watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR corned beef

Started by TheDaddy, September 16, 2011, 10:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDaddy

Why cant they put the bloody stuff in a normal kin tin ,  spent half an hour with a pair of pliers trying to open the thing. Because who ever packed them in the online store nicked both keys to the two tins i had ! Its a conspiracy at ASDA also since when has it started to resemble cat food i had to spread it on me bread "SPREAD IT "

While im on the subject whats corned mean does it have corn in it ?
Why is it a pair of pliers called a pair ?

Sorry folks but im coming over all pyschodelic with Pink Floyd.....
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Walsh

you've lost your mind you have.

Lighthouse

Corned Beef is called Corned Beef because of the the shape of the cows that eat the special rectangle corn grown on the Argentine and maidstone savannah. After eating the corn the cows grew rectangle within a generation and were able to fit the tins that were made for the purpose. Ironically the tins were to be thrown away until a company bought up a whole lot of bent and spoilt tins. The company were called Fraid Bent Tossed because the tins were fraid and bent and were to be thrown away. But the strange new cows saved the day.

Spam Pigs also fed on the same savannah. But were not called Corned Pork because the pigs would find a way of sneaking into the offices of Fraid Bent Tossed and leaving rubbish and waste products in their wake. When the office workers came in they found they had to work through all the rubbish. A worker with a lisp and a stutter blamed the pigs but could not think of the name so he stuttered and lisped 'Oh you know the animals that make ham'. But with his speach problems ham came out as thpam. Spam is also used for the name of rubbish sent on a computer.

Hope this helps.

WIKIPEADOE
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheDaddy

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 17, 2011, 01:24:55 AM
Corned Beef is called Corned Beef because of the the shape of the cows that eat the special rectangle corn grown on the Argentine and maidstone savannah. After eating the corn the cows grew rectangle within a generation and were able to fit the tins that were made for the purpose. Ironically the tins were to be thrown away until a company bought up a whole lot of bent and spoilt tins. The company were called Fraid Bent Tossed because the tins were fraid and bent and were to be thrown away. But the strange new cows saved the day.

Spam Pigs also fed on the same savannah. But were not called Corned Pork because the pigs would find a way of sneaking into the offices of Fraid Bent Tossed and leaving rubbish and waste products in their wake. When the office workers came in they found they had to work through all the rubbish. A worker with a lisp and a stutter blamed the pigs but could not think of the name so he stuttered and lisped 'Oh you know the animals that make ham'. But with his speach problems ham came out as thpam. Spam is also used for the name of rubbish sent on a computer.

Hope this helps.

WIKIPEADOE

That explains it thanks Lighthouse !
Mis spent youth i would have learnt this all in science however the draw of the adventure play ground got the better.   
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Berserker

I used to work for the co-op on the deli so have a lot of experience with corn beef and the tins. The trick is to keep the corned beef tin in the fridge so it is cold, then the corned beef will slice easily and not be mussy, then always have a spare tin in the fridge and buy to replace rather than consume straight away.
With regard opening cans with out a key, the very basic old fashioned openers with the lever action does it best
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

CorkCity

Corned beef in a tin imo is a very English thing. You cant beat a nice fresh joint of corned beef with cabbage and spuds, and the letfovers go in for a sarnie later for your tea, probably with Picalilli.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

epsomraver

Did not an Irish butcher last week win an international award for his corned beef which will now be sold in Selfridges?

Meerkat

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 17, 2011, 01:24:55 AM

Hope this helps.

WIKIPEADOE

I love the explanation makes everything so much clearer  064.gif

MOR :

The tin is a design floor sent to infuriate mankind, it was originally designed during WW1 for the soldiers in the trenches.
The original name of it was bully beef, then later the name changed to corned beef.
You've got to be very gentle getting the key off the can. Then work out which way the can seal goes, then be gentle with it first, then if you're very lucky you get crap reconstituted meat that's no good to the body at all but because of all the chemicals they put in it, it tastes good.

I've never seen beef that colour before other than out of a corned beef tin.
Saying that I do like "Corned Beef Hash"...

epsomraver

You are wrong, corned beef has very little additives and is  a healthy meal, contains low sugar and  fat content as well, kept the British army going when they were up to their necks in muck and bullets

FatFreddysCat

I just buy the packet corned beef or fresh from the Deli counter.  Tins of corned beef is one of the main things ex pats miss in some survey i saw.

jarv

Haven't eaten it for years. I used to make a sandwich, then toast it in an oven toaster. Brilliant. Must try it when I get home next time.

MOR :

Quote from: epsomraver on September 17, 2011, 02:01:44 PM
You are wrong, corned beef has very little additives and is  a healthy meal, contains low sugar and  fat content as well, kept the British army going when they were up to their necks in muck and bullets

Meat-processing companies are coy about the percentage of beef and textured vegetable protein in their products.
The more obscure and cheaper brands of corned beef may contain only 20 percent lean meat and about 10 percent fat, with the rest of the ingredients nonmeat, like two to three percent curing mix (common salt, nitrite salt, phosphate, and erythorbate), spices, extenders (which are protein sources like gluten), fillers (carbohydrate source like flours and starches).

Nobody really declares that there are extenders in corned beef but the flavour and aroma of corned beef mask the extenders.

Probably even with extenders, canned corned beef could still nutritious.  It would sadly lack in protein if meat processors overdo the fillers in their products, then these will inevitably fail to meet protein requirements, and be just another source of carbohydrates.

Me personally I don't buy the tins but have the occasional slices from the deli...

epsomraver

Saw a top chef on TV recently extolling the virtues of corned beef and how it really is a healthy option, cannot remember the program but I am sure you will know which one, after all there are not many cooking programs on now days are there?  :005: :005:

finnster01

Very hard to not appreciate the contribution corned beef hash makes on an American egg breakfast.  
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on September 17, 2011, 02:44:18 PM
I just buy the packet corned beef or fresh from the Deli counter.  Tins of corned beef is one of the main things ex pats miss in some survey i saw.

Corned beef in a tin? What is wrong with you people!!!!!????  063.gif

Deli only for me.

I do like SPAM though.  Get Coat gif

epsomraver

I delete as much as possible Jack, but I save the genuine ones from my dear friends in Nigeria who are going to make me rich! 098.gif 098.gif

Burt

Corned beef is one of those things I have never developed a taste for.

Now black pudding on the other hand... I had "fat boys full English breakfast" this morning at the hotel where we were staying at, and at it was fab.

Berserker

Do they do a Fat Boys Scottish Breakfast as well Burt? That would have even more calorific ingredients in it. eg.white sausage as well as black, that's a favourite with my in laws
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

epsomraver

Quote from: Berserker on September 18, 2011, 10:18:25 AM
Do they do a Fat Boys Scottish Breakfast as well Burt? That would have even more calorific ingredients in it. eg.white sausage as well as black, that's a favourite with my in laws
Along with a battered mars bar , that is essential!