Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (08.10.11)

Started by White Noise, October 08, 2011, 06:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

QPR targeting unsettled Fulham strikers Johnson and Zamora

By Sami Mokbel

Last updated at 11:34 PM on 7th October 2011

Queens Park Rangers want to take advantage of the growing discontent at bitter-rivals Fulham by plotting moves for their top strikers.

The Loftus Road club are set to launch a cut-price £1million bid to sign Andy Johnson in January, while they are keeping a close eye on the feud between Bobby Zamora and manager Martin Jol.

Targets: Andrew Johnson, right, and Bobby Zamora

Johnson and Zamora - who both scored in Fulham's 6-0 demolition of QPR last Sunday - do not see eye-to-eye with their Dutch manager.

Johnson, 30, is stalling on a new contract at Craven Cottage, rejecting the offer of a new 12 month deal because he wants at least two years.

Talks over a new deal are on-going but it is understood both parties are no closer to an agreement which leaves Fulham with a decision to make in January.

Johnson's current deal expires at the end of the season and Jol may look to sell him in the next transfer window rather than lose him nor nothing next summer if they can't agree an extension.

QPR manager Neil Warnock tried to sign Johnson in the previous transfer window but the former England striker's £40,000-per-week wages proved a key stumbling block.

But after Tony Fernandes and Amit Bhatia's takeover, QPR now have the financial clout to meet Johnson's wage demands and would be willing to offer him the two year deal he craves.

Fall out: Fulham manager Martin Jol

Meanwhile, Warnock has been alerted to the growing tension between Jol and Zamora and will make a move for the England striker if the pair fail to settle their differences.

The duo were involved in a furious training ground row last week putting Zamora's long-term future at the club into doubt.

Jol wants to hold clear-the-air talks with Zamora when the striker returns from international duty next week.

Nevertheless, Zamora is giving serious consideration to leaving Craven Cottage when the transfer window reopens after his relationship with the Dutch manager turned sour.

Zamora's advisors are already looking into the prospect of moving the 30-year-old this winter in case the duo fail to patch up their differences.

And Warnock is ready to pounce for Zamora in January if there is no reconciliation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2046577/QPR-targeting-unsettled-Fulham-strikers-Johnson-Zamora.html#ixzz1aAEtB7Dw

White Noise

Chelsea-loving Sparky would love a crack at AVB's job

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 6:46 PM on 7th October 2011

Mark Hughes admits he would one day love to be Chelsea manager.

Hughes scored 39 goals in 123 appearances for the Blues in the 1990s and also helped the club win the FA Cup, Cup Winners' Cup and League Cup.

Biding his time: Mark Hughes is waiting for the right job to come along

The 46-year-old then embarked on a career in management that has seen him take charge of Wales, Blackburn, Manchester City and most recently Fulham.

Hughes left Craven Cottage last year after turning down a contract extension, and while there is little chance of him deposing the highly-rated current Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas soon, the Welshman would like to manage the Stamford Bridge club one day.

'It would be very nice,' Hughes said. 'Chelsea is the club I have a very special affinity for. Obviously I had a fantastic time here as a player.

'As a manager you want to test yourself at the very top, so if in the future if it's ever possible for me to work here then I would be absolutely delighted to because it's an outstanding club.'

Hughes sparked dismay among most Fulham fans after walking out on the club after just one year in charge.

He spent little over a year at City before being replaced by Roberto Mancini and Hughes admits he is now focused on finding a club where he feels he can remain in charge for a long time.

'I had my reasons for leaving my last post and I just hope that I get an opportunity to get a job in which I can show a bit of longevity because that's what I'm looking for,' Hughes added.

Good times: Mark Hughes in his playing days at Chelsea

The Chelsea hierarchy have come under fire this week for the plans they unveiled which may see the club leave Stamford Bridge.

Some Blues fans have reacted angrily to the club's offer to buy the shares owned by the Chelsea Pitch Owners group, who bought shares in Stamford Bridge to protect the ground from being sold off to property investors in the 1990s.

Sadly missed: ex-Chelsea player Reg Williams

The club insist that they have not yet decided if they will move or not, claiming they merely want to own the entire ground so they could relocate if a suitable plan to move locally becomes available.

Hughes, speaking at the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge this week, gave his tentative backing to the scheme, saying: 'Football is a big business. I think every business and football club has to have contingency plans and they have to have an understanding of what may happen in the future, from what I gather that's what is being investigated.'

Meanwhile, Chelsea today announced that former player Reg Williams has died at the age of 89.

In an injury-afflicted career, Williams played 74 games over six seasons for Chelsea just after the Second World War.

He was thought to be the last remaining player of the Chelsea team who drew 3-3 with Dynamo Moscow at Stamford Bridge in the first game to be played at the stadium since the end of the war.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2046574/Mark-Hughes-admits-desire-Chelsea-manager.html#ixzz1aAGEA8aB

White Noise

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/fb_news.php?storyid=14318

LFW Awaydays – Fulham, Craven Cottage

Fri 07th Oct 2011 22:51 by Awaydays

Fun in the sun for the LoftforWords travelling crew at Fulham last Sunday, despite the result which we'll try and gloss over a bit as Colin Speller takes up the Awayday Reporting duties.

On The Pitch

Dear God, where to begin? The worst defeat for more than ten years against a local rival that we haven't played for much of that time. QPR were one down in 78 seconds, could have been five down at half time and one way and another got off lightly by only conceding six. 'Lucky to get nil' is the good old cliché that springs to mind.

Whether QPR are really as bad as the score suggests, or Fulham as good, only time will tell. There is a theory within the LFW ranks that we are only ever three weeks away from a PR disaster and having diced with one around the Barton v Henry bout following the Wolverhampton win, in the aftermath of this game there were rumours of Adel Taarabt storming out of Craven Cottage at half time as well as stories of tensions in the camp generally. These stories were subsequently dismissed by Warnock and treated similarly by Shaun Derry in a Monday evening tweet.

If Adel's exit was as claimed, then the dramatic effect was much undermined by him allegedly being found sitting at a bus stop and/or loitering in a pub. I used to work for the government and his actions reminded me of story in the in-house magazine about a bloke who decided that the promotion interview he was in was going nowhere, so he called it to a halt, told the members of the panel he was wasting his time and theirs, stood up and with his nose in the air swept out through the nearest door. Two minutes later he was back in front of them having discovered that rather than leaving the room he had walked into a closet. Anyway, Adel, next time call a cab, call a mate – or stay put!

For the record, Johnson got a hat-trick, Murphy despatched a penalty crafted out of nothing for him by Hall and Kenny forgetting that Johnson is quick and there were embarrassingly simple goals for Dempsey and Zamora. In summary, one of the worst performances for years in front of a big, noisy and expectant QPR away following that was then followed by twelve days to stew about it before we see the team again. Give all the circumstances, why did we ever believe in all the 1-1 draw predictions?

Scores >>> QPR performance 1/10 >>> Opposition performance 8/10 >>> Referee performance 7/10

In the Stand

Craven Cottage's riverside location is well-known and it is delightfully idiosyncratic with the cottage in one corner and the managers, coaching staff, substitutes and other hangers-on forced to walk across the pitch at the start and end of each half. Our approach from Putney via the bridge was a pleasant walk in blazing sunshine at the height of summer's 'let's take the piss by reminding them of what they missed this year' brief return at the threshold of September and October.

QPR fans respond to a cry of 'where are the likely gaps in our defence?'

The away end is of straightforward construction with a reasonable view and decent legroom, although I would not have wanted to be in my seat on a wet day. Stewarding was discreet and calm and the message boards have been generally complimentary about it. There was a fair police presence outside and I didn't see any trouble. Indeed, there were probably more groups of people supporting both sides walking together to and from the ground than I've seen in any other game, just underlining the closeness of this local derby.

In the build-up to the game, and the aftermath, much was made of the library-like nature of the atmosphere and the indifferent nature of Fulham's support. The 'neutral area' has come in for much criticism and someone has been on the Fulham website and dug up a list of hints and tips for people attending a football match who are unfamiliar with what goes on. Whilst the comic value of this is obvious it all starts to seem a little hollow after a 6-0 thrashing.

Indeed, it also suggests memories of less than 15 years in length. May I take you back to the early nineties? QPR had been in the top division since 1983, and whilst it's true to say that the Premier League hype had yet to bite, I think it's also fair to say that there was a large degree of indifference around Loftus Road in those days. Just go and look at the crowds – 11,000 for an April fixture against Arsenal in 1994. The ground was usually full for most derbies and Manure but for many of those games, Manure in particular, the home stands were packed out with away fans who bought a £10 QPR membership each year just to get tickets to see their team play. In 1996, when Cantona scored the Man Utd equaliser whilst the then Third Division results were being read out on Sports Report, the part of the South Africa Road stand that I was sitting in was alive with whooping and yelling Manure pillocks. And, correct me if I'm wrong but have we yet sold out the home areas of Loftus Road this season?

So, Fulham's fan-base is blasé about another Premier League game? Well, let's see what we are like if we are fortunate to remain here for as long as they have. So, their business model includes attracting football tourists and relieving them of £49 to sit in a so-called 'neutral area'? Well, hats off to them, I say – Mr Al Fayed has to find some way to defray the alleged £200 million investment he has made (thus far) to get them into the Premier League and keep them there and I'm sure the lesson won't be lost on our owners.

On the other hand, QPR fans have lived through all the pain of the last fifteen years during which time clashes with top-flight London opposition have been limited to cup games against Wimbledon, Chelsea (twice) and Arsenal, the latter ironically having produced the last 0-6 score-line. In spite of the £49 price (plus booking fee), QPR fans turned up in large numbers (3,000 plus) to fill the away section, considerable parts of the neutral area and some of the home areas as well. The QPR support was noisy throughout and 90% of it stayed until the end. Song of the day was 'We're 6-0 down, who gives a f**k, we're QPR and we're staying up!' All in all the support was fantastic and at the opposite end of the spectrum from the performance of the team.

The Fulham support appeared largely silent but in conversation with Fulham supporters after the game they claimed that the home end was very noisy at times, but they could not hear the QPR support very much. This was neutral opinion, by the way, not bravado and it rather confirmed my view that the open arena allows the noise to dissipate very quickly.

It's difficult to feel positive about a stadium after an experience like that, but I've been to worse places.

Scores >>> QPR support 9/10 >>> Home support 4/10 >>> Overall atmosphere 4/10 >>>> Stadium 5/10 >>>> Police and stewards 7/10

In the Pub

Given the trials and tribulations of QPR in recent years, we have often speculated on what we would do if – God forbid – the club folded. One serious option would be to continue to meet on Saturdays in a variety of locations where we would seek out a pub with tv football, beer in glasses, decent food and a decent atmosphere. We would watch the lunchtime game, Sky's Soccer Special and the early evening game before staggering home. After 76 minutes of the game at Fulham and 6-0 down this seemed to be an even better option for a weekend day out especially as, in the Fox and Hounds in Putney, we had found a rather good watering hole.

Not only was there tv football, the beer was in glasses, there was food and it all seemed ridiculously cheap – more like Wolverhampton prices than London. Deal of the day was a hearty all-day breakfast including a pint for £5.45! It even had a beer garden, well ok a Beer Yard, that included a wide-screen tv on the wall. Clive and Tracey have often speculated about running a pub together and this would get pretty close to their ideal set-up.

We enjoyed the usual good craic and were even joined by some Fulham-supporting mates of Tracey's who seemed decent sorts. As I've said before in these pages, this was not the first time the foundations of a good piss-up have been spoilt by leaving to watch QPR get thumped.

In the excellent Beer Garden with tv Andy tries to look nonchalant as two Fulham fans take his advice to go onto Betfair and put their life savings on a 2-2 draw, betting against some – ahem- random guy.

After the game we slouched back to the same venue to drown our sorrows and I bought four drinks for a price that made me wish I'd funded the whole pre- and post-game session on the basis of everyone else buying the drinks for several weeks to come. The two Fulham lads were also back there, all calm and laid-back about it as if they won 6-0 every week. This was a genuinely enjoyable pub and we've even considered it for a pre-home game session on the basis that the savings in the drink bill would allow the luxury of a taxi ride to HQ.

Scores >>> Pub 8/10 >>> Atmosphere 7/10 >>> Food 6/10 >>>> Cost 8/10

On the Road

What? Stories of getting to Fulham?? Well, hold on a minute – for some of us every trip to a game involves a fair amount of travel. There have been many occasions in the past when a home game has involved the LFW team arriving from places as far afield as Sheffield, South Cambridgeshire, Oxford, Staines, London and France. These days the Sheffield branch has migrated south, so on match day the real travelling was done by the Spellers, junior from New York via Oxford and me from home near Royston, Herts.

I love Cambridge train travellers and they love their non-stop service to Kings Cross. They like to sit down, place their bag on the seat next to them and defy anyone who dares to consider asking to sit down in that spot. They also demand library-like silence and are capable of world-class hurrumphing at the slightest interruption to the service or decline in the travelling conditions. They are particularly pained when their non-stop service loses said status and is forced to call at Royston, mostly because it often involves their bags having to give up their seats and, God forbid, some of the interlopers talking to each other. With all that in mind, it is always a glorious day when there is a bus replacement service between Cambridge and Royston and they arrive sweating and grumbling at Royston to find the best seats already taken by non-Cambridge people and their own bags.

Can I digress here for a minute? Site stats suggest you are most likely to be reading this at work so I'm sure you won't complain if I do. A trip for me to Loftus Road involves three bits of research at least – the First 'Crap-it-all' Connect website to see if they plan to dig up the line at any point, TFL to make sure the Hammersmith & City isn't running again and the BBC weather site to estimate whether the average two degrees Celsius higher temperature in London will move me into a different clothing zone (e.g. an upgrade to 'no coat' or even 'shorts'). With all the information available on t'interweb, getting caught on a rail replacement bus service is a schoolboy error. Despite that, I've made it twice in the last few years and regretted it seriously on both occasions.

A season or two back I was coming home from a night game and got kicked off at Stevenage onto a bus. It was empty, so I sat near the back. First on were two black lads who then took to whistling and catcalling at the pubescent (and mostly pre-pubescent), scantily-clad girls who were milling about outside the station, and being quite explicit as to what they would like to do with them. During a lull in their calling three shaven-haired, rather tough-looking lads got on and sat behind me, one of whom was sporting a bloodied face having apparently tripped and fallen down the stairs on the way to the bus. All three were wildly drunk and very loud. The black lads started calling out obscene suggestions again and this caused one of the lads behind to stagger down the bus and sit opposite them trying to attract their attention whilst attempting to pull something out of his coat pocket. Having succeeded with both he then tried to maintain the guys' attention whilst fumbling to open whatever it was he had got out. My heart sank. This was, to my fertile imagination, the opening gambit of a racist skinhead who was up for a fight. And, if it all kicked off, the trouble would be very much between me and the exit, thus blocking my escape...

Anyway, after what seemed like an eternity the guy finally got whatever it was sorted out and waved it under the guys' noses. It was a warrant card. He went on to explain that he and his mates were off-duty coppers out on the piss, they didn't want any trouble, but the obscene suggestions were unreasonable and if they didn't stop he would be forced to call his on-duty colleagues onto the bus. The two guys agreed to behave and the copper finally got his warrant card back into his pocket at the fifth attempt and returned to the back of the bus, falling over only twice. For the rest of the journey home I was entertained to a deconstruction of the police budgets in Cambridgeshire and their effect on policing on the ground.

For the Newcastle game this season I repeated the error and was turfed off the train and onto a bus at Hitchin. I was reading intently and not paying attention (I did not need to as the bus was due to terminate at Royston) when I suddenly realised we were in Baldock, facing the wrong way with a scene developing at the front of the bus between the driver and some of the few passengers on board. To cut a long story short, it turned out that the main A505 between Baldock and Royston was shut and the driver did not know an alternative route. The passengers at the front, clearly with ambitions to move to Cambridge at some point, were complaining loudly without being able to offer any solutions. The situation was resolved by yours truly taking command and, to the driver's clear discomfort, guiding him through the country lanes and villages of South Cambridgeshire to Royston. I climbed into bed at 1 am that night. As I said, a schoolboy error and I'm hoping that I won't make it again.

Anyway, the replacement bus was to the north of me on Sunday so I delighted in a non-stop Kings Cross service both ways. The journey was completed by Underground to Waterloo and the dreaded SW Trains to Putney. I arrived early in the pub and, after catching the 6.32 from Putney was home by eight. All very smooth – the only entertainment was 'Contraceptive Boy' who kept up a non-stop interrogation of his unfortunate mother from Waterloo to where I left them to it at Putney, built solidly on repeating the question 'why?' It was enough to encourage celibacy, or a permanent form of contraception, in even the most hormonally-charged couple. The man opposite me was groaning audibly with frustration by the time we got to Vauxhall and was clearly contemplating suicide by the time we pulled out of Clapham Junction. What was most amusing was that it was clear from the look on his face that he knew that if he had said anything in protest to the mother, the child would have simply said 'why?'

Which, funnily enough, was what most people have said to me when I've said that all in all, despite the score-line, I really enjoyed my trip to watch QPR at Fulham.

Scores >>> Journey 8/10 >>> Cost 4/10

Total 86/140

Tweet @CSSpeller, @loftforwords

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/zamora-on-bench-for-england/

Zamora on bench for England

by Dan on October 7, 2011

Despite plenty of rumours suggesting that Bobby Zamora would start England's crucial Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro tonight, the Fulham striker has had to settle for a place on the bench.

Fabio Capello has chosen the Aston Villa striker Darren Bent as Wayne Rooney's partner for the Podgorica tie. England need a point from their final group game to ensure automatic qualification for next year's European Championship finals in Poland and Ukraine. The England coach does hand a debut to Phil Jones, albeit in the unfamiliar right-back position, while Gareth Barry and Scott Parker are retained in central midfield. Scott Carson is preferred to David Stockdale as back-up for Joe Hart.

ENGLAND: Hart; Jones, A. Cole, Terry, Cahill; Parker, Barry, Walcott, Young; Bent, Rooney. Subs: Carson, Jagielka, Baines, Lampard, Downing, Welbeck, Zamora.

White Noise

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/murphy_s_law_zamora_aj_and_dempsey_is_a_dangerous_combo_for_fulham_1_1083204

Murphy's Law: Zamora AJ and Dempsey is a dangerous combo for Fulham

Paul Murphy, London24 Fulham blogger

Friday, October 7, 2011

4:09 PM

"We know that Zamora and AJ link up well and, along with Clint Dempsey, now look like scoring every time they enter the final third"

Now that is just what the doctor ordered. After the goalless draw at the Hawthorns, it was beginning to look like Fulham would never get a win.

Then in the space of four days Fulham discovered the winning touch, and discovered it in style.

First up Fulham travelled to Denmark, to face Odense. It was a hard-fought game in Denmark's second city but with the travelling support in good form (fuelled by Ryan's bar deals) Fulham came home with a 2-0 win, with Andy Johnson scoring both.

Next up Fulham would face West London rivals QPR, for the first time in a decade, at Craven Cottage.

After grapping eight points from their opening six games you could really sense the optimism from the Rangers fans on the walk to the ground and with Joey Barton and SWP in their ranks they had enough quality to take Fulham apart. How wrong they were.

Fulham came out of the traps all guns blazing and with little over a minute on the clock, that man Johnson and given Fulham the lead.

AJ would go on to complete his hat-trick as Fulham humiliated their west London opponents and hit them for six.

The first win was along time coming but it was worth the wait and QPR must now realise why this is the best league in the world, and what is required to stay in it for over a decade.

I, along with others have been critical of AJ in the past, but now he is adding goals to his hard work, Martin Jol needs to sort out his contract, or face losing him.

We know that Zamora and AJ link up well and, along with Clint Dempsey, now look like scoring every time they enter the final third. Fulham also have, an ever improving Mousa Demble who is willing to run at defenders and open up space.

With the good form of these players Bryan Ruiz will be able to find his feet without the added pressure of everyone just looking at him for goals.

It a shame the international break came when it did, but well done to Bobby for making the squad. I think the confidence will still be there when the players get back together next week and the season can now really begin.

Also in my opinion any player who misses a tackle let alone a penalty against Chelsea should be fined......

White Noise

Dempsey's World Cup Target

Friday 7th October 2011

Having earned more than 70 international caps for the USA and competed at two World Cups in Germany and South Africa, Clint Dempsey is now targeting the 2014 Finals in Brazil. 

"I want to play in another World Cup and I'm looking forward to Brazil," said Dempsey. "Hopefully we can qualify for it. We want to make the most of our careers and play in as many competitions as possible.

"That's the way I look at it and it's my main goal right now. I will assess things after that World Cup as to whether I'll continue my [international] career or not."

Dempsey has teamed up with the US team this week ahead of two international friendly matches against Honduras on Saturday at the Sun Life Stadium in Miami, before Tuesday's match against Ecuador at the Red Bull Arena in New York.

"We have a game in Miami and another one in New York so this will be the first time that I am playing with the US team under Klinsmann in the States," said Dempsey. 

"I'm looking forward to going back and getting with the guys and trying to get our first win (under Jürgen Klinsmann) because we haven't had it yet."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/DempseysWorldCupTarget.aspx#ixzz1aAKF7IOQ

White Noise

Fulham On Sky

Friday 7th October 2011

The Club can confirm that the following Barclays Premier League matches have been selected by Sky Sports for live broadcast over the festive period:

Fulham v Liverpool
New fixture date: Monday 5th December (KO 8pm)

Previous fixture date: Saturday 3rd December (KO 3pm)

Live on Sky Sports

Fulham v Arsenal
Fixture date: Monday 2nd January (KO 5.30pm)

This fixture was previously scheduled to kick-off at 3pm on January 2nd.

Live on Sky Sports

Ticket information for both matches will be published on fulhamfc.com in due course.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/SkySelection.aspx#ixzz1aAKiah6k

White Noise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

Andy Johnson on goals goals goals 6th Oct 2011

Thu, 6 Oct 11

Duration:13 mins

Available:29 days remaining

Andy Johnson on those goals against Odense BK and Queens Park Rangers. Plus the thoughts of Dickson Etuhu, and manager Martin Jol.

White Noise

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/10/premiership/arsenal/is-your-club-in-the-premierships-top-10-rich-list

Is Your Club In The Premiership's Top 10 Rich List?

Date: 7th October 2011 at 5:28 pm

Author: Sam Tighe

Here is a list, compiled using Forbes Rich List and The Times newspaper of the top 10 richest Premier League club owners. There's a new top dog and some surprising revelations.

#1. Queens Park Rangers [Net Worth of est. £32bn]
After the recent Tony Fernandes takeover the board issues for the Rangers have vanished. Neil Warnock was given money to spend on transfer deadline day and will expect the same in January. Hopefully QPR can recruit a goalscorer and some defensive reinforcements to secure their status as a Barclay's Premier League club.

#2. Manchester City [Net Worth of est. £22.8bn]
Despite losing their #1 spot as richest club in the Premier League, Manchester City are still by far the most upwardly mobile club in world football. The money will continue to pour in and the team will improve, expand and dominate.

#3. Chelsea [Net Worth of est. £13.4bn]
Roman Abramovich's riches are old news now but he continues to be as reliable as ever in regards to financial support and knee-jerk managerial firings. This summer Chelsea spent big again, landing at least 2 signings in excess of £15m and several more who weren't cheap. Abramovich is keeping Chelsea neck and neck with the huge spenders.

#4. Arsenal [Net Worth of est. £12.42bn]
Arsenal are the fourth richest club in the Premier League but you wouldn't have guessed it on face value. The financial backing is mostly thanks to Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov who is worth over £10bn himself. Arsene Wenger really should use some of these heaps of money to get his side back on track!

#5. Tottenham [Net Worth of est. £3bn]
Perhaps a surprise to see Spurs so high but they do splash the cash and often run with a high wage bill. Spurs fans will hope to see the money being pumped into the club maintain its current level if they are to re-launch themselves into the Champions League.

#6. Liverpool [Net Worth of est. £2.2bn]
John Henry has come in and seemingly rescued Liverpool from obscurity. A rich and successful club that was faltering has now been rejuvenated with big sums of cash and a classy influx of players. Signing Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll for for over £50m combined is a good way to endear yourselves with the fans right from the word go.

#7. Manchester United [Net Worth of est. £1.5bn]
Surprising to see United low on the list? Possibly, at the rate they spend, but it's a fact the club has some debts to deal with and it's run more like a business than a football club. The income they receive is generated from a huge array of sources and the fact that the owners aren't worth as much as some simply doesn't matter.

#8. Sunderland [Net Worth of est. £1.3bn]
Ellis Short has been a success story for Sunderland so far and his financial support for manager Steve Bruce cannot be questioned. While the teams on field results may not reflect the money that is being put in, if Ellis Short continues to back the club just as well in his new chairman position, Sunderland will see increased success sooner rather than later.

#9. Fulham [Net Worth of est. £1.25bn]
Another club you might be surprised at. Fulham don't spend like their backed by over £1bn but credit to Mohamed Al-Fayed for running the club in a stable and safe model. It is now clear how Fulham managed to pull of a quick, late coup for £10m man Bryan Ruiz on transfer deadline day. The Michael Jackson statue clearly didn't set him back too much!

#10. Newcastle [Net Worth of est. £1.2bn]
The last addition to the list is yet another club who doesn't go absolutely crazy in the transfer market. The owner, Mike Ashley, has become an unpopular figure with Newcastle fans in the past but at the moment, enjoying their best start to a Premier League campaign for a considerable amount of time, those grudges have been forgotten.

White Noise

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/10/08/284411_local_sports.html

Adrian Leijer Leading the way at Victory

Michael Auciello   |  October 8th, 2011

ADRIAN Leijer has never been a stranger to leadership.

Not in under-age football. Not in England. Not at Melbourne Victory.

Coming through the ranks of junior football, the natural path always led him to those roles.

When he arrived at Fulham in 2007, he was elevated to the captaincy of the reserves team within three months.

Clearly, all these things don't happen by accident. Certainly not that quickly.

It takes a particular type of character and personality to continually attract those jobs. When it comes naturally to you, it's obvious to everyone.

Now, on the eve of certainly the most-anticipated A-League season, and arguably its most important, the 25-year-old has again been called to duty.

Wearing the captain's armband for Melbourne Victory isn't just about screaming instructions to teammates on the park.

It's about being the public face of the biggest football club in the country. It all sits comfortably on the shoulders of a pretty laid-back bloke from Jan Juc.

"It's something that I've noticed a lot more I've been required to do a lot more off the park and I think it's important," Leijer said yesterday.

"Something that I've really tried to focus on is finding the right balance, and particularly with our game it's at the stage now where you have to push it and keep promoting it and doing whatever we can for the good of the game. That's something I'm prepared to do.

"I think I need to balance my time and make sure that whilst doing those things off the park, I'm still producing on the park and at the end of the day that's the most important thing on the park.

"(Captaincy) is something I've been used to growing up playing football. It's something that I enjoy, and I think it brings out the best in me as well.

"It lifts my game and I enjoy trying to get others around me to lift as well."

Leijer represents generational change at the Victory. A club with a new-look administration, new coach and new captain.

He was eased into the role last season, taking over from Kevin Muscat during his lengthy late-season suspension, as well as keeping the title throughout the Asian Champions League campaign, even when Muscat returned.

Muscat still at Victory as an assistant coach has cast a giant shadow over the club throughout its short existence. But Leijer is his own man, and is determined to step out Muscat's shadow.

What Victory will have in Leijer is a captain that hasn't always had things his own way. That must only have made him stronger and more resilient.

After being named the A-League's Young Player of the Year in 2006-07, and making the move to England, the trajectory didn't follow the path he'd hoped or expected.

At that time, the eventual goal of a spot in the Socceroos line-up wasn't something he shied away from. Not that he does now, it's still the dream, but he's learnt a valuable lesson about how important club football is.

Leijer put everything he had into helping Australia's under-23 team qualify for the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

When they got there and he didn't play a role in any of the Games campaign, he'd not only missed missed that opportunity, but had also set his spot at Fulham back.

"I put a hell of a lot of time and effort into that and throughout the qualifying period I basically did whatever I could do for my country to make sure that we qualified for the Olympics, and probably sacrificed a little bit of my club football while I was overseas," Leijer said.

"At the Olympics I got replaced by an over-age player. I sacrificed a lot and in the end it probably didn't pay off for me.

"I was a key player in the qualifiers and going to the Olympics I wasn't, so it was pretty hard to take. It's something that did dishearten me and disappointed me, but what can you do?

"You have your ups and downs in football and in life and you get over it.

"It's disappointing but it's a test of your character and it's how you respond that counts."

After failing to break into the first team at Fulham, and a loan stint at Norwich City in early 2009, Leijer returned to the Victory in August that year.

But despite the trials and tribulations, he's convinced he came back a better player. Perhaps even a better, stronger, person.

"I think from when I left to when I came back I improved a lot and also learnt the game a lot better," he said.

"Although it was a difficult time for me at stages and I was disappointed to come back so soon I'm grateful for the opportunity I had and it's added to the type of person I am today."

Tonight, against old rival Sydney FC at Etihad Stadium, Leijer will lead the new era of the Victory into a new A-League season.

With superstar signing Harry Kewell among its arsenal, Leijer and his team expect big things this season.

"Personally I think we should be aiming for the top two, and the resources and the playing personnel that the club has provided us, that's a realistic aim and something that we can do and something that we'll be striving to do," he said.

As for Kewell Leijer says he's not sick of being asked questions about him just yet.

"It probably won't stop. Every time there's a photo of him in the paper we rack up some fines. He thinks it's going to stop soon but I can't see it happening," he laughs.

White Noise

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/riise_eyeing_pompey_passport_back_into_international_football_1_3127269

Riise eyeing Pompey passport back into international football 

Bjorn Helge Riise in friendly action for Pompey against FC Rostov

By Neil Allen

Published on Friday 7 October 2011 09:00

On Tuesday night, football lovers in Norway will be gathering around the television.

Egil Olsen's side are to face Cyprus in Oslo in a crucial Euro 2012 Championship qualifier.

Among those watching at home will be Bjorn Helge Riise.

It's the first time in five years that the on-loan Pompey player has not been part of Norway's international squad.

Axed because of a lack of domestic action, for once he will join the nation in effectively spectating from the stands.

For the 28-year-old, Riise's move to Fratton Park represents the opportunity to ensure it's an international absence which is nothing more than a blip.

Out-of-favour at Fulham, he has landed at the Blues on an emergency loan until November at the earliest, desperate for first-team action.

Riise has already chalked up three matches in less than two weeks at his temporary home. Still, on Tuesday, Norway host their final group H fixture, with a win essential if they are to maintain a challenge with Denmark and Portugal for an automatic qualification place at the finals.

Riise, who has 31 caps, will be there with his nose pressed against the window.

Extra motivation, if ever it was required, to make an impact during his Pompey loan spell.

He said: 'I have played every game in the past five years – not this one, though.

'I was taken out with the squad for our last match against Denmark and didn't play.

'This time I didn't even make the squad.

'That's why I need to play regular football. I don't want to keep missing playing for the national team.

'The manager (Olsen) told me I need to be playing regular football. He can't take me out there if I'm not.

'When you consider all the players in Norway playing every weekend, he told me if he selects me and not them, then it's not fair.

'So Erik (Huseklepp) is with Norway at the moment and I am not.

'I had a feeling this would happen. Me and the gaffer (Olsen) have been talking for weeks about me not playing.

'The good thing is I am here with the guys at Portsmouth, played in a friendly and have the weekend off with my family.

'My missus is also happy. It's the first time in five years I will be at home when there is an international match on.

'I will be watching it on the television, I get Norwegian TV in my house.

'But I don't want to make that a habit. I love playing football games. When I do I am happy.

'It is really important I play regularly and play well to get back into the squad – and that is what I intend to do here.'

Riise has made just five Premier League starts since his £2m transfer to Fulham from Lillestrom in the summer of 2009.

It reflects a frustrating Craven Cottage spell for the midfielder, who spent time on loan at Sheffield United last season.

He last featured for Fulham in their Europa League qualification programme back in July – only to not play once the Premier League season began.

Clearly, there is no future for him under Martin Jol, and he's hoping something can come out of his south-coast stay.

Riise added: 'I'm loving it here. I knew it was a big club and I'm enjoying it.

'This is my last year of my contract at Fulham so hopefully I can do good here. I really like this club.

'My loan deal can be extended, but it is all up to me to play good football and see what happens.

'The first game against Peterborough I did all right, but against Leeds I was awful, to be fair.

'I don't want to play like that but some games are difficult.

'However, the more games I play the better I will get.

'I am getting to know the team more, the lads and how they are playing.

'It's good for me. Hopefully, I can improve with each game.'

White Noise

There has been much alarm over the revelation that three German players involved in the 1966 World Cup Final failed drugs tests.

As George Cohen said: "I wondered where they got their energy from in extra-time."

Probably best we don't kick up too much of a fuss though, as there were clearly a lot of drugs around on that Swinging Sixties afternoon.

The Russian linesman was on gear that was so strong it made him temporarily blind.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/brian-reade/Brian-Reade-column-Why-foreign-dishes-are-a-recipe-for-saving-Britain-s-pubs-and-there-must-have-been-a-misprint-on-Joorabchian-s-conference-invite-article809092.html#ixzz1aAPHt9Xm

WhiteJC

Fulham Forever

Fulham Football Club has announced plans to redevelop Craven Cottage to ensure the continued survival and success of the Club for future generations.

As an established Barclays Premier League team and European competitor in recent seasons, Fulham FC now attracts over 25,000 supporters to matches at Craven Cottage on a regular basis. Changes must be made to Craven Cottage to ensure that the Club enjoys continued success in the future.

FFC is currently at the early stages of the planning process and welcomes feedback on its proposals. The Club will be displaying ideas and plans in an open exhibition at The Café at the Cottage, in the Johhny Haynes Stand, Stevenage Road, from Wednesday 19th October until Saturday 22nd October.

Alternatively, a comment and feedback form is available online. Club personnel will be on hand at specified times during the exhibition to answer queries. For further details visit our Stadium Development page.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/StadiumAnnouncement.aspx?#ixzz1aBfdzLzi

WhiteJC

Fulham aim to expand Cottage
Fulham have confirmed they are staying at Craven Cottage and have revealed plans that would see the ground's capacity increase to 30,000.

The stadium has been the Whites' home since 1896 and currently holds 25,700 after several refurbishment projects over the past decade.

Recent speculation suggested Fulham have been looking to move to a new stadium, and a potential ground share with west London neighbours QPR or Chelsea has also been reported.

However, the Cottagers have confirmed that no such talks have taken place with either club and that they intend to stay at a redeveloped Craven Cottage.

"Fulham has seen unprecedented success both on and off the pitch in recent years, and is now an established Premier League club, qualifying for European competitions and accommodating over 25,000 people on a regular basis," Fulham chief executive Alastair Mackintosh said on Saturday.

"We are confident that a redevelopment will improve the fans matchday experience, and enhance our corporate offering, whilst remaining sympathetic to the design of this historic ground.

"Naturally our core family values, and the tradition of the football club, continue to be at the forefront of everything we do.

"This investment at Craven Cottage demonstrates yet again the chairman's continued ambition to see the club prosper and grow and to continue to compete at this level for many years to come.

"We are still in the very early stages of the planning process and will be holding a public exhibition in mid-October, where we would very much welcome people's thoughts on our initial ideas."

In information released on Saturday, Fulham revealed they are looking at ways to develop the Riverside Stand in order to increase the stadium's capacity up to 30,000.

The venue would also be subject to wider facility improvements and, as part of the consultation process, the club will begin speaking to residents, supporters and other interested groups from next week.

Fulham thought they had played their last match at Craven Cottage at the end of the 2001-02 campaign, spending the following season at QPR's Loftus Road with the intention of starting out a new stadium a year later.

Opposition to the proposal put paid to the process and spiralling costs eventually resulted in the Whites aborting plans for a new home.

Instead, the club invested money in refurbishment work to increase Craven Cottage's capacity to 25,700, while upgrading facilities.

Recent reports suggested Fulham have reignited their search for a new ground in west London and would be vying with neighbours QPR and Chelsea for suitable plots.

QPR chief executive officer Philip Beard said on Thursday that the club are looking to leave Loftus Road for a new stadium, preferably in the Shepherd's Bush area.

Chelsea have also hit the headlines as they consider stadium options.

The Blues this week made an offer to Chelsea Pitch Owners - most of whose shareholders are fans - for the stadium's freehold in what has been seen as a precursor to a move to a new 60,000-seater ground.

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/7230521/Fulham-aim-to-expand-Cottage?

WhiteJC

Fulham staying at the Cottage
Cottagers have no plans to leave West London home

Fulham have confirmed they will remain at Craven Cottage and have revealed plans that would see the capacity of the venue increased to 30,000.

The stadium has been the Whites' home since 1896 and currently holds 25,700 after several refurbishment projects over the past decade.

Recent speculation suggested Fulham have been looking to move to a new stadium, and a potential ground share with West London neighbours QPR or Chelsea has also been reported.

However, the Cottagers have confirmed that no such talks have taken place with either club and that they intend to stay at a redeveloped Craven Cottage.

Established

"Fulham has seen unprecedented success both on and off the pitch in recent years, and is now an established Barclays Premier League club, qualifying for European competitions and accommodating over 25,000 people on a regular basis," said Fulham chief executive Alastair Mackintosh.

"We are confident that a redevelopment will improve the fans matchday experience, and enhance our corporate offering, whilst remaining sympathetic to the design of this historic ground.

"Naturally our core family values, and the tradition of the football club, continue to be at the forefront of everything we do.

"This investment at Craven Cottage demonstrates yet again the chairman's continued ambition to see the club prosper and grow and to continue to compete at this level for many years to come.

"We are still in the very early stages of the planning process and will be holding a public exhibition in mid-October, where we would very much welcome people's thoughts on our initial ideas."

In information released on Saturday, Fulham revealed they are looking at ways to develop the Riverside Stand in order to increase the stadium's capacity up to 30,000.

The venue would also be subject to wider facility improvements and, as part of the consultation process, the club will begin speaking to residents, supporters and other interested groups from next week.

Fulham thought they had played their last match at Craven Cottage at the end of the 2001-02 campaign, spending the following season at QPR's Loftus Road with the intention of starting out a new stadium a year later.

Opposition

Opposition to the proposal put paid to the process and spiralling costs eventually resulted in the Whites aborting plans for a new home.

Instead, the club invested money in refurbishment work to increase Craven Cottage's capacity to 25,700, while upgrading facilities.

Recent reports suggested Fulham have reignited their search for a new ground in west London and would be vying with neighbours QPR and Chelsea for suitable plots.

QPR chief executive officer Philip Beard said on Thursday that the club are looking to leave Loftus Road for a new stadium, preferably in the Shepherd's Bush area.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7230583,00.html?

WhiteJC

We're not leaving the Cottage! Fulham plan to increase capacity to 30,000

Fulham have confirmed they are staying at Craven Cottage and have revealed plans that would see the ground's capacity increase to 30,000.

The stadium has been the Whites' home since 1896 and currently holds 25,700 after several refurbishment projects over the past decade and Fulham insist they intend to stay at a redeveloped Craven Cottage.

'Fulham has seen unprecedented success both on and off the pitch in recent years, and is now an established Barclays Premier League club, qualifying for European competitions and accommodating over 25,000 people on a regular basis,' said Fulham chief executive Alastair Mackintosh.

Staying put: Fulham insist they have no plans to relocate from their Craven Cottage home

'We are confident that a redevelopment will improve the fans matchday experience, and enhance our corporate offering, whilst remaining sympathetic to the design of this historic ground.

'Naturally our core family values, and the tradition of the football club, continue to be at the forefront of everything we do.

'This investment at Craven Cottage demonstrates yet again the chairman's continued ambition to see the club prosper and grow and to continue to compete at this level for many years to come.

'We are still in the very early stages of the planning process and will be holding a public exhibition in mid-October, where we would very much welcome people's thoughts on our initial ideas.'

Home sweet home: Craven Cottage has been Fulham's ground since 1896

Fulham revealed they are looking at ways to develop the Riverside Stand in order to increase the stadium's capacity up to 30,000.

Building for the future: Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is continuing his investment at the Barclays Premier League club

Chelsea have also hit the headlines as they consider stadium options.

The Blues this week made an offer to Chelsea Pitch Owners - most of whose shareholders are fans - for the stadium's freehold in what has been seen as a precursor to a move to a new 60,000-seater ground.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2046764/Fulham-reveal-Craven-Cottage-extension-plans.html#ixzz1aBgdmc29

WhiteJC

English players as future managers...

Just remembered an article rjbiii sent me:

About Dutch  players vs their English equivalents:

McClaren proved, however, with Twente in the Netherlands that success can be achieved without an open cheque book. In 2010 he became the first Englishman since Sir Bobby Robson, with Porto in 1996, to win a major European league title. "One story highlights my whole experience in Holland," he says, recalling the two seasons spent with Twente. "We found out a team were going to play a different system against us to counter what we do, so we got a 21-year‑old midfielder in and said: 'How do you think we should counter our opponent's system?'

"He proceeded to talk for 20 minutes on the tactical aspects of our game plan, in terms of how we defended and attacked. After 20 minutes, I said: 'Very good, that's exactly what we said we were going to do!' I said: 'By the way, when did you learn that?' He said: 'We've been doing this since we were eight or nine.' What they're teaching their players is about formations and your job within that formation, and how to solve problems on the field themselves. Could I have that conversation with a 21-year-old in England?"

The Guardian's Secret Footballer says something not dissimilar:

It may come as a surprise to some but it is rare to hear players talk about football away from their place of work. Although most love to play, I haven't found too many who are overly enthusiastic about dissecting the finer points and, out of all the football being played, international matches outside of the major tournaments are far and away those that nobody wants to discuss.

The most that foreign players who go away on international duty generally get from a team-mate on their return is, "Who did you play again?" followed by "Oh, right, how did you get on?". The internationals, on the other hand, are much more interested to find out what happened in Marbella and why one player in particular disappeared for 48 hours and emerged only at the airport, soaking wet and minus his shoes. At least he had his passport.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/english-players-as-future-managers/?

MJG

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 08, 2011, 12:12:01 PM

English players as future managers…

Just remembered an article rjbiii sent me:

About Dutch  players vs their English equivalents:

McClaren proved, however, with Twente in the Netherlands that success can be achieved without an open cheque book. In 2010 he became the first Englishman since Sir Bobby Robson, with Porto in 1996, to win a major European league title. “One story highlights my whole experience in Holland,” he says, recalling the two seasons spent with Twente. “We found out a team were going to play a different system against us to counter what we do, so we got a 21-year‑old midfielder in and said: ‘How do you think we should counter our opponent’s system?’

“He proceeded to talk for 20 minutes on the tactical aspects of our game plan, in terms of how we defended and attacked. After 20 minutes, I said: ‘Very good, that’s exactly what we said we were going to do!’ I said: ‘By the way, when did you learn that?’ He said: ‘We’ve been doing this since we were eight or nine.’ What they’re teaching their players is about formations and your job within that formation, and how to solve problems on the field themselves. Could I have that conversation with a 21-year-old in England?”

The Guardian’s Secret Footballer says something not dissimilar:

It may come as a surprise to some but it is rare to hear players talk about football away from their place of work. Although most love to play, I haven’t found too many who are overly enthusiastic about dissecting the finer points and, out of all the football being played, international matches outside of the major tournaments are far and away those that nobody wants to discuss.

The most that foreign players who go away on international duty generally get from a team-mate on their return is, “Who did you play again?” followed by “Oh, right, how did you get on?”. The internationals, on the other hand, are much more interested to find out what happened in Marbella and why one player in particular disappeared for 48 hours and emerged only at the airport, soaking wet and minus his shoes. At least he had his passport.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/english-players-as-future-managers/?
its a long old problem but we just do not teach/coach correctly over here. It's all rushed, get a ball and play.
If your someone like me I love the tactical side of the game, but lets be honest if your in the pub and start talking about 4-2-3-1 and its benefits against 4-4-2 most people glaze over and want to just slag Rooney off.