News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: How to make electricity with two candles - video...

Started by LBNo11, September 13, 2011, 03:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...absolutely nothing to do with football, but my BIL just sent this to me and I was amazed. It's not even funny, just interesting - I wonder how many people will try this experiment out now..?

Candle Power
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

I may have only scraped my physics GCSE but I am struggling to see how this is possible.

I smell a rat...

Burt

It won't stop me having a go when I get home though  :57:

The Doctor

This is why I love science.  The only thing that would have improved that video would have been some sort of explanation of what's going on (Johnny Ball style), seeing as how my studies of electromagnetism are a long way behind me

At least I know how to keep the TV going during a power cut...

EDIT: that's what I like, Burt: a bit of healthy cynicism.  I'm sure magnetising the nails generates a static charge, so presumably lighting the candles acts as a trigger to start the electrons moving?  Do the nails therefore have to be in contact with the wick?  I don't know, but it's finding out stuff like this that makes it all so interesting!

I know, I know....NERD ALERT!

ImperialWhite

Sorry all. Definitely a fake!

It's not a complete circuit, for one - electricity passing through the air is lightening, and we don't see that!

They've got two wires each side, draped over the edge of the table to appear as if it's one wire. One wire is (totally uselessly) hanging off the nail on the candle and the other is forming a circuit with a real battery underneath the table.

Clever trick though (somebody used the same trick to make it appear as if you could charge an iPod with a potato).

ImperialWhite

The Equalizer

IW - the candle thing has got me properly confuculated, but the onion and the electrolytes charging thing makes complete sense. You're basically creating a battery out of acid and electrolytes, and this is technology that has been around for over 2000 years.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

This reminds me of my thought experiments the day after on the great mint post a decent vindaloo ruby. I was trying to figure out ways to turn the pain/heat into reusable energy. I figured that with 1+ billion indians this patent was going to be my ticket to the super rich and famous.

Unfortunately, I was never able to develop a working prototype. However, I did discover how to empty an elevator real quick.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Quote from: finnster01 on September 13, 2011, 06:39:28 PM
This reminds me of my thought experiments the day after on the great mint post a decent vindaloo ruby. I was trying to figure out ways to turn the pain/heat into reusable energy. I figured that with 1+ billion indians this patent was going to be my ticket to the super rich and famous.

Unfortunately, I was never able to develop a working prototype. However, I did discover how to empty an elevator real quick.

WhiteJC and The Mods - we need to get a 'Like' button on this forum as soon as possible, just like Facebook. Brilliant post Finnster.

:Haynes The Maestro:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

HatterDon

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 13, 2011, 06:30:34 PM
IW - the candle thing has got me properly confuculated, but the onion and the electrolytes charging thing makes complete sense. You're basically creating a battery out of acid and electrolytes, and this is technology that has been around for over 2000 years.

2000 years? I thought I had discovered electrolytes and acid while listening to Are You Experienced? for 9 straight hours. I had both hands free for the experiment because the return arm on the stereo was up. [Oh, go ask your grandad]

the colors; the colors!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 13, 2011, 06:30:34 PM

True, but it won't work with an iPod wire!

Burt

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 13, 2011, 07:01:54 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on September 13, 2011, 06:39:28 PM

WhiteJC and The Mods - we need to get a 'Like' button on this forum as soon as possible, just like Facebook. Brilliant post Finnster.

:Haynes The Maestro:

Didn't the prior version of this have the ability to award plusses and minuses to particular posts?

Good one Mr Finn sir! I assume come the morning after your bed clothes are floating close to the ceiling?

Burt

CorkedHat

Quote from: ImperialWhite on September 13, 2011, 05:58:02 PM
Sorry all. Definitely a fake!

It's not a complete circuit, for one - electricity passing through the air is lightening, and we don't see that!

They've got two wires each side, draped over the edge of the table to appear as if it's one wire. One wire is (totally uselessly) hanging off the nail on the candle and the other is forming a circuit with a real battery underneath the table.

Clever trick though (somebody used the same trick to make it appear as if you could charge an iPod with a potato).

This is why I enjoy FOF. Erudite, intelligent posters who can smell a fake a mile away. Had this appeared on the Offal you would have had a legion of uneducated oiks all searching for some candles and nails. And don't think there wouldn't be an army of people over there trying to implement Mr Finn's wonderful invention  :005:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us