watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hot Bryan flyin’ for Fulham

Started by FFCcravencottage, October 31, 2011, 07:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCcravencottage

After reading this article, maybe Jol see's Ruiz as a possible replacement for Murphy in the future.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3901021/Martin-Jol-talks-up-Fulhams-Bryan-Ruiz.html

MARTIN JOL reckons the floodgates will open for Bryan Ruiz now he has finally broken his Fulham scoring duck.
The 26-year-old midfielder cost £10.6million when he signed from FC Twente in the summer.

And the Costa Rican ace scored his first goal in their 3-1 defeat to Everton last weekend.

Boss Jol admitted he was relieved to see his flagship signing get off the mark and has backed Ruiz to shine against Wigan today.

He said: "You could say that his goal against Everton was a sign for everybody else.

"I knew what he is capable of. He has an excellent quality of setting up goals and can also score goals.

"In Holland, he scored more than any other midfield player. When he came here, people thought he was a striker.

"But he is a midfield player. He can play wide or as an offensive midfielder. It was a relief he scored even though I knew it would come.

"But it's about his vision and ability to play the killer pass."

richie17

i doubt there'll be a replacement for Murphy, simply because we can't afford that sort of player.  If Jol does get us into a 4-2-3-1 you don't need the Murphy - Jol wants a creative #10 who would play in that 3 with Ruiz +1, but it won't be a player with Danny's range of skills.  Then you have Gecov/Sidwell/Etuhu as more conventional midfielders.  We'll get there.  Jol just needs to somehow lessen our reliance on Murphy when in possession, which is tricky because he's so influential. 

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: richie17 on October 31, 2011, 08:13:29 AM
i doubt there'll be a replacement for Murphy, simply because we can't afford that sort of player.  If Jol does get us into a 4-2-3-1 you don't need the Murphy - Jol wants a creative #10 who would play in that 3 with Ruiz +1, but it won't be a player with Danny's range of skills.  Then you have Gecov/Sidwell/Etuhu as more conventional midfielders.  We'll get there.  Jol just needs to somehow lessen our reliance on Murphy when in possession, which is tricky because he's so influential. 

I dont get why people think we cannot get a younger murphy replacement because it would cost too much.

We could have gotten Yohan Cabaye who went to Newcastle in the summer, and he did not cost more than £8m, a perfectly reasonable price.

We just have to look abroad - Holland, Belgium, France, Italy all have good creative centre mids at decent prices.

And that is not even looking at Brazil or Argentina.

TonyGilroy

Of course we can buy in good midfielders but they won't run the team the way Murphy does. It's going to be more about the team learning to do without Murphy than finding a younger doppelganger.

Murphy orchestrates the team in a way that no one else has since Haynes. And that probably applies off the field as well as on.

White Noise

Ok, if we have say £10 million to spend on a ready made Murphy replacement which players do you think might fit the bill?

MJG

We got Murphy fairly cheap and I'm sure if one is out there we could pick up another one at a good price.
We are not going to find a 20-25 y/o to replace what he does but its quite possible another 29/30 y/o at the end of their contract or nearing it could join. Just because to us Murphy plays like a 8-10M pound midfielder don't mean we need to spend that to replce him.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 31, 2011, 09:55:05 AM

Of course we can buy in good midfielders but they won't run the team the way Murphy does. It's going to be more about the team learning to do without Murphy than finding a younger doppelganger.

Murphy orchestrates the team in a way that no one else has since Haynes. And that probably applies off the field as well as on.

If Jol gets his way, then we don't need a murphy replacement as mentioned above, we will be playing with a 'classic' no.10

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 31, 2011, 10:30:11 AM

If Jol gets his way, then we don't need a murphy replacement as mentioned above, we will be playing with a 'classic' no.10
I agree with that, because of the move away from the 2 central midfielders (1 holding-1 playmaker) its more a case of two deeper midfielders. Looking at Gecov & Donegan( in the reserves) thats exactly the type of players we have for those roles.

I see some name a replacement for Murphy who already play for us ( Dempsey, Ruiz, Dembele, Kasami)and none of them could play the role Murphy does in a 442 team.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on October 31, 2011, 11:01:54 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 31, 2011, 10:30:11 AM

I agree with that, because of the move away from the 2 central midfielders (1 holding-1 playmaker) its more a case of two deeper midfielders. Looking at Gecov & Donegan( in the reserves) thats exactly the type of players we have for those roles.

I see some name a replacement for Murphy who already play for us ( Dempsey, Ruiz, Dembele, Kasami)and none of them could play the role Murphy does in a 442 team.

I personally find the idea of moving away from a 4-4-2 quite exciting, like we are finally joining the 21st century and can experiment with more men in midfield.

If ruiz can be the No.10 that we are hoping for, then we should be sorted with the players we have  who will become defacto strikers in Dempsey and Dembele.