watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Lurkers

Started by HillingdonFFC, September 24, 2011, 12:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillingdonFFC

Started reading a book called Gods lonely Men by Pete "Esso" Haynes the drummer from the Lurkers, the 70s punk band. He`s from my area and went to the school that my house backs onto. He is also a big Fulham fan as his dad was from the area. Theres a lot of Fulham references as they had a big following in the area.
Anyone see them live?

BalDrick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulham-Fallout-Lurkers/dp/B00003L3ZB/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1316864267&sr=1-1

They're a band I know very little about actually, clearly I should. Would be interested to read how good the book is please.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ffcwickford

To show how old I am I have the original Fulham Fallout 7" vinyl single with the free gold flexi-disc!

BalDrick

Quote from: ffcwickford on September 24, 2011, 02:21:41 PM
To show how old I am I have the original Fulham Fallout 7" vinyl single with the free gold flexi-disc!

Woah, bet that's worth a few quid (although as with all these things, I assume you have no intention of selling). Actually a fairly minority band, may not be worth a lot.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Burt

What's a 7' vinyl?

Get Coat gif

The Bronsons

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 24, 2011, 12:34:56 PM
Started reading a book called Gods lonely Men by Pete "Esso" Haynes the drummer from the Lurkers, the 70s punk band. He`s from my area and went to the school that my house backs onto. He is also a big Fulham fan as his dad was from the area. Theres a lot of Fulham references as they had a big following in the area.
Anyone see them live?

I saw them a few times in 1976 and 1977, mostly at the Red Cow in Hammersmith. Free admission, cheap beer, one time had a reggae band supporting them. Half hour sets with 15 songs. Everyone pogo-ing like mad down the front. Musically very basic punk, but fabulous energy. Esso himself drummed as fast as he could (pretty fast) and the rest kept up. Happy days.

Best songs: Pills (a cover version), Freak Show, Mass Media Believer, Total War, Shadow.

MOR :

The band built up a huge loyal Hammersmith and Fulham following around the punk heyday of 1977. They signed to Beggar's Banquet who had a shop in North End Road, Fulham. They had five top forty hits between 1977 and 1979. If I remember rightly John Peel was a lover of the band.

The Lurkers originally decided to split up in 1980 but a couple of years later they got back together to record again.

I think I saw them at "The Greyhound" Fulham Palace Road but my memory's not what it used to be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AElLKl76MZw#

I actually think they are still touring but what the line-up is I don't know and whether they still play punk is any one's guess.

The Equalizer

Great band! Fulham Fallout is a superb album too.

If anyone likes a bit of Fulham based punk, here's a cracking little band for you...

http://www.myspace.com/emergencybitter
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Travers Barney

Still got 'I don't need to tell her' somewhere in the loft.

We are the whites
We are the whites

Two Ton Ted

Big connection with Fulham. West London based, the record label was run out of the Beggars Banquet shop on North End Road and their followers were known as the Fulham Crowd, including a yound but mad even then Chinner amongst their number.

They are still going with Arturo as the only original member, although I was told Esso was wanting to get involved again.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Burt

Still going strong:

http://thelurkers.co.uk/

Also on tour at the moment.

Arturo Bassick (bass, vocals), Dave Kemp (guitar), Nellie (drums).

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: BalDrick on September 24, 2011, 12:39:31 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulham-Fallout-Lurkers/dp/B00003L3ZB/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1316864267&sr=1-1

They're a band I know very little about actually, clearly I should. Would be interested to read how good the book is please.

Its a decent book, as I said hes from my manor and there are loads of mentions of familiar haunts. Theres also a few Fulham references .Only slight criticism is he goes off on the odd chip on the shoulder class war rant, having said that he comes across as an interesting character, portrays quite a bleak tale  capturing the times touring some right dives.

Shredhead

They were from Ickenham (hardly inner city!) and the cover of their 1st album features the Coach and Horses pub where they used to drink. One of my mates' sister used to go out with Pete Stride, the guitarist. I loved the Lurkers as they were my local band (I was from Ruislip) and they were the British Ramones. I saw them a few times in Hammersmith. Another of my mate's (son of the local vicar) followed them (and the Hammers) all over the place and we all had close run-ins with the Harrow or Uxbridge Teds on the last train from Baker Street.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

SHADY1

I was going to say when reading the thread Chinner used to follow them all the time but see he's already had a mention...  

Imagine trying to get on stage with a band now ...
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: SHADY1 on October 19, 2011, 09:13:43 AM
I was going to say when reading the thread Chinner used to follow them all the time but see he's already had a mention... 

Imagine trying to get on stage with a band now ...

The one and only time Chinner saw Emergency Bitter he got on stage at the end and sang "let's go fuggin' mental"....
Never ever bloody anything ever.