watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Murphy next Fulham manager?

Started by DukeTyrion, October 10, 2011, 03:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeTyrion

Now, please excuse the question, but it's one I find myself asking after recent murmurings around the press.

Hughes came along, tried his style of football, we had a bad start, then ... if rumour is to be believed, the players got together and discussed issues and suddenly with a mixed style things improved.

Fast forward, Jol joins (who I will point out I like and back 100%) we have a mixed start, rumours of players suggesting Johnson should play, we spank QPR 6-0.

I don't know how long Jol will stay around, although I hope he stays a while and brings more youngsters through, but, does anyone else get the feeling that Murphy is a potential manager waiting in the wings who Al Fayed may turn to (similar to Chris Coleman)?

Just a thought.

Burt

If Murphy is interested in management as his career after hanging up his boots then I would like to think that the club would invest the time and money in helping him get his qualifications. I think he will make a good gaffer in the long term. Sensible, level-headed, knowledgeable, a great track record as a player, and being club captain must help too.

Oakeshott

Yes, I hope so. He seems to me to have all the necessary qualities. But first he would need to find a replacement for himself as our midfield creator, as I don't think being a player/manager is realistic in the Premiership.

WhiteMulberry

I like to think Jol will be with us for some time to come. But yes, if he were to walk then Murphy may be a good replacement, he certainly has the players backing. Maybe a role on the coaching staff under Jol would be the best option for the near future.

zzamora

Cookie was up to scratch...

Dont see why papa smurph isnt!

LRCN

cebu

I have to agree with Mr Lork. Danny needs a few years experience elsewhere first and then he could have a go with us.

MJG

After he retires maybe, but as PM he would never drop himself.

HatterDon

I believe that a good manager has to have an understanding of life in the lower divisions. Danny will make an EXCELLENT manager some day, but it can be disastrous rushing rushing a great player to the top level too soon -- witness Paul Ince, Gareth Southgate, Bryan Robson, and Glenn Roeder as recent examples.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jack Fulham

People say you need to go out and get experience before taking on a team like us but Lee Clark's gone and done that and done fairly well at Huddersfield yet when our managerial spot comes open, people go no he's only managed in the Lower League's. I think Murphy would make a good manager as it's pretty clear he has way he thinks football should be played. He also comes across very serious and professional which is a clear difference with Coleman who was more of one of the lads if you get what I'm saying. I think Danny has the credentials to become a top manager but I'm unsure we'd be willing to throw anyone in the deep end after Coleman.

Basil

I think he is eying a media career but may be wrong

TonyGilroy

There are two successful routes into Premier League management.

Coming from abroard or getting a team promoted into the Prem and then proving yourself in that League.

Burt

A part of me always wonders how successful Coleman would have been if he was given the same level as financial support that Sanchez got.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Burt on October 10, 2011, 07:41:31 PM
A part of me always wonders how successful Coleman would have been if he was given the same level as financial support that Sanchez got.

No more successful IMO. The clue is his (and Steve Kean's) record since.

Not bright, astute or dedicated enough.

vagrant

Quote from: Jack Fulham on October 10, 2011, 06:04:17 PM
People say you need to go out and get experience before taking on a team like us but Lee Clark's gone and done that and done fairly well at Huddersfield yet when our managerial spot comes open, people go no he's only managed in the Lower League's. I think Murphy would make a good manager as it's pretty clear he has way he thinks football should be played. He also comes across very serious and professional which is a clear difference with Coleman who was more of one of the lads if you get what I'm saying. I think Danny has the credentials to become a top manager but I'm unsure we'd be willing to throw anyone in the deep end after Coleman.

I go along with that .......

Burt

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 10, 2011, 07:44:54 PM
Quote from: Burt on October 10, 2011, 07:41:31 PM

No more successful IMO. The clue is his (and Steve Kean's) record since.

Not bright, astute or dedicated enough.

Fair points Mr Gilroy sir, I think my perceptions are tainted by his service to the club generally and the initial successes he did have in his first season.

But I think you are right.

White Noise

Danny's wife Joanna was saying to me over cocktails the other night (oh no it was on Twitter) that he is keen on the coaching option but still has more qualifications to attain. She also said it would be a huge honour if he were ever to manage Fulham - and, of course, she was right.

He himself has said that he thinks he has at least this and 2 more seasons in him on the pitch and I wouldn't bet against that.

He has worked under some excellent managers and you would think the Dario Gradi influence would make anyone want to have a crack at management.

Danny is a clever bloke, passionate, a grafter and well respected within the game - of all the current professionals playing in the top flight he would be in my top 4 or 5 most likely to make a go of management.

DukeTyrion

Thanks for all the replies, the Lork item was an interesting read.

It would be nice to think that one day, in the years to come, that either Lee Clark or Danny Murphy might take up the reigns.

JBH

Not at the moment, he needs to get some experience first in the lower divisions like Lee Clarke has before he takes on a job in the premiership.  :046: