygera will never forget and the game he really took notice of Fulham.

Speaking to the Fulham's official website, Grygera said: "Fulham turned a lot of heads when they knocked Juventus out of the competition and I've taken an interest ever since - when you are involved in a game like that it is only natural.

"I've played a few times against English teams over the years and, every time, I have been struck by the atmosphere in and around the grounds, and Craven Cottage was no different.

"Even though it is small in comparison to some, the atmosphere was fantastic and made for a great setting.

"It was a difficult night for those on the losing side but, of course, it was a special night for Fulham.

"It's not often an Italian team concedes four goals - you rarely see that happen, but Fulham played the better football, showed more fight and, in the end, were the team that deserved the win.

Grygera, who joined Fulham from Juventus in recent weeks, is happy to be at the club and excited to start another part of his career.

He continued: "It's funny how things work out. It shows that in football you just never know what will happen.

"I'm very happy to be opening a new chapter in my career and hopefully I can share similar lasting memories with the fans.

"This is a country that loves its football and I'm always impressed by the way the game is played and the manner in which the fans follow."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/09/13/2664264/i-will-never-forget-losing-to-fulham-with-juventus-in-the-europa-?

WhiteJC

Press kit for Thursday's game

Of no great insight but the sort of thing I'd have loved to have when a bit younger.  What a world we live in now, eh? All the facts and figures you might want.

http://www.uefa.com/printoutfiles/competitions/uefacup/2012/E/E_2007296_pk.pdf

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/press-kit-for-thursdays-game/?

WhiteJC

Lost in the Maze

One year ago our new manager had to hit the ground running. This year's appointee had all summer to prepare and Europa League ties to test out his squad. We've more pieces to the jigsaw, but Jol can't get them to fit.
The players looked confused. The fans certainly were. Somehow Sunday one of the poorest sides in the division held out to nick a point. Although the score at the interval was about right, with Blackburn seeing plenty of the ball, our overwhelming possession from the second period makes it all the more criminal that Robinson had but two real saves to make in the whole game.

Rarely have observations to this blog been so unanimous, whether from eye witnesses or those following us on TV, that Jol's folly of tinkering with one of the best centre-back pairings in the league is detrimental to the team. As Joilett down the left was Rovers only real threat, a rare talent that lad, it was perhaps fortuitous Aaron only lasted 20 minutes. Kelly to be fair played well, but is he really now ahead of Baird? It's time the press started asked some straight questions of the boss as to tactics and his preferences. Once he comes out and tells us Chris Baird's not in his plans we can all stop fretting and move on.

There's plenty of questions I'd be putting to Jol right now if I had the chance. We all saw Fulham attempt to pass their way through the pack. Fair enough if Jol has told them to stick to the game plan and be patient. But surely good managers react to what's happening on the pitch. With Samba off at the break and Dunn departing soon after we should have stepped it up much sooner. I would have had the quicker impulses of Kasami on for Murphy and put Dempsey up alongside BZ, who too often was drifting out towards the corner flag. Starting Ruiz was a mistake, but I guess understandable when you want to show off your big new signing. Dembele needs to seriously re-invent himself. I've already questioned his value to the side going forward. With three home games this week let's lay off the gaffer for now. We assume the side are being asked to change the way they play, but always remember football is a simple game. We're way over complicating it at present. 4-2-3-1 or whatever it is. You have a ball. When you've got it and you see something called the 'goal,' have a whack at it!

With the game on TV and Twente, Man City and a little stroll up the Fulham Road to you know who all in the offing, Fulham did well to all but fill the ground with their various discounts. It was great to see so many youngsters attending, let's hope they come again with a better result. Meanwhile we have to live with being a bottom three side for now. If that has not changed after the QPR game Martin might find the natives giving him some stick.

My other thoughts on the game were that Mister Webb did not have his finest hour and that Salgado definitely barged into Bobby for a clear penalty in the first half. When you look at that incident compared to the pen Walters won at Stoke...no wonder Kenny was fuming. And I'll say it again, at present I still don't see what JAR brings to the party that Briggs doesn't.

Now my long-suffering friends. If you think you've got problems, I was treated to one disgrunted Rovers fan after another on Five Live driving away from the game. They clearly don't rate Kean, who was rumoured to be under threat had Blackburn taken a pasting. The fans have sent a petition to the owners demanding change, and guess who they want back at Ewood? Mr. Mark Hughes no less. I sympathise. Kean is punching way above his weight, has done little in the transfer market to inspire confidence, and spirited as their rearguard action was Sunday, I still tip them for the drop.

News ahead of the Twente tie coming up. Another game with tickets for a tenner. Will be interesting to see who gets a game Thursday before the daunting task of dealing with Citeh at the weekend.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/09/85555fffffffffffffffffffffffff.php?

cebu

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/JolTwentePreview.aspx

Fulham manager Martin Jol revealed that Fulham have an almost fully fit squad ahead of Thursday night's UEFA Europa League match against FC Twente at Craven Cottage| (KO 8.05pm).

Fulham have three games against FC Twente, Manchester City and Chelsea over the next week and Jol was keeping his team selection for Thursday's game under wraps as he revealed the latest fitness news.

"Bobby Zamora is fully fit now, but we've got another game on Sunday, so that is another decision to make, " said Jol.

"Aaron Hughes is a big doubt for Thursday night so we'll try and get him fit for Sunday.

"Philippe Senderos is ill and Dickson Etuhu has a little problem with his thigh.

"It's always tough to play your Europa games on the Thursday and then your League games on the Sunday.

"That is why we will change a few positions [on Thursday night] to keep a few players fitter for Sunday's game against Manchester City."

Mr Fulham

Without Senderos and Hughes then? Does that mean Bairdinho will return to the side?

cebu

Quote from: Mr Fulham on September 14, 2011, 04:35:10 PM
Without Senderos and Hughes then? Does that mean Bairdinho will return to the side?

Maybe Jol's hand will be forced ... unless he sticks Briggs at CB.

MJG

Why is it so hard to play Sunday then thursday, but not Saturday and then Wednesday?

WhiteJC

QPR & Everton Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's forthcoming Barclays Premier League matches against QPR and Everton at Craven Cottage are now on sale to Members.

Fulham play West London rivals QPR on Sunday 2nd October (KO 3pm) in what will be the first competitive match between the two teams since the 2000/01 season. Tickets will not go on General Sale for this fixture.

Martin Jol's team will then welcome Everton to Craven Cottage on Sunday 23rd October (KO 1.30pm) and tickets will remain on sale to Members before going on General Sale on the 21st September.

As a special 'thank you' to all of our loyal Fulham Members' Club members the Club is offering a £5 discount on match tickets for Fulham's games against QPR and Everton.

This offer is valid in all areas of the stadium (subject to availability, 1 per member) and expires at 5pm on Friday 22st October.

Members can purchase discounted tickets online, in person at the Ticket Office at Craven Cottage or by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/QPREvertonMembersOnSale.aspx?#ixzz1Xwe7Ra8H

WhiteJC

Europa Squad for Group Stages Announced

This seems to have flown under the radar a bit with all the hand-wringing about Sunday, but our squad for the Europa League group stages has been announced. Not too many surprises, except one.

Goalies
1 Mark Schwarzer
22 Csaba Somogyi
38 Neil Etheridge*
41 Marcus Bettinelli*
44 Jesse Joronen*

Defenders
2 Stephen Kelly
3 John Arne Riise
5 Brede Hangeland
6 Chris Baird
14 Philippe Senderos
18 Aaron Hughes
26 Zdenek Grygera
28 Matthew Briggs*
39 Stephen Arthurworrey*
40 Alex Smith*

Midfielders
4 Steve Sidwell
10 Pajtim Kasami
13 Danny Murphy
15 Marcel Gecov
16 Damien Duff
20 Dickson Etuhu
21 Kerim Frei
23 Clint Dempsey
37 Courtney Harris*
43 Josh Pritchard*

Forwards
8 Andrew Johnson
9 Orlando Sá
25 Bobby Zamora
30 Moussa Dembélé
35 Richard Peniket*
42 Marcello Trotta*

No, the surprise is not Ruiz. UEFA laws stipulate that a player cannot register for any other team that's also in the group stage, even if said team "qualified" by dropping down from the Champions League. Silly rule, but something we should have known and Jol should have considered.

Also not included is Bjorn Helge Riise, which means a loan spell should be on the cards for the other, other, Norwegian.

But it's Simon Davies exclusion that I find most surprising. Yes, he's injured, so it would make sense not to include him.

Yet this makes his injury seem much more permanent to me. It drives home the point that, unfortunately, he won't feature for the side for a long, long time. And . more importantly, the club isn't waiting around for him.

If Zamora (or Murphy, or Hangeland) were injured but was targeted to come back in early winter, we'd probably include him anyway considering his impact to the side when available. But Davies' ongoing knee injury and the other players waiting in the wings for his spot means he won't even make an appearance in the final group stage match even if his recovery goes swimmingly (initial reports on his injury said a five month layoff, but physioroom has him down for November).

Sad.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/europa-squad-for-group-stages-announced/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz gutted to miss Twente test

BRYAN Ruiz admits he's disappointed he won't be able to face former club FC Twente tomorrow night.

The Costa Rican hitman misses the Europa League group clash against his old team-mates as he's cup-tied following an appearance for the Dutch outfit in a Champions League qualifier earlier this season.

Fulham's stars have been picking the brains of the £10.6million deadline-day signing, but he reckons Martin Jol will know all about Twente from his time in charge of Ajax.

He said: "One of my nicest memories in football was with Twente. I scored 24 goals, we got 86 points and it was the first title in their history.

"It would have been good to play against them. It's a pity.

"Twente are really good. They keep the ball a lot, which is one of their best qualities, but the trainer Martin [Jol] will know how to play against them."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/14/ruiz-gutted-to-miss-twente-test-82029-29419959/?#ixzz1XwemiF4a

WhiteJC

Cherries fail in Naylor bid
Cox wants clubs interested in defender to make a decision

Mansfield Town have rejected a second offer from Bournemouth for promising defender Tom Naylor, who is currently on trial at Fulham.

Naylor has been attracting interest from several clubs and spent last week training with Derby County before linking up with the Cottagers.

He is also a target for Bournemouth, but Mansfield boss Paul Cox has confirmed the League One side's reported five-figure offer has been turned down.

Cox told the club's official website: "The bid we received from Bournemouth does not match our valuation of Tom.

"The only time we will let Tom leave is if we receive adequate compensation for him."

Messing around

After training with Derby last week, Naylor featured in the Stags' 5-0 win over Newport on Saturday and Cox is keen for any clubs interested in the 20-year-old to make a fair offer.

He added: "I don't want league clubs messing us around. They have to make a decision on him.

"If they didn't want to make a decision we'll close the door because I don't want Tom's head being kept turned.

"You want his sights set on us if he is stopping with us, or if he is going to get a move, you want that done quickly. It's not good for both parties if he is being messed around."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7176056,00.html?

WhiteJC

Coping

I get miserable when Fulham aren't winning. The odd game is OK but the longer a winless run continues the more I begin to brood on it. Pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

The Blackburn game was a chance to put everything right, start finding that missing 10%, that final killer ball, that clinical finish in the box. A game against a side that's struggling as much as us and, on paper, doesn't look especially worrying. We might have dominated possession, in the second half at least, but we never looked like we completely knew what we were doing. Popular opinion suggested that whilst our early start to the competitive season might mean a long hard season we should at least "hit the ground running" and get off to a decent start. Clearly that's not going to happen.

Expectations will need to be revised.

It took us four games with Hughes to win a game but we'd drawn the rest and were sitting 5th in the league on a decent 6 points. By the end of November we were 17th and had only averaged one point a game. It took the miracle at Stoke to lift us out of the mire and set us up for a remarkable points collection from then until the end of the season.

To coin another popular turn of phrase, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Of course none of the above probably makes you feel any better about the team. It certainly hasn't helped me. So, how to cope. I can't go on holiday, I only just got back from a lovely week in Cornwall. That at least enabled me to be more or less completely oblivious to the closing of the transfer window. In fact the first I heard about any deadline day deals was when Mrs Chop overheard a man in Morrison's suggest Arsenal had signed five players. It turned out he was right, though it would be another four hours before the BBC was able to confirm this. Which just goes to show something. Possibly.

Maybe I should grow up a bit and accept that football isn't the most important thing in the world and there are far worse things happening than my team losing the odd game. Obviously that's not going to happen. I'm with Bill Shankly on this one.

In the end I think I've found the most solace by living in the past. I finally got hold of a copy of the late Peter Thompson's (Pensioner round these parts) original book "Following The Fulham" and it has been a joy to read. A reminder that we've never had it so good. That we're at the top of the game and that really, things aren't so bad after all.

I can't say I'm happy but I'm optimistic enough to think things will turn around sooner rather than later. We have two tough games coming up. We might not win them. There's a good chance we'll lose. But at least we're there, we're playing the best teams, not just in the League but also in Europe.

Bring it on, I'm ready.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/coping/?

WhiteJC

Europa Team News

Fulham manager Martin Jol revealed that Fulham have an almost fully fit squad ahead of Thursday night's UEFA Europa League match against FC Twente at Craven Cottage (KO 8.05pm).

Fulham have three games against FC Twente, Manchester City and Chelsea over the next week and Jol was keeping his team selection for Thursday's game under wraps as he revealed the latest fitness news.

"Bobby Zamora is fully fit now, but we've got another game on Sunday, so that is another decision to make, " said Jol.

"Aaron Hughes is a big doubt for Thursday night so we'll try and get him fit for Sunday.

"Philippe Senderos is ill and Dickson Etuhu has a little problem with his thigh.

"It's always tough to play your Europa games on the Thursday and then your League games on the Sunday.

"That is why we will change a few positions [on Thursday night] to keep a few players fitter for Sunday's game against Manchester City."

'Fulham will face FC Twente at the Cottage on Thursday 15th September in the Group Stages of the UEFA Europa League. This friendship scarf is part of the official UEFA Europa League range and at just £8.99 it is a great addition to the UEFA Europa League merchandise collection!'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/JolTwentePreview.aspx?#ixzz1XwfcxoQw

WhiteJC

Game Preview - Fulham vs FC Twente

Bryan Ruiz may not be able to participate on Thursday evening when FC Twente visit Craven Cottage, but he will undoubtedly have a lot to say about what his former club, and former Dutch champions, have to offer. 'A fair bit' would be a decent summary, but it does Twente little justice when you consider the extent of their rise from bland mediocrity to champions under Steve McLaren in 2010. The club, who hail from Enschede, were led on a path lavished with bankruptcy and Champions League humiliation, but McLaren, a man we English are all too familiar with, turned fortunes around at the club who continue to be highly regarded in their home country, finishing 2nd last season.

This season marks their latest escapade into the world of European football and, despite a consistent record of qualifying for the Champions League over recent years, football on the continent is not something Twente can claim to be good at. Their only notable foray into the starlight was a runners up medal in the UEFA Cup of 1975.

Relative European non-adventures will play little part in the outcome of Thursday night's game, however, and it is Twente's attacking threat that will pose the biggest problems for Jol and his men. Co Adriansse's side scored 65 goals in their 2010/11 league campaign - extravagant when matched to out paltry 49. However, as Bryan Ruiz can most assuredly testify, the Dutch game differs immensely from that of our own and for that reason alone, we should not over-estimate the threat they pose. Twente will attack with potency, but even with the likes of Ruiz cup-tied and Kasami still finding his feet, it's not ludicrous to predict Fulham claiming a first win in four games.

Twente have struggled for undeviating form of late, winning two and losing two of their last four games - a 5-1 away win over Heerenveen being a highlight. Fulham, in not-so-splendid contrast, have been found lacking with regards to fire-power. Two goals in fours games has not put any smiles on Hammersmith End faces.

Simon Davies is still absent through injury and will therefore join Bryan Ruiz from the sidelines for Fulham, while Adriansse's team have little to worry about team selection wise.

Predicted Line-Up: Schwarzer; Riise, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird; Duff, Murphy, Sidwell, Dempsey; Dembele, Zamora

Score Prediction: Fulham 1 - 0 FC Twente

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/9/14/2424730/game-preview-fulham-vs-fc-twente?

WhiteJC

FULHAM TO REST ZAMORA

Fulham look set to rest Bobby Zamora for Thursday night's Europa League Group K opener against FC Twente.

Fellow forward Bryan Ruiz is cup tied against his former club having played for them during Champions League qualifying, although he will be available should the Cottagers reach the knockout phase.

Aaron Hughes is out after going off injured in Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash with Blackburn and is also doubtful for Manchester City this weekend, while Philippe Senderos is ill and Dickson Etuhu is struggling with a thigh injury.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Somogyi, Baird, Hangeland, Kelly, Grygera, JA Riise, BH Riise, Duff, Sidwell, Dembele, Dempsey, Etuhu, Gecov, Murphy, Sa, Zamora, Johnson.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/14/manual_151402.html

WhiteJC

JOL REGRETS STARTING RUIZ

Martin Jol has admitted he made a mistake starting record signing Bryan Ruiz in Fulham's disappointing Barclays Premier League draw with Blackburn.

Jol's decision to throw his new £10.6million striker in at the deep end backfired on Sunday, with Ruiz hauled off at half-time after failing to cope with the pace of the English game.

And Cottagers boss Jol has held his hands up, acknowledging he should have given Ruiz a more gentle introduction by starting Mousa Dembele and bringing the new man off the bench.

Jol said: "In hindsight, I would have started Mousa and then brought him on because he's good when there's a lot of pressure on the goal, space in the box, and Bryan Ruiz probably would have given us a lot second half."

Jol added: "It's always difficult - if you come to the Premier League - your first game. I wouldn't say it's a gamble but you have to start somewhere and that was a decision we had to make and I made the decision to play him.

"But, of course, it's a different tempo and he lost the ball a couple of times."

Explaining the decision to substitute the Costa Rica star, Jol said: "You felt in the first half that there was some pressure from the crowd because they expect a lot and I thought it was better for him and probably better for us because he has to cope with English football and you can't expect him, after two days, to be in his prime."

Ruiz will have to wait for his next opportunity, with the forward cup-tied for Thursday night's Europa League Group K opener against his former club, FC Twente.

The 26-year-old will not be able to feature in the competition until the new year after playing for Twente during their failed Champions League qualifying campaign.

Jol, who revealed he would not draw on Ruiz's inside knowledge of Thursday's opponents, said: "He was pretty disgusted as well with the situation because he played a few games and he was injured before that, but that's the reality."

Jol appears ready to risk resting Bobby Zamora, with Sunday's Premier League clash against Manchester City in mind.

"He's fully fit, but we've got another game on Sunday, so that is another decision to make," the Dutchman said.

"It could be a problem with the likes of Bobby Zamora - a bit older, maybe not a 100% fit. Don't forget that we missed Bobby in three league matches as well, so that was a problem."

Others could also be given the night off.

"If you play in the Europa on a Thursday, you have to play your league games on a Sunday - that is tough," said Jol, who is still searching for his first Premier League win in charge.

"And that is why we will change a few positions to keep a few players maybe fitter for Sunday."

Jol has a score to settle with Twente after they pipped his Ajax side to the 2010 Dutch title by a single point.

"They never had any injuries then," he said.

"They have to play on Thursdays now, so I think they will have a little problem.

"I can remember that Bryan Ruiz, for example, scored seven or eight goals in the last five or six minutes and that was disgusting.

"But I don't want to think about it anymore because that is in the past."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/14/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html

WhiteJC

GRYGERA RARING TO GO FOR FULHAM

Zdenek Grygera is dreaming of helping Fulham enjoy more glory nights in the Europa League after being on the wrong end of arguably the greatest result in the club's history.

Grygera was part of the Juventus side that led 4-1 on aggregate at Craven Cottage in a last-16 tie a year and a half ago before being stunned by one of the most unlikely comebacks ever seen in European football.

The defender, who joined Fulham on transfer deadline day, admitted he would "never forget" the atmosphere that night and revealed he was hoping to experience it again, starting in Thursday's opening Group K clash with FC Twente.

He told his club's official website: "Fulham turned a lot of heads when they knocked Juventus out of the competition and I've taken an interest ever since - when you are involved in a game like that it is only natural.

"I've played a few times against English teams over the years and, every time, I have been struck by the atmosphere in and around the grounds, and Craven Cottage was no different.

"Even though it is small in comparison to some, the atmosphere was fantastic and made for a great setting.

"It was a difficult night for those on the losing side but, of course, it was a special night for Fulham.

"It's not often an Italian team concedes four goals - you rarely see that happen.

"But Fulham played the better football, showed more fight and, in the end, were the team that deserved the win.

"It's funny how things work out. It shows that in football you just never know what will happen.

"I'm very happy to be opening a new chapter in my career and hopefully I can share similar lasting memories with the fans.

"This is a country that loves its football and I'm always impressed by the way the game is played and the manner in which the fans follow."

Grygera became the seventh of 10 new arrivals this summer, joining John Arne Riise and Pajtim Kasami in making the move from Serie A.

"You can see that football in England is different to football in Italy," said the 31-year-old, who will be hoping to make his debut on Thursday.

"It is a lot more physical over here and, in my opinion, the game is played at a higher level, although in Italy it is arguably more tactical.

"It was a great honour to play for a club like Juventus - one of the most renowned and successful clubs not just in Italy, but perhaps even the world.

"But, after four seasons in Turin, I am now concentrating on being here and doing well for Fulham."

The former Ajax star added: "I am a bit older than most of the others that have come in, but I like to think that I bring a lot of experience.

"I'm hopeful that everything will work out for me here and, like all new signings, that I can provide my new team with something extra.

"I'm known for my versatility and, in recent years, more often than not, I have played in either of the full-back positions. But then, at Ajax, I played more in the centre of defence, so it's difficult to say what exactly my best position is.

"Fulham play a different style, so we'll see where I can establish myself."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/13/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v FC Twente preview

eam news for Thursday night's Europa League Group K opener between Fulham and FC Twente at Craven Cottage (kick-off 8.05pm).

Fulham look set to rest Bobby Zamora for the game against the Dutch outfit.

Fellow forward Bryan Ruiz is cup tied against his former club having played for them during Champions League qualifying, although he will be available should the Cottagers reach the knockout phase.

Aaron Hughes is out after going off injured in Sunday's Premier League clash with Blackburn and is also doubtful for Manchester City this weekend, while Philippe Senderos is ill and Dickson Etuhu is struggling with a thigh injury.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Somogyi, Baird, Hangeland, Kelly, Grygera, JA Riise, BH Riise, Duff, Sidwell, Dembele, Dempsey, Etuhu, Gecov, Murphy, Sa, Zamora, Johnson.

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/7176839/Fulham-v-FC-Twente-preview?

WhiteJC

Europa League requires reform

For all the junketing journeys and for all the anticipation that comes hand in hand with even the bleakest of Thursday evenings, there is little doubt in that the Europa League is a flawed concept.

I'm sure the proposals behind it are quite simple and make the sanest of sense - a European competition that is open to a broader range of clubs. It's almost a liberal Champions League. Perhaps, though, that is the root of the problem. The Europa League will always live in the shadow of its elder, and undeniably greater, sibling. Even with stupefying attempts to derail some of the World's loftier teams, such as Fulham's very own escapade into the unknown of 2010, the coverage offered is minimal and the attention paid even less so.

For every plaudit Fulham received there were a hundred or so more launched the way of Pep Guardiola's Barcelona.

As much as I complain about the inconsistencies, however, it doesn't make it any less certain that they will recur. Ferguson and Mancini will be the ones blushing when the English press drool at their every word and offer flattering superlatives in return, while the minor miracles of European football's secondary competition go unnoticed, almost as if it were an underground poker game of the illegal sort. The only people who can truly enjoy it are those in the thick of it.

And yet, the expeditions deep into the continent offer so much. As put so wondrously by Jim Beglin on a certain night in which Hamburg visited Craven Cottage: 'This is special. Yeah, we get to work on the champions in this league a lot, we see some big games and we get some special moments, but this is really, really special. What a team, what heart, what character, what spirit, what an attitude they've got, wonderful.'

It won't stop the ignorance, though, because it's just the way of the World. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United; they all deserve their praise and there'll be no shortage of it.

The secondary nature of the Europa League is never more prevalent, nonetheless, then when teams drop out of the Champions League and find themselves cosily placed into the knock-out stages of a competition that the remainder of sides have fought so hard to be in. Is it really fair that Fulham can play 19 games to make a final, and Atletico Madrid merely 9?

Atletico are still the righteous winners by default, of course, and they celebrated as though they had been truly gifted a wondrous opportunity. That, they had. But it should be one they never received.

Hodgson's team of the time would have been even less fatigued if it weren't for the ceaseless qualifying involved. As current manager at Fulham, Martin Jol, can most assuredly testify, the early start this year did his newly inherited side no favours at all, and trips to the Faroe Islands and Croatia were nothing short of arduous. Qualifying procedures require enormous refinements and the necessary level of achievement to even be considered for the tournament needs upping twofold.

As it stands, sides of far greater ability are flying halfway across the World to face teams that are so inferior that in their heads they are already beaten. Even the fans can find 8-0 wins in the depths of Montenegro a tad monotonous.

And, with the increased strain on schedules comes a distinct downturn in domestic form. Eight Europa League ties down, and Fulham find themselves in the relegation spaces with only 2 points on the board in the Premier League - and those that felt that Europe may have benefited our new domestic campaign have been bitterly proven wrong.

This is far from an argument that the Europa League should be scrapped - it should merely be changed. Fewer matches played, more able teams to compete with and a certain sense of individuality from the Champions League is what's required. No Atletico Madrid drop outs and no merciless trips to airports with only vending machines to welcome you.

The Europa League needs to be a separate entity in which some form of elite competes and then the winner can at least feel some level of gratification. I'd rather Fulham won that than anything on offer right now.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/9/14/2424834/europa-league-requires-reform?

WhiteJC

Euro blunder by Ruiz may have led him to Fulham

Fulham v FC Twente - Europa League, Thursday, 8.05pm

MARTIN Jol has admitted his new £10.6m striker Bryan Ruiz might not have joined the club had he realised he would not be playing any European football this season.

Ruiz, who made an undistinguished debut against Blackburn on Sunday, thought he had signed for a club which could guarantee Europa League football – not realising that an appearance in Champions League qualifiers for FC Twente in pre-season has left him cup tied.

That means he cannot appear against his former club in tomorrow night's opening group stage game in the Europa League at Craven Cottage..

"He was pretty disgusted with the situation," said the Fulham boss (pictured), who played for the Dutch side for three years in the early 80s. "That was a problem for him because he thought that he could be playing.

"If he had known before, it would have been a problem, maybe. I knew [he couldn't play] but I didn't know it was an issue [for Ruiz].

"I don't agree with this rule. If you have played for another team, then you should not be involved in the same competition, but this is a new competition. I don't think I can do anything about it. Maybe Sir Alex could," he joked.

Jol admits that on reflection, he should not have started Ruiz in at the weekend, who he withdrew at half-time.

"For him, it was good to know how we play over here, but in hindsight, I would have started Moussa [Dembele] and then brought him [Ruiz] on in the second half when he probably would have given us a lot in the second half.

"It's always difficult when you come to the Premiership, first game. I won't say it was a gamble [to play him on Sunday] but you have to start somewhere and that was the decision we had to make.

"Of course it was difficult and he lost the ball a couple of times and I think in the first half, he felt there was some pressure from the crowd because they expect a lot.

"Brian Ruiz is probably one of the best player in Holland over the last five years but he has to cope with English football and you can't expect him after two days to be in his prime."

Jol, with half an eye on next Sunday's visit of Manchester City, may rest Bobby Zamora against Twente, while he will be without an injured Aaron Hughes.

Dickson Etuhu has a thigh strain and Brede Hangeland has been ill, but the Norwegian should play alongside Chris Baird in central defence.

Jol played his best sides to ensure qualification for the group stages and will again play a strong hand. But he will be looking for a better return from crosses than against Blackburn.

"If you have 45 crosses like we had and you are only three or four times at the end of it, then you've got a lack of cutting edge. You have to attack the ball and be eager to score goals," he said, saying Damien Duff might have to put more crosses in with his left foot, rather than his right foot.

Probable line-up: Schwarzer, Briggs, Baird, Hangeland, Riise, Duff, Murphy, Sidwell, Dempsey, Johnson, Dembele.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/09/14/euro-blunder-by-ruiz-may-have-led-him-to-fulham-64767-29422363/?