Main Menu

AJ Can Leave For £2M In January

Started by White Noise, October 09, 2011, 08:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham striker set to leave in January

Published 22:56 08/10/11

By Paul Smith

Andrew Johnson has been told he can leave ­Fulham when the January transfer window opens for around £2million if he fails to agree a new two-year deal at Craven Cottage.

The 30-year-old striker is out of contract at the end of the season and has already rejected an initial offer on significantly reduced terms.

He is currently earning £40,000 a week, including appearance bonuses.

Johnson has admitted he would like to stay at ­Fulham if the club is prepared to ­increase its initial offer.

Yet despite him scoring nine goals this season, ­Fulham seem unlikely to meet ­Johnson's demands.

Fulham boss Martin Jol said: "Before I came to ­Fulham it was my policy to give players only one year.

"We have offered him two, so there is a lot of ­confidence in him."

All of which has alerted QPR, Sunderland and Leicester, who are prepared to meet Fulham's price and pay Johnson a salary in comparison to his current terms.

Cash-rich Leicester City had a £3.5million offer ­rejected for Johnson in the summer while QPR were rebuffed after making an enquiry.

It appears Fulham's ­confidence that Johnson would sign a new deal to end speculation about his future may be misplaced.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-striker-Andrew-Johnson-told-he-can-leave-in-January-if-he-fails-to-agree-a-new-contract-article809749.html#ixzz1aGZAzHCB

VicHalomsLovechild

With his contract running out in the summer. A January sale is obvious. I guess with a couple of months left both sides are setting out their stalls. If AJ keeps banging in goals his value goes up and puts pressure on the Club to improve it's offer. It's a win win for both AJ and Club. He'll get his final contract to take him to the end of his career (with us or someone else) and we'll either have rewarded his re-found good form or get some of the original investment back. Lets not forget that AJ's injury lead to the Gera Zamora partnership that took us all the way to Hamburg. So we've recoup his transfer fee and more.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

.......£5M, that's five million .............................Fulham unloads players in the dead of a cool January night for £5 Million
not £2 Million ( ..except Saha who went for twice that and then some )

VicHalomsLovechild

I have to add I hope he stays. Sa's looking like a bargain, he finds space and pulls defenders away from the action. I'm looking forward to seeing the two of them up front could be very interesting.

Jimpav

For the measly sum of 2 million I would be happy to see AJ ride out his contract and leave on a free at the end of the season. If we make it through to the next stage of Europa we will need all hands to the pump and until Ruiz finds his feet we are only an injury away from being down to proven striker.

Would be sorry to see AJ leave though as injuries have severly restricted the impact he has made for Fulham. The performances he has put in recently are the reason that there was so much excitement surrounding his arrival. A season of performances like that and we would be challenging for Europe again.

Berserker

To be honest i think Jol's new style of play suits AJ better than it seems to Zamora, AJ seems to have blossomed recently
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

We lack proven depth up front, so offloading him, particularly if we are going to have a good Europa run, doesn't really make sense to me unless he is replaced.

I've not been AJ's biggest fan although since recovering from his last injury I have to say that his fitness level has been impressive, as has his workrate and commitment, and now he has recently discovered how to put his scoring boots on I'm in danger of actually quite liking him.

He needs to work on his goal celebrations though.  080.gif doesn't do it for me!

RidgeRider

Quote from: Burt on October 09, 2011, 03:20:14 PM
We lack proven depth up front, so offloading him, particularly if we are going to have a good Europa run, doesn't really make sense to me unless he is replaced.

I've not been AJ's biggest fan although since recovering from his last injury I have to say that his fitness level has been impressive, as has his workrate and commitment, and now he has recently discovered how to put his scoring boots on I'm in danger of actually quite liking him.

He needs to work on his goal celebrations though.  080.gif doesn't do it for me!

Agreed its also interesting that his performances have improved significantly in his final contract year however in his case I'm sure it is just a function of being completely healthy.