watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Speed of Light

Started by Burt, September 23, 2011, 02:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Apologies for the random subject-matter, but this appealed to my inner-geekiness...

Just heard that those eggheads at CERN have been busy messing around with neutrinos (subatomic particles) and in so doing managed to fire them in excess of the speed of light.

All very strange, given the speed of light is the fastest you can get.

It's obviously causing a stir in the world of science.

In footballing terms it is the equivalent of my son's school side beating a full strength Manchester United team 12-0 despite being blindfolded and tied together i.e. it's impossible.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20957-dimensionhop-may-allow-neutrinos-to-cheat-light-speed.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=physics-math

The Equalizer

One in the eye for Einstein and it proves that Gene Roddenberry was a better scientist and bigger genius!

Warp speed, Mr Sulu!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Airfix

To be fair to the CERN scientists, they did ask that other scientists check their results.... just in case!

The Equalizer

Quote from: Airfix on September 23, 2011, 03:00:56 PM
To be fair to the CERN scientists, they did ask that other scientists check their results.... just in case!

They've been checking their own results and re-running tests for the last 6 months! They've performed the test 15,000 times now and each came up with the same answer:

Warp speed, DeLoreans and Tardis's (Tardii?) are possible.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Airfix

I shall precis...

Quote from: Burt on September 23, 2011, 02:02:23 PM

....given the speed of light is the fastest you can get.

{going faster than the speed of light} is .... impossible.

The speed of light is NOT the fastest thing you can get.  There IS something faster.

It's the amount of time between me doing something wrong and my wife telling me off for it.   064.gif

The Doctor

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 23, 2011, 03:03:13 PM
Warp speed, DeLoreans and Tardis's (Tardii?) are possible.

DeLoreans have been possible for ages...it only needs to get up to 88 mph, remember.  Now if they'd stop poncing around with neutrinos and develop the flux capacitor, we'd be away

finnster01

That should make timetravel well possible and we can go back to the dogtrack and install goal line technology and confirm that the ball crossed the line in the pen shootout.  092.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Doctor

or better yet, send Jol back to a week or so before the game and get him to organise extra penalty-taking training

LBNo11

...is the speed of light the same as the speed of dark..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

dgnffc

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 23, 2011, 03:55:06 PM
...is the speed of light the same as the speed of dark..?
Dark's faster. Light's always chasing it but never quite manages to catch it.

Lighthouse

Sorry just been watching Fulham play in the Inter Universe Europa Cup round 14 1st leg
Group 465 2182-83 season. Drew 0-0. But we still need a striker. Anyway what's this about faster than light and time travel?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

Quote from: Airfix on September 23, 2011, 03:07:42 PM
I shall precis...

The speed of light is NOT the fastest thing you can get.  There IS something faster.

It's the amount of time between me doing something wrong and my wife telling me off for it.   064.gif

I stand corrected Mr Airfix sir. I have also witnessed this phenomena...

luckylindy

Has anyone checked the speed of light lately - it must be off a little? :032:

zzamora

To be fair my physics teacher has never claimed that physics is true- he only claims that its the best explanation/theroy we've got.

Burt

I was crap at Physics at school.

Anyone who went to the Oratory would understand why - we had Mr Johnson who couldn't control the class, and ET who was a psycho.

Logicalman

Quote from: zzamora on September 23, 2011, 04:39:23 PM
To be fair my physics teacher has never claimed that physics is true- he only claims that its the best explanation/theroy we've got.

and he gave the best answer possible then. All our theories are based on science developed before we even managed to leave our own atmosphere, or before particle accelerators were available. Even is this CERN issue finally proves to be a falsehood (as one guy described it this morning "they forgot to take to 1 out of the equation") then at some time in the future we will see this proven.

And Airfix, I think you'll find she actually knew you were going to do something wrong before you did it mate. Remember, women believe all blokes only have two failings - everything they do and everything they say.

cebu

Quote from: Logicalman on September 23, 2011, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: zzamora on September 23, 2011, 04:39:23 PM

And Airfix, I think you'll find she actually knew you were going to do something wrong before you did it mate. Remember, women believe all blokes only have two failings - everything they do and everything they say.

... and everything men fail to do and everything they fail to say.

ron

Quote from: Airfix on September 23, 2011, 03:07:42 PM
I shall precis...

The speed that the driver's hand moves to the horn in the taxi behind you at the lights when they change to red and amber must run any sub-atomic particle pretty close....

The Doctor

Quote from: ron on September 23, 2011, 06:11:44 PM
The speed that the driver's hand moves to the horn in the taxi behind you at the lights when they change to red and amber must run any sub-atomic particle pretty close....

The speed with which I flip the bird at the cabbie is even quicker