A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Style or Substance

Started by aussierod, November 02, 2011, 04:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

what do Fulham fans prefer, style or substance?

Style
9 (81.8%)
Substance
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 7

aussierod

Our 2 nil win over Wigan and the reaction on here made me think (and I'd love someone to perhaps put up a poll, if one hasn't already been done throughout the ages), what do Fulham fans prefer, style or substance?

So, assuming we will not be relegated as we hypothetically achieve enough points, would you rather we play attacking, passing football and lose (however still not relegated over the season) or a poor game where the other team dominates however we come away with the points?

I ask, as it seems we have been playing relatively well (better than most our opposition teams anyway) however have not been winning, so would you rather that we are the better team and lose or be the lesser team and win?
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

mrska

Love watching a Fulham team playing with style.  I know some games we have to grind out results, but i love it when we look like a well oiled machine..  makes me buzzzzz!

HatterDon

In almost every televised match I've watched over the last three and a bit seasons, the announcers have complimented Fulham's playing style -- "easy on the eyes" is a favorite description. I'm quite pleased about that.

Having said that, when you only have one win from NINE league matches, what I want most from a Fulham match is

THREE BLEEDIN' POINTS!!!!!!!!!!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BalDrick

Think without the fact the football can be very easy on the eye, I have to say for me by now Fulham would have jumped the shark* some time ago.

* This is an expression I've just learnt so I'm thrilled I've managed to use it - suspect our American posters will be aware of it already but maybe not UK posters (in which case bloody stupid time of day to do so...).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

AlFayedsChequebook

I am an idealist at heart, so give me good football any day of the week over the dross that the likes of Stoke and Wolves serve up

Mr_Moon

Good football can be good pragmatism too though. It's a shame that figures such as Sam Alladyce or long ball sides are often seen as synonymous with pragmatism in England (and wrongly too).

TonyGilroy

I'd willing travel 75 miles to the ground pick up 3 points and go straight home. Results are the absolute priority.

Not saying I'd be happy with Pulis/Alladyce tactics but I'd prefer that to constant losing.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 02, 2011, 05:50:53 PM
I'd willing travel 75 miles to the ground pick up 3 points and go straight home. Results are the absolute priority.

Not saying I'd be happy with Pulis/Alladyce tactics but I'd prefer that to constant losing.

I agree.

I like to think of myself as a football connoisseur (I'm not!) but I agree. It's surprising (I think) to the extent to which you can ignore a poor-ish performance and still enjoy a game if you win. An excellent performance on the other hand, but a losing one, is rarely enjoyable.

cmg

No point in being the most stylish side in the Championship. (Been there:done that)

However, might be worth remembering that, in a recent interview, Jol said that Dutch people 'would rather lose playing like Holland than win playing like Germany.' (I think this was a reference to their recent WC final appearance when they tried, and failed, to win like Visigoths.)

ImperialWhite

Quote from: cmg on November 02, 2011, 05:59:14 PM
No point in being the most stylish side in the Championship. (Been there:done that)

However, might be worth remembering that, in a recent interview, Jol said that Dutch people 'would rather lose playing like Holland than win playing like Germany.' (I think this was a reference to their recent WC final appearance when they tried, and failed, to win like Visigoths.)

He's an idiot then, no?

A trophy lasts forever, a performance doesn't!

Who knows where Hungary would be now had they won the 1954 World Cup, eh?

luckykat

How about playing with style at home, then grinding out away wins?

Rupert

Quote from: ImperialWhite on November 02, 2011, 06:01:26 PM

Somewhere to the east of Austria, I imagine.

:drums:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

cmg

He's an idiot then, no?

...Yes, I guess so. (He is certainly Dutch.)

Mind you - the Final of the 'Best Team Never To Win The World Cup' Competition - Hungary 1954 v Netherlands 1974 - would be worth going a long way to see.

mrska

Quote from: luckykat on November 02, 2011, 06:09:12 PM
How about playing with style at home, then grinding out away wins?
Spot on!

ImperialWhite

Quote from: cmg on November 02, 2011, 06:11:51 PM

He's an idiot then, no?

...Yes, I guess so. (He is certainly Dutch.)

Mind you - the Final of the 'Best Team Never To Win The World Cup' Competition - Hungary 1954 v Netherlands 1974 - would be worth going a long way to see.

Puskas vs Cruyff! That would be a fantastic game.

LBNo11

...I have a strange attitude, I still go to watch Fulham with the intention of being entertained.

I know for many the winning is the be all and end all these days, irrespective of the manner in which it is achieved, but that being the case I may as well give up my ST save a shedload of money and pick and choose the games on TV to watch when we win/draw, and turn off when it gets too much like watching an Allardyce side.

To put it another way if we had fat sam as a manager I would not renew my ST even if I knew we would win more than we lose, it is the manner we play that matters. My opinion, and obviously not everybodys...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Bronsons

I go for the emotion, and the moments that count above all are the goals, and you only really feel them if they mean something, i.e. win us a game, or get us back in a game, or snatch a draw at the death.

So results are more important for me.

Burt

Fortunately for most of the time I have been following the whites the philosophy has been one of entertainment rather than hoofball.

The MacDonald and Tigana eras in particular come to mind.

That said, it is points that count and whilst I prefer to pay to be entertained, any type of win counts, even the "didn't deserve that" type.