News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sidders... Europa league taking its toll...

Started by mrska, September 16, 2011, 11:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrska

STEVE Sidwell admits the Europa League is already taking its toll on Fulham.

After last night's ninth tie of the season against Twente already, the team face millionaires Manchester City on Sunday – and for some in white – their third game in eight days.

Although the side assembled at a huge cost were also involved in Euro action this week, City played a day earlier on Wednesday.

And Sidwell insists the elusive hunt for a first Premiership win has much to do with the jam-packed programme.

"It's tough because you're going into a game when some your opponents have had a week's rest," he said.

"What's important is we have a squad big enough to deal with it, especially now we've made a few signings."

But the defensive midfielder agreed boss Martin Jol cannot change all 11 players between games, no matter how short the break.

"It's difficult, and that's why you've got to eat right and get the right rest," said Sidwell. "But we're professionals. That's our job, and we've got to get on with it."

Even given the intensive labour, the man who kept Dickson Etuhu out of the side that drew with Blackburn on Sunday, reckons there are just as many positives for being in Europe twice in three years.

He added: "We've seen what the Europa League has done for this club already, and the lads who were here then want more."

But Sidwell is also relishing the thought of bloodying the noses of Roberto Mancini's high-fliers as just the right moment to get Fulham on the winning trail.

He added: "Taking their scalp would bring massive, massive confidence.

"You do build yourself up more for game like Man City, probably more say than Blackburn – no disrespect. And you do more because you know it's going to be a tougher game."

The player, who made a permanent switch himself from Aston Villa in the summer, reckons £10.6million Bryan Ruiz will come good despite a damp squib of a start against Blackburn.

The striker was hauled off at half-time, but Sidwell believes any kind of goal for the new boy will give him a shot of confidence.

"It was harder on Bryan because it was the last transfer before the window shut," said the midfielder. "Had he had a pre-season, he would have got to know the lads – but he'd only had three or four days with the full squad before Sunday.

"But he showed some great touches, and there's no doubt about it, getting a goal early will lift him."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/16/fulham-star-makes-europa-league-admission-ahead-of-manchester-city-clash-82029-29434489/#ixzz1Y6pQ1IKm

finnster01

Quote from: mr_ska on September 16, 2011, 11:16:26 AM

"It's difficult, and that's why you've got to eat right and get the right rest," said Sidwell. "But we're professionals. That's our job, and we've got to get on with it."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/16/fulham-star-makes-europa-league-admission-ahead-of-manchester-city-clash-82029-29434489/#ixzz1Y6pQ1IKm

He should tell Martin Jol and David Stockdale that...  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

I really think Etuhu needs to start against City. Then Sidwell can get his rest.

The Bronsons

Quote from: finnster01 on September 16, 2011, 11:19:36 AM
Quote from: mr_ska on September 16, 2011, 11:16:26 AM

He should tell Martin Jol and David Stockdale that...  :58:

Maybe they heard it as, "You've got to eat, right?"

MOR :

Sorry to say but Sidwell is a

waiting to happen...

epsomraver

Good, shows he has some spirit, we need that now.Murphy isn't?

Mr_Moon

Sidwell may be a no nonsense tough tackler, but dirty he isn't. I'm glad to see him in the Black and White as we've sorely needed some presence in the midfield.

Apart from his miss, he had a fantastic game. My MOTM.

Jimbobob

Quote from: Mr_Moon on September 16, 2011, 05:02:57 PM
Sidwell may be a no nonsense tough tackler, but dirty he isn't. I'm glad to see him in the Black and White as we've sorely needed some presence in the midfield.

Apart from his miss, he had a fantastic game. My MOTM.

You mean the "white and white!!!"  064.gif 064.gif 064.gif
Sorry I couldn't resist.
We need to see him and the entire team in the black and white!
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

finnster01

He'd be looking even more matching in a Wolves home kit, but don't tell him that
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead