watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just back from the game

Started by NorthernWhite, September 24, 2011, 08:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

and what a crap journey back. The M6 was shut so it's just taken forever.

Anyway, the game. The 1st half we dominated but as in previous games, we were restricted in the main to long distance efforts. Plenty of possession but we were struggling to get clear cut chances on goal. I've not seen the replay of the disallowed goal but I'm guessing it was offside, just. There was no way the WBA could be as bad in the 2nd half and that was the case.

It could have been very different for us though if Dempseys deflected shot had gone in instead of hitting the bar. After that, WBA restricted us to few chances and a lot less possession than in the 1st half. Even though they were having more of the possession, they had very few chances until Brunt broke through in the last minute, when I was convinced he'd scored before it came off the inside of the post. Our other main chance should have been a goal when Ruiz hit the post from a couple of yards when he hit with his left. If he'd used his right, even if he'd miss hit it, it must have been a goal. Sa should have tested the keeper in the last seconds, very wasteful.

Overall, we are looking better and I'm starting to see an improvement. I'm hoping with a bit more time, it will click upfront and the goals will start to come.

The positives? Grygera looked very solid and out some good deliveries into the box. Definitely a good acquisition. Schwarzer was excellent and Danny and Sidwell complimented each other well although Sidwell needs to work on his shooting, very poor. Dempsey his usual busy self without creating any clearcut chances. Kasami looks an excellent buy and I see him getting better and better.

Negatives? We need to not pass across their back 4 as much and try and use the wings more, with the fullbacks overlapping to give us some width. Grgera is offering us an outlet but Riise has been a big disappointment for me in this regard. I was hoping he would get forward and deliver incisive balls into the box but in the 1st half especially, he kept passing it backwards instead of getting forward and carrying it. Briggs isn't scared to go forward so if this doesn't improve, then I'd look to get Briggs in.

Overall, not a bad day at the office and a better result than our last few at the Baggies. I'm starting to see things come together for us and do feel once we get a grip of the system at the front, some decent result will follow.

Need a bloody drink now after that journey......

ScalleysDad

You beat me by a few minutes. The whole length of the M5 was spookily clear but the 50mph zones are a pain.
I have a slightly different take. Had we played with half the passion from the second half of last week we would have nailed this one. Post match reflection would be the same as for Villa, Blackburn and Newcastle in that the points were there to be taken. Goalkeepers, poor finishing and now woodwork has seen our downfall. The other results helped us today but god help us if the Ha ha's win tomorrow.
I thought Dembele was a wasteful luxury today and the seemingly obsessive habit of passing the ball across the pitch and into the crowd did'nt change when it was so obvious it was'nt working. JAR did'nt show the turn of pace he had a few weeks ago and did'nt hug the line so making the pitch quite narrow. I suppose Duffers might have done that but Kassami seemed reluctant to do it as well. Even when Ruiz came on he drifted inside.
However picture the same scenario two years ago. We would have played the same way West Brom did in soaking it up and breaking out. Hodgsonesque you might say.
I don't get why we did'nt make the pitch wider and Briggs and Kelly were worth a punt late on. I am glad Shwarz seemed to get over his knock though and I suppose some gelling time is needed. If Sa is to play the role of the quintessential No.9 he needs crosses and one job to do. He is knocked around too easily and can't tackle ............. yet.
Cup half full at the moment but dangerously close to being tipped over.

Burt

Great feedback....thanks guys. The consistent theme seems to be good performance, but must do better up front.

SheffieldWhite

Just back also and it is very reassuring to read the above comments of NW and SD with which I totally concur. For what its worth I thought that overall we were a much better team and it was disappointing that we did not convert our overwhelming first half superiority into goals.
I believe that Zamora's absence was paramount in our failure to get our midfield three into goal scoring oppotunities. Sa was fine as a Maurice Cook but he needed an AJ beside him to pick up the knock ons. Significantly, today we were looking for someone uptop to set up Dembele, Demsey or Kasami as they broke forward.
On the positive side, I thought Grygera looks a real footballer, lovely first touch, and that Baird is arguably the most complete team player, he always delivers. both full backs were obviously under orders not to get forward and this was a mistake as WBA were there for the taking.
Lets get real, that's our best result for a while at Albion and without a number of key players. I am sure that we will finish top half but please boys lay off Ruiz. There were a number of "supporters" around me who seemed to take pleasure in abusing our recent signing, probably a few who were also highly critical of the aforementioned Baird.
In summary a day in which we should have won but one with hope for the future with Kasami and Grygera.

Berserker

great updates. Thanks, good reading, and much appreciated
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Scrumpy

Always good to get feedback from people who were actually there. Many thanks.

Were there many Fulham fans there? Sorry to hear that people are getting on Ruiz's back already. He will need a few weeks or months to get to grips with the Premiership.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Fernhurst

Very good insightful comments.... can't beat a breakdown from from our "own" who were actually at the game.

The Sunday paper writers all have an "agenda" (usually a patronising slant on anyone outside the top 4)to put across.

Thanks Lads

Brede Butter Pudding

Great support as always lads... my favourite was the new Sa song. Felt like there was more than 300, and those pr!cks of stewards didn't manage to ruin our afternoon.

NorthernWhite

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on September 24, 2011, 10:33:06 PM
Great support as always lads... my favourite was the new Sa song. Felt like there was more than 300, and those pr!cks of stewards didn't manage to ruin our afternoon.

What was going on with the lad that was thrown out? Missed all of that until he was pulled along in front of the WBA fans

ScalleysDad

If you saw that, the manhandling bit, were you anywhere near the big fella who was a chorus all to himself. Or indeed are you the big fella. He had his own array of songs, "Christmas shopping in Poland", being a stand out classic and people from Croydon and Banstead are posh brain dead scum. Thats not too bad actually as the Baggies fans within ear shot were "retards". "Four days to denmark" will haunt me all night!

On a matter mentioned earlier I had'nt given any thought to team orders. Maybe the back four were told not to be too adventurous. If so its a shame Jol did'nt change plan A when the flanks were there for the taking.

Oh and nothing too serious about the eviction. One cheeky comment too many from what we saw and I'm suprised his mates did'nt follow him. The 'Sa' song needs to be sung standing up and you know what stewards feel about standing up.

jarv

I just got in, busy day and was reluctant to check the reults. 0-0, decent result, particularly based on the reports. Thanks guys, very positive and sounds like turning ther corner.

Matt

Quote from: NorthernWhite on September 24, 2011, 10:46:39 PM
Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on September 24, 2011, 10:33:06 PM

What was going on with the lad that was thrown out? Missed all of that until he was pulled along in front of the WBA fans

Mate of mine. When we moved to the front in the second half he was the only one told to go back up. When he questioned, although not with the nicest of words, the stewards took him and throw him out. Totally unnecessary on a good day! West Brom fans were quite friendly at the pub before the game.
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!