watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stan Brown

Started by TonyGilroy, September 16, 2011, 09:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

At half time David Hamilton announced that Stan was at the match celebrating his 70th birthday.

Obviously we all applauded and my neighbour and I were talking about what a great player he was. A young guy sitting in front of us turned round and said "you can tell him yourself if you want"

Stan was sitting in front of us in Block T with his son and two grandsons and I got to shake his hand. Obviously an unassuming, modest man but he really was one of the greats of the Haynes era. 400+ games and no Fulham player ever tried or cared more than Stan.

Burt

Superb!

And good to see three generations of them were there too.

Snibbo

Saw Stan play many times. Always a solid performer and a true Fulham man through and through.

In the Enclosure

Skilful neat and tidy in everything he did. Obviously had a great passion and enthusiasm for Fulham. Hope he realises he was well liked

CorkedHat

Stan Brown was a tremendous player. He was the engine room of our team and as Johnny Haynes said of him, "You don't realise just how good Stan Brown is until he's not there."
Of all the Browns who played for us dare I say that he was the King Brown?

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

epsomraver

You would have to be an aussie or been there to get that one John,

LBNo11

...I saw Stan Brown many times too, and was going to mention the same Johnny Haynes quote that Corked Hat wrote, Stan played in virtually every outfield role with quiet efficiency, never a star, too busy being a diamond...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

CorkedHat

Quote from: epsomraver on September 16, 2011, 10:42:43 AM
You would have to be an aussie or been there to get that one John,

We've got plenty round here Dave as they no doubt have in the part of NSW that you went to  :down_under:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Snibbo

Talking of Australia, it's great to see Fulham live on SBS, but bloody hell the commentary is awful. The so called experts hardly try at all to hide the fact that they have no interest if its not Man U, Man City, Chelski or Plod or Barca or Real Madrid.  And the match commentator tells you everything except whose got the ball and what's he doing with it.  One of the smart arses said "We'll see more of Ruiz in a few years when he's at a bigger club"! 

b+w geezer

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 16, 2011, 09:32:42 AM

Stan was sitting in front of us in Block T with his son and two grandsons and I got to shake his hand.

And he'd have been in front of me too if I had actually secured my normal seat instead of believing I had (rejected at turnstiles....last minute scramble to get in elsewhere). How extremely frustrating and all nobody's fault but my own. All praise above of Stan Brown is heartily endorsed anyway.

cebu

I remember him well - a real hardworking talent. Not very tall, stocky and not that much pace, but he still made a significant contribution in that era.

Chopper

I thought it was sad we didn't get him down on the pitch but then maybe that was what he preferred.

Before my time but I did give him a hearty applaud all the same.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole