more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (04/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2011, 08:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Pressure has eased - Hangeland

Brede Hangeland believes Fulham's resounding 6-0 win against west London rivals QPR has relieved the pressure building at Craven Cottage.

While some feared the Cottagers may struggle with a hangover from their midweek European exertions, they dominated from the offset on Sunday against their neighbours from less than three miles up the road.

Andrew Johnson was the standout performer for the Whites, netting a hat-trick as Fulham secured their first Premier League victory of the season.

Hangeland admitted the start of the season has been frustrating for everybody involved with the club, although he believes Sunday's result can act as a catalyst.

"It was a great, great day at work finally after a few disappointments and quite a slow start to the season," he said.

"We've tried to get goals and then all of a sudden they come at once so it was a good result for us.

"There is a bit of pressure off us and we can prepare well for the next game.

"We're always under pressure but especially when results have not been as good as they should be.

"We're very happy to get that result against QPR."

Fulham impressed as a cohesive team unit throughout the 6-0 win despite reports emanating earlier in the day about divisions within the camp.

There had also been talk that manager Martin Jol's position was coming under threat but Hangeland rubbished such suggestions.

"We're all in this together and everyone involved with the club can feel a bit of extra pressure when things haven't gone as well as we wanted them to," he said.

"That goes for me, the rest of the players and I am sure the manager as well.

"We're very much a united club.

"I think there is always a bit of frustration when we play reasonably well and don't get the results and people wonder why this is happening.

"You can see we are still a good team and can take a lot of confidence form this."

He added: "The big thing for me is to score first in the Premier League.

"That gives us a little bit of a chance to relax and the other team has to chase it.

"We're quite good when we can sit back and counter-attack it, especially at home.

"To get that first goal finally after six games was a good feeling."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7220412/Pressure-has-eased-Hangeland?

WhiteJC

Johnson ready to commit future to Fulham

Andrew Johnson insists he has no intention of walking out on Fulham this summer.

The former England striker scored his first Premier League hat-trick on Sunday as Martin Jol's side swept aside near neighbours QPR 6-0 at Craven Cottage.

The treble came just days after he scored twice against Odense in the Europa League, bringing his total this season to nine goals in all competitions - just one fewer than his previous best tally of 10 during his first campaign at Craven Cottage.

That came after Fulham paid Everton £10.5m for his services in August 2008 but a series of injuries has prevented the club from ever really getting their money's worth.

And they are now in danger of losing Johnson for nothing at the end of this season when his current deal expires.

Jol insists the club are doing all they can to keep the 30-year-old in west London and revealed that they have offered him a two-year deal with the option of a third - but so far Johnson has failed to sign.
However, the former Crystal Palace frontman is adamant that he has no intention of leaving Fulham and is ready to commit his future to the club.

"I hope something can be sorted out soon with a contract," Johnson said. "I have said I want to stay here, we have been talking for some time but it is a busy period for clubs - the transfer window only recently closed.

"The club and myself are talking and I hope something can get sorted. I don't think it is in question that I want to stay at the club, I go out on the pitch and I work my heart out. I have proved that since the start of the season. I am a Fulham player and I want to stay it that way."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1163/27/johnson-ready-commit-future-fulham?

WhiteJC

Fulham - England Call-Ups!

Our heartiest congratulations go to two Fulham players who have made Fabio Capello`s squad of twenty-four for the forthcoming international with Montenegro.

The game, in which England needs a point to ensure qualification for 2012; takes place this coming Friday and both Bobby Zamora and David Stockdale have been selected.

For Bobby it is the first time he`s been back in the squad since the leg injury that kept him out last season whilst for David, on loan at Portman Road, it is fast becoming a recurring theme.

Our best wishes, for Friday, got to the lads.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257710#ixzz1ZnOREjMo

WhiteJC

Milestone Time!

As well as scoring more in a game than he`d scored all last season, Andrew Johnson set another couple of milestones yesterday.

The goals ended a run of 9 Premier League games without a goal for the striker whilst it was also his first hat-trick in the Premier League and the first from a Fulham player as well.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257711#ixzz1ZnOmyLOf

WhiteJC

A Few Mischievous Words!

The stories in the national media, yesterday, about an apparent row between Bobby Zamora and Martin Jol, have brought a response from our Dutch manager.

Post the 6-0 win over our near-neighbours, Queens Park Rangers, Martin had this to say about the Zamora situation,

"Hopefully Bobby will start liking me - because I like him after scoring a goal. You tell someone he should do something different, but I can`t remember a bust up with Bobby."

"The only thing is Bobby is a sensitive person. When you leave him out, if he`s ill in bed you can`t expect me to take him with us. We didn`t have a row."

"He was ill. He wasn`t even on the training ground. I told him he had better stay here and do some extra training sessions."

That all seems fair enough to me!

And as for the combination with Andrew Johnson, one we`ve yet to see really flourish due to one reason or another, Jol added,

"He makes a combination with Andy Johnson. When I came here I said to Andy, 'I think you`re capable of scoring 12 or 15 goals." I think he will prove me right."

After two wins on the trot, I`m now starting to get excited after my early season enthusiasm was somewhat dampened by that sequence of no wins in eight games.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257712#ixzz1ZnP4CQGi

WhiteJC

Latest on Johnson Deal

It`s something we`ve commented twice on already, the supposed uncertainty over the future of Andrew Johnson.

Yesterday we left it with AJ admitting he`d love to stay, even more so we suspect after the first hat-trick of his Fulham career.

Martin Jol, when asked about the very subject by the media, following the 6-0 thrashing of Queens Park Rangers, has this to say about the situation,

"Other people are in negotiations with Andy and I will back him all the time."

"He scored more goals today than the whole of last season."

"I think we are a good combination, Fulham and Andy, but it`s a good deal for him. You would be happy with it. We offered AJ this year, next year and an option. It was good."

So let`s get pen on paper then!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257713#ixzz1ZnPKUbTg

WhiteJC

Hughes denied N Ireland send-off

Aaron Hughes will not make a farewell appearance for Northern Ireland after a groin injury ruled him out of their final Euro 2012 qualifiers.

Retiring Northern Ireland captain Hughes is not fit to play against Estonia and Italy.

The defender recently announced his decision to quit international football when the current European campaign concludes and an untimely injury has now brought about a premature end to his NI career.

The 31-year-old had hoped to lead the side out for the final time at Windsor Park against Estonia on Friday before making his last appearance against Italy four days later but instead finishes up with 79 caps, having made his debut in 1998.

The Fulham defender hopes to prolong his top-flight career for as long as possible and last week decided his country's arduous World Cup 2014 qualification schedule - which includes trips to Russia, Azerbaijan and Israel - would be a campaign too far.

Hughes enjoyed a distinguished international career after debuting against Slovakia in 1998 and scored his first and only goal against the Faroe Islands in August.

On a difficult day for boss Nigel Worthington, Hughes was joined by striker Josh McQuoid (virus) and midfielder Jamie Ward (hamstring) in pulling out of both games.

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans is doubtful for the fixtures with an ankle problem while Preston defender Conor McLaughlin has been called up as cover.

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7220675/Hughes-denied-N-Ireland-send-off?

WhiteJC

Bobby Zamora Doesn't Like Martin Jol, According to Jol

"I can't remember a bust-up with Bobby. He's a sensitive person and if you leave him out because he's ill in bed maybe he doesn't like it. That could be the case.

"The day before we left for Denmark he trained but I told him to stay here to do some sessions because I had Andy Johnson, and he proved to be enough.

"Bobby scored a very good goal [against QPR] and hopefully he will start liking me because I like him after scoring a goal."

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/10/3/2466614/bobby-zamora-doesnt-like-martin-jol-according-to-jol?

WhiteJC

Fulham Weren't That Bad Before Sunday, And Aren't That Good On Monday

The latest fad seems to be writing features using Moneyball, the recently released film based upon the book that chronicled Billy Beane and the Oakland Athletcis' sabermetric-based approach to player evaluation, as a pretext for some assertion. Here's where I give in to the fad, though hopefully I do it in a less-than-cheap way.

Also, fair warning, spoilers of a very mild nature lurk after this sentence for anyone who has not read the book, watched the movie or has little familiarity with the 2002 Major League Baseball season. You've been warned.

Early in the Athletics' cinematically-streamlined player evaluation experiment, Peter Brand, based primarily off of then-A's assistant general manager Paul DePodesta, and Beane go to speak with the owner about their team's rough start, mainly to defend themselves.

The team had lost a handful of its most influential players during the off-season, and expectations were lowered heading into 2002. Still, there were expectations, and losing wasn't one of them.

Brand told the owner that, despite the A's sitting well below .500, he still expected them to be within fighting distance of first place by the midway point of the season, and challenging for a playoff spot by the end of it.

He relied on data to say that, while the team was losing, statistical variation would eventually even out in the A's favor. Meaning they were a good team, but the bounces were going against them.

The bounces wouldn't always go against them, and once everything was said and done, the team's results would accurately reflect its quality.

Much like Fulham, and their rough start to the early Premier League season, a bit of smoke and mirrors made them seem worse-off than they truly were.

After Sunday's resounding 6-0 victory over Queen's Park Rangers, Fulham became the very last team to record a win in the Premiership. Before that, manager Martin Jol was taking heat from fans, stories of locker room disharmony were leaking,  it was mass hysteria.

And then an emphatic derby victory. The clouds lifted. All was right in the world again.

The fact is that Fulham was a better team than their record indicated before they laid the hammer on QPR.

QPR is also better than the 6-0 scoreline would indicate, and Fulham, especially its offense, isn't that dominant (but it is good).

Individual games and scorelines are merely blips on the radar, small samples of data that will become much more complete by the end of the season. And when that time comes, it's hard to imagine the data showing Fulham as anything but a solid team.

Sunday's match was the Cottagers' 18th of the season in all competitions. It raises the club's record to 1-4-2 in Premiership play, but to 7-8-3 overall, with one shootout loss to Chelsea.

Not too shabby, especially when you've averaged one competitive match every 5.3 days since June 30, and a match every 4 days when including friendlies.

By what we do about the team, its acclimation to new tactics, fixture congestion, and the general run of play in matches so far, Fulham is a good team. It's not a threat to qualify for the Champions League, or maybe even a Europa League spot. But it is a good team with a wealth of attacking depth and experience.

The Whites will be nowhere near the relegation fray come February. You can bookmark this and rub it in my face if I'm wrong, but I don't expect crow to be on the menu in 2012.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/10/3/2466379/fulham-werent-that-bad-before-sunday-and-arent-that-good-on-monday-qpr-6-0?

WhiteJC

Andy Johnson pledges future to Fulham

ANDY Johnson insists he is ready to commit his future to Fulham.

The former England frontman smashed a hat-trick in Sunday's derby drubbing of west London rivals QPR, but is in the final 12 months of his contract at Craven Cottage.

Johnson is yet to sign the two-year extension on the table, but says he has no intention of quitting SW6.

He said: "I hope something can be sorted out soon with a contract.

"I have said I want to stay here, we have been talking for some time but it is a busy period for clubs - the transfer window only recently closed.

"The club and myself are talking and I hope something can get sorted. I don't think it is in question that I want to stay at the club, I go out on the pitch and I work my heart out.

"I have proved that since the start of the season. I am a Fulham player and I want to stay it that way."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/10/03/andy-johnson-pledges-future-to-fulham-82029-29531903/?#ixzz1ZnQiOZjC

WhiteJC

Andy Johnson, Ramblin' Man

It's no secret Andy Johnson has had a windy time at Fulham: most expensive player; star striker; constantly injured; percevied shadow of former self. But things have been turning around, and more so than in the past 4 days.

Here's Andy Johnson's last six months: 22 appearances, 9 goals, 1 assist

And six months prior to that: 22 appearances, 2 goals, 3 assists.

Are we witnessing a return to past glory (he's finally staying healthy, fingers crossed) or a sudden hot streak (five of his recent goals have come in the past 4 days)? Like with most things, it may just be a change in tactics.

Considering the Guardian's Chalkboards are down, I had to bust out soccernet's heat map. The top is yesterday's romp over QPR, the below chart is that Boxing Day nightmare against West Ham.

He was really all over the place yesterday, huh? That may be a concern for other outfield players, but it's best to have the little guy marauding around, causing turnovers, and drawing penalties. He's clearly more effective being everywhere and yet nowhere  than in one or two hotspots. Sure, he's only been scoring in the past week but most of the heat maps this season show the same result.

The only concern I currently have is wondering what the heck that second goal celebration was all about. I think the QPR fans were right to show their disapproval. Sheesh.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/andy-johnson-ramblin-man/?

WhiteJC

Murphy calls for consistency
Fulham captain not getting carried away with QPR hammering

Murphy: Pleased to see the confidence flowing back into the Cottagers

Danny Murphy has called on Fulham to show the same level of performance in their next Premier League match as they did in the 6-0 demolition against Queens Park Rangers.

Although the skipper was pleased with the derby victory at Craven Cottage on Sunday, he was also realistic in his assessment by calling the win 'only three points'.

And Murphy expects Matin Jol's side to take their form straight into the next game when they travel to struggling Stoke on October 15th.

Overboard

He told the club's official website: "On Sunday it all clicked, but let's not go overboard. They (QPR) had a bad day at the office and I'm sure they'll admit that but we did play some terrific stuff and it's a good foundation to move forward.

"It's only three points at the end of the day. That's seven games and seven points and really we feel like we should have done better than that.

"It's pleasing but we've got to be careful because you can get carried away with a 6-0 win.

"We've got Stoke City away next and that's as tough a place to go as anywhere and you can soon come down to earth with a bump if you think you're better than you are.

"We've got the international break now but we've got to make sure we go there with the same hunger and passion we showed against QPR on Sunday."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7220840,00.html?

WhiteJC

Total Football Fulham style

It was a rout. The Whites dazzled like the unseasonal sunshine. At the seventh time of asking we break our duck, and picked the perfect game to turn it on.

It was a big weekend in more ways than one. London had never experienced October weather like it with temperatures the highest since records began. Great for our Cajun band on the Saturday as we abandoned the hall hired for my landmark birthday and strummed away by the river to the amusement of the strolling public. Family gifted me my Hammy End ticket right behind the goal, but with more than a few Rangers fans among my guests on Saturday, I avoided too much banter on who might be crowing loudest after our local derby.

Believe it or not, I was contemplating a teaser for you all last week on who got Fulham's first hat-trick in the Prem. The answer of course, in our 11 seasons to date we'd never managed one. Not even with King Louis in his prime. And if you'd suggested to fans over the summer Andrew Johnson would be the first man to get it, well, you'd have found few takers.

50% of us quietly hoped the club might get him off the pay-roll (top earner at £50k per week last two seasons) in return for £2 million back on the £10 million paid for his services. Now he's the hero of the hour, and nobody deserves it more after the injury hell AJ's endured, but even when fit, could anybody seriously suggest we'd had a return on our dough for the ex-England international? He was certainly not a guaranteed starter in Jol's early season plans, and the player himself appeared lukewarm to overtures of a one year contract extension. I'm certain Fulham listened to enquiries for AJ in the summer, and until last week I fully expected to see him moved on in January.

That was before Odense away. For whatever reasons (more of this later) Bobby stayed home. Researching the Danes for my preview I felt there was not much to fear in this group match-up. Odense were on a poor run domestically, and in provincial Denmark in front of a small crowd I knew we had far bigger characters in our ranks who could change a game. Jol picked a strong side, Fulham did the business, and Andy scored both goals - the 2nd a real peach.

Building on that momentum, Jol got his selection for QPR bang on. Andy was paired up front in a no-frills 4-4-2 with Big Bob, something the players could all intuitively play to. Let's not forget that Bobby too had scored in our last two home league games, so both front men were in the goals. Dembele running at last with purpose, and getting off the shot that led to our early goal, was a real handful for defenders all afternoon. His close control and ability to dribble round players at times is sublime. Once he learns to offer himself more with runs into space and link the play at speed when Fulham break out, he could become a real menace.

Although more one-paced than Moussa, our Belgian boy has much to learn from the magnificent Texan in midfield. Is he getting taller season on season or is Clint's integral impact on games now so immense it just seems like he's morphed into a colossus? Both were brilliant yesterday in supporting the front two, with Deuce feeding Bobby for number 6 while topping off the move of the match for number five himself. Rangers were shredded on the break, a terrific pass out of his own half by Brede putting AJ away on the left. Pace took him past one man, his cross back-heeled by Bobby at the near post and Clint arrived like a train to pick his spot from 10 yards. Fabulous goal! I was 20 yards away from it in Row I and for me the move summed up our overall performance and the tremendous potential now in this side

If all you've seen of the game to date are brief highlights, let me tell you, it could easily have been 10-4. Clint shot straight at the full-back on the line with the whole goal to aim at, AJ and Bobby missed by inches, and Ruiz fired just wide of the far post at the death after a brief cameo that at last showed glimpses of his potential. To be fair to Rangers they came to try and match us at the passing game. What they lacked was the skill to get at us down the flanks - Grygera again very solid - no big target man up front (Bothroyd subbed) and no defensive pairing to match the calibre of Hangeland and Baird. Both made crucial interventions around our own box before Danny's pen put us two up. We writers do tend to bang on about strikers, but let's not overlook this was our 4th game in all competitions returning a clean sheet.
As with his decision to go 4-4-2, Jol has now got around to recognising Baird's worth. I'm pleased to see Jol open to change, and with an international break to savour the implications of this result, we can hopefully start posting the points our potential suggests. I think you can safely assume the AJ-BZ twinning - the one Roy anticipated such a return from - will be in place through the autumn. If AJ really has discovered a new lease of life, three years on, we fans could be in for some really exciting football in the weeks to come.
Despite the heat and the White's game Thursday in Odense, it was Rangers looking demoralised at the end, with Kenny happy to time waste rather than risk conceding more goals.

So we finally get to salute our first hat-trick hero in the EPL. All three typical poacher's goals, a thing Andy used to do by instinct. If his mojo really is back, and he and Bobby get on the same wavelength (they are clearly best mates), the rest of the league had better watch out. As for team spirit, when Andy's quick thinking saw him latch onto Danny's cute free-kick for the hat-trick goal all nine outfield players roared over to the little man as one to join in the back-slapping.

Now to Bobby Z, called up again for England duty. You can't argue with that. What happened before the plane left for Denmark? Maybe Bob asked if he'd be kept back among the subs, as he was at the Bridge. And maybe, with two wee babbies in the house, Bobby might politely have enquired if he could be spared to stay in London? It's conjecture, but possible. Damien Duff, also married just a year ago, might have backed up Bobby with a similar request recently? We will never know. But where the 'People' found their story that 'Zamora seeks out in January after Jol bust up,' I cannot imagine. Pure fantasy. I could not believe some idiotic postings elsewhere that Bobby 'did not show up Sunday till late on.' He was in the thick of it from the off, feints, flicks and headers setting up chances for Dembele, AJ and Clint. He had two assists, finished powerfully for his goal, and brilliantly created the opening for Dempsey to bury. Bobbie was at his best, playing with a smile, and playing for the team...and the gaffer.

Stoke next up away will be interesting, for they surely will mix it up far more than QPR. At which point I must do the unthinkable, and praise Joey Barton. Despite being absolutely thumped he was not guilty of a single bad challenge or moment of petulance. The game in fact was played in a good spirit and from my vantage point I noted a fair bit of banter between 'us' and 'them' at corners and throw ins - SWP even responding to crowd taunts with a quip.

You may choose not to believe it, but after the Europa game I had a gut feeling someone was about to really cop it from us. I think Jol sensed the same. I stayed my hand from typing it last week, not wishing to jinx the day. But in this season of big results we've finally got one of our own. We've tonked both Norwich and WBA with six in the past, though I did not see either game. Sunday was my first 'sixer' since Darlington at Christmas 1996, so that's how rarely such results come along. Rangers were not actually that poor. Their patchwork quilt of a new side however was ruthlessly unpicked on the day by Fulham's slick play, and Warnock acknowledged the fact. The chairman must also have had an inkling, choosing to parade across the ground before kick-off.

One final element to what was a red letter day all round. The Fulham Badgers and the QPR Tiger Cubs partook of the interval penalty shoot-out. These kids have charity status and are supported by the two clubs. They all had the kit colours, and they were all up for it. Oh yes, they also had Downs Syndrome. What they all got Sunday was the unforgettable experience of bearing down on the Hammy End to have a pop at goal. It ended 4-4. They punched the air and ran the length of the Johnny Haynes Stand to a standing ovation. I bet there were some pretty proud parents in there. You can't bottle an experience like that. Bravo the two clubs for setting it up. Now there's a video clip I'd like to send someone...Carlos Tevez perhaps?
Enjoy the international break, and here's to more points at Stoke and off the Toffees!

WE ARE FULHAM! The Pride of West London
Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/10/total_football_fulham_style.php?

WhiteJC

HOTSHOT AJ AFTER FUL STOP

RED-HOT Andy Johnson insists he wants to stay at Fulham despite turning down a new contract.

Johnson is a free agent next summer when his deal expires and has turned down a new two-year offer.

But the former England striker, 30, committed his future to the club after scoring his first Premier League hat-trick in the 6-0 rout of QPR.

"I hope something can be sorted out soon. We have been talking for some time," he said.

"I don't think it is in question I want to stay at the club. I go on the pitch and work my heart out.

"I'm a Fulham player and I want to stay that way."

Johnson now has five goals in two games after scoring a brace against Odense in the Europa League last week.

But his strikes on Sunday were his first top-flight goals since April.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/214219/Hotshot-AJ-after-Ful-stop/?

WhiteJC

ANDREW JOHNSON WANTS NEW FULHAM CONTRACT

ANDREW JOHNSON wants a new Fulham contract after his hat-trick in the 6-0 demolition of QPR.
"I hope something can be sorted out soon," he said.

"I have said I want to stay."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/275432/Andrew-Johnson-wants-new-Fulham-contract?

WhiteJC

INJURY DENIES HUGHES SWANSONG

Aaron Hughes has been denied an international swansong after a groin injury forced the retiring Northern Ireland captain out of his side's final Euro 2012 qualifiers against Estonia and Italy.

Hughes announced his decision to call time on his international career last month but was hoping to lead his country out for a final time at Windsor Park on Friday before a high-profile final appearance against the Azzurri four days later.

But the 31-year-old was forced off after 20 minutes of Fulham's Barclays Premier League match against Blackburn on September 11 and has not played since.

The former Newcastle and Aston Villa centre-half finishes with 79 caps, having made his debut in 1998, scoring his only goal in the 4-0 defeat of the Faroe Islands in August.

Hughes will now hope to extend his top-flight career for as long as possible under Cottagers boss Martin Jol, while Northern Ireland face up to their latest batch of injuries.

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans, who has been a regular at left-back under current manager Nigel Worthington, is the obvious replacement for Hughes in the middle but he could also miss the next two matches with an ankle injury.

He played the full 90 minutes for United in their win over Norwich at the weekend, but is rated as doubtful for the final qualifiers of what has turned into a disappointing campaign for Worthington's men.

Blackpool's Craig Cathcart is the next likeliest candidate to partner Gareth McAuley in the centre, creating a possible vacancy at right-back and uncapped Preston full-back Conor McLaughlin has been added to the squad as a result.

Under-pressure boss Worthington, whose contract is up at the end of the current campaign, is also struggling for options in attack, with Millwall's Josh McQuoid (virus) and Derby's Jamie Ward (hamstring) also pulling out of the original 23-man party.

Highly-rated Rams forward Ward made his debut as a late substitute in the win over the Faroes but has now withdrawn from the last two squads through injury.

Worthington must also choose someone to take the armband in Hughes' absence, with the likes of McAuley and Chris Baird among the candidates.

Rangers skipper Steven Davis is likely to be the favourite, though, as he is a good long-term bet for the job and could be handed the role for the Estonia clash in recognition of his 50th cap.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/10/04/SOCCER_N_Ireland_Hughes.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

Boss faces dressing-room backlash over player fine

THE SUN: Martin Jol has fined one of his Fulham players £500 for missing a penalty. But the Craven Cottage boss is now facing a dressing-room backlash. Also: Roman Abramovich is set to turn his back on 106 years of history and move Chelsea away from Stamford Bridge.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/boss_faces_dressing_room_backlash_over_player_fine_1_3835092

WhiteJC

Fulham players furious after manager fines Kasami for missing a penalty

London, Oct 4 : Fulham boss Martin Jol, who has fined one of his players 500 pound for missing a penalty, is now facing a dressing-room backlash.

Several senior stars are furious after Jol rapped rookie Pajtim Kasami.

The Swiss midfielder, 19, was penalised for taking a spot-kick in Fulham's Carling Cup defeat at Chelsea on September 21 because Orlando Sa was the designated taker.

Jol has upset his squad by implementing a tough new disciplinary regime with wide-ranging financial punishments for lateness and backchat, The Sun reports

"Kasami wouldn't have been fined if he'd scored it. Some of the new rules are strange to say the least. He is a young kid. He was only trying to do his best for the team and he's ended up being fined 500 quid for it," A club source said.

Kasami''s penalty hit the bar and Chelsea went on to win 4-3 in a shootout after a goalless draw.
--ANI

http://www.newkerala.com/news/2011/worldnews-80956.html?

WhiteJC

The Sun creating a rift at Fulham

'Fulham fury after Martin Jol fines Pajtim Kasami for missing a penalty' screams a headline in The Sun. Eye-catching certainly, because that doesn't sound like Martin Jol – and it doesn't sound very reasonable.

'MARTIN JOL has fined one of his Fulham players £500 for missing a penalty. But the Craven Cottage boss is now facing a dressing-room backlash. Several senior stars are furious after Jol rapped rookie Pajtim Kasami.'

This refers to Kasami's miss during the Carling Cup defeat at Chelsea.

So why would Jol do something as potentially damaging as that to a 19-year-old player? Oh hold on, he didn't...

'The Swiss midfielder, 19, was penalised for taking a spot-kick in Fulham's Carling Cup defeat at Chelsea on September 21 — because Orlando Sa was the designated taker.'

So actually, the player has really been fined for disobeying an instruction from his manager – that's a little bit different isn't it? So the headline and main body of the story are actually just the product of a willful misinterpretation of what actually happened.

Our old friend, the club 'insider' also chipped in:

"Kasami wouldn't have been fined if he'd scored it. Some of the new rules are strange to say the least. He is a young kid. He was only trying to do his best for the team and he's ended up being fined 500 quid for it."

Except that's a quote that has just been fabricated isn't it?

So in summary – The Sun have twisted a series of events into something more interesting, framed it with a misleading headline, and supported it with a false quote.

Top, top journalism.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/2011/10/04/the-sun-creating-a-rift-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Tactic Talk: Clinical finishing key as Fulham record huge win

Martin Jol's Fulham secured an emphatic 6-0 win over West London rivals Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage, with Andrew Johnson among the goals with a hat-trick as Fulham climbed to 12th in the Premier League table. While the six-goal cushion suggests a resounding defeat for Neil Warnock's side, statistics would suggest that one side's ability to convert chances was key to their success.

With both sides producing comparable performances in terms of quality of possession, the vital difference between the two sides came in the hosts' incisive play in the final third, producing a devastating attacking display. With three goals in each half, Fulham's offensive players showed a consistency and a confidence in front of goal that on this occasion, certainly set them apart from their local rivals.

After Johnson opened the scoring inside two minutes, Rangers looked to steady themselves, aiming to pass the ball in the style which had seen them secure promotion last season. During this local derby, both sides looked to move the ball with a similar consistency and fluidity, with Fulham completing 81% of passes to Rangers' 82%, with the visitors slightly edging possession by two per cent and territory by three per cent, according to statistics producers Opta.

However, despite not being dominated in possession, QPR found themselves three down at the break, having registered just a single shot on target in the first-half, while Fulham captain Danny Murphy scored from the penalty spot and Johnson doubled his tally for the Cottagers before the interval.

As the second-half began, Rangers looked to reduce the deficit. Throughout the second period, the visitors created 13 chances (four on target) to the hosts' 10. However, Fulham continued to find the net, scoring three goals from five attempts on target with Johnson completing his treble just before the hour mark, followed by goals from Clint Dempsey six minutes later and Bobby Zamora on 74 minutes to seal the win for a jubilant home crowd.

While it would appear difficult to argue that Fulham were not good value for their victory, despite the relatively small consolation, Rangers' boss Warnock may take some small comfort in his team's display in possession. However, in a new league against stronger defences and in a division famed for fast-paced, attacking play, his side will face stronger challenges from their opponents. On this occasion, they encountered a Fulham side whose attacking players certainly hit a strong run of form together. Despite matching and at times bettering the hosts in possession and looking to create in front of goal, the most significant statistic of all was the one that, as always, decides matches, as Fulham showed a clinical edge in front of goal that saw them collect three famous points at Craven Cottage.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_10086_tactic-talk-clinical-finishing-key-as-fulham-record-huge-win.html?