watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Trouble In West London

Started by White Noise, October 09, 2011, 08:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/columnists/dave-kidd/2011/10/09/blues-faithful-must-pitch-in-to-save-club-from-roman-102039-23475849/

Blues faithful must Pitch in to save club from Roman

Oct 9 2011 by Dave Kidd, The People

IT might be difficult to believe it now but supporters of west London's three leading football teams spent much of the 1980s and 1990s living in fear that unscrupulous property developers would leave their clubs homeless.

And just because Chelsea, Fulham and QPR have since come into money, it does not mean that those concerns have entirely vanished.

Marler Estates attempted to merge two of the clubs into 'Fulham Park Rangers', while the same company fought a long-running battle with Ken Bates to redevelop Stamford Bridge.

When Bates won that fight, the Chelsea Pitch Owners were formed – 12,000 fans buying the freehold to the stadium, to ensure that the club would never be made homeless.

This week Roman Abramovich announced he will attempt to buy back the freehold from the CPO, at an extraordinary general meeting on October 27 – a proposal which has sparked opposition from many fans.

Some, in what we'll call the 'Campaign for Real Football Grounds', believe that Stamford Bridge IS Chelsea FC, just as Craven Cottage is Fulham FC – and that a move would destroy the identity of their club.

They believe, as I do, that your club's ground is sacred – the only place you'll refer to as 'home' from when you're a toddler to a totterer.

Others are concerned at Chelsea's lack of stated plans for a future home, especially that the club guarantees it would only move to a site within a three-mile radius of the Bridge before 2020 – but not after that date.

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck was probably seeking to ease fans' fears, when he declared that the advance of new media might mean the current 41,800 capacity might be sufficient in 2020, in any case.

Buck said: "If people are going to be watching 3pm Saturday kick-offs on their wristwatches while lying on the beach, how do we know what the right size of stadium is for Chelsea or any other club?"

Yet it sounds as though another chairman could be making the age-old mistake of under-estimating the enduring passion of his club's supporters.

For lifelong fans are the true owners of any club. Abramovich, Mohamed Al Fayed and Tony Fernandes, however generous, are mere custodians.

Chelsea Pitch Owners are living, breathing, legalised proof of that fact. They must stand up to Abramovich and tell him their shares are not for sale.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Yet it sounds as though another chairman could be making the age-old mistake of under-estimating the enduring passion of his club's supporters. For lifelong fans are the true owners of any club. Abramovich, Mohamed Al Fayed and Tony Fernandes, however generous, are mere custodians. Chelsea Pitch Owners are living, breathing, legalised proof of that fact. They must stand up to Abramovich and tell him their shares are not for sale.

The age of those  Chelsea shareholders may have a huge influence  on how many will sell, I know a 52 year old who will.
Those facing retirement and  have seen a big dip in their pension pot  or  their disposable income or wages,  may well choose to sell their shares.

Fulham Rangers ....uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh !!!

Burt

I'm in danger of having an outbreak of sympathy/support for our neighbours...

The Bronsons

Quote from: KCat on October 09, 2011, 10:09:03 AM
Yet it sounds as though another chairman could be making the age-old mistake of under-estimating the enduring passion of his club's supporters. For lifelong fans are the true owners of any club. Abramovich, Mohamed Al Fayed and Tony Fernandes, however generous, are mere custodians. Chelsea Pitch Owners are living, breathing, legalised proof of that fact. They must stand up to Abramovich and tell him their shares are not for sale.

The age of those  Chelsea shareholders may have a huge influence  on how many will sell, I know a 52 year old who will.
Those facing retirement and  have seen a big dip in their pension pot  or  their disposable income or wages,  may well choose to sell their shares.

Didn't I see somewhere Abramovich is only offering them back the £100 a share they originally paid? Unless someone had bought hundreds of shares would it make that much difference to a pension pot?

cebu

Quote from: Burt on October 09, 2011, 03:25:01 PM

Don't worry Mr Burt, that will pass.  :038:

TonyGilroy

Quote from: The Bronsons on October 09, 2011, 03:29:48 PM
Quote from: KCat on October 09, 2011, 10:09:03 AM

Didn't I see somewhere Abramovich is only offering them back the £100 a share they originally paid? Unless someone had bought hundreds of shares would it make that much difference to a pension pot?

A modern Russian custom. It's usually wise to accept any offer that's made.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

They are hoping for a lot more than £100.00 per share. they forked out
Not only do they own the freehold to Stamford Bridge
.........................they also own the name : Chelsea Football Club

The only thing The Russian will  be moving is a shed load of money   064.gif 064.gif

Burt

Quote from: cebu on October 09, 2011, 05:05:44 PM

Phew! Hopefully without medication!

cebu

Quote from: Burt on October 10, 2011, 02:27:40 AM

Well, just a beer or three as medication, perhaps?

Burt

Quote from: cebu on October 10, 2011, 04:43:42 PM

OK Dr Cebu I will follow your instructions.

I am in San Francisco at the moment though so I will have to change my usual medication (London Pride) to something else. Hope that is OK.

:dft011:

cebu

Quote from: Burt on October 10, 2011, 09:08:16 PM
Quote from: cebu on October 10, 2011, 04:43:42 PM

OK Dr Cebu I will follow your instructions.

I am in San Francisco at the moment though so I will have to change my usual medication (London Pride) to something else. Hope that is OK.

:dft011:

One has to remain flexible when visiting the colonials, good sir.   :003:

Fletchino

Is it true Chelsea have made a last ditch attempt to get stratford olymipic stadium?  And the club will be renamed Stratford blues