more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (31/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 31, 2011, 06:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Hughes Injury Update

Missing from our line-up yesterday, Martin Jol has given a quick update on the injury status of Aaron Hughes.

Speaking about his valued defender, Jol has commented,

"Aaron is not injury prone, but he has had that injury before. We think he could be out for a couple of weeks."

Let`s hope Aaron is soon back and playing hispart in our defence!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=260807#ixzz1cL8Rqo1G

WhiteJC

He`s a Midfielder!

Bryan Ruiz may have gotten only a cameo role at Wigan yesterday but his career in England is slowly getting going.

His spectacular first goal in English football augers well and Martin Jol, following that strike and ahead of the great victory at the DW Stadium yesterday, has praised his most expensive signing, commenting,

"You could say that his goal against Everton was a sign for everybody else, as I knew what he was capable of."

"He has an excellent quality of setting up goals, and can also score goals."

"It can take time to settle in I felt like I had t protect Bryan and he realises that."

"There was too much pressure on him. He was not an English player and he needs to know that it is not only about scoring and setting up goals."

"He is a midfielder, not a striker. In Holland, he scored more goals than any other midfield player."

"When he came here, people thought he was an out and out striker, but he is a midfield player."

"He can play out wide, or he can play as an offensive midfielder."

Okay Martin, we get the point - he`s a midfielder!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=260806#ixzz1cL8fASAb

WhiteJC

Wigan Spooked at Halloween

Three points at the DW must not mask a real horror show from the Whites. Schwarzer and the woodwork spare Fulham's blushes against the bottom club.

A week after tossing aside three points at home to Everton, Fulham contrived to stay out of the bottom three with one of their worst performances in recent memory. The Whites managed their first ever away win at Wigan on a day when over half the first team failed to turn up. How different today's forums would read had Mark not been in superb form, the woodwork not twice come to Fulham's rescue, and Wigan found some composure in front of goal.

Our first away win of the season should fool nobody. As for the gaffer, unless he wants to be considered a laughing stock, it is unwise to stand up in the tunnel after the game and tell the nation 'Dembele was terrific today, he only needs to be scoring more and he would be the complete package.' That's like telling me to spend my Sunday afternoon mugging up on 'Computing for Dummies' and tomorrow I'll be the new Steve Jobs.

Let's get this straight. I defy anyone who witnessed the performance to disagree. Dembele played like an ineffectual eleven year old. He was truly awful in the midfield mire that seems to be Jol's totally inappropriate way of setting the team up. No width whatsoever yet again! Two things happen across the park in scrappy play. If Dembele is competing for a 50-50 ball he will either lose out or foul the opponent. Look at the yellow cards we are attracting right across the team. They are a product of frustration at our inability to retain possession and ageing legs now arriving fractionally late to the ball. Repeat offenders: Murphy, Duff, Etuhu, Sidwell, Riise, AJ and Moussa. The one player who expects to get battered every game, Bobby Zee, rarely draws a card despite his obvious frustration with Jol's tactics.

Just what is our manager trying to do to with Bobby's state of mind? You run your legs off trying somehow to find space within Fulham's ultra-narrow set-up. You tirelessly offer yourself as the target for balls that never arrive (mostly it seems from Brede). When you do turn the defence and gallop off down the vacant wing, what results?

Utterly against the run of play, our opener laid on a plate for Clint and a second half sizzler at full speed that clips the bar! And what is Bobby's reward for all this endeavour? Ten minutes from time with the result still very much in the balance, you, the one forward showing any hint of threat, are pulled from the game. Bobby's face said it all when the board went up...while the likes of the abject Moussa and ineffectual AJ stay on the pitch. And please don't jump on me 'cause Dembele poked home on 86. It was soft, al Habsi should have kept it out.

If you need a mirror of how this game panned out, check the stats. Nine Wigan corners, we forced NONE. The home side had 70% possession to our 30%. I don't recall al Habsi having a serious save to make. AJ is neither a winger, nor any longer a potent finisher. He got away twice on the right side of the box. The first saw a powder puff effort straight at the keeper, the second was neither a shot on target nor the cut back that was called for. Just a wayward effort into the side netting. People say he worked hard. But I don't want to see a £10 million pound ex-England international striker having to tidy up on defensive duties in the right back position! That was happening all too frequently - once late on where AJ forgot he no longer has a quicksilver touch - and he carelessly ran the ball out for a corner.

If on dissecting the match video yourself Martin, the above example does not spell out that something is horribly wrong with this current team, then we are all adrift in the lifeboat. I have today had the luxury of listening back to the international feed commentary of the game. Don't know who was on duty for the EPL, but their observations of our play were bang on the money! I'm hoping our U.S. followers can back this up. Consistently too narrow, no progress up the left flank at all, Riise looking overweight, slow and a liability throughout. A wretched inability to string more than three passes together. Dembele too easily brushed off the ball. Hangeland repeatedly bringing thr ball upfield towards half-way and having NO ONE to pass to. Our forwards too often static, Danny being caught in possession, AJ running like a headless chicken...these are not my thoughts. All of the above came from the commentary box at Wigan.

From previous blogs you will see I'm prepared for a season of transition, and as a Fulham fan of more than 50 years standing, I'm well used to lowering my expectations. Nothing should dilute the joy of entering the ground when it's packed, as it will be on Sunday for Spurs, and realising we are competing at the top table of English football at the picture postcard perfect Craven Cottage. It wasn't that long ago we were taking long coach trips up to Wigan to stand on a grass bank watching a Fulham side that was as wretched as the winter weather.

I can take the disappointments and defeats. Honest pros putting in a solid shift will rarely draw scorn from my pen. But were I back in the press box as a cub reporter doing the old marking system on teams neither Riise or Dembele would have rated more than a 3 out of 10 for their performance yesterday. You can be many things as manager of Fulham Football Club Martin Jol, but do not for one second think you can pull the wool over our eyes. We are not the blinkered, myopic glory hunter fans seen elsewhere in the Prem. We know when things are not right.

You have an opportunity this week to experiment with the side. If you picked an entire second string eleven for Wisla and we lost, I don't think that many fans would be too upset. Not if it gave us 90 minutes to see just what Gecov, Kasami, Trotta, Frei, Briggs, Donegan, Ruiz and the rest are made of. Be bold. Field those seven along with Mark in goal, Brede as captain, Grygera and Baird to lend an experienced hand at the back, and let's see what happens. Be smart with the press and get the crowd on your side. Appeal to the fans to get behind the kids and really make the atmosphere special. Fulham fans have a great tradition of supporting youngsters when they break into the side.

Just don't come out and tell us someone is terrific when all we see is trash. Put out the same personnel with the same game plan Sunday against Spurs and we will get taken to the cleaners. Now surely you don't want to suffer that against your old club Martin. Do you?

Thanks to all those who did pull their weight Saturday, three badly needed points. A special word for Clint's landmark goal that now ties him level with Brian McBride on 36 goals in England's top flight. I'm expecting some buzz back for the above...Don't be shy!

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/10/wigan_spooked_at_halloween.php?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with move for Kyle Naughton
by DAN on OCTOBER 30, 2011

The People today links Fulham with a move for Tottenham full-back Kyle Naughton.

The former England under-21 international has spent the season on loan at newly-promoted Norwich and has impressed Canaries manager Paul Lambert with his performances so far. On the strength of his nine games to date, Lambert is keen to try and conclude a permanent deal with Spurs for the 22 year-old right back. But the People suggests he will face strong competition from the likes of Sunderland and Fulham.

Dave Kidd cites Jol's failure to settle on a regular right back as evidence for Fulham's interest. Jol did bring in Zdenek Grygera from Juventus on transfer deadline day and also has Chris Baird, currently deputising for the injured Aaron Hughes at centre back, as an option at full-back. Whether Harry Redknapp will be happy to let Naughton, who signed from Sheffield United in July 2009, leave remains to be seen.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/fulham-linked-with-move-for-kyle-naughton/?

WhiteJC

Hughes 'out for a couple of weeks'

Fulham could be without Aaron Hughes for another fortnight, according to manager Martin Jol.

The former Northern Ireland captain had been sidelined with a thigh problem before making a return to first team action earlier this month and aggravated the injury in his brief appearance as a substitute in last weekend's 3-1 defeat by Everton at Craven Cottage. The experienced centre back could face another couple of weeks on the sidelines.

Aaron is not injury prone, but he has had that injury before. We think he could be out for a couple of weeks.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/hughes-out-for-a-couple-of-weeks/?

WhiteJC

Murphy makes us tick

One of Martin Jol's first tasks on taking the Fulham job was reshaping an ageing squad. Roy Hodgson had banked on experience ever since he embarked on what seemed like a doomed rescue mission at Christmas in 2007 and stayed true to the same policy as he sought reinforcements as his resources were stretched by such a memorable European run. Jol had stated his intention was to sign younger, talented players but he has – for the most part – stuck with the tried and tested personnel in the league.

Jol has earmarked Marcel Gecov, who had a decent debut in the League Cup at Chelsea, as the long-term successor to Danny Murphy at the heart of the Fulham midfield. Some Fulham fans thought Lawrie Sanchez had signed a busted flush when he turned to Murphy, struggling to get a game at the end of the summer transfer window, but the skipper's been one of the club's most consistent performers and – like Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird – shows that Sanchez had a decent eye for a player. Still, there's been plenty of talk that Murphy, now 34, might be fast approaching the end of his career at the top level, with his legs simply unable to deliver the sort of all-action performances that were once his trademark.

But Murphy's influence has always been greater that the simple sum of the ground he covers. He is a reassuring and organisational presence in a Fulham midfield that is often overrun without him. Now playing in a much deeper role than he did during that long spell with Liverpool, Murphy's defensive qualities are often overlooked. He frequently provides a shield for Fulham's defence and, now playing in a midfield that is often without the physicality of Dickson Etuhu, the success of his tackling can't be overlooked. The skipper has made 22 tackles this season, second in number only to Steve Sidwell, and has won more than 81% of them. He has also interception 14 opposition passes.

Murphy's passing remains his best asset. The stats underscore this point. He's completed 600 passes already this season and has a success rate of 81.8%. Even deployed in a much more defensive role, he can still start attacks and create chances. Only David Silva, who must be an early candidate for Player of the Year, has created more goal chances for his side than Murphy – whose superb raking pass unlocked a surprised Wigan defence yesterday afternoon. Indeed, his part in the opening goal at the DW Stadium underscored just how vital he remains to this Fulham team. With his side under the cosh after a prolonged period of Wigan pressure, Murphy received the ball from Brede Hangeland and released Bobby Zamora with a perfect crossfield pass. He repeated the trick with a lovely lofted ball for Zamora in the second half, that almost delivered another goal.

As his chalkboard shows, Murphy's forward passes were largely successful and he hardly wasted a ball:

by Guardian Chalkboards

While the concern about who replaces the captain is valid, it's far too soon to think about pensioning him off. Murphy's clever use of the ball engineered our best chances against Wigan and created the openings for a crucial win. He was close to scoring against Everton and was a critical part of our comeback against Manchester City earlier in the season. He was badly missed during his spell on the sidelines with a knee injury and if Jol is to persist with his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, it's clear that Murphy should be the linchpin of the midfield. After all, it seems he's the one who makes us tick.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/murphy-makes-us-tick/?

WhiteJC

Wigan 0-2 Fulham

Football: Wigan Athletic were once again left to reflect on a catalogue of missed chances after slipping to their seventh consecutive league defeat, as goals from Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele saw Fulham secure their first away win of the season.

Although the visitors started brightly, the best chances all fell to the hosts with skipper Gary Caldwell guilty of missing the target from a free header eight yards out after Ben Watson had been brilliantly denied by Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer.

And inevitably it was Fulham who broke the deadlock four minutes before the interval through Dempsey, who turned home a Bobby Zamora cross following a devastating counter-attack.

Wigan came out for the second period determined to make amends but fortune continued to favour the visitors as Victor Moses saw his volley come crashing out off the upright with Schwarzer well beaten.

Maynor Figueroa was also denied by the woodwork in the closing stages after Zamora had rattled the crossbar for the Cottagers.

But with Wigan throwing everyone forward in search of an equaliser Dembele had ample time and space to put the result beyond doubt four minutes from the end.

"The stats tell the story" said Wigan manager Roberto Martinez.

"I'm not disappointed with the performance, but with our run, the result becomes even more important.

"It is not time to feel sorry for ourselves. It's time to try to improve ourselves, try to change the negative dynamic that's affecting us at the moment.

"I felt we were going to be the next team to score but we were punished while chasing the game.

"Once we get our first positive result, everything will change."

His opposite number Martin Jol was pleased with the away win.

"If you don't score you don't get the points," he said.

"We deserved to win because over the season we should have picked up four or five more points.

"We changed it around and put Moussa Dembele in midfield. I thought Moussa deserved to score, he was terrific."

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/111325?

WhiteJC

Latics 0-2 Fulham

The loss of another must win game heaps piles of pressure on the club, two sloppy goals conceded and chances not taken tells of a familiar story that, if not sorted out as a matter of urgency will see the Latics plying their trade in the Championship come next August.

Starting with the same eleven from last week's defeat at Newcastle the Latics took charge of the game from the off, Diame looking particularly sparkling in midfield, but two crude challenges on the Senegal international saw him having to leave the field after just 12 minutes being replaced by James McArthur.

In a first half that saw the Latics probe and prod they came close to scoring on a few occasions, Dave Jones should have at least hit the target when he got on the end of Boyce cut back, but he placed his effort wide of the post.

Watson hit a great effort following good work down the left by Figueroa and Crusat, Fulham keeper Schwarzer just tipping over at full stretch, from the resulting corner Latics skipper Gary Caldwell had a glorious chance with a free header from six yards dead central, unfortunately the Scotland international put his effort over the bar.

But against the run of play it was Fulham who went in front on 41 minutes, Bobby Zamora broke down the Latics right leaving Emmerson Boyce trailing, he crossed low in to the box and Clint Dempsey fired home from close range, 0-1.

The second half was exactly the same as the first, Latics dominating play, both Victor Moses and Maynor Figueroa hitting the woodwork with long range efforts before Mousa Dembele settled it for Fulham on 86 minutes, the Belgium international picked up a poor ball from Figueroa, ran at the Latics defence before firing home from 20 yards low to Al-Habsi`s right, 0-2 game over.

Tough decisions to be made, Wolves away next up.

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=260820#ixzz1cLAVOtgk

WhiteJC

Congratulations Clint

Amongst the gladness that victory brought at the DW Stadium yesterday, one of the two goals saw a record equalled.

When Clint Dempsey struck our vital first goal he equalled a record set by the legend that is Brian McBride.

Dempsey`s strike was the 36th Premier League he has scored which equals the record as the leading American goal scorer in the Premier League.

We`d imagine it won`t be too long before he moves ahead of McBride in the scoring stakes!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=260837#ixzz1cLAiQuaP

WhiteJC

Jol eyes improved home form

Fulham manager Martin Jol has admitted he was relieved to come away with a 2-0 Premier League victory at Wigan on Saturday.

The Cottagers had not won a game since their 6-0 hiding of QPR at the beginning of October, but goals from Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele sealed the three points at the DW Stadium.

The Dutch boss was pleased to pick a win on their travels, but insisted that home form is more important to lift themselves up from 15th position on the table.

He told PA Sport: "Everybody was waiting for a win.

"If your home record is great you don't have to win all your away games but we played against Wolves and against Newcastle and I felt we were a bit unfortunate, but we didn't score.

"We scored one goal when we were 2-0 down against Newcastle, so it was not enough.

"We had a cushion with the goal yesterday and that is what you need. You have to score goals."

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14287_7281991,00.html?

WhiteJC

Dempsey - We need to push on
Fulham midfielder delighted with victory over Wigan

Clint Dempsey: US international scored against Wigan at the DW Stadium

Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey was pleased with his side's first away win in the Premier League on Saturday and is hopeful of getting more confidence from it.

The Cottagers defeated bottom team Wigan Athletic 2-0 at the DW Stadium in what was their first victory on the road this season and only their second this campaign.

Dempsey scored in the match to take his tally to 36 league goals to equal Brian McBride's record of most goals scored by a US player in the English top flight.

However, the 28-year-old was more concerned with Fulham's win than his personal achievement and urged his team-mates to build on this success.

"I'm happy we got the points today and I'm sure people back home in the States like to see me doing well," Dempsey told Fulham's official website on Saturday.

"The good thing is that after losing at home against Everton we've bounced back with a win away today. Now hopefully we can push on.

"The funny thing is we've played some good football in the last few weeks and not got the results, whereas today we may not have played our best but we got the points. It's crazy how it works sometimes.

"Hopefully we can take some confidence from grinding out a result today and keeping a clean sheet. Now we've got to push on."

Martin Jol's Fulham are currently in 15th place with 10 points from as many games, four points above the relegation zone.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7281953/?

WhiteJC

Jol's relief at away success

Fulham boss Martin Jol is hoping his side can now kick on after claiming their first away win in the Premier League this season.

Jol's men beat bottom club Wigan 2-0 at the DW Stadium thanks to goals by Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele to move up to 15th place in the table.

The Londoners were desperate for the three points after only previously achieving it against Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage.

Jol said: "Everybody was waiting for a win. If your home record is great you don't have to win all your away games but we played against Wolves and against Newcastle and I felt we were a bit unfortunate, but we didn't score.

"We scored one goal when we were 2-0 down against Newcastle, so it was not enough. We had a cushion with the goal (yesterday), and that is what you need. You have to score goals."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jols-relief-at-away-success-1325083.html?

WhiteJC

Jol looking to kick on

Fulham boss Martin Jol is hoping his side can now kick on after claiming their first away win in the Premier League this season.

Jol's men beat bottom club Wigan 2-0 at the DW Stadium, thanks to goals by Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele, to move up to 15th place in the table.

The Londoners were desperate for the three points after only previously achieving it against Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage.

Jol said: "Everybody was waiting for a win. If your home record is great you don't have to win all your away games but we played against Wolves and against Newcastle and I felt we were a bit unfortunate, but we didn't score.

"We scored one goal when we were 2-0 down against Newcastle, so it was not enough.

"We had a cushion with the goal (against the Latics), and that is what you need. You have to score goals."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/10/30/Jol-looks-to-kick-on/gnid-115581/?

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Schwarzer: Fulham fear no one at Craven Cottage

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has told talkSPORT that their home form will decide how successful they are.

The Cottagers have won just 13 away games in six seasons, but have only been beaten once at Craven Cottage this season as well as going unbeaten against three of the Premier League's top four there last campaign.

And the 39-year-old Australian international has revealed that they fear nobody on their home turf, saying: "That has been the case ever since I have been at the club, whoever came to play us at Craven Cottage we've always felt we were in with a chance.

"That's the way football is and over the last three seasons we've caused quite a few upsets with the bookmakers' favourites.

"We don't fear anyone, there are some teams out there with fantastic players and you've got to show teams the utmost respect but anything can happen and we give ourselves every opportunity of getting a result."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1237/88/exclusive-schwarzer-fulham-fear-no-one-craven-cottage?

WhiteJC

I must do more to win England place, insists Fulham striker Zamora

Bobby Zamora admits he needs to improve to have a chance of filling in for Wayne Rooney at the European Championship.

The Fulham striker set up his side's first goal in the 2-0 win at Wigan on Saturday but was not happy with his performance and knows he needs to do more if he is to impress Fabio Capello and force his way into the England squad.

England play Spain and Sweden next month and with Rooney suspended for the first three games of Euro 2012 Zamora knows a place is up for grabs.

Looking good: Zamora clashes with Wigan's David Jones on Saturday

The 30-year-old said: 'I certainly need to play a bit better than that today to be anywhere near the squad. I did have an assist for the first goal, but I want to play better than that and I wasn't happy with my performance.

'I think goal scoring is what Fabio Capello is looking for in his strikers.

'You can work as hard as you like and the first season I came here, I did the role Moussa (Dembele) did today, which is sitting, screening and running around like a nutter.

'You don't get any credit for that sort of work unless you get a goal. That's what any striker is judged on and I know that's what I'll be judged on.'

Heading for victory: Clint Dempsey scores for Fulham at Wigan

Zamora made Fulham's first goal for Clint Dempsey, who became the joint-highest scoring American in Premier League history with Brian McBride on 36.

After the game Martin Jol claimed: 'There's not another wide player on the left in England who will be more productive than Clint' – maybe Gareth Bale and Ashley Young will have something to say about that – but Dempsey added: 'I am just happy to score goals to help the team out - especially today as we needed it the most, to get three points. Hopefully, we can push on from here because the aim is to finish in the top half.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2055392/Bobby-Zamora-says-needs-produce-England-place.html#ixzz1cLCZhR3I

WhiteJC

Fulham are fearless at the Cottage, says Schwarzer

Mark Schwarzer says Fulham fear nobody at Craven Cottage thanks to their outstanding home record.

The Whites grabbed a rare away win at Wigan yesterday, but their ten years in the top flight have largely been built around their performances at home. Only Everton have won at the Cottage this season and Fulham avoided defeat against three of the top four at home last season, so there is plenty of logic behind Schwarzer's confidence. The Australian goalkeeper, who also covered his international future and the emergence of David Stockdale in a wide-ranging interview, told Talksport:

That [Fulham's home record] has been the case ever since I have been at the club, whoever came to play us at Craven Cottage we've always felt we were in with a chance.

That's the way football is and over the last three seasons we've caused quite a few upsets with the bookmakers' favourites.

We don't fear anyone, there are some teams out there with fantastic players and you've got to show teams the utmost respect but anything can happen and we give ourselves every opportunity of getting a result.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/fulham-are-fearless-at-the-cottage-says-schwarzer/?

WhiteJC

Daylight Robbery at the DW Stadium – Wigan 0 Fulham 2

Wigan slumped to their seventh consecutive Premier League defeat as Fulham undeservedly snatched the points on Saturday. The home team dominated possession throughout and created numerous chances against a Fulham team who had previously not won away on their travels this season.

Wigan started in positive fashion with David Jones going close twice before Ben Watson drew an excellent fingertip save from Mark Schwarzer. Soon after Gary Caldwell had a free header from a corner and Victor Moses deflected shot was luckily saved by Schwarzer's foot.

It was looking as if it was only a matter of time before we scored. However, against the run of play it was Fulham who broke the deadlock. Bobby Zamora chased a long ball out of defence and crossed for Clint Dempsey to score despite Al-Habsi's getting a hand to the ball. The team in blue went into the half-time break wondering how they were behind.

The second half started in similar fashion with the Latics almost permanently camped in the Fulham half. Victor Moses hit the angle of post and crossbar and Maynor Figueroa the post with Schwarzer well beaten on both occasions. In between these attempts Zamora had produced a minor respite for the Cottagers when his shot clipped the top of the crossbar.

Martinez made a couple of tactical changes by withdrawing Boyce and Crusat and introducing Stam and Di Santo. Wigan's territorial dominance continued but the final killer pass and finish was not forthcoming. In the dying minutes, as we pressed for an equaliser, Dembele broke through the defence unchallenged before placing his shot past Al-Habsi to complete the scoring.

The statistics show that the result was a travesty of justice, Wigan had dominated the game with 19 shots against Fulham's 6. Possession was 62/38 in Wigan's favour.

Roberto Martinez was understandably incredulous in the post-match interviews. How had Wigan contrived to lose despite such domination? Martin Jol conceded that Wigan had at least deserved to get an equaliser. But also made it clear that taking your chances is so critical at this level.

In looking at the two sides, it is evident that Fulham have several players who will regularly score goals in the Premier League, Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson and Clint Dempsey. Whereas Wigan are still struggling to find a regular goalscorer. This season we have only scored six goals with Di Santo grabbing three, Diame two and Watson one, with both Rodallega and Moses yet to score.

In the last two games in particular we have created numerous chances but unless we have the forwards who can finish, we will continue to struggle. It is now becoming critical that we find a player who can finish off the numerous chances that we are creating.

Following the defeat the keyboard warriors were out in force on Saturday night – full of vitriol and looking for a scapegoat. Roberto Martinez is their main target, a man who is demonized for not doing as they say, a manager who is apparently ruining their Saturday afternoons.

Yet these people have little understanding of professional football, the tactics, the finances and the responsibilities involved.

It is important that these keyboard warriors should not be given any credence, their attempts to drive Martinez out of the club should be treated with disdain.

Roberto Martinez will be hurting after this result. There is no doubt that he has the best interests of the club at heart and he will do everything in his power to turn around our current form.

We have gone through similar bad spells in the past and there is no reason why we can't get through this current period and kick-start our season.

Next up are Wolves, another team struggling for points, something has got to give, let's hope it's a win for Wigan and a turning point in our season.

http://lets-hang-on.com/2011/10/30/daylight-robbery-at-the-dw-stadium-wigan-0-fulham-2/?

WhiteJC

WIGAN 0 FULHAM 2: BOBBY ZAMORA NEEDS FAB FACTOR

BOBBY ZAMORA paved the way for Fulham's win but admitted he'll have to perform far better to make the England squad for Euro 2012.

Fabio Capello handed Zamora, 30, a first cap in last year's 2-1 friendly win over Hungary and he was also in the squad for the 2-2 draw with Switzerland in June.

But even with five goals this season he feels he needs to start banging in more to impress Capello.

Zamora said after the defeat of Wigan: "I certainly need to play a bit better than that to be anywhere near the squad.

"I did have an assist for the first goal, but I want to play better than that and I wasn't happy with my performance.

"I have to work hard to improve and I know I can do better.

"It's always nice to score goals and I think that's what Fabio Capello is looking for in his strikers.

"You can work as hard as you like and the first season I came here I did the role Moussa Dembele did, which is sitting, screening and running around like a nutter.

"You don't get any credit for that sort of work unless you get a goal. That's what any striker is judged on and I know that's what I'll be judged on."

Clint Dempsey certainly was not complaining when Zamora laid on the opening goal.

The Latics were battering the visitors, with Ben Watson and Gary Caldwell going closest.

But Danny Murphy's diagonal ball picked out Zamora and he burst into the box before squaring for Dempsey to fire in.

Roberto Martinez's men continued to hammer away, with Victor Moses and Maynor Figueroa crashing efforts against the post.

However, Dembele broke away with three minutes left to add ­Fulham's second and secure just a 13th away win since 2005.

It was a seventh straight league loss for Wigan, who have managed just six goals in their 10 games.

But Martinez insists his squad have enough class to pull away from trouble.

He said: "They are good enough and it gives me huge belief and an exciting challenge ahead because we're better than any other season. In the last three years, this is the best squad that we've had."

Moses, 20, was outstanding once again, but Martinez is adamant he is not sweating on the big boys knocking on his door in the next transfer window.

The Spaniard has lost his best players throughout his reign at the DW Stadium.

But he said: "We wouldn't want to lose any players we've got.

"January is a period that we need to improve the squad, it's not a matter of losing the good players that we've got."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/218381/Wigan-0-Fulham-2-Bobby-Zamora-needs-fab-factor/?

WhiteJC

WIGAN 0 - FULHAM 2: BOBBY ZAMORA'S ON A TICKET TO RIDE FOR ENGLAND

BOBBY ZAMORA helped cure Fulham's travel sickness and immediately turned his thoughts towards booking his place on another plane – to next year's European Championships.

Striker Zamora's well-timed run set up Clint Dempsey to become the joint top-scoring American in Premier League history and set Fulham on their way to their first away win of the season. Moussa Dembele's second was the icing on the cake.

But with Wayne Rooney set to be rested for the forthcoming international friendly double-header, Zamora's delight was slightly tinged by the fact he did not manage to score.

"I certainly need to play a bit better than that to be anywhere near the squad," said Zamora.

"I did have an assist for the first goal, but I wasn't happy with my performance.

"I have to work hard to improve and I know I can do better.

"You can work as hard as you like and the first season I came here, I did the role Moussa did here, which is sitting, screening and running around like a nutter.

"You don't get any credit for that sort of work unless you get a goal, that's what any striker is judged on."

Wigan's seventh successive defeat came despite twice hitting the woodwork, with Victor Moses' effortless 25-yard dipping volley the most deserving.

The ex-Crystal Palace man was born in Nigeria and lived there until 11. But, having already represented England at Under-16, 17, 19 and 21 levels, Wigan boss Roberto Martinez believes he may soon have to ultimately decide.

He said: "You don't see many players like him in world football, an old type of winger who relies on his raw talent and who puts a smile on your face.

"He has been in England all his life but his background is Nigeria and his family is from there. It's a very difficult decision, he needs to do what his heart tells him."

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/280809/Wigan-0-Fulham-2-Bobby-Zamora-s-on-a-ticket-to-ride-for-England?

WhiteJC

Americans Abroad Recap: Jozy Altidore continues to win, Clint Dempsey ties goal record and Sacha Kljestan has big day

Altidore's AZ best in Dutch league

Jozy Altidore played 81 minutes for Alkmaar as the club beat SC Heracles 1-0 to go six points clear at the top of the Dutch Eredivisie. Altidore acquitted himself well in the match, and will rue missing a golden chance to get on the scoresheet in the first half, as he struck directly at the goalkeeper from Roy Bereens' cross.

Alkmaar dominated at mid-table Heracles, but was unable to find a way past the club's dogged defense.  In the first half, Pontus Wernbloom, Altidore, Celso Ortiz and Rasmus Elm all spurned chances to put their side ahead before Heracles missed its own opportunity when a deflected free kick from Willy Overtoom fizzed past the post. 

Altidore was withdrawn for Charlison Benshop in the 81st minute as Alkmaar pressed for a winner, and it finally came in the 89th minute. Wernbloom fed Adam Maher in the area where he beat two defenders and slid his shot past Pasveer to send the visitors into raptures. Alkmaar was nearly caught napping in the dying embers of the match, but Overtoom's 20-yard strike was dealt with well by AZ 'keeper Esteban Alvarado. 

-Aaron West

Dempse ties record with goal

Fulham was desperate for a win and Clint Dempsey was the man to help the club get it.

The Texan notched a goal in the 42nd minute after a nice set up from Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele grabbed the second in the 87th to give Fulham a 2-0 victory over Wigan, lifting the Cottagers up to 10 points on the season.

The Whites entered the game with two straight loses and teetered on the drop zone weekly, having notched only one league win all season.

For Dempsey, it was his fifth goal in all competitions this season and his 36th Premier League goal since joining Fulham four years ago. He is now tied with Brian McBride for the most career goals by an American in England's top flight.

With a crucial Europa matchup against Wisla Krakow on Thursday, the Cottagers need Dempsey to be in top form if they hope to progress.

-Matthew Braine

Howard, Toffees drop two straight

Tim Howard and Co. felt the power of two title contenders last week, losing to both Chelsea and Manchester United within a four-day span. First, on Wednesday, the Merseyside club was eliminated from the League Cup by the Blues 2-1, but Howard was given the day off in favor of Jan Mucha. On Saturday, Howard was back in action, stopping three shots, but an early goal from Javier Hernandez was all it took for the visitors to seal the win. Chicharito was left wide open and tapped in easily. Earlier, Howard stopped a tough shot from Park Ji-Sung. The veteran later halted shots by Danny Welbeck and although Everton came close to equalizing through Leighton Baines, a point was not in the cards.

Kljestan records goal and assist

Sacha Kljestan had a nice day as Anderlecht ran out a 4-0 winner and moved even further out in front of the rest of the Jupiler League. Kljestan assisted on his club's second goal in the 26th minute, sliding in Guillaume Gillet and 10 minutes later got on the end of a ball himself to notch his second of the season. Anderlecht is now six points up in the league and is also currently at the top of its Europa League group, having gained maximum points from three matches.

Friedel helps Spurs climb to fourth

Brad Friedel's Tottenham came out firing on Sunday, blitzing an inferior QPR club 3-1. Two goals from Gareth Bale along with another from Rafeal Van der Vaart sealed the victory at White Hart Lane. Friedel did let in a Jay Bothroyd header in the 62nd minute but was keen to stop a shot from Joey Barton late. The victory extended the club's unbeaten streak to seven and placed the squad in fourth, tied with Newcastle at 19 points apiece. Although the northern club owns an advantage in goal differential, the surge from Tottenham is encouraging. During this stretch, Friedel has kept two clean sheets and averaged less than one goal per contest.

Bradley plays full 90 in two games

Michael Bradley played 90 minutes in both matches for Chievo this week as his side continued its recent run of poor form. Despite dominating struggling Bologna at home, Robert Acquafresca's 53rd minute strike was enough to help the visitors to a hard-fought, but perhaps undeserved victory. The Flying Donkeys then traveled to Siena where a Mattia Destro double inspired the "other other" Bianconeri to a 4-1 shellacking.

Onyewu sits one out

Oguchi Onyewu watched from the sidelines as Sporting Lisbon demolished Gil Vicente 6-1 on Monday, but returned to the starting lineup for Sporting in the Sunday match away to Feirense. With Brazilian Anderson Polga laid low by injury, Onyewu stepped into the starting spot and helped his side earn a clean sheet, as second half goals from the wonderfully named Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Stijn Schaars carried the side to a 2-0 victory.

Chandler helps anchor strong backline

Timothy Chandler played the full 90 for Nuremberg as the club fell to the rampaging Bayern Munich machine 4-0 away. Gomez's second-minute strike was a sign of things to come as the home side enjoyed 78-percent possession and allowed Nurnberg only two shots on goal.  Gomez's brace either side of strikes from Bastian Schweinsteiger and Franck Ribery assured the victory for Bayern.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-americansabroadrecapjozyalt