News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sam Wilson - Another Youngster On His WaY?

Started by White Noise, September 23, 2011, 11:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://eastleighfc.blogspot.com/2011/09/fulham-win-sam-race.html

Fulham win Sam race

By Wendy Gee - 

PREMIERSHIP outfit Fulham have won the race to take a closer look at Eastleigh's 16-year-old strike prodigy Sam Wilson.

No fewer than five Football League clubs, including Saints, have enquired about the West End-based frontman, including two who wanted to take him on trial.

Eastleigh have turned down both those clubs for the time being, but have agreed to Fulham's request to take Wilson on a week's assessment, starting on Monday.

Wilson joined Eastleigh's youth set-up last season having spent a season at the Portsmouth Academy where he was initially coached by Mark Chamberlain, dad of ex-Saint Alex.

He left Wilderness School in the summer and was one of the first to sign up for the Spitfires' full-time player development scheme designed to funnel youngsters through to the pro game.

Eastleigh's director of football Dave Malone identified Wilson as one to watch during pre-season but didn't expect the live wire teenager to attract so much attention from so many clubs so soon.

Wilson, who turns 17 in a fortnight, has played just 150 minutes of football in his debut Blue Square Bet South season, making one start against Bromley and appearing seven times off the bench.

"Sam could have gone back to Portsmouth in the summer, but he decided to stay and I said to his dad that if he got anywhere near the first team, clubs would be swarming all over him," said Malone. "But I didn't anticipate it happening in six weeks!

"We said no to a couple of clubs because we can't see the benefit in him going there at the moment, but Fulham have been quite persistent and you can't deny a lad the chance to go to a Premier League club.

"But there's no guarantee that, come the end of next week, Fulham will say they want him or will come up with what Eastleigh and the lad himself will be happy with.

"If he were to join Fulham a fee would be applicable, but it's absolutely not the case that that's why we want him to go there. It's completely up to him if he goes or not."

Unlike Brett Williams, sold by Eastleigh for £50,000 to Reading in January, Wilson has some growing to do before he is ready for the professional game.

"Sam's a bit unusual given that most strikers in our league are 6ft 3in, 14 stone powerhouses," said Malone. "He's more of a Kevin Keegan than a Ron Davies size-wise. But if Fulham take him, it will be his potential they're investing in.

"He needs a couple of years to get stronger, but he's got balls, a bit of pace and he's not afraid of 9ft 3in defenders!"

Wilson is expected to be a part of Ian Baird's squad for tomorrow's BSB South visit of fellow strugglers Staines Town.

Scrumpy

There has definately been a shift in our approach to youngsters recently. We seem to pay top dollar for the very best youngsters now. Sure, there will be loads that don't make it, but hopefully we will see more like Frei and Briggs coming through. It could save us millions in the long term.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

White Noise

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/football/9286451.Baird_tells_hotshot_Sam_to_be_fearless_at_Fulham/?ref=rss

Baird tells hotshot Sam to be fearless at Fulham

2:42pm Tuesday 4th October 2011

By Wendy Gee

IAN Baird has advised Eastleigh's teenage striker Sam Wilson not to feel daunted when he returns to Premier League outfit Fulham on Thursday.

After impressing on an assessment week with the Craven Cottage club, the former Wildern schoolboy has been invited back for a trial game this Saturday which, by coincidence, is his 17th birthday.

"From what I hear Sam has gone up to Fulham last week and done alright, which I always thought he would," said Baird.

"As far as I know he's going back up there to train this Thursday and Friday and then playing a game on Saturday morning.

"I don't think it will faze him. I told him not to go up there and feel inferior because he's got a lot of very good qualities.

"He's a hard worker and he believes in himself, but he hasn't got an inflated opinion of himself.

"A lot of these kids at professional clubs have been in the system since they were ten and they all get told they're going to be the next Bobby Zamora or whoever.

"But I think Sam will have qualities that they haven't got. Just like Aaron Martin (sold by Eastleigh to Saints) he's got a real desire to be a professional footballer."

Admitting he is "not a great advocate" of the academy system, former Saints and Leeds United striker Baird argued: "It has taken away from the days when all young lads were trying to do was earn a contract to play professional football and make a good living.

"These days pro clubs are having to entice these lads to join them by giving them a hell of a lot of money.

"If you give a lad X-amount of pounds before he's achieved anything, where does the desire come from?

"In some of these academies you've got people earning upwards of £500-£600 a week. It's a real vicious circle."

Wilson was an academy lad himself with Portsmouth before joining the Eastleigh youth set-up last season.

He had a chance to go back to Fratton Park in the summer but felt he had a better chance of progressing with the Spitfires who, in the last four seasons, have helped Martin, Brett Williams, Mark Marshall and Damian Scannell into the pro game.

"Sam's come to us and he reminds me very much of Aaron with his unquenchable desire to succeed," said Baird.

"I've told him to go to Fulham and show his peers no respect whatsoever.

"I said there's massive improvement in you and they can't buy what you've got.

"I wish Sam all the best. It's good for him and good for the club that the module of bringing young players through is working."

West End-based Wilson was due to play for the Spitfires in the FA Youth Cup against Salisbury City last night.

In the FA Cup, Baird's men have landed a home draw against Evo-Stik Premier high riders Oxford City in the third qualifying round on Saturday week (October 15).

"We're at home against a lower league side, but Oxford are going well and we know how difficult it will be," said Baird. "We'll have them watched this Saturday and take it from there."

White Noise

http://www.bluesqsouth.com/story/0,20970,13042_7235310,00.html

Fulham keeping tabs on Wilson

Blue Square Bet South side Eastleigh have agreed to give Premier League outfit Fulham a first refusal on teenage striker Sam Wilson.

The 16-year-old recently linked up with the Cottagers for a week-long trial and was also the subject of interest from four other Football League clubs.

A statement on Eastleigh's official website read: "On Monday, Eastleigh FC had a long conversation with Fulham FC in respect of Sam Wilson.

"FFC were very, very impressed with Sam - and they will continue to monitor his progress in the coming months.

"We have agreed with Fulham that we will not covet interest in the player from other Clubs for a period of time - and review that situation in the New Year.

"Our supporters will therefore be pleased to know that Sam will now return to the 1st team squad - and is available for selection for our HSC game tonight (Tuesday) against Aldershot (ko 7.45pm)."

Wilson was a member of Portsmouth's academy before joining the Eastleigh youth set-up last season.

He has made one league start this term, with a further seven appearances coming from the bench.

Travers Barney

Agree Scrumpy..Huw Jennings is obviously stamping his authority on the whole recruitment/academy structure...following on from the success of the senior academy team last season we have been very active in attracting top young talent to supplement what we had...also really encouraging to see the way the development squad have been performing now they have rejoined a league format...extremely pleasing on the eye.

The futures bright....I am absolutely convinced of it.

We are the whites
We are the whites

AmericanJames

Quote from: White Noise on September 23, 2011, 11:58:47 PM

http://eastleighfc.blogspot.com/2011/09/fulham-win-sam-race.html

"He needs a couple of years to get stronger, but he's got balls, a bit of pace and he's not afraid of 9ft 3in defenders!"

Where  are these 9ft defenders coming from? can we sign a couple of them too?
Some people are literally too stupid to insult