more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 23, 2011, 07:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Stopper back to boost Cottagers

Fulham are set to be boosted by the return of defender Aaron Hughes from a knee injury for Saturday's trip to West Brom.
The Northern Ireland international has missed the Cottagers past three matches due to the problem, but he is in line to be back in boss Martin Jol's plans at the Hawthorns, where the side will come up against former boss Roy Hodgson.

Hughes' return is set to be one of many changes that Jol will make to his side following the midweek Carling Cup penalty shoot-out defeat at Chelsea.

Brede Hangeland, Danny Murphy, Damien Duff and Clint Dempsey will all returning to the starting XI after being rested, while Bobby Zamora will start ahead of Orlando Sa having come off the bench at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

However, Jol is still without Dickson Etuhu, Bjorn Helge Riise and Andy Johnson due to respective thigh, groin and ankle problems.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/stopper-back-to-boost-cottagers-1293059.html?#.TnxsjXPHo98

WhiteJC

West Brom v Fulham preview

Two sides looking to kick start their premier league campaign go head-to-head at the Hawthrowns on Saturday as Roy Hodgson's aimless-looking West Brom welcome Martin Jol's Fulham.

The West Bromich manager can point to the tough opening pair of games against Chelsea and Manchester United for his side's delayed start to the season but following an unconvincing win over Norwich they were resoundingly beaten by other new boys Swansea last weekend.

Hodgson will welcome the team he took to the Europa League final two years ago but it looks to be a very different fight this year for both ex-manager and club as they entertain the possibility of a relegation battle as the season begins to take shape.

That was evident in the West Brom team that lined out on Tuesday in the Carling Cup and Hodgson reiterated that following the game.

"Our goal isn't to win the League Cup — it's another season in the Premier League", he said.

Martin Jol had no such ideas though and his side were beaten on penalties after a keenly contested match against local rivals Chelsea, and though it's been a shaky start Jol's side have begun to show signs of improving as they adapt to their new manager.

Last Sunday's 2-2 draw with Manchester City at Craven Cottage may have been down to the visitors taking their foot off the pedal but Fulham lived with the vastly superior side for an hour before taking advantage of City's complacency and were unlucky not to get a win in the end.

Jol was buoyed by the result and said that Fulham are in a false position after an unlucky start to the season with injuries.

"We've got players like Hangeland, Duff and Dempsey and possibly Aaron Hughes to come back this weekend for our game against West Brom," Jol said.

"I feel that we should have won our home games so far this season and this League is about results so we try and win at West Brom on Saturday."

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/52391/?

WhiteJC

Hughes set for Hawthorns return

Fulham are set to be boosted by the return of defender Aaron Hughes from a knee injury for Saturday's trip to West Brom.

The Northern Ireland international has missed the Cottagers past three matches due to the problem, but he is in line to be back in boss Martin Jol's plans at the Hawthorns, where the side will come up against former boss Roy Hodgson.

Hughes' return is set to be one of many changes that Jol will make to his side following the midweek Carling Cup penalty shoot-out defeat at Chelsea.

Brede Hangeland, Danny Murphy, Damien Duff and Clint Dempsey will all returning to the starting XI after being rested, while Bobby Zamora will start ahead of Orlando Sa having come off the bench at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

However, Jol is still without Dickson Etuhu, Bjorn Helge Riise and Andy Johnson due to respective thigh, groin and ankle problems.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/hughes-set-for-hawthorns-return-1293059.html?

WhiteJC

With A Little Patience Bryan Ruiz Can Be Fulham's Talisman

Despite making an uninspiring start to life in the Premier League, Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz remains a hugely exciting prospect for the west London club. Here's why Fulham fans should be patient with the Costa Rican.

When Fulham signed Costa Rica's most successful import of recent years at the end of the summer transfer window, excitement at the club peaked. Bryan Ruiz – the Eredivisie's latest "next big thing" – linking with club favourites like Bobby Zamora, Damien Duff and Clint Dempsey looked a mouthwatering prospect for the Craven Cottage faithful. A short international break only let the anticipation build ahead of his big debut against Blackburn Rovers.

Pushed straight into the starting lineup Ruiz failed to make an impact, giving the ball away in uncharacteristic fashion before being hauled off at half time to be replaced by another former Eredivisie star, Moussa Dembele. In just 45 minutes the hype had been replaced by skepticism. Had Fulham made a mistake of Steve Marlet proportions? Was Bryan Ruiz more Afonso Alves than Robin van Persie? Fulham boss Martin Jol was quick to point out that they may have to wait for the real Bryan Ruiz to stand up.

"It's always difficult ya know as you come to the Premiership for your first game. I won't say it's a gamble but you have to start somewhere and that was a decision we had to make and we made the decision to play him, but of course it's a different tempo" said the former Ajax Coach.

"In hindsight I would have started Moussa (Dembele) and then bought him on because he's good ya know when there's a lot of pressure on the goal and space in the box. Bryan Ruiz would probably give us a lot in the second half". Jol was keen to absolve his new signing of blame and the excitement in his eyes as he spoke about the player's exploitation of space was telling. The Dutchman remains sure Fulham have signed the right player. The fans still need convincing.

Last season Ruiz scored 9 goals in the Eredivisie from 24 starts as his campaign was broken up by injury. Usually employed on the right-hand side of a versatile 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 by then Coach Michel Preud'Homme, the Costa Rican helped his side maintain a title challenge until the final day of the season, losing 3-1 to Ajax in the deciding game.

A humble man who spends more time talking about the performances of his teammates than his own ability, Ruiz displays a refreshing honesty both on and off the pitch. The theatrics often expected from Latin footballers are unlikely to be seen at Craven Cottage this season.
It was the previous season that "La Comadreja" – the nickname given to him early in his career at Alajuelense meaning "the Weasel" – had really gained the attention of the footballing world. An Eredivisie ever-present, Ruiz scored 24 goals in 34 starts to guide Steve McClaren's Twente to their first ever Eredivisie title.

The current Nottingham Forest Manager remains a big admirer of Ruiz and the feeling is most definitely mutual. Ruiz is often quick to remind people of the positive influence McClaren had on his career. Seeing him pay homage to those who have helped him along the way is not uncommon. A humble man who spends more time talking about the performances of his teammates than his own ability, Ruiz displays a refreshing honesty both on and off the pitch. The theatrics often expected from Latin footballers are unlikely to be seen at Craven Cottage this season.

Here is a man, a professional footballer, so down to earth he thought nothing of venturing into Twente's club shop when he was a player there to buy Twente shirts. By the time he left he'd picked up the number of the shop assistant and set about making her his new girlfriend.

Twente's 2010 player of the year brings a fantastic array of skills to the West London club. Capable of playing in wide areas, off a target man, or as the focal point of an attack, his versatility brings options. Ruiz is incredibly mobile and while he is a master of exploiting space in the final third, his outstanding close control and technique can make a mockery of defenders who get too tight to him. Such skills will serve him well at Craven Cottage.

His signing should be further evidence that Jol is keen to move away from the traditional 4-4-2 that Fulham fans have seen over the past few seasons to a more typically Dutch 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 formation. With an intelligent and mobile attack including players like the talented American-schemer Clint Dempsey, Belgian international Moussa Dembele and energetic Premier League stalwart Damien Duff, the bland yet solid performances under previous boss Mark Hughes could be a thing of the past. Transition for both player and club will take time, but could be incredibly effective

It was perhaps a surprise that he signed for Fulham at all with the likes of Villareal and Tottenham Hotspur strongly linked during the summer. Their interest went cold despite a series of impressive early season displays, which allowed Fulham to pounce on the last day of the transfer window. Harry Redknapp's loss will be Martin Jol's gain.

Adored in Enschede and sent on with well wishes, Ruiz presence will be missed. Having already won the Eredivisie and KNVB Cup with a non "big-three" club the player had most certainly outgrown the Eredivisie. Now he has the stage to showcase his fantastic talent to English fans, and clubs alike. The English Premier League is at best unforgiving, at worst brutal, but it's rare for the really talented players to not come good in the end. For anyone not named Suarez or nicknamed "Kun", English football takes some getting used to but for those who had the joy of watching him in the Twente red, it's unthinkable he could fail.

Still unconvinced? Then ponder this, in 2009-10 Ruiz went head to head with Luis Suarez as the two led their sides in an incredible battle for the Eredivisie title. The Ruiz-led FC Twente were crowned champions, the Costa Rican every bit Suarez' equal, and we all know how little Luis has taken to the Premier League. At half the price Ruiz is an absolute steal. It's a matter of if, not when, he finds his Twente form. Once he does Fulham fans will have a new concern, how to keep him.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/with-a-little-patience-bryan-ruiz-can-be-fulhams-talisman/

WhiteJC

Cottagers ace relishing Roy reunion

Chris Baird is looking forward to trying to take three points when he faces former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson's West Brom on Saturday.

The Cottagers' Northern Ireland international defender, who was struggling to break into the side when Hodgson took over in 2007, commanded regular action under his leadership as the side went on to secure European football and a place in the 2010 Europa League final.

Hodgson departed in summer 2010 for Liverpool, before moving onto West Brom at the turn of the year where he helped the Baggies to Premier League survival.

And, as he prepares to go up against his former manager, Baird says he owes him a debt of gratitude but will still be going all out to beat his team as the Whites look for a first win of the season under Martin Jol's tenure.

"I was in the team and played 52 games under him. He gave me my opportunity in the team and I'm thankful for that," Baird told the Chronicle.

"You can speak to him about anything - about football or off-the-pitch stuff. He's such a nice man.

"I think my career developed under him. In a way he transformed it by giving me the run of games that I needed and I was grateful to him for playing me in all these positions - right back, centre half and midfield. I was just happy to be part of his team and his plans."

On the game, Baird added: "I think he [Hodgson] will be hard to beat, that's one thing you can say for sure.

"He worked wonders here, but we'll be going there to get the three points off him, that's the most important thing for Fulham."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-ace-relishing-roy-reunion-1293061.html?

WhiteJC

HUGHES SET FOR COTTAGERS RETURN

Fulham could have defender Aaron Hughes back from a knee injury for the trip to West Brom.

Forward Andrew Johnson (ankle) is also close to being in contention, but midfielder Dickson Etuhu (thigh) and defender Bjorn Helge Riise (groin) remain sidelined.

Brede Hangeland, Damien Duff, Clint Dempsey and captain Danny Murphy are all set to feature after being rested for the midweek Carling Cup penalty shoot-out defeat at Chelsea.

Teams

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, J Riise, Kelly, Sidwell, Duff, Kasami, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz, Zamora, Etheridge, Senderos, Briggs, Grygera, Frei, Gecov, Sa, Johnson.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/23/manual_091612.html

WhiteJC

No Roy sentiments for Baird

Chris Baird is looking forward to trying to take three points when he faces former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson's West Brom on Saturday.

The Cottagers' Northern Ireland international defender, who was struggling to break into the side when Hodgson took over in 2007, commanded regular action under his leadership as the side went on to secure European football and a place in the 2010 Europa League final.

Hodgson departed in summer 2010 for Liverpool, before moving onto West Brom at the turn of the year where he helped the Baggies to Premier League survival.

And, as he prepares to go up against his former manager, Baird says he owes him a debt of gratitude but will still be going all out to beat his team as the Whites look for a first win of the season under Martin Jol's tenure.

"I was in the team and played 52 games under him. He gave me my opportunity in the team and I'm thankful for that," Baird told the Chronicle.

"You can speak to him about anything - about football or off-the-pitch stuff. He's such a nice man. I think my career developed under him.

"In a way he transformed it by giving me the run of games that I needed and I was grateful to him for playing me in all these positions - right back, centre half and midfield.

"I was just happy to be part of his team and his plans."
On the game, Baird added: "I think he will be hard to beat, that's one thing you can say for sure.

"He worked wonders here, but we'll be going there to get the three points off him, that's the most important thing for Fulham."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/09/23/No-sentiments-for-Baird/gnid-110031/?

WhiteJC

EPL Preview: West Brom v Fulham

Two sides in desperate need of a win will go head-to-head when West Brom host Fulham in the English Premier League on Saturday.

It has been a disastrous start to the season for Roy Hodgson's West Brom, who sit bottom of the table with just one win from their opening five matches.

After tough fixtures against Manchester United and Chelsea, the Baggies looked like they were getting back on track following a 1-0 win away at Norwich, only to be hammered 3-0 at newly promoted Swansea a week later.

It got worse on Wednesday as a second-string West Brom side let a 1-0 lead slip in their 2-1 extra-time defeat to Everton in the Carling Cup, with Hodgson admitting it was not ideal to a have played 120 minutes.

"Our priority is the league and we made that pretty obvious with the team selection," Hodgson said.

"So, extra-time was something we didn't want because some of these players that played 120 minutes will have to play on Saturday. Luckily, there are quite a few back at home that won't have played."

Hodgson does have some good news on the injury front, with almost a full squad to pick from and Zoltan Gera nearing a return from an ankle complaint.

Since taking over at Fulham in June, Martin Jol is yet to enjoy a domestic victory, with three draws and two losses in the Premier League and a penalty shootout defeat at Chelsea in the Carling Cup all the Cottagers have to show for their efforts.

Fulham played with an extra man for more than 70 minutes in their Carling Cup tie after Alex was sent off for Chelsea, but as has been their problem all season, Jol's side were unable to find the back of the net.

Fulham have scored just four goals this season, worse only than West Brom, Stoke and Swansea, and Jol will welcome back a host of first-team regulars on Saturday as they search for their first victory.

"We've got players like (Brede) Hangeland, (Damien) Duff and (Clint) Dempsey and possibly Aaron Hughes to come back this weekend for our game against West Brom," Jol said.

"I feel that we should have won our home games so far this season and this League is about results so we try and win at West Brom on Saturday."

Bjorn Helge Riise remains sidelined with a hamstring injury, while Steve Davies' injured knee is expected to keep him out until November.

http://www.sportal.co.in/football-news-display/preview-west-brom-v-fulham-139387

WhiteJC

West Brom v Fulham flashback: Albion 1, Fulham 0: August 2002

TRIVIA question time.

If you don't wish to know who scored Albion's first winner in the rebranded Premier League then look away now.

Darren Moore's 48th-minute goal silenced those who thought Gary Megson's side would fail to win a single game all season.

Radio presenter Danny Baker had made the grim forecast, while motormouth pundit Rodney Marsh claimed Albion signing Sean Gregan was like putting 'lipstick on a pig'.

But Albion finally got off the mark for their first win at this level since 1986 thanks to Big Dave's header.

Bob Taylor almost made it two late on only to see his Pele-esque 50-yard shot tipped over by Edwin Van Der Sar.

Megson said afterwards: "Some sage said we would go through the season without a win and someone else said we wouldn't have a point until Christmas. It got a mention before the game so at least we have proved two people wrong."

Lee Hughes made his first outing for Albion following his return from Coventry.

Igor Balis was captain for the day following the death of his mother, with Albion players wearing black armbands as a mark of respect.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/09/23/west-brom-v-fulham-flashback-albion-1-fulham-0-august-2002-97319-29472636/?#ixzz1Ym5IZA97

WhiteJC

West Brom v Fulham: Opposition team news

ROY Hodgson won't be the only one facing a former club this weekend.

Fulham boss Martin Jol spent two years at The Hawthorns as a player, making 63 appearances (scoring four times) between 1982-84.

Even to this day he can remember the pubs along West Bromwich High Street.

Not that Jol has had much time to visit his old stomping ground as Fulham prepare for their 16th game of 2011-12, their Europa League campaign having started on the final day of June – a week before Albion players (now on their eighth game) returned for pre-season training.

Mark Schwarzer will play in goal, with Aaron Hughes, Philippe Senderos, Brede Hangeland and John Arne Riise expected to line up in defence.

Riise's inclusion is, however, by no means certain, with Matthew Briggs – once the Premier League's youngest-ever player – a possible alternative.

Steve Sidwell will sit in front of the back four, with Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Clint Dempsey ahead of them.

Up front, Bobby Zamora will be partnered by one of three – Bryan Ruiz, Andy Johnson or, most likely, Moussa Dembele.

Simon Davies is a long-term absentee for the visitors due to a knee injury.

Jol, mindful of the number of games his side have already played, made it clear with his team selection for Wednesday's Carling Cup game at Chelsea, that he would be prioritising Fulham's Premier League and Europa League campaigns.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/09/23/west-brom-v-fulham-opposition-team-news-97319-29472653/?#ixzz1Ym5ciURe

WhiteJC

West Brom v FULHAM: Hughes set for return along with key men rested mid-week

Fulham could have defender Aaron Hughes back from a knee injury for the Saturday's Barclays Premier League trip to West Brom.

Forward Andrew Johnson (ankle) is also close to being in contention, but midfielder Dickson Etuhu (thigh) and defender Bjorn Helge Riise (groin) remain sidelined.

On balance: Dempsey (left) was rested for the Carling Cup defeat at Chelsea

Brede Hangeland, Damien Duff, Clint Dempsey and captain Danny Murphy are all set to feature after being rested for the midweek Carling Cup penalty shoot-out defeat at Chelsea.

Provisional Squad: Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, J Riise, Kelly, Sidwell, Duff, Kasami, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz, Zamora, Etheridge, Senderos, Briggs, Grygera, Frei, Gecov, Sa, Johnson.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2040911/West-Brom-v-FULHAM-Aaron-Hughes-set-return-key-men-rested-mid-week.html#ixzz1Ym65BsFM

WhiteJC

West Brom v Fulham

Both sides will be hunting a win after bad starts to the new campaign as West Brom host Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday.

Roy Hodgson's Baggies are rooted to the bottom of the table after claiming just one win from five games.

The manager will be ruing his luck after losing to defending Manchester United and title hopefuls Chelsea in the opening weeks of the season.

And although Albion seemed to have put the worst behind them with 1-0 win away at Norwich, they were soon hanging their heads in shame after a 3-0 drubbing at Swansea one week later.

On Wednesday a second-string West Brom made matters worse for the manager when they gave away a 1-0 lead to eventually lose 2-1 in extra-time against Everton in the Carling Cup.

Hodgson will be happy to have an almost fully fit squad to select from with Zoltan Gera also close to a comeback after a niggling ankle injury.

Martin Jol is also lamenting his side's poor form which is yet to see them win at home. The Cottagers have had three draws and two defeats in the Premier League and also suffered a Carling Cup defeat to Chelsea after a penalty shoot-out put their hopes to bed midweek.

Fulham have struggled to find the back of the net this season, scoring just four goals, but Jol will be delighted to have a host of first-team regulars back on Saturday as the team eyes their first league victory.

Bjorn Helge Riise is out with a hamstring injury with Steve Davies' out until November with an injured knee.

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14287_7195631,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham v QPR tickets

Barclays Premier League
Sunday 2nd October
Kick-Off 15:00

Fulham host QPR at the Cottage on Sunday 2nd October in what will be the first competitive match between the two teams since the 2000/01 season.

On-sale dates

Season Ticket Holders  On Sale (max 4 tickets)
Fulham Club Members On Sale (max 4 tickets)
Previous Purchasers On Sale (max 4 tickets)
Loyalty points: 1 (more info)

Fulham Members' Club Ticket Offer - £5 off for members

As a special 'thank you' to all of our loyal Fulham Members' Club members the Club is offering a £5 discount on match tickets for Fulham's match versus QPR.

This offer is valid in all areas of the stadium (subject to availability, 1 per member) and expires at 5pm Friday 30th September.

Members can purchase discounted tickets online, in person at the Ticket Office at Craven Cottage or by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1).

How to Buy Tickets

buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices

Category A prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks P1 and P2 are Cottage Corner. Blocks A, AL, K and KL are designated Family Areas and are not available to book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/QPRHome.aspx#ixzz1Ym78VfE7

WhiteJC

Murphy's Law: A week of missed opportunities for Fulham

"If Fulham had been more ruthless in front of goal we would have beaten City and the Chelsea game would not have reached extra time"

This has been a week of missed opportunities for Fulham FC.

Of course there have been positives. Two goals down against Manchester City after 46 minutes I think most expected a cricket score to follow, but Fulham showed great character and came away with a draw.

On Wednesday night came the west London derby, some bookies were giving odds of 9/1 for Fulham to win, so to go out by the lottery of a penalty shoot out does not seem to reflect that price.

However, if Fulham had been more ruthless in front of goal we would have beaten City (I do have to give Joe Hart some credit for two excellent saves) and the Chelsea game would not have reached extra time.

The hard facts are that Fulham have still not won in the league and are out of one of the few cups we have a realistic chance of winning. The Whites need to learn to start taking their chances and learn fast.

Also bothering me is why Fulham aren't more of a threat on corners? This season we have won numerous amounts of corners but despite having the likes of Brede Hangeland and Clint Dempsey we never look like producing a goal, surely routines are worked on in training?

I don't want to be all doom and gloom, I think Fulham are slowly turning the corner and will start climbing the table.

There are some quality young players at the club now that will all be fighting for a starting role, which is always a good thing.

Fulham also have Mousa Demble, a player that has the skill to beat players for fun and is starting to be more productive with this power.

That first win is close and I won't be surprised if it comes against Woy's boys this weekend.

Prediction WBA 1 Fulham 3

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/murphy_s_law_a_week_of_missed_opportunities_for_fulham_1_1069011?

WhiteJC

West Brom's Graham Dorrans plays down Fulham pressure

West Brom midfielder Graham Dorrans today played down the pressure on the Hawthorns clash with Fulham and insisted it's not a "must win" game.

Baggies boss Roy Hodgson locks horns with his former club for the first time tomorrow with both sides in the Premier League's bottom three, on just three points from five matches.

But Dorrans, who hopes to keep his place after impressing in Wednesday's Carling Cup defeat at Everton, believes the showdown has come much too early to be considered a season-defining fixture.

He said: "Every game is a big game and we go into every match looking to win, but it's too early to say that it's a must-win clash.

"We are going into the game looking to take points, like we do from them all, but there are only five games gone so it's far too early to be talking about teams being 'desperate' for points.

"I'm sure the gaffer will be looking to put one over on his old club and get three points but he will focus on it like he does any other game.

"He will approach it as he would if it was anyone else."

Dorrans hopes to retain a starting berth against the Cottagers after completing 120 minutes against the Toffees in Wednesday's 2-1 loss.

It was his longest outing since injuring his ankle in February – a problem that kept him out of the end of last season.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2011/09/23/graham-dorrans-plays-down-fulham-clash/#ixzz1YmD4UwrN

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Hodgson to change system against Fulham

Midfielder reveals tactical switch

Paul Scharner has revealed Roy Hodgson is to ditch his 4-4-2 formation against Fulham.

The Austrian international let slip on Facebook that the squad had been using a different system in training ahead of the visit of the Cottagers this Saturday (KO 3pm).

The Baggies will most likely revert back to the 4-5-1 formation which brought success towards the end of last season – and was favoured on Wednesday night against Everton in the Carling Cup.

Scharner said on his status update that the Baggies players realist they are "under pressure" and are "not in an easy situation" after only one league win.

However, he said spirits were still high in the camp after a good week on the training field.

"We trained good this week and also the system will be changing a little bit," said the midfielder. 

"Hope you come and support us as usual in this difficult situation!"

http://www.westbromwichalbion-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/exclusive_hodgson_to_change_system_against_fulham_701556/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

WEST BROM v Fulham: Long could return for Baggies after mid-week illness

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson will revert to his first-choice side when the Baggies host Fulham in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday.

Hodgson made nine changes for the Carling Cup defeat at Everton, with only Jonas Olsson and Peter Odemwingie surviving, but most of those should return.

In line to return: Long (right) could feature in the clash against Fulham

Defender Gabriel Tamas remains suspended following his red card against Norwich, but striker Shane Long could return after illness ruled him out of Wednesday's game.

Provisional squad: Bednar, Brunt, Cox, Dorrans, Fortune, Foster, Fulop, Jara, B Jones, Long, McAuley, Morrison, Mulumbu, Odemwingie, J Olsson, Reid, Scharner, Shorey, Thomas, Tchoyi, Daniels.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2040998/WEST-BROM-v-Fulham-Shane-Long-return-Baggies-mid-week-illness.html#ixzz1YmNgu000

WhiteJC

Hodgson has options for Cottagers clash

Roy Hodgson is spoilt for choice in defence for West Brom's visit of Fulham on Saturday, but striker Shane Long remains a doubt.
The Albion chief will welcome his former club to the Hawthorns looking to bounce back from last Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Swansea and the 2-1 extra-time Carling Cup defeat at Everton in midweek.

And, Hodgson has several options in defence for the game as he hopes the Baggies will register their first home win of the campaign at the expense of Martin Jol's Cottagers.

Jonas Olsson is expected to feature despite suffering cramp at Everton and, with Gabriel Tamas serving the final game of his suspension, he could again be joined in the centre of defence by Craig Dawson or Gareth McAuley, who impressed on his debut at Goodison Park.

Joe Mattock also did well at Everton and will put pressure on Nicky Shorey for his place in defence, while Graham Dorrans is hoping he has done enough to start in midfield after a good display in the cup.

Republic of Ireland international striker, Long, who has been suffering the effects of the flu, could be thrust back into the starting XI alongside Peter Odemwingie unless Hodgson opts to play the latter as a lone forward with a five-man midfield behind him.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/west-bromwich-albion/hodgson-has-options-for-cottagers-clash-1293253.html?#.TnyAMnPHo98

WhiteJC

Long wait for Hodgson

Roy Hodgson is spoilt for choice in defence for West Brom's visit of Fulham on Saturday, but striker Shane Long remains a doubt.

The Albion chief will welcome his former club to the Hawthorns looking to bounce back from last Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Swansea and the 2-1 extra-time Carling Cup defeat at Everton in midweek.

And, Hodgson has several options in defence for the game as he hopes the Baggies will register their first home win of the campaign at the expense of Martin Jol's Cottagers.

Jonas Olsson is expected to feature despite suffering cramp at Everton and, with Gabriel Tamas serving the final game of his suspension, he could again be joined in the centre of defence by Craig Dawson or Gareth McAuley, who impressed on his debut at Goodison Park.

Joe Mattock also did well at Everton and will put pressure on Nicky Shorey for his place in defence, while Graham Dorrans is hoping he has done enough to start in midfield after a good display in the cup.

Republic of Ireland international striker, Long, who has been suffering the effects of the flu, could be thrust back into the starting XI alongside Peter Odemwingie unless Hodgson opts to play the latter as a lone forward with a five-man midfield behind him.

http://www.clubcall.com/west-bromwich-albion/long-wait-for-hodgson-1293253.html?

WhiteJC

West Bromwich Albion v Fulham: Latest team news UPDATED

Fulham could have defender Aaron Hughes back from a knee injury for the trip to West Brom.

Provisional Squad: Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, J Riise, Kelly, Sidwell, Duff, Kasami, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz, Zamora, Etheridge, Senderos, Briggs, Grygera, Frei, Gecov, Sa, Johnson.

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson will revert to his first-choice side when the Baggies host Fulham.

Hodgson made nine changes for the Carling Cup defeat at Everton, with only Jonas Olsson and Peter Odemwingie surviving, but most of those should return tomorrow.

Defender Gabriel Tamas remains suspended following his red card against Norwich, but striker Shane Long could return after illness ruled him out of Wednesday's game.

Provisional squad: Bednar, Brunt, Cox, Dorrans, Fortune, Foster, Fulop, Jara, B Jones, Long, McAuley, Morrison, Mulumbu, Odemwingie, J Olsson, Reid, Scharner, Shorey, Thomas, Tchoyi, Daniels.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-headlines/west_bromwich_albion_v_fulham_latest_team_news_updated_1_3802291