watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rooney Ban

Started by fulham pete, October 14, 2011, 02:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulham pete

Does anyone remember the Leeds Utd. case a few years ago. They had a player (David Batty I think) suspended for 6 European games. Leeds didn't include him in their european squad for the first half of the season as he couldn't play. When they named him in their squad in the new year, UEFA informed them he was banned for the next six matches. The ban didn't apply to the first half of the season as he wasn't registered.

If the same logic applies to Rooney he has to be named in the Euro 2012 squad or miss the first 3 world cup qualifiers.

Mitch

Good question. I think it's games he is illegilble to play that are official tournaments. Otherwise if you had a player suspended, then next time you pick a squad you'd only be allowed 22 rather than 23 as one selection would be your suspended player.

FC Silver Fox

This is an easy one.  Rooney is banned for playing 3 matches in national UEFA competitions (sic).  All we have to do is select Rooney to play for England in next February's UEFA Futsal Championship.  This is an official UEFA national competition. Rooney will serve his ban there. He won't play so won't risk getting injured in this indoor competition.  Done deal.  (sometimes I come up with brilliant ideas, not often, just sometimes)

.... oh buggrit. I've just noticed that England haven't qualified for these finals. Back to the drawing board. Pity because article 16 of the Futsal rules state that:
"Only players that are duly registered with the UEFA administration can serve
pending disciplinary suspensions."

Can't we just stick a skirt on the big girl's blouse and select him for the England ladies team?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.