more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (17/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 17, 2011, 07:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Face Competition For Swedish International

The Fulham boss Martin Jol is looking to strengthen his defence in the January transfer window and his latest target is believed to be Mikael Lustig of Swedish side Rosenborg.

According to reports in Sweden, Fulham scouts were in attendance on Tuesday to watch Lustig play for the national team against Holland in a European Championship qualifier, a game that Sweden won 3-2 to secure their place at next years finals.

Lustig, 24, is nearing the end of his contract at Rosenborg and looks almost certain to leave, and he admitted as much when he was asked about his future by the Swedish evening newspaper Expressen. He said, "The only question is whether it is England, Spain or Italy. I know there are some clubs following me and who have watched international matches."

When he was asked about when that move will happen he replied, "I do not know, but I hope something is done before December."

Fulham are not the only club monitoring the situation as Espanyol and Racing Santander have also been linked, as have Championship side Southampton, though they would find it hard to compete with the other clubs mentioned despite their great start to the season.

The temptation of the Premier League would be difficult for Lustig to turn down should Fulham come calling, and the fact he would be available for free is sure to tempt Martin Jol into making that move once the transfer window reopens.

http://www.footylatest.com/fulham-face-competition-for-swedish-international/24505?#

WhiteJC

AEK's Gudjohnsen out for rest of season

UEFA Europa League hopefuls AEK Athens FC have lost Eidur Gudjohnsen for the remainder of the season after the Iceland forward broke his right leg on domestic duty on Saturday.

UEFA Europa League hopefuls AEK Athens FC will have to cope without Eidur Gudjohnsen for the rest of the season after the Iceland forward suffered a broken leg during Saturday's Greek Super League meeting with Olympiacos FC.

The 33-year-old summer signing fractured the tibia and fibula of his right leg during a collision with Olympiacos goalkeeper Franco Costanzo in the first half of the 1-1 draw. Having played both of AEK's UEFA Europa League Group L games so far, he will miss the remainder of their campaign, with the club bottom of the section and hoping to secure their first points at FC Lokomotiv Moskva on Thursday.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1697606.html?

WhiteJC

STOKE 2 - FULHAM 0: MURPHY'S LAW SAVED HIM A RED

MARTIN JOL thought about substituting captain Danny Murphy before he asked to come off in a feisty game against Stoke.
Murphy earned a draw out of his personal battle but, as soon as he came off, Fulham collapsed.

Jol claimed Murphy was injured when he was substituted in the 79th minute, three minutes after being booked and right in the middle of a hot period when another booking – and therefore a sending-off – looked imminent.

Jol said Murphy took himself out of a game in which there were seven bookings and he was the target for abuse from Stoke fans. Home supporters were taking their revenge after he branded their side as thugs last season.

Stoke, Wolves and Blackburn were all named by Murphy as clubs where managers wound up their players. He labelled their tackles as "ridiculous and brainless" but Murphy was not allowed to give a second view on how Stoke played in this game because Fulham refused to put him, or any other of their players, up for interview.

Fulham were looking comfortable for a draw when Murphy signalled to the bench that he wanted to come off because he was injured. He had barely walked to the tunnel – to more abuse – before Jonathan Walters had put Stoke ahead. Rory Delap followed that with a headed second three minutes from time.

Jol said: "First I thought it would probably be a good idea to take Murphy off. But I know him, he is a clever player, so I thought he wouldn't get a second booking. But it was in my head.

"Ray Lewington [first- team coach] said it as well, 'Be careful', but Murphy is not stupid.

"It was a knock. He came off. In fact, he brought himself off because of the injury. So that was not a problem.

"We have to be realistic. If you saw what happened, I don't think Murphy was involved, the crowd was against him. I don't know if Murphy expected the crowd to be on his back, I think there was something in the past, with Wolves and Stoke and others, he was probably a bit critical.

"That is the reason but he has to cope – that is football."

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer was disappointed they could not see out the job of keeping Stoke at bay.

"It was a hugely frustrating afternoon for us and it was a day to forget," he said. "The hardest thing to take was the fact that, for the majority of the match, we dealt with everything they threw at us.

"We gave away a couple of silly free-kicks and they punished us. That is unlike us and, as a result, it is very difficult to take."

This was only Fulham's second defeat in eight games and the first time they had conceded a goal – other than the penalty shoot-out Carling Cup defeat by Chelsea apart – in more than eight hours.

But there remains something about them which suggests this season will be a struggle.

Stoke, on the other hand, are on the verge of a big season. If they can come through the next 18 days of tough fixtures still competitive in the Europa League and Carling Cup and high in the Premier League, then manager Tony Pulis will not be able to play down the expectation as easily as he is now.

"We have come a long way in a short time," said Pulis. "So we have to be careful. We have had a fantastic start to the season but football can hit you where it hurts if you take anything for granted. What we have here is a great group of players who have bought in to what we are trying to achieve. That includes the players whom we brought in during the summer.

"There are some big-name players here now but they can't all play at the same time and they are accepting of that and the rotation policy is working well. That is important because we have a heavy programme coming up and an even more demanding one come December."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/277928/Stoke-2-Fulham-0-Murphy-s-law-saved-him-a-red?

WhiteJC

Blackburn table bid for Barcelona's Andreu Fontas

BLACKBURN and Fulham want Barcelona's £2million-rated central defender Andreu Fontas.

Blackburn are expected to pounce with a formal offer for the 21-year-old next week.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3873303/Blackburn-table-bid-for-Barcelonas-Andreu-Fontas.html

WhiteJC

Fulham to bid for Oldham starlet David Mellor

FULHAM are ready to make a £500,000 January bid for Oldham starlet David Mellor.

The Cottagers failed with a £300,000 offer for the 18-year-old full-back last month but will up it in January.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3875737/Fulham-to-bid-for-Oldham-starlet-David-Mellor.html

WhiteJC

Cottage target reveals exit plan

Rosenborg full-back Mikael Lustig, a reported target of Fulham, has admitted that he expects to leave the Norwegian club this season.

As we reported a week ago, the 24-year-old Sweden international has been attracting the attention of the Cottagers, Championship high-flyers Southampton and Spanish sides Espanyol and Racing Santander.

Fulham sent scouts to watch Lustig in action for his country as they defeated Holland 3-2 in their final Euro 2012 qualifier last week and, as he approaches the end of his Rosenborg contract, the player is certain that he will be on the move.

He told the Swedish evening newspaper Expressen: "The only question is whether it is England, Spain or Italy. I know there are some clubs following me and who have watched international matches."

When he was asked about when that move will happen he added: "I do not know, but I hope something is done before December."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottage-target-reveals-exit-plan-1313140.html?#.Tpv4T2DHo98

WhiteJC

Not good enough - Jol

Martin Jol said his Fulham side were not good enough to win at Stoke following the disappointing 2-0 defeat on Saturday.
The Cottagers boss was fairly pleased with the way the opening stages of the game at the Britannia Stadium panned out as they restricted Tony Pulis' men from creating problems.

However, Jol felt conditions worked against them after the break as the match opened up and Jon Walters finally broke the deadlock with 10 minutes remaining. Rory Delap sealed the points late on and Jol was left to reflect on a bad day at the office.

He told Sky Sports: "I think we started off brightly. The first 20 minutes we kept the ball, we could play.

"Before the game we said the grass was high, maybe it's one of their tactics but it didn't help them because we did well.

"After that we tried to fight them and contain them instead of playing our own style but it was not easy today, you know.

"First 20 minutes were okay, after that it was a chilly, windy afternoon."

He added: "We didn't play well enough to win this game so it was always until the 80th minute a draw would have been a fine result but then it wasn't to be."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/not-good-enough-jol-1313150.html?#.TpwOl2DHo98

WhiteJC

Reserves face Fulham test

Swans Reserves are back in action tonight as they host Fulham at Parc y Scarlets (7pm).

Alan Curtis has named a squad mixed with youth and experience as his side look to build on their 2-2 draw at Arsenal last time out.

Experience comes in the form of Gerhard Tremmel, Fede Bessone, Andrea Orlandi, Tom Butler, Craig Beattie and David Cotterill, while Greece international Vangelis Moras makes his first appearance since completing his move on Friday.

Jazz Richards, who came off the bench for the first-team at Norwich on Saturday, is also in the squad while Daniel Alfei and Lee Lucas are just some of the young talent who are looking to make another big impression.

The second string have won two, drawn one and lost three of their Barclays Premier Reserve League South fixtures.

Swans Reserves (from): Gerhard Tremmel, Jazz Richards, Fede Bessone, Daniel Alfei, Vangelis Moras, Lee Lucas, Andrea Orlandi, Tom Butler, Gwion Edwards, Craig Beattie, David Cotterill, Joe Walsh, Ben Davies, Kurtis March, Casey Thomas.

http://www.swanseacity.net/page/Latest/0,,10354~2484495,00.html?

WhiteJC

Swede target up for grabs for Cottagers

Rosenborg full-back Mikael Lustig, a reported target of Fulham, has admitted that he expects to leave the Norwegian club this season.

As we reported a week ago, the 24-year-old Sweden international has been attracting the attention of the Cottagers, Championship high-flyers Southampton and Spanish sides Espanyol and Racing Santander.
Fulham sent scouts to watch Lustig in action for his country as they defeated Holland 3-2 in their final Euro 2012 qualifier last week and, as he approaches the end of his Rosenborg contract, the player is certain that he will be on the move.
He told the Swedish evening newspaper Expressen: "The only question is whether it is England, Spain or Italy. I know there are some clubs following me and who have watched international matches."
When he was asked about when that move will happen he added: "I do not know, but I hope something is done before December."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/swede-target-up-for-grabs-for-cottagers-1313140.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham 'not good enough to win' - Jol

MARTIN Jol admits his side were simply not good enough to win at Stoke City on Saturday.

The Fulham boss seems no nearer to solving his team's shyness away from home than previous managers after Saturday's 2-0 defeat in the Potteries.

Four away games have yielded only one point so far – with two late goals at the Britannia Stadium again ruining an awayday.

"I think we contained them well for 80 minutes and we had a couple of chances over the whole game, but I don't think we played well enough to win here," Jol conceded.

"I think we had the quality to do well here because we are pretty solid and we contained them, but we gave away unnecessary free-kicks, which you shouldn't do against them.

"We played well the first 20 minutes, then forgot to play, because you have to fight them and defend against them and it's not easy on this pitch to play our football.

"In the last 10 minutes, you know what their strengths are - with the throw-ins and set pieces – and we probably have to work on that. But to give it away in the last 10 minutes is harsh."

Jol added: "You know in the last 15 minutes if you don't score, they could probably score from a situation like they did."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/10/17/fulham-not-good-enough-to-win-jol-64767-29609149/?

WhiteJC

Barcelona tie down Fontas
Highly-rated defender signs new deal

Barcelona have ended any speculation about Andreu Fontas by agreeing a contract extension with the defender that will keep him at Camp Nou until 2015.

Fulham and Blackburn Rovers were among a number of clubs linked with the 21-year-old centre-half in recent weeks, but the Blaugrana have moved swiftly tie him down to a long-term deal.

The youngster has impressed since breaking into Pep Guardiola's first-team squad on a permanent basis in March and the new agreement sees his buy-out clause rise from €30million to €70million

With injury concerns at the back for the Spanish and European champions, the news will be a boost as Fontas is seen as a future partner for Gerard Pique.
After joining Barca in 2006 the 1.85m-tall Fontas spent three years in the Blaugrana B side where he impressed Guardiola during the coach's stint in charge of the young team.

Despite featuring regularly in pre-season during the summer, Fontas has only appeared once this season when he played in a 2-2 draw at Real Sociedad last month.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7247604,00.html?

WhiteJC

Reserves Face Swansea

Fulham's Reserves return to action on Monday evening when they face Swansea City at Parc y Scarlets (Kick-off 7pm).

Billy McKinlay's Whites last saw competitive action almost two weeks ago when Marcello Trotta netted four goals in a comprehensive 6-2 victory over Norwich City at Motspur Park.

The Italian striker will be looking to continue his impressive form tonight – having netted nine goals over the last three games.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/ReservesFaceSwansea.aspx?#ixzz1b3KWZQLv

WhiteJC

We need more, not less promotion and relegation

Close off the Premier League?

Honestly, I'd go the other way and open the thing up.

The rewards on offer are so great that millions upon millions are spent by desperate Premier League clubs who will do anything to stay where they are.  Some clubs (Wolves did it once, I think, Burnley and Blackpool have been shrewd) can make a profit from the silly TV money, the rest write the disappearing zeroes off as the cost of doing business and keep on keeping on like a drunk guinea pig stuck on a hamster wheel and starting to feel a bit sick.

Clubs in the bottom half of the league fight like anything to stay there, and the clubs in the Championship spend over the odds to try to get there.  (But, like our hamster wheel, it's not that good really, particularly if you can't enjoy yourself like you could before you got stuck on the wheel).

Sometimes we need saving from ourselves, and here's the answer: not less but more promotion and relegation.  Let's be adventurous here: if, every season, you promote and relegate six teams from the Premier League what do you do?  You lower barriers to entry.  You lower risk.  You spread wealth.  You make life more interesting, too.

Where's the downside?

It'd never happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/we-need-more-not-less-promotion-and-relegation/?