https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (01/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 01, 2011, 07:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FULHAM v QPR
MURPHY: QPR HAVE SOLD OUT HEROES

Danny Murphy thinks that QPR have ditched the heroes who got them into the Premier League.

Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Anton Ferdinand and Armand Traore have all been brought in by Neil Warnock as part of a huge revamp of the squad and only two players from the line-up that started the final game in the Championship played in last Sunday's goalless draw with Aston Villa.

Fulham skipper Murphy said: "I feel a bit for the lads who got them up as I don't think many of them are in the team.

"I know that's the way the Premier League works but it's kind of a quick evolution if you like.

"They've made some astute signings, SWP maybe being the most important as he can switch defence into attack so quickly.

"He's so very dangerous for us."

One survivor of the cull is Adel Taarabt who could easily have been lining up for Fulham in tomorrow's West London derby.

Former Spurs star Murphy added: "I know Adel from Tottenham. I said to Roy a couple of years ago to get him, even if it was on loan, because I thought he was an unbelievable talent when he was at Tottenham.

"He had a superb temperament. If he got kicked he never moaned, he got on with it. He had a strong mentality and he's reaping his rewards now, so he's probably destined for bigger and better things.

"But we've got to deal with him on Sunday, so we'll have to be careful.

"In the last couple of years, Chelsea have been the only real derby but I think QPR and Fulham fans have a bit of history with the groundshare and stuff.

"And, of course, the close proximity. But it's kind of more important, whoever we're playing, just to get some points on the board."

http://sportingpreview.com/football2012/11121319.php?

WhiteJC

Former Chelsea coach Clement in line to succeed Jensen as Blackburn No 2

Former Chelsea and Fulham coach Paul Clement is in the running to succeed John Jensen as Steve Kean's No 2 at Blackburn.

Kean is also a fan of Fulham's reserve team manager Billy McKinlay.

Jensen abruptly left Ewood Park on Thursday after just nine months.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2043914/Former-Chelsea-coach-Clement-line-Blackburn-No-2.html#ixzz1ZVYUqrIt

WhiteJC

The Dugout - Jol: Why England must back youth

EXCLUSIVE: Martin Jol gives an in-depth insight into his tactical philosophy at Fulham, and explains why England must put more faith in youngsters.

How does the playing culture differ between England, Netherlands and Germany?

I think you need to divide it between certain periods, because I played in England, Germany and Holland, and I have managed in all three countries as well. As a player it was different because it was probably 30 years ago.

As far as management is concerned, the culture is different in Holland because there your style is the most important thing. In Holland you could never play a real 4-4-2, because that is a direct style and in Holland they like to play the ball from the back. If you kicked the ball from the keeper they would criticise you, so you always have to play football.

For a small country like Holland that's a very good thing. We've only got 15 or 16 million people, so if we didn't make ourselves different we would probably be more like Luxembourg or Belgium, you know, a smaller country in football terms.

So for us it's important that we make a difference, and we produce different players, in the style of Rafael van deer Vaart, Wesley Sneijder or Robin van Persie. We will always have players like Arjen Robben, who you don't see in Germany or England.

So the playing style is the most important thing. Of course, if the players are good, they will go abroad when they are still young, but that is our fate, that is what will happen. The Dutch League is not the strongest because all of our top players play abroad - but Holland was top of the world rankings until two weeks ago. That was not because of the players in Holland, but those who were brought up in Holland and went to play abroad.

But they have all been brought up in the same style; playing angles, playing in pockets, trying to play football and that will always pull you through. It's not maybe the same as it was 30 years ago when we said 'if you score two, we'll score three'. It's more organised now, but the focus is always on your style, and if your style is good you will always win games.

In Germany they did it in a different way; their organisation and discipline were always the most important things. They were probably the only team who could win the World Cup in a 5-3-2, with five at the back like Arsenal did with Tony Adams at the time about 25 years ago. When opposition fans talked about 'Boring, boring Arsenal' it was because they played with five at the back and the Germans did that too.

Over the last 10 years, German football has changed and it is focusing on the academies more. You will see that all the teams in Germany are stronger because they give youngsters a chance.

All the youth teams, Under-17, Under-19, Under-21 - they all play in a good style, it shines through because you see a lot of youngsters in Germany now. They try to play their football now and the evidence lies in the fact that at the last World Cup they played in a Dutch way.

At that World Cup tournament in South Africa, Holland played in a German way, with two central midfielders in a sitting role; with a six and a four block. Six defenders and four players going forward. That is not Dutch because we always used to play in a five-five system which is what the Germans did at the recent World Cup, they had five attacking and five defending.

For example, they had Sami Khedira in midfield who played more offensively and Bastian Schweinsteiger who sat. The Dutch played with Nigel De Jong and Mark van Bommel who both sat in midfield.

Holland reached the World Cup final in a German way - but everyone was moaning because the most important thing is the style. The main man is Johan Cruyff and he was always criticising the coach during the tournament, saying 'you can't play like this'. The coach proved he could win by being organised and disciplined, but this was not Dutch, people weren't proud of the team. They would rather lose in a Dutch style than win in a German style. For the coach, it was more important to get to the World Cup final, and I appreciate that.

In England people always ask me: "Why doesn't Holland ever win things?" And I say: "What are you on about? We've got 15 million people, and we're always in the semi-finals! Don't you think that's enough? Isn't it a big achievement?" Everybody in the world appreciates our style but the only criticism is that we don't win things. But of course we won Euro '88, and we have had European Cups with Ajax and Feyenoord.

Now we talk about England - do you see a lot of youngsters (coming through) like in Holland and Germany? No. They don't get the chance because teams will buy players from abroad. In Germany they made a decision to try to develop players with academies - the English clubs were probably the first ones with academies, but they (the young players) never really get a chance. There are still some clubs with very good academies where they give the players a chance. But there are not enough. There is so much money at stake that everybody is under pressure for immediate results so they are often reluctant to play youngsters.

Your experience of different countries has given you a very rounded perspective - could British coaches develop their skills by going overseas?

You might have one or two in Holland or France, but in general foreign countries don't take British coaches because they believe in their own identity.

There are some coaches in Britain now, like Brendan Rodgers at Swansea, who is trying to play in a 4-3-3. That may be because Rodgers was at Chelsea with Jose Mourinho who played a 4-3-3, and perhaps he thought: "Hmm, that's not bad." Mourinho wanted results of course, but he still played in a 4-3-3 with great players, as he did at Porto.

In Spain you would probably think in distances. I'm in midfield, he's on the wing, and there can't be more than 20 metres between us. If the distances are too big, like in a 4-4-2 where there can be 40 metres between my midfielders and my wingers, there is never an angle.

Steve McClaren is a good example of an English coach who went abroad recently and succeeded. He went to Holland, played 4-3-3, adapted well and won the Dutch league. It was a very good learning experience for him. When he was Middlesbrough manager he sometimes played 4-5-1, and he had confirmation when he went to Holland.

You can't always play the formation that you want. I started here at Fulham with Andy Johnson and Bobby Zamora, and Moussa Dembele wasn't here, so I couldn't play a 4-3-3. I had to play the first eight weeks in a 4-4-2. Now you can start seeing us play good football. Why? Because I've got Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey. They were not here the first eight weeks.

It's about your players, but it's also about a philosophy. It would be good for British coaches to go abroad.

Fulham's season started in June with Europa League qualifiers - how did you adapt your pre-season preparations?

We approached it as a normal preparation. In terms of training and intensity, I always do either a four-week plan or a six-week plan. But I had so many games in a week - three games in seven days - that I had to change it to a four-week plan with a lot of neutral weeks between.

If you are playing three games, you can't load players before or after a game, especially if you have to play an official game. You can't change your whole team in the second half of an official game, because there are only three subs allowed. So that was a little bit of a problem.

We played almost our best team with 14 or 15 players. Normally you would have more like 20 players, but we couldn't do that because we simply didn't have the players. We offloaded 10 players in the pre-season - players like Greening, Gera, Gudjohnsen, Salcido, Dikgacoi, Stockdale, Pantsil - it was not easy because you need them all and we were left with only 14 or 15 players.

The intensity of the pre-season was the same. We started on the 23rd of June, and our first game was five days later, can you imagine? In a 'normal' pre-season you will play after five days, that's not a problem, but you will be able to use more players.

After the 1st of September, I had new players. Patjim Kasami came in, Dempsey played, Moussa came back. We had Bryan Ruiz come in. Then I could change the style and we played better football and created chances.

Now we are playing with a lower '10' instead of a second striker and the difference is showing. The only thing now is we have to score goals. Bobby Zamora was our only goal scorer and he was not available. So against West Brom we played with the young boy Orlando Sa, and that is not easy because he did not play for Porto over the last couple of months.

So it was a difficult start, but I had to lower the average age of the squad because it was the oldest squad in the Premier League. We did it with Marcel Gecov, Patjim Kasami, Sa and Matthew Briggs, who is now a regular in the 18-man squad.

It was an amazing achievement to reach the Europa League final two years ago - what are your ambitions for the club?

My ambition is to follow the same Dutch principle. If you play your best football, starting from the back, the results will come naturally. If you don't, you go back to the defensive, compact way - it's good, because it's the style Fulham used - but to go forward you need to score goals. The focus for me is on the performance and style - if you get that right, then you will achieve your objectives.

On Saturday we could have won easily; we could have beaten Chelsea; against Man City we came from two down to make it 2-2 and could have nicked it at the end. If you play good football, your opponent will be under pressure, and they will be the ones who have to shift to a 4-5-1, and that was good to see against Man City.

How will the introduction of Financial Fair Play affect Fulham - will it help to create a more level playing field?

If you talk about Financial Fair Play you could go on and on and on. Everybody takes Barcelona as an example, everybody. But they are 450 million euros in debt!

It's not the fairest set-up, but what I would like to see is the 6+5 rule, which will have the same effect. Play six players from abroad, and five English players. Then you will see the English national team benefit.

Of course you have got exceptions like Rooney and Wilshere who started young, but these are big, big players. Generally, will you see 19 or 20-year-old players in the England team? No. But if you see the Under-21s now with Sturridge, Henderson, Jones... they have all come through the ranks. I think the English are probably on the right path, but you will see if you get the 6+5 rule, it could be good and fair.

For example, I have got a player now in my reserves, Kerim Frei. He is 17 and has played eight games for us. Now I feel he would never have played for us if we hadn't given him the chance or if he was not good enough. But it was a necessity to play him because there was no Clint Dempsey and I needed someone to play on the left. That's the Dutch way - if your left winger is not there, you play the second one, and if he's not there you play your third. Kerim Frei has played a few games for us and he was one of our best players against Chelsea. If you have a 6+5 rule there will be more space for young players and it will start to pay off because it is not all about money.

But that is probably too Dutch! It is not reality...

Do you prefer a traditional British manager's role or a Continental-style system with a coach and a sporting director?

It is a long time since they said to the manager: "This is your budget, do what you like."

I think at every club in England the manager is working with a chief executive or a managing director who is taking care of the finances. I don't even think Sir Alex Ferguson is doing the financial side. But that is not the same as having somebody else who is responsible for choosing which players to buy. Sir Alex Ferguson chooses which players to buy, even if other people deal with the financial aspects.

I think it is a good structure to have a sporting director, but only if the manager is ultimately responsible for selecting the players. If the manager tells you not to get a player, don't get him. There are some clubs abroad where the sporting director is getting players in and the manager has to work with them; he is held responsible even though he maybe didn't want the players. That is wrong.

At Fulham I've got Alistair Mackintosh, who will always ask me: "Is he good?" So I've got my scouting system, and there will never be a player coming in without my permission. But the price and the wages of course have to be right, and they are doing the negotiations and I think that is right. So if they are too expensive, they won't come.

It can be a very good combination if you work together well. I worked well with Frank Arnesen at Spurs; we got along well, he never did anything behind my back. If I said: "I like this player," he would never say: "No, he is too expensive." He would find out first, then tell me. In a bad structure, the sporting director can tell you a player is too expensive or doesn't want to come without checking it out. In that case, you have got a big problem.

Martin Jol was speaking to Yahoo!'s 'The Dugout' through its partnership with the League Managers Association

Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01102011/58/dugout-jol-england-must-youth.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Queens Park Rangers: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and QPR at Craven Cottage on Sunday Sep 02 2011, kick-off 15.00 BST.

Sunday October 2nd
Fulham v Queens Park Rangers
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 BST
TV: Highlights BBC TWO Match of the Day2.

Fulham (Probable, 4-4-2): Schwarzer; Grygera, Baird, Hangeland, J Raise; Ruiz, Murphy, Dempsey, Duff; Zamora, Johnson.
Out: A Riise (groin), Davies (knee).
Tests: Zamora, Dembele (both illness).

QPR (Probable, 4-2-3-1): Kenny; Young, Hall, Ferdinand, Connolly; Derry, Faurlin; Wright-Phillips, Taarabt, Barton; Bothroyd.
Out: Gabbidon (knee) Hulse (Knee), Dyer (ankle), Mackie (broken leg).
Suspended: Traoré.

Referee: Andre Marriner (Matches 2, R0 Y5).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8796584/Fulham-v-Queens-Park-Rangers-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

Zamora back as QPR fret over Campbell

Fulham forwards Bobby Zamora and Moussa Demeble have been passed fit for Sunday's west London derby against QPR.

Both players have been struggling because of illness but will be available for the game, as will Bryan Ruiz who was cup-tied for the Europa League match against Odense.

It means Martin Jol has plenty of attacking options as he looks for his first Premier League win as Fulham manager.

Andrew Johnson is expected to keep his place up front after scoring twice against Odense, but youngster Matthew Briggs is carrying a knock and could miss out.

Whereas Fulham's frontmen have recovered, QPR continue to be concerned by the condition of summer signing DJ Campbell.

The striker this week suffered a recurrence of the mystery virus that recently sidelined him for three weeks, during which time he underwent a series of tests that revealed nothing.

But Campbell did train on Thursday and will be assessed ahead of the game at Craven Cottage, where Matt Connolly is expected to replace the suspended Armand Traore at left-back for the R's.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/zamora-back-as-qpr-assess-campbell-2/?

WhiteJC

QPR hoping to continue good form in Fulham derby clash

The words 'West London derby' normally conjure upo the image of Fulham attempting to get on over their big-spending neighbours Chelsea but this weekend it will be somewhat different.

The Cottagers find themselves in the rare position of being top dogs as they face newly-promoted QPR at Craven Cottage. However, while Fulham might be the team competing in Europe and an established member of the Premier League, it is their rivals from Shepherds Bush that are higher in the table having accumulated twice as many points in their six matches this season.

In facet, Fulham are yet to win a match in the league with draws plaguing Martin Jol's debut campaign in charge as they hover just above the bottom three. While that position might be alarming, decent displays in the Europa League point to it being a false one.

QPR have already won two matches this season which is all the more impressive after witnessing the 4-0 drubbing handed out to them on the opening day by Bolton Wanderers. The acquisition of Joey Bartom and Shaun Wright-Phillips has lifted everyone at Loftus Road and their team spirit and determination to succeed was exemplified when they secured an injury time equaliser against Aston Villa last weekend, albeit via a Richard Dunne own goal.

But if they are to record another impressive result they will have to thwart the likes of Bobby Zamora, Bryan Ruiz and an Andy Johnson who has rediscovered his shooting boots. QPR's Armand Traore sits the game out through suspension but otherwise manager Neil Warnock has no constraints over selection.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/qpr-hoping-to-continue-form-in-fulham-derby-clash-735/

WhiteJC

Strike duo back for Fulham

Fulham forwards Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele are both available for Sunday's west London derby against QPR after recovering from illness.

The Cottagers will give Aaron Hughes (knee) a fitness test tomorrow and Matthew Briggs is also a doubt with a bruised ankle that he suffered in last night's Europa League win against Odense.

Simon Davies remains sidelined by a long-term knee injury but Fulham boss Martin Jol said today that he hopes the midfielder will be available for selection by November.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, J Riise, Kelly, Briggs, Sidwell, Duff, Kasami, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz, Zamora, Etheridge, Senderos, Briggs, Grygera, Frei, Gecov, Sa, Johnson.

http://www.eecho.ie/news/sport/strike-duo-back-for-fulham-522674.html?

WhiteJC

FULHAM v QPR: Zamora and Dembele back in the frame for west London derby

Fulham forwards Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele are both available for Sunday's west London derby against QPR after recovering from illness.

The Cottagers will give Aaron Hughes (knee) a fitness test on Saturday and Matthew Briggs is also a doubt with a bruised ankle that he suffered in last night's Europa League win against Odense.

Fighting fit: Zamora (right) returns for Martin Jol

Simon Davies remains sidelined by a long-term knee injury but Fulham boss Martin Jol said on Friday that he hopes the midfielder will be available for selection by November.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, J Riise, Kelly, Briggs, Sidwell, Duff, Kasami, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz, Zamora, Etheridge, Senderos, Briggs, Grygera, Frei, Gecov, Sa, Johnson.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2043831/FULHAM-v-QPR-Bobby-Zamora-Mousa-Dembele-frame-west-London-derby.html#ixzz1ZVaaRxEK

WhiteJC

Etuhu hails AJ
Midfielder praises Cottagers striker

Etuhu: Feels Johnson deserves to keep his starting place

Fulham midfielder Dickson Etuhu has heaped praise on Europa League hero Andrew Johnson, saying he is the 'only striker of his kind'.

The former Everton and Crystal Palace striker bagged both goals in Fulham's 2-0 Europa League Group K win over Odense in Denmark on Thursday.

The 30-year-old also scored in the Cottagers' opening group game with FC Twente a fortnight ago to take his total in Europe this season to six.

Fellow strikers Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele missed the clash on Thursday and could return to play QPR at the weekend, but Etuhu feels Johnson has done enough to keep his place in the starting line-up.

"AJ is the only striker of his kind," said the 29-year-old.

"There are not many people around that go the other way and cause such problems with his pace and his fitness.

"He is always there, always sniffing for a goal. It is great to see him score again.

"He was unlucky not to get more games and hopefully that is something to show the manager he should use him a bit more."

The Nigerian midfielder was making only his second appearance after spending a month on the sidleines with a thigh injury and he could not hide his relief to be finally back on the pitch again.

"I've been injured for a while so it is nice to be back and get a game," added Etuhu.

"Obviously before that I wasn't really involved but it was nice to get a game.

"The win was good for the team, good for everybody's confidence and really good ahead of the weekend."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11661_7214101,00.html

WhiteJC

Warnock eyes first Cottage win
QPR boss Neil Warnock believes he finally has a team capable of ending his Craven Cottage hoodoo ahead of Sunday's west London derby.

Rangers make the short trip to Fulham this weekend for the first ever top-flight meeting between the neighbours, who have only squared off 27 times in more than a 100 years.

Fifteen of those games have come at Craven Cottage, a stadium Warnock has visited himself eight times as a player and manager.

The 62-year-old has never won there but he believes his star-studded Rangers side are ready to change that in Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash.

Warnock, who led QPR to the npower Championship title last season, said: "Last year, we broke one or two bad omens.

"I've definitely never been to Fulham with a team like this."

QPR are four points and seven places better off than winless Fulham and Warnock added: "I can't see us not performing.

"It'll be a good game because I think Fulham are a good team.

"I think they're in a false position as well.

"They'll be desperate to get a win over us and, likewise, I'm sure our fans are looking forward to it.

"Chelsea coming up as well - it's fabulous for the supporters to have local derbies like that in London."

Fulham go into Sunday's game on the back of last night's 2-0 Europa League win at Odense.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol has described the competition as an unwelcome distraction but Warnock questioned whether supporters who witnessed their stunning comeback to beat Juventus en route to the 2010 final would feel the same way.

"That must have been a fantastic night for their fans," Warnock said.

"It's all right saying it's a competition that you're not bothered about.

"But I think for Fulham, it's probably brought some of the best memories in the last 40, 50 years to the club.

"I know I'll remember that game forever, so goodness knows what the Fulham fans will think about it."

Warnock expressed sympathy with the schedule that saw Fulham begin their season in early July, with his own experience of European football slightly less arduous.

He added: "I've not been in Europe as a manager, other then when I took the Scarborough lads over to Spain for a few days.

"We fixed two games up from this guy who said he knew about these games.

"One of their lads had glasses on like Benny Hill's.

"I knew then that it wasn't proper football."

This season's QPR-Fulham games could be among the last to be played at Craven Cottage and Loftus Road, amid reports of the two clubs sharing a new stadium.

Warnock said: "It's only a matter of time before both stadiums are bulldozed, unfortunately, because no clubs playing at the level that they're playing at can sustain that.

"So I think it's something that'll be talked about."

Meanwhile, Warnock shrugged off the possible loss of enigmatic playmaker Adel Taarabt to the African Nations Cup in January.

Taarabt retired from international football after storming out of a team training camp three months ago but he has been recalled for the upcoming qualifier with Tanzania.

That could mean he is away for up to a month at the start of next year.

Warnock joked: "That'll be a relief for me. January, I'll be ready to lose him for a month.

"Go away and have a month with them. Let me have a break and give somebody else an opportunity."

http://www.football365.com/queens-park-rangers/7214086/Warnock-eyes-first-Cottage-win?

WhiteJC

Squad sheets: Fulham v Queens Park Rangers

Queens Park Rangers' promotion means west London has another Premier League derby fixture. Fulham have not exactly made a stellar start to life under the stewardship of Martin Jol, failing to win any of their first six league games, but Thursday's 2-0 win at Odense in the Europa League on Thursday suggests they are going in the right direction. The same can be said of QPR, who are unbeaten ever since Tony Fernandes took control of the club, and comfortably beat Wolves 3-0 the last time they played away from home. Jon Vale

Venue Craven Cottage

Tickets £45-£60 (0843 208 1234)

Last season n/a

Referee A Marriner

This season's matches 2 Y5, R0, 2.50 cards per game

Odds Fulham 19-20 QPR 3-1 Draw 23-10

Fulham v QPR: Probable starters on bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Somogyi, Kelly, Duff, Kasami, Johnson, Ruiz, Senderos, Kacaniklic, Frei, Grygera, Briggs, Gecov, Ethuhu Doubtful Hughes (knee), Briggs (ankle)

Injured BH Riise (hamstring, 8 Oct), Davies (knee, Nov)

Suspended None

Form guide DDDLLD

Disciplinary record Y12 R0

Leading scorer Zamora 2

QPR

Subs from Murphy, Campbell, Buzsaky, Smith, Puncheon, Ephraim, Helguson, Orr, Perone, Hewitt, Murphy, Harriman, Andrade, Hill, Agyemang Doubtful None

Injured Dyer (foot, 8 Oct), Gabbidon (calf, 8 Oct)Mackie (leg, 16 Oct), Hulse (knee, 23 Oct)

Suspended Traoré (one match)

Form guide DWDLWL

Disciplinary record Y7 R2

Leading scorer Faurlín, Smith, Barton, Campbell 1

Match pointers

• This will be the first ever top-flight meeting between these London clubs

• Since the start of last season, Fulham have drawn more games than any other Premier League side (20)

• QPR have started with 21 different players this season, a joint division-high

• Should he feature, Joey Barton will make his 200th Premier League appearance

• Damien Duff is one shy of 50 Premier League goals

• QPR have won none of their last seven top-flight London derbies away from home

Fulham v Queens Park Rangers Tomorrow 3pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/30/squad-sheets-fulham-qpr?

WhiteJC

Jol backs 'fantastic' Ruiz to find form at Fulham

Martin Jol insists he is not concerned by Bryan Ruiz's slow start at Fulham, and has vowed to give the striker plenty of time to make his mark.

Ruiz has yet to find the net since arriving from FC Twente in August in a £10million deal and missed the decisive penalty in a Carling Cup shoot-out defeat at Chelsea earlier this month.

Jol, however, is convinced the 26-year-old will eventually prove a big hit with the Craven Cottage faithful.

"If you see what we see in training, you would not worry a bit. He is a fantastic player," said the Dutchman, ahead of Sunday's London derby with QPR.

"When he settles here and when we settle down and get results, you will see that it's much easier for him. Don't forget I've got other players who are a bit like him, like Moussa Dembele.

"For me, it is not a problem. You've got players like [Peter] Crouch who did very well [for Stoke] in his first couple of games but he's an English player, he knows the English game. But Ruiz needs a few weeks."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1154/18/jol-backs-fantastic-ruiz-find-form-fulham?

WhiteJC

Game Preview - QPR (h)

It's about time that we at Fulham resumed some sort of rivalry with a club within our locale - it's not like there's few to choose from. Chelsea have provided the closest resemblance to a local derby over recent years, but while we anticipate the game with an abundance of expectation, apprehension and, to a certain degree, resentment, the feeling from Stamford Bridge is a long way off being reciprocated. To them, we are but another team on the calender. Queens Park Rangers though, surely, must provide a more tangible definition for Fulham's 'grudge match of the season'.

So, step forward Neil Warnock and your valiant warriors. Welcome to Craven Cottage.

Queen's Park Rangers are, of course, new to this latest era of Premier League football, having been promoted off the back of Bernie Ecclestone led investment and some astute management from the vociferous Neil Warnock. He guided his men to the Championship title last year but in doing so, hazed the rulings of third party ownership, with the purchase of Alejandro Faurlin being punished with a paltry fine of £875,000.

Their summer has been an entertaining one, for want of a more suitable word. With Ecclestone in charge, little was happening on the transfer front, but once he had departed and Tony Fernandes made himself comfortable in his new chairman seat, the dealings began to creep through. Most notable was undoubtedly Joey Barton's move south from Newcastle, an acquisition Warnock claimed was only plausible 'because of his considerable baggage.' Put in the bluntest of terms but most assuredly true.

The start to their season has reflected their turbulent summer quite well, what with a weary start that included 3 defeats in their opening 4 matches. Form has picked up since Fernandes revival of the club's finances and Warnock didn't lose a game throughout September. Their latest outing on Sunday brought them a respectable point at home to a strong Aston Villa side - a Collins own goal in the dying moments of the game saving Warnock's blushes.

Fulham, meanwhile, have little to brag about with regards to form. Martin Jol has yet to pick up a Premier League win with his new club and he will be hoping a mid week win over Danish side Odense in the Europa League will go a long way to boost some dragging confidence in his newly inherited squad. Andy Johnson was particularly sharp in Denmark but doubts still linger over his long term future with a contract renewal still yet to be agreed. As always, though, despite the lackluster start, home performances remain at a premium and QPR will do well to take anything from a ground that is becoming infamous for it's difficulty to extract points from.

Fulham have played QPR a total of 27 times and have only come out superior on 10 occasions, as opposed to QPR who have won 12.

This latest match up, though, has brought around a new question for both Tony Fernandes and Mohammed Al Fayed to ponder, and that is the thought of ground sharing in the near future. Warnock didn't deny that such an event was plausible and both parties seem to think it makes fiscal sense. Whether the fans will agree is another matter.

Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele should return for Fulham while Aaron Hughes faces a late fitness test, but Simon Davies remains out. Armand Traore will return for the visitors while Danny Gabbidon will miss the tie.

Predicted Line-Up: Schwarzer; Riise, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes; Dempsey, Murphy, Sidwell, Duff; Johnson, Zamora

Score Prediction: Fulham 2 - 1 QPR

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/9/30/2460191/game-preview-qpr-h?

WhiteJC

JOL CALM DESPITE WINLESS START

Martin Jol is not worried about Fulham's winless start to the season and is convinced his team will start climbing the Barclays Premier League table once they improve their goalscoring form.

Fulham are hovering just above the relegation zone after failing to win any of their opening six league games.

Jol's men are currently the only top-flight side yet to win this term, but they have picked up four points thanks to draws against West Brom, Chelsea, Manchester City and Blackburn.

The Dutchman, who took over from Mark Hughes this summer, had seen his side go without a win in eight matches in all competitions until Thursday night's 2-0 win against Odense BK in Denmark.

The victory has left the Cottagers boss in an upbeat mood ahead of Sunday's west London derby against QPR and he is convinced that his team will start winning league games soon.

An upbeat Jol said: "Today is great. We have sunny weather, it's a nice atmosphere in Fulham, the people are relaxed and we had a nice win yesterday. Life is great. I'm totally enjoying it

"I don't think there is a big concern because we have got a lot of draws and we should have won two or three games.

"It's not a disaster. We have had five draws on the trot and we could have win three easily."

One glance at the table reveals the reason behind Fulham's poor start to the season - a lack of goals.

Jol's men have scored a measly four times in the league this term, with the Dutchman's strikers struggling to find their touch.

Andrew Johnson is the only marksman that has scored on a regular basis, but each of his six goals have come in the Europa League.

Johnson scored both goals in Thursday night's win, and Jol now hopes others can repeat the former Crystal Palace striker's efforts in the league.

"Last week at West Brom in the first half we had 60% possession away from home and we created four or five chances but we couldn't put them away," Jol continued.

"That's probably the biggest worry.

"The only thing is that you have to score goals.

"That didn't happen so there is no real place for concern but we need the players to put the ball away.

"Andy Johnson solved that yesterday so hopefully other players will do the same in the future."

Johnson's brace has given Jol a major selection headache for Sunday's game at Craven Cottage as Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele are available again after missing the trip to Denmark through illness.

Aiming to score goals for the opposition on Sunday will be a man who Jol knows well - Adel Taarabt.

Taarabt was coming through the ranks at Tottenham while Jol was manager at White Hart Lane.

The forward has excelled since he left the north London club and is now one of the stars of Neil Warnock's team, who have made a good start to their first season back in the top flight following a 15-year absence.

Warnock has often complained that Taarabt is a difficult player to manage, but Jol has nothing but praise for the Moroccan youngster.

"Taarabt was very easy to manage. He is a very good boy," Jol said.

"It was easier then because he was very young, but even then they called him 'the wizard'.

"He is capable of doing anything in the game and if you are looking for a number 10 then he is a number 10.

"He scored 19 goals last year and got 18 or 19 assists so he is top quality player and everyone is aware of that - even abroad."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/30/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

THE MIKE NORMAN COLUMN
FULHAM v QPR: TIPSTER ON TOP FORM

After six out of six winning selections the previous week and a 3.6 winning nap last week Mike Norman's form is not in question...

It's not very often - because Betfair layers know their stuff - I glance at a market and believe the odds are wrong, but in this instance I think they are. I could be completely wrong of course but my tissue had Fulham at 2.4 and QPR at 3.2, so to see the away side available to back at 4.2 and the home side available to lay at 2.04 looks too good an opportunity to miss.

I don't have any stats to back up my hunch but I just don't like clubs that have played away in Europe a few days before, and although Fulham won quite easily in Denmark, Martin Jol did field a pretty strong side similar to the one he'll field in this fixture.

And as Opta point out, the stats are very much in our favour. Fulham have won none of their last nine London derbies in the Premier League and they've failed to win any of their last seven league games, drawing their last three.

The only thing that dampens my enthusiasm for an away victory is Fulham's record on home soil. The Cottagers have lost just one of their last 12 league games at home but they have drawn five of them including all three this season.

I just can't get away from QPR though at the odds, and it adds further confidence when I read Opta stating the Fulham have already failed to score in a game on six occasions this season (all competitions).

Match Odds:
Fulham v QPR, KO: 15:00 (Sunday), Match Odds: Fulham 2.02, QPR 4.2, The Draw 3.5

Recommended Bets:
Best Bet: Back QPR @ 4.2 to beat Fulham
Lay Fulham @ 2.04 to beat QPR

http://www.sportingpreview.com/columns2012/11120320.php?

WhiteJC

Fulham V QPR – Match Preview

A London derby at Craven Cottage see's Fulham host neighbours QPR in their first top flight meeting with the hosts continuing their search a first Premier League win of the season.

The Cottagers have been brilliant in the Europa League and recorded a fantastic 2-0 win on Thursday night away at Danish side Odense BK. Despite their successes in Europe manager Martin Jol has failed to transport that form into their league campaign seeing his side pick up only four points from their first six games. Hovering just above the relegation zone in 17th place wasn't the start most Fulham fans envisaged when the season kicked off in August but the truth his the Cottagers have struggled. Despite signing Bryan Ruiz for £10 million from Twente on deadline day goalscoring remains a serious issue with Bobby Zamora, Moussa Dembele and Andy Johnson also struggling to find the net. New Costa Rican signing Ruiz has begun his career in England at a startlingly slow pace but had the chance to make himself a hero in last Saturday's 0-0 draw away at West Brom but contrived to stab the ball off the post and wide with a few minutes left on the clock. Jol, who was revered for the attacking philosophy he adopted at Tottenham, needs to get his players motivated and focused on making what do in the final third count. Aaron Hughes is an injury doubt with a knee problem and will require a fitness test with fellow defender Matthew Briggs also a worry.

Goalscoring is also a problem for Neil Warnock with his QPR strikers also coming across as shot shy after last week's draw against Aston Villa at Loftus Road. Jay Bothroyd and DJ Campbell both failed to find the net with Richard Dunne's late own goal giving the R's a point they didn't deserve. A week earlier they had brushed aside a tame Wolves side with Joey Barton and Alejandro Faurlin suppling the goals from midfield. Campbell also got on the scoresheet at Molineux and will be hoping to start at Craven Cottage on Sunday after recovering from injury. Warnocks side are unbeaten since his deadline day splurge and look a lot healthier after the addition of a few experienced Premier League heads. Their know how on the road has certainly come to good use with the Rangers claiming six of their eight points away from home. They've won both games in which they've taken the lead so victory should be assured against Fulham who have yet to open the scoring in any of their league fixtures this season. Armand Traore misses the game after his sending off last week with fellow defender Daniel Gabbidon also out through injury.

Key Players

Danny Murphy - The Fulham skipper has been in inspired form in the last few weeks rolling back the years with some commanding displays in the middle of midfield. They'll need his experience and guile if they are to win their first Premier League game of the season.

Adel Taarabt - A glittering performance from the Moroccan in last week's draw with Villa highlighted that he can mix it with the Premier Leagues best. Admittedly he did fade in the second period but is always a threat with the ball at his feet.

Verdict: 0-1

Fuham's Danny Murphy is the highest ranked player from either club in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index in 21st place, while Alejandro Faurlin is QPR's top ranked player in 62nd place

Murphy has anchored the Fulham midfield this season, winning 85% of tackles entered into and making 10 interceptions. He has also put in ten crosses, while team mate Damien Duff stays top of the ranking for crosses with 30 this season.

QPR are also due some goals. Taarabt is the player in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index with the most shots on target without scoring (14)

Faurlin and Taarabt also both occupy places in the top passers in the league, in 9th and 13th places respectively and above internationals stars such as Frank Lampard and Ashley Young

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/09/football-news/fulham-v-qpr-match-preview

WhiteJC

Jol calm despite poor start
Cottagers boss refusing to hit panic button

Martin Jol is unconcerned over Fulham's winless start to the Premier League and is confident they can turn things around once they start scoring more goals.

Fulham sit just above the drop zone after failing to win any of their opening six league games.

Jol's men are currently the only top-flight side yet to win this term, but they have picked up four points thanks to draws against West Brom, Chelsea, Manchester City and Blackburn.

Winless

The Dutchman, who took over from Mark Hughes this summer, had seen his side go without a win in eight matches in all competitions until Thursday night's 2-0 success against Odense BK in Denmark.

The victory has left the Cottagers boss in an upbeat mood ahead of Sunday's West London derby against QPR and he is convinced that his team will start winning league games soon.

An upbeat Jol said: "Today is great. We have sunny weather, it's a nice atmosphere in Fulham, the people are relaxed and we had a nice win yesterday. Life is great. I'm totally enjoying it

"I don't think there is a big concern because we have got a lot of draws and we should have won two or three games.

"It's not a disaster. We have had five draws on the trot and we could have won three easily."

One glance at the table reveals the reason behind Fulham's poor start to the season - a lack of goals.

Jol's men have scored a measly four times in the league this term, with the Dutchman's strikers struggling to find their touch.

Andrew Johnson is the only marksman that has scored on a regular basis, but each of his six goals have come in the Europa League.

Johnson scored both goals in Thursday night's win, and Jol now hopes others can repeat the former Crystal Palace striker's efforts in the league.

Chances

"Last week at West Brom in the first half we had 60% possession away from home and we created four or five chances but we couldn't put them away," Jol continued.

"That's probably the biggest worry. The only thing is that you have to score goals.

"That didn't happen so there is no real place for concern but we need the players to put the ball away.

"Andy Johnson solved that yesterday so hopefully other players will do the same in the future."

Fulham 10/11
Draw 5/2
Q.P.R. 3/1

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7214324,00.html?

WhiteJC

QPR's Squad Story

The story surrounding QPR so far this season is how their first game should be treated like a mulligan. The story goes that since the ownership change and subsequent decisions by the brass to, you know, actually spend money, QPR now has a solid, bona fide squad.

Which they do. But the fact that what we may see on Sunday is somehow completely and utterly different from their squad on Opening Day is just false.

Here was the lineup in their 4-0 demolition by Bolton:
Kenny
Dyer (Orr)
Hall
Gabbidon
Hill
Derry
Faurlín
Campbell, DJ
Taarabt (Buzsaky)
Smith (Helguson)
Bothroyd

And here was their lineup from last week's 1-1 draw with Aston Villa:
Kenny
Young, L
Hall
Ferdinand, A
Traoré
Barton
Derry (Helguson)
Faurlín
Wright-Phillips (Smith)
Taarabt
Bothroyd (Campbell, DJ)

By my count, that's only 5 different players in last week's match from Opening Day. May seem like a lot but in comparison we started 6 different players last week  from our Opening Day lineup. Manchester United had the same difference too.

These changes may stem from injuries to our squad, and the additions to QPR's squad. But QPR's horrible, no good, very bad, squad from Opening Day managed to beat Everton 1-0 the very next week. All told four changes were made to the starting lineup, but one was due to Dyer's injury. The next week they would lose to Wigan 2-0, but only one change was made to the starting lineup: Bradley Orr hurt his knee and was replaced by Bruno Perone.

And all this happened before the transfer deadline.

For me, the big difference in QPR's fortunes is twofold: new ownership and change in tactics.

In QPR's first three games, Neil Warnock employed a 4-2-3-1. They won 1, lost 2; 1GF, 6GA. Since switching to a 4-4-1-1 they've won one, drawn 2; 4GF 1GA. There probably is a correlation between the players that became available and the formations used, but Neil knew what wasn't working and promptly changed it.

Secondly, the change in ownership lifted a suffocating malaise around the club (much like it had for Liverpool last season). All summer Bernie Ecclestone was acting more like a baseball owner from the early 20th Century than a chairman of a football club in the early 21st. He was an extremely wealthy owner that flat out refused to spend any money on the newly promoted team. Then, on August 18, Malaysian businessman Tony Fernandes bought out Bernie's 66% stake in the club. Perceived–sometimes more important than actual–fortunes began to turn around.

So, sure, Joey Barton and Shuan Wright-Phillips weren't at QPR on Opening Day. But Paddy Kenny, Adel Taarabt, Fitz Hall, Shaun Derry, Alejandro Faurlin, and Jay Bothroyd were.

And let's give them some respect, please.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/qprs-squad-story/?

WhiteJC

One to Watch - Clint Dempsey

Name: Clint Dempsey

Date of Birth: 9/3/1983

Nationality: USA

Former Clubs: New England Revolution

League Appearances (Goals): 224 (59)

International Appearances (Goals): 78 (22)

Stat of the Day: Clint Dempsey scored a season-high 5 Premier League goals from corners in the 2010/2011 season

The Premier League has often been graced with talented goalkeepers of American nationality (not forgetting ex-QPR goalkeeper Juergen Sommer), but a handful of 'soccer` flops have had their fair chance of making a name in the English top flight (Eddie Johnson, Jozy Altidore, Oguchi Onyewu to name a few) and have sensationally failed to impress. One not to be associated with this assembly of American washouts is Clint Dempsey. The 28-year-old has brought guile, enthusiasm and a touch of class to Craven Cottage, earning him the respect of everyone associated with Fulham.

Dempsey has the knack of making things happen out of nothing, and whilst he prefers to play in an attacking role just behind the striker, is often employed as a left winger able to cut in and create chances for his strike partners. He is certainly a player that has a bit of everything - great dribbling technique, an impressive heading ability, the skill of getting in simple goal scoring positions and a feistiness that adds a bit of toughness to his game. One of the many under-rated players in the Premier League the American is definitely one to watch out for on Sunday.

(If you fancy a laugh, search for Clint Dempsey (aka Deuce) 'rapping` on youtube).

Playing Career

'The New England Revolution selected Clint Dempsey 8th overall in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft`. As I`m not entirely sure what that actually means, we`ll say Dempsey started off his career at The New England Revolution, where in his first season he scored seven goals in 24 appearances, earning him the honor of 'MLS Rookie of the Year 2004`.

In 2007 Fulham signed Dempsey for $4 million, then the largest amount ever offered for an MLS player. During his first few months at Craven Cottage, Fulham`s longest serving player helped retain the club`s top-flight status at the end of the 2006/07 with a winning goal against Liverpool. Dempsey continued his goal scoring form the season after, finishing as the club`s joint top scorer in the league with seven alongside Andrew Johnson.

At the end of the 2008/09 season the frontman led the United States to the final of the Confederations Cup, underlining his talent on the international stage with three goals in five games - form that earned him the Bronze Ball as the tournament`s third best player behind Tim Howard and winner Kaka. During the 2009/10 season Dempsey more than played his part in helping Fulham reach the Final of the UEFA Europa League. It was his winning goal against Juventus, a spectacular chip from 20 yards, which earned Fulham a 5-4 aggregate victory over the Italian giants.

Following his European adventure with Fulham, Dempsey headed to the 2010 World Cup, managing to 'score` against England. Dempsey returned to Fulham to lead the line admirably during the 2010/11 season, scoring 13 goals as Fulham finished the season in 8th place. This season Dempsey has started where he left off last campaign, scoring a brace against FC Dnipro in the UEFA Europa League.

http://www.qpr.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257455

WhiteJC

NEIL WARNOCK IS CRAVEN VICTORY

NEIL WARNOCK is looking to break new ground at Craven Cottage tomorrow.

Warnock's QPR travel to Fulham for the first of eight London derbies they will face this term.

And even though he has never tasted victory at the ground in eight games as a player and manager, Warnock believes his side can spring a surprise.

He said: "I have never been to Fulham with a team like this, so I am looking on the bright side.

"I never knew until someone pointed it out to me that I have never won at Craven Cottage.

"But I can't wait for all the derby games. Nobody will be expecting us to get anything out of them. But the opportunity is there for us to ruffle a few feathers."

Warnock praised his opposite number Martin Jol for leading Fulham through a gruelling start to the season which began in June with their Europa League qualifiers.

He added: "I have not been in Europe as a manager, other than when I took the Scarborough lads to Malaga for a few days.

"I think we played the waiters in one game. One of the lads had glasses tied round the back of his head like Benny Hill.

"That was my only experience in Europe, but when I saw Fulham were playing their first game on our first day of training, that really hit home to me how difficult it must be."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/213703/Neil-Warnock-is-Craven-victory/?