watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tried and True Fish Batter Recipe?

Started by SCFulhmFan, September 22, 2011, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFulhmFan

Anyone have a good batter recipe they use for fish and chips?   See some with beer, some with soda water, etc.  While I don't mind trying a few from Cooks.com/Food Network, figured would ask the experts first! 

FatFreddysCat

Or break into Harry's chippy on Lady Margeret rd Southall/ Greenford/ Northolt borders and steal their secret recipe  :004:

RidgeRider

Quote from: TheDaddy on October 17, 2011, 01:54:31 PM
Makes enough for four 6-7 oz (175-200 g) pieces of fish

4 oz (110 g) self-raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
5 fl oz (150 ml) water, plus 1 scant tablespoon

Just sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, then gradually add the water, whisking continuously until the batter is smooth and free from lumps.

top tip  always make sure your oil is hot otherwise it becomes soggy 

bon appetite

Though I didn't request it, thanks for this! I eat gluten-free so I am going to try this with some oat flower or brown rice flour! Yum. Let you know how it turns out though I am guessing most think what I am doing is sacrilege.

finnster01

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 22, 2011, 01:07:57 AM

½ teaspoon salt

Just sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, then gradually add the water, whisking continuously until the batter is smooth and free from lumps.

bon appetite

Though I didn't request it, thanks for this! I eat gluten-free so I am going to try this with some oat flower or brown rice flour! Yum. Let you know how it turns out though I am guessing most think what I am doing is sacrilege.

Don't forget to apply a generous amount of malt vinegar when it is all done and on the plate
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on October 22, 2011, 04:22:00 AM
Quote from: RidgeRider on October 22, 2011, 01:07:57 AM

½ teaspoon salt

bon appetite

Don't forget to apply a generous amount of malt vinegar when it is all done and on the plate

Thanks Finn, will do. I will be making chips (fries) to go with it along with a thai curry cole slaw. Sunday night dinner.