watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - AWFUL NEWS - Dan Wheldon dies following crash

Started by Jimbobob, October 16, 2011, 11:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbobob

"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Tom

RIP Dan! My prayers go out to his family and friends.
Fulham for life!

Lighthouse

THIS FROM BBC

British driver Dan Wheldon has died following a massive accident at the Las Vegas Indy 300.

Buckinghamshire-born Wheldon, 33, was one of 15 drivers involved in a crash at the second corner on lap 13 of the series' season-ending race.

Wheldon, who began IndyCar racing in 2002, was series champion in 2005 and won the Indy 500 in 2005 and 2011.

IndyCar chief executive Randy Bernard said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

WHELDON PROFILEContinue reading the main story Born: 22 June 1978
IndyCar wins: 16
IndyCar champion: 2005
Indy 500: 2005 & 2011
Wheldon was airlifted to the nearby University Medical Center where he was joined by his family - including his wife and two sons - but his death was announced to his fellow drivers in a meeting at the track.

It was the first IndyCar fatality since 2006 when Paul Dana was killed during the warm-up for the season-opening Toyota Indy 300 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

Bernard added: "The IndyCar drivers and owners have decided to end the race in honour of Dan Wheldon and the drivers will take part in a five-lap salute."

When drivers returned to the track, Wheldon's 77 was the only number on the scoreboard.

The song Danny Boy was played followed by Amazing Grace as the teams' crew and mechanics stood around the track.

The Briton had failed to secure a ride this season after being replaced by JR Hildebrand at the Panther Racing team.

Despite that, Wheldon put together a deal for the Indianapolis 500 with Bryan Herta Autosport, a race he won after Hildebrand crashed going into the final turn.

Continue reading the main story The debris we all had to drive through the lap later, it looked like a war scene from Terminator or something
IndyCar driver Ryan Briscoe
He took up IndyCar chief Bernard's offer to pay $5m (£3.1m) if any non-regular series driver entered and won the season finale at Las Vegas.

There were 34 cars entered in the Las Vegas race - one more entry than was the case at the far bigger Indianapolis 500 circuit.

Earlier in the week, drivers had voiced concerns about speeds of close to 225mph being reached at the track during practice.

"I'll tell you, I've never seen anything like it," said driver Ryan Briscoe.

"The debris we all had to drive through the lap later, it looked like a war scene from Terminator or something. I mean, there were just pieces of metal and car on fire in the middle of the track... just debris everywhere."

The ending of the race resulted in Scotland's Dario Franchitti winning a third straight series crown, as a result of rival Will Power also been caught up in the accident.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jimbobob

Quote from: Tom Magee on October 17, 2011, 12:05:22 AM
who is this man?

Two time Indy 500 winner.
He won this year.
He is from England.
Husband.
Father.
That is who this man is......was...............
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

HatterDon

who is this man?

your attention is gently invited to Google, Bing, or any of the other search engines out there. If you search the person's name BEFORE you hit "reply" it might work better for you.

Just suggesting, mind.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AmericanJames

Very sad indeed. I watched the footage and the crash was horrendous. It looked of something you would see in a movie, but worse. My Prayers go out to his family
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

The Equalizer

Quote from: AmericanJames on October 17, 2011, 02:20:08 AM
Very sad indeed. I watched the footage and the crash was horrendous. It looked of something you would see in a movie, but worse. My Prayers go out to his family

I too saw the incident and it truly was the most horrific motor racing crash I've ever seen. It looked like something from a war film.

Truly tragic.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Tom Magee

MAY HE REST IN PEACE

Quote from: Jimbobob on October 17, 2011, 12:38:28 AM
who is this man?

Two time Indy 500 winner.
He won this year.
He is from England.
Husband.
Father.
That is who this man is......was...............

Jimbobob

Tribute to Mr Wheldon.
I just need to get this last one out.
I am very sad and upset about this.
He will be missed terribly... :016:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGS_IltaHxQ#ws

CorkedHat

He was due to race in Australia this weekend in a Touring Car event.
They will have a minute's silence for him which is appropriate.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us