more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SMOKE BOMB IN THE JH STAND...

Started by MOR :, November 04, 2011, 08:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherry

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on November 04, 2011, 10:11:18 PM
was it a smoke bomb or a flare that was getting put out with a fire extinguisher? from where i was sitting it looked like they had flares which shouldnt of got into the ground, there was loads of Poles in the Riverside, how was they able to buy tickets in this part of the ground, think we need answers

The answer is simple mate. Once the tickets were released for general sale you could buy yourself max 6 tickets per member over the fulham website for any seats you wanted. Obviously they were advising if you're the Pole supporting Wisla you have to let them know so they can change your seats to Putney End but reality is..... you know.Probably many Poles just didn't bother that is why they were everywhere.

ImperialWhite

Couldn't really comment on the old 'elf'n'safety - there may well have been a big risk - but from the Hammersmith End it looked really cool. This is what proper European football looks like. To me, it looked pretty dramatic (ok, perhaps it would have been better done in the Putney End).

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2011, 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: Berserker on November 05, 2011, 08:28:32 AM
Another thing to remember in situations where there are fatalities and injuries they are often caused if a panic sitation arises and people die in the crush that is caused. This could happen even if there isn't a real fire but people think there is.

Very true, when you are sitting in that stand and all you could see was what looked like a fire started, panic could have started, I would have made sure I trampled a few poles with their colours clearly on show and faces painted on the way out.

Good idea, because it was definitely all of the Polish people in the entire stand which set off the smoke bomb, not just one or two idiots.

epsomraver

Yes the  answer is simple, if you buy tickets for away fans or neutrals in home areas they should be evicted  out of the ground and you should be banned, only way it will stop, see how many spuds fans are in home areas tomorrow there always is.

epsomraver

Quote from: ImperialWhite on November 05, 2011, 01:00:26 PM
Couldn't really comment on the old 'elf'n'safety - there may well have been a big risk - but from the Hammersmith End it looked really cool. This is what proper European football looks like. To me, it looked pretty dramatic (ok, perhaps it would have been better done in the Putney End).

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2011, 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: Berserker on November 05, 2011, 08:28:32 AM
Another thing to remember in situations where there are fatalities and injuries they are often caused if a panic sitation arises and people die in the crush that is caused. This could happen even if there isn't a real fire but people think there is.

Very true, when you are sitting in that stand and all you could see was what looked like a fire started, panic could have started, I would have made sure I trampled a few poles with their colours clearly on show and faces painted on the way out.

Good idea, because it was definitely all of the Polish people in the entire stand which set off the smoke bomb, not just one or two idiots.

Then why do they all suddenly start waving their scarves around to waft the smoke over the pitch, not orchestrated! No just one or two idiots, yeah right! I bet the Bradford fire looked cool from the other stands when it started!! bang head

Rupert

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2011, 01:25:41 PM

I bet the Bradford fire looked cool from the other stands when it started!! bang head

I seem to recall that it did, and there was a big fuss afterwards because there were people filmed cheering as the smoke started, and a few carried on even after the flames were visible.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

epsomraver

I suppose the bloke staggering across the pitch with his hair alight  "looked cool " as well? I despair of some the posts on here at times.

MJG

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2011, 02:44:48 PM
I suppose the bloke staggering across the pitch with his hair alight  "looked cool " as well? I despair of some the posts on here at times.
i can't believe  some of the views on here regarding the other night. From where i was sat all i  saw was smoke, a lot of smoke, i thought it was a fire and that it was in the the roof.
To joke about bradford  and other fires is sick.

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2011, 02:59:48 PM
i can't believe  some of the views on here regarding the other night. From where i was sat all i  saw was smoke, a lot of smoke, i thought it was a fire and that it was in the the roof.
To joke about bradford  and other fires is sick.
at last a voice of reason

The Enclosurite

Was in the Hammy End on thursday but normally sit in the Johnny Haynes and I know for one thing if I was in my normal seat I would've been watching that smoke like many others wondering if it was a fire or not and wondering whether if at any moment I would have to make a quick exit out of the stand somehow.  We have all seen the Bradford video and how quickly that stand went up so totally agree with the 'panic' comment above, injuries (or worse heaven forbid) could've happened whether it was a real fire or not.  I have to admit, my first thought was a fire.
¡COYW!

epsomraver

Quote from: The Enclosurite on November 05, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
Was in the Hammy End on thursday but normally sit in the Johnny Haynes and I know for one thing if I was in my normal seat I would've been watching that smoke like many others wondering if it was a fire or not and wondering whether if at any moment I would have to make a quick exit out of the stand somehow.  We have all seen the Bradford video and how quickly that stand went up so totally agree with the 'panic' comment above, injuries (or worse heaven forbid) could've happened whether it was a real fire or not.  I have to admit, my first thought was a fire.

I felt the same , but we should not have worried it's all part of being in Europe and added to the atmosphere  bang head

TonyGilroy

The most unsafe aspect of the Bradford fire was that there was no escape onto the pitch.

I was surprised that the match went on on Thursday without the referee even appearing to notice but in the event of course there was no danger. At the time, watching frm the riverside, I was concerned and thought strong action should have been taken. In the event the response was obviously proportionate.

MJG

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2011, 03:31:38 PM
Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2011, 02:59:48 PM
I suppose the bloke staggering across the pitch with his hair alight  "looked cool " as well? I despair of some the posts on here at times.
i can't believe  some of the views on here regarding the other night. From where i was sat all i  saw was smoke, a lot of smoke, i thought it was a fire and that it was in the the roof.
To joke about bradford  and other fires is sick.
at last a voice of reason

I work in the fire protection industry so know what damage both to buildings and life fire (and more often smoke to lives) can cause. Its not a joking matter.
My thoughts at the time of the game were, why is this game still going on, what are the people in the stand not getting out. The way the smoke was bellowing out of the rear of the stand and heading along it made me fear it was unseen from the seats within that stand.
I was high up in the hammersmith end so could not see the upper area of the seats where the Pole's were sat, hence my fear from the start that it was a fire.
Its got nothing to do with panic it bloody peoples safety first.

I surpose the same people thinking its all a laugh are glued to the news today watching the fire's on the M5 thinking that looks cool.

fulham pete

I was sat in G block very close to the source. It looked as if some **** lit a flare. The poles didn't seem concerned, theyv'e probably seen it all before. In a daft way that was actually a bit reassuring. However I reminded my son of the rule I set after Bradford, any sign of fire, head straight to the centre spot.

What nobody has commented on so far is the excellent response of the stewards at the scene. Two of the bigger guys cleared a path for the designated fire safety steward who extinguished any flames immediately. Possibly this lead to more smoke, but no fire.

Also at half time I saw a fire engine outside. Obviously somebody at the club had made the call - better safe than sorry.

I think the club must have been aware of the possibility of flares. Has anyone else ever seen a red jacketed fire safety on duty before?

epsomraver

Yes he is there every match day, safety requirement, Ian who is now press steward did it for years

Berserker

What do mean the centre spot fulham pete, do mean the centre of the pitch
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

finnster01

Still think there has to be better scrutiny at the gates when it comes to flares and the likes. It won't take much for a disaster to happen given all the wood, and if they get past the gate the cat is potentially out of the bag  :035:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

epsomraver

Quote from: finnster01 on November 06, 2011, 01:29:21 PM
Still think there has to be better scrutiny at the gates when it comes to flares and the likes. It won't take much for a disaster to happen given all the wood, and if they get past the gate the cat is potentially out of the bag  :035:

That's why they have stopped doing the Balti pies  :005: :005:

fulham pete

Quote from: Berserker on November 06, 2011, 01:01:50 PM
What do mean the centre spot fulham pete, do mean the centre of the pitch

Yes. It seemed the safest place for a 7year old to go just in case we lost each other.

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MrFantastic

I always had fun with smoke bombs flares back when I watched games in Bosnia, Croatia always fun specially with flares at night. Some say you should be able to watch football with your family at the stadium, but what chants can you use there no bad words or stuff like that. Football didn't became most popular game only because of the game but also because of fan rivalries and football fights and sense of being a part of a group and standing together. This is what football is. If you take Argentinian league for example with their decorate the stadium with papers and Eastern European fans throw flares and jump around in stands cheering while fans in England mostly sit and watch the game like they are watching a theater play. This is maybe more civilized way of watching a game but is it fun, sure smoke causes some discomfort but you are at the football game and for 90 minutes the only thing that matters is how well can you support your team there.
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.