Main Menu

Zdenek Grygera Thinks He's Been Crap So Far

Started by White Noise, October 10, 2011, 10:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Zdenek Grygera makes Fulham admission

By Jacob Murtagh

Oct 10 2011

FULHAM defender Zdenek Grygera admits he faces a race against time to get up to speed in the Premier League.

The summer signing from Juventus made his first appearance in England's top-flight against West Brom last month, and helped keep another shut-out in last week's derby drubbing of QPR.

Boss Martin Jol admits it will take time for his foreign imports to adapt to the pace of the Premier League.

And the Czech, who only signed a one-year deal at Craven Cottage with a further year's option, knows he needs to adjust as quickly as possible.

He said: "The football is different. It's much faster than Italian football, which is more tactical.

"I don't know how long it will take me to get used to it, but I hope it's not more than one year!

"I feel good and am happy with how it's going so far."

Grygera played at centre-back in last month's Carling Cup exit at Chelsea, but switched to right-back against the Baggies and QPR.

However, the 31-year-old insists he's happy to play anywhere across Fulham's backline.

He added: "My best position is right-back or left-back but I can also play in the centre."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/10/10/zdenek-grygera-makes-fulham-admission-82029-29569624/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1aPna87wk

Jack Fulham

Wouldn't say he said he's been crap but I can understand his comments about the pace change. He's looked very good when called upon though, I expect he will receive a contract extension.

Mitch

Think he's been quality. MOM vs Chelsea for his performance against Lukaku.

SmithyFFC

Been pretty decent of what we've seen of him so far, and hopefully he'll only get better. Quality signing by Jol  :54:
FTID

Scrumpy

It's funny how some of the more 'underwhelming' signings become some of the best.

I can't say I was very excited by Grygera's capture, but he has been excellent in most games. I'd have him as first choice Right Back for the time being, but it's great that he could cover almost all defensive positions. Fast becoming a bit of a hero of mine.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

White Noise

Quote from: Jack Fulham on October 10, 2011, 10:13:31 PM

Wouldn't say he said he's been crap but I can understand his comments about the pace change. He's looked very good when called upon though, I expect he will receive a contract extension.

Only joking with the title but am delighted to hear he feels he is still a bit off the pace. He has been great so far so to think that he can get even better is very exciting.

Burt

Yes agreed... If he thinks he has more to offer then bring it on!

finnster01

If he thinks he has been crap, I wonder what he thinks about fellow newcomer Ruiz?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

JBH

If he thinks he has been crap then I can't wait until he puts in a decent performance :54:

He obviously has very high standards so I 065.gif him

AlFayedsChequebook

He has surprised me in that he has adapted well to the pace (I thought he would get roasted) and done a good job in the team from the off.

I get an inkling that he may be more comfortable when he is asked to do less attacking and more defending, which has been his role so far with us.

richie17

You can tell he's spent time in Italy.  He's just how I imagine defenders over there to be, super solid, intelligent and reliable.  Love watching him play, especially with Chris Baird who embodies many of the same qualities.

elgreenio

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 10, 2011, 10:22:06 PM
Fast becoming a bit of a hero of mine.

Feel exactly the same. Feel so calm when he is playing at the back as if everything is going to be ok. Opposite end of the scale to my pre-match feelings knowing JP was at right back.
touch my camera through the fence

HatterDon

A brilliant tactical interview. He's well aware that, of all the Jol imports, he has played the most consistently and effectively. He's setting expectations low so that he can reach and exceed them.

I agree with Richie17's assessment of him and of Baird.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

I reckon he's been pretty sound, if he thinks there's more to come then great.

I think he and Riise have been the best two acquisitions (so far).
Non sumus statione ferriviaria