News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


substitues again

Started by alfie, March 06, 2010, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

just a bit confused as to why we went to all that trouble getting Okaka and not give him a run out, he can't play on Thursday so why not bring him on today and give BZ or Gera a rest for Thursday, could have let Riise have a bit of a run as well. I like Elm but bit too much like BZ
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

finnster01

Very much agree on that front Mr Alfie.

The biggest difference between BZ and Elm is that BZ actually is able to move. Get the Paddy on.

Duff was lively but had horrible crosses. riise could have done with a run out too.

And starting Greening and Etuhu together at home is something I hope I never ever see again. I'd like to see a stat on how many times the ball went backwards rather than forwards from those two chaps and it is pretty sad when your left back is the most creative player on the pitch
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Tom

Quote from: alfie on March 06, 2010, 07:41:12 PM
just a bit confused as to why we went to all that trouble getting Okaka and not give him a run out, he can't play on Thursday so why not bring him on today and give BZ or Gera a rest for Thursday, could have let Riise have a bit of a run as well. I like Elm but bit too much like BZ
I agree with you. I wanted to see Okaka play today.
Fulham for life!


DevonFFC

Could not agree more!!!

Talk about trouble getting this guys signature, we need not have bothered.

This kid is meant to be the next big thing in italy, and i would loved to have seen him dump those yids out of the cup.

JezamyBates

why are you suprised? Roy is always reluctant to make changes when he thinks the XI on the pitch are doing their jobs well

Davies was only subbed as he was knackered. look at the game we played against spurs on boxing day, he made no subs in that game either

SuffolkWhite

I thought Elm did OK for what it's worth, but Okakakkakakakakka would have offered something different i think. But Roy is the Master and we all bow to his judgment! well I do anyway.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"


timmyg

I think the biggest statement Roy made today was excluding Nevland. He's been MIA for a few weeks now and we really could have used his pace toward the end of the match.

So to me not having Nevland on the bench spoke louder than Okaka not coming on.

"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

finnster01

What most of you may not know is that I have it from reputable sources that Eric the Viking has a broken little toe which is why he has not been on the bench for a while
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

Having spent most of my time saying Roy is a bit too negative and by taking 11 players behind the ball we do not have any relief when under the kosh, I have come to accept that that is the way we play. By bringing Elm on Roy made it clear he wanted us to hold the ball up further up the pitch. Okaka is powerful and quick but is not a target player.

If we wanted to win today Okaka was the gamble, Roy is happy to come away without a defeat. Roy tends to give teams too much respect. But his record, as fellow MBers are always keen to point out speaks for itself. Roy is safety first.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope


MrCheviot

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 07, 2010, 01:05:19 AM
Having spent most of my time saying Roy is a bit too negative and by taking 11 players behind the ball we do not have any relief when under the kosh, I have come to accept that that is the way we play. By bringing Elm on Roy made it clear he wanted us to hold the ball up further up the pitch. Okaka is powerful and quick but is not a target player.

If we wanted to win today Okaka was the gamble, Roy is happy to come away without a defeat. Roy tends to give teams too much respect. But his record, as fellow MBers are always keen to point out speaks for itself. Roy is safety first.

I see this as simply adapting to the cards you've been dealt. In late Dec/Jan when we lost Pantsil, Dempsey, Konch, and Dikgacoi, at first I think the team kept trying to play the same style of football, and we simply couldn't do it. We switched from a 4-4-2 to a 4-4-1-1, and as a result have had to take a more defensive stance. It seems that Roy firmly believes the best chance we have to win games, given the current players he has at his disposal, is to keep the ball in front of us and hope we can create on the counter or in the infrequent instances we get the ball forward.

It's not necessarily pretty to watch, but it's proven effective. I agree w/ the sentiment that today we should've played as if we were a goal down for the last 20, but at least we're still IN for the cup. I should hope that once Dempsey and KD return, we revert back to our late '09 form and start taking the game to more teams. Until then.. as you say, safety first.
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

FFCOutpostCommander

Even though the result today was a bit of a disappointment, the match was a wonderful thing to watch. I have to agree with the commentator, it was the best 0-0 tie that I've seen. We looked very solid in defence and creative in attack. Only the finish was missing, as Duff, Zamora, and Gera all missed great chances. Sometimes you just can't get the ball to fall the right side of the posts. I hope that by the time of the replay we have put the away voodoo behind us and finish them off as we all know we can.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

Yarden

Quote from: timmyg on March 06, 2010, 09:24:51 PM
I think the biggest statement Roy made today was excluding Nevland. He's been MIA for a few weeks now and we really could have used his pace toward the end of the match.

So to me not having Nevland on the bench spoke louder than Okaka not coming on.



His pace?? Are you serious? He might be the slowest player in the PL.


Brede Butter Pudding

Nevland is injured - broken toe, hence his lack of involvement recently. Unfortunately it gives us even fewer options in attack against Juve but there you go

Logicalman

I agree about Okakakakakaka, he could do with a run out.

I wouldn't fully agree with the Geening/Etuhu statement though, Mr. F, though the ball didn't travel as much forward as I would have liked, Etuhu looked confident in his tackling, and we didn't see so many muggings in midfield or failed forward passes as has been the increasing norm with Smurph recently. I have said since January he needs a rest, and I'm glad Roy felt the need to rest him today, albeit he picked up a knock last week. Perhaps a rest is what he needs to get himself focused again. He is such a bonus to us when he is, but such a liability when he is not.