watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My thoughts of the game

Started by Andy_M, October 24, 2011, 11:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_M

So I was going to post last night but I thought I'd sleep on it and perhaps watch the highlights back etc. before posting.
My thoughts are as follows:
1. We were absolutely shocking defensively for the first 20 minutes, Rise was constantly exposed to Drenthe by Dempsey not getting back etc.
2. I'm sorry but for me Baird cannot play CB in the Prem he is just too small. Love the bloke, and think he has turned into a quality player but for me isn't a Prem standard CB. But wanting to end on a positive note about him some of the cross field balls he played were outstanding!!!
3. Rise is not fit enough. He is carrying probably a stone in upper body weight. Did anyone else see him make a run towards the end of the first half have his cross blocked and then walk around with his hands on his hips for the next 5 minutes. It was shockingly embarassing!  :doh:  Type of thing you see up the park on Sunday mornings not from a professional footballer!
4. Murphy was shocking. Doesn't look interested in playing for Jol and was probably glad to be substituted. I know everyone thinks he's captain fantastic but I've been saying for some time now on here that he's past it and that we should have replaced him in the summer (and I'm aware I'll probably be crucified for that) but he really hasn't looked interested at all this season for me. Jamie O'Hara would have been a fantastic replacement and very good value for money, what a buy for Wolves he's looking now!
5. Jol's tactics are beyond confusing! We had 4 strikers on the pitch for the last 30 minutes, yes I'm happy this showed intent to win the game, but the tactics are just ..... well I don't even think there is any!
6. What a bloody goal by Ruiz! In some of the youtube clips of him that have been posted on here he scores a couple of chips like that and well it just showed that he can and will produce his class in the Prem given the time.
7. Yes Bobby's miss was shocking, but what was more shocking was his performance in general. He is either not fit or just can't be bothered to play for Jol. I like everyone else have heard the rumours of his bust up/fisty cuffs with Jol but he hardly made 1 run off the ball in the whole game, didn't look like he wanted the ball, barely made himself available as an option, when the ball was played through to him he made a half hearted attempt to run after it, he didn't close the ball down etc. etc. Just terrible. I am a big Zamora fan and i was very very disappointed to see a performance like it.
8. (wanted to end on a positive) I thought Sidwell again had a good game and is certainly putting in the yards for the team. Also i was impressed with Dembele, yes we all know he's good on the ball and can go round players for fun (usually in the wrong direction unfortunately) but yesterday he looked like he's starting to go forward with the ball more and get his head up and look for that final pass.

Sorry that was a bit of a essay but hopefully others out that feel the same or am I on my own?
@got_maile

Lighthouse

Generally I think most people would agree with the comments. Although Dembele remains the most frustrating player to watch. Beat three players once and go back and do it again. Still I am glad it looked as if he was looking to lay the ball off. Agree that Sidwell looked useful. Shame that Murphy had another really off day.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy_M

Thanks Lighthouse.
Murphy just doesn't look the same player to me this season. Whether this is because he is past it or because he doesn't like Jol's tactics or something else, I guess only Murphy himself will know.
Still laughing to myself at how unfit Riise is though. Myself and all the guys around me could not believe how embarrassing it was!
@got_maile

Reindeer

I agree with what you are saying.  I've stood up of for Phil Senderos in the past on here, only to be slated.  He is a far better centre back than Baird and has the potential to get better.

Everton's tactics are negative and the game didn't deserve such an emphatic scoreline in their favour.  We'd all be in a different frame of mind if Bobby's shot was on target, but we have to keep positive and get our season going again.

ScalleysDad

I did'nt know which thread to respond to so I 've ruined this one. Just got back from the game, bit of a detour along the way, and I have to say with 24 hours to mull it over I think you may have something. Interestingly Murphy was off on the hour, its getting earlier, and as a side show Kelly and Duff were running their socks in the longest warm up I have seen for ages. I felt certain both would come on, one for the wheezing Riise, and the other for Demps who went awol for most of the second half. Agree about Baird but why was Senderos not starting. I don't think he has done much wrong when he has started. Bairds petulence will be his undoing as his yellow card was pointless. A big plus for the Dembele disciples was his harrying and hassling for the ball and coming away with it. Yet to resolve the head down and run like a loon thing though. What to do with BZ and AJ. BZ looked bored and AJ did what AJ does and worked hard although why he was encamped out wide goodness knows although it might have been to simply upset Baines. When will we learn that trying to hit the ball long and high to him and Demps is daft at the best of times let alone when the two covering defenders are 'Jags' and Distin. The QPR goals and the penalty came from playing the ball to feet and into space.

The Key thing for me was the players body language. The pre match warm up looked stop/start, there was alot of shoulder shrugging during the first half, the second half they came out in dribs and drabs and they went off pretty darn quick. Aaron Hughes was off before the whistle had finished. None of the 'rested' players made the grade I'm afraid but if thats what Ruiz can do and Jol is confident about Gecov, Kassami and the obvious frontman target for January then perhaps I wil quell my urge to yell "JOL out now" Whatever the tactics and game plan were for yesterday I for one was completely baffled, we made the pitch so narrow, yet another team we should be beating gets the better of us albeit in a haze of bewilderment. The pictures of the faces shown on MOTD 2 post BZ miss are classic.

HatterDon

Thanks for your good analysis, sir. I'm not as enamored of Sidwell as others, but I'm glad he's in the squad.

As for Senderos, I believe he's been crocked since his most recent international callup. I could be wrong about that.

Mr Dad: your first lilne is priceless. Thanks for the chuckle.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

millsy

Very disappointed after the match, obviously but thinking back, it wasn't that bad and we very nearly won the thing, which would have sent us all home buzzing. Both teams had good chances; they took theirs and we didn't.

I know we created many of our own problems on the day, particularly with the room we gave to Fellaini, who is bloody good but it seemed to me every loose ball fell to them. Some weeks you're lucky (everything went in v QPR, as with Spurs in cup last year), some weeks you just have to soldier through as best you can (Danny's shot off post and Howard's head, then over bar!).

Reasons to be cheerful, are 3.

1. Ruiz is a class act and I think he'll offer something different as he settles in and becomes first 11 regular.
2. We have a pretty decent core to the side, with Swartz, Hangs, Sidders and Bobby and the rest aren't bad players either.
3. Dembele finally looks to be fulfilling his earlier promise and if he can keep injury/clogger free, he's going to frighten defences and create chances for others

Causes for concern, which I see every week.

1. Our midfielders seem content to run towards our goal to play one-twos with Hangeland then leave him to look for a forward pass, which ain't his strength nor his job!
2. Our wingers and overlapping full-backs always cut back, slowing the attack down and allowing the oppo to cover. We badly need them to drive for the byeline and try to get balls across the face of the goal
3. Our tactic of floating balls up for AJ, Demps & Co. is suicidal and these man-mountain defenders that everyone seems to have these days, must think it's their birthday!

If we can sort a few things out and play to our strengths by being more positive going forward, I think we'll be fine. fingers crossed!

Millsy

MrFantastic

when you are sat in row Z and the ball hits your head that's Zamora
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

Tom

Quote from: MrFantastic on October 25, 2011, 04:25:20 AM
when you are sat in row Z and the ball hits your head that's Zamora
LOL
Fulham for life!

millsy

The Equalizer

Quote from: Reindeer on October 24, 2011, 03:43:32 PM
I agree with what you are saying.  I've stood up of for Phil Senderos in the past on here, only to be slated.  He is a far better centre back than Baird and has the potential to get better.

Everton's tactics are negative and the game didn't deserve such an emphatic scoreline in their favour.  We'd all be in a different frame of mind if Bobby's shot was on target, but we have to keep positive and get our season going again.

I think Senderos, while a good defender, is also a liability. Some of his errors are horrific. How come everyone seems to have forgotten about Aaron Hughes? Still our best option at the back with Hangeland.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Snibbo

I had a dodgy stream and GJ's commentary, so I'm wary of coming to conclusions, but I will anyway, coz this is a place to express opinions, right?

I can't see the value of Sidwell.

Yes he's box to box, BUT:

a) his tackling is not great
b) he can't shoot to save his life
c) I can't remember any really incisive passes.

So for me, I'd ditch him and return to the proven Etuhu / Murphy partnership. At least Etuhu provides effective midfield break up play, and better defensive cover.

Discuss.

Andy_M

Interesting view Snibbo.

I'd have to say that for me Sidwell has been one of our assest this season and it would be Murphy I'd be dropping. Don't know how others feel on that one though.....
@got_maile