watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Early Use Of 'Fulhamish'

Started by White Noise, September 28, 2011, 06:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/09/27/early-use-of-the-term-fulhamish/

Early use of the term 'Fulhamish'

September 27, 2011

rich

But not perhaps as expected.  This from a 1935 Football Who's Who:

So "Fulhamish" was in fact our telephone telex address. Well I'll be...

mrska

yeah i knew this..  but great to see it in some old text...   it is in all the older programes too.. Good stuff..

Peabody

It was actually our telegram address. Telegrams were an early form of express delivery and were delivered by Telegram Boys. youngster who sped around on thier bycycles. I suppose that could be construed as telex.

Burt

What does the "Walgreen" bit refer to?

Peabody

I think it was in the Walham Green postal area.

LBNo11

...Walham Green was the postal area, shared by the dark side whose original stadium (also designed by Archibald Leitch) is sometimes referred to as WGDT or "Walham Green Dog Track" as they used to have a dog track around the perimeter of their pitch...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

CorkedHat

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 28, 2011, 09:47:57 AM
...Walham Green was the postal area, shared by the dark side whose original stadium (also designed by Archibald Leitch) is sometimes referred to as WGDT or "Walham Green Dog Track" as they used to have a dog track around the perimeter of their pitch...

Fulham Broadway Underground Station was known as Walham Green.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

LBNo11

...and to add to the telegraphic address Fulham FC's telephone number used to be RENown5621.

I see the directory incorrectly shows Craven Cottage as having been the ground since 1898 as opposed to 1896..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bog

Very interesting posting. I think all those members of the Old Sod's Army would be aware of this. As with the siting of those famous Bovril signs....

The Equalizer

Yesterday, I noticed for the first time that there's a really old Fulham picture up in the Whistle and Flute in Putney. It's a shot taken of the crowd walking to the Hammersmith End turnstiles by Eternit Wharf which takes in the side of the Johnny Haynes stand and the terraces on the Hammersmith End. The pic was taken in 1910, a real great image. The ground looks absolutely huge in it compared to now...

Has anyone seen this image before?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

And I thought the first use of 'Fulhamish' was Neville Chamberlain realizing world war II broke out.  093.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Quote from: finnster01 on September 28, 2011, 01:42:07 PM
And I thought the first use of 'Fulhamish' was Neville Chamberlain realizing world war II broke out.  093.gif

064.gif
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

CorkedHat

Quote from: finnster01 on September 28, 2011, 01:42:07 PM

No, that was Tosh Chamberlain on realising he scored a hat trick on his debut but still managed to lose the bloody game :down_under:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us