https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

John Arne Riise On His Progress

Started by White Noise, November 09, 2011, 08:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Right at Home

Wednesday 9th November 2011

John, you're almost four months into your time at Fulham – how have things gone for you so far?

I think it has gone well for me so far, although of course, you always want more for your team and as an individual.

I don't think we have had the results that our performances have deserved at times, but the signs are certainly there. There is a lot of quality in this team and hopefully we can show that by moving up the table.

Personally, I'm happy with how I have played so far, but I do I think there is a lot more to come.

You spent several seasons with Liverpool prior to your move to AS Roma. Was a return to England this summer always the aim for you?

When I left Liverpool in 2008 I just felt like I needed a new challenge, a new country. Italy was an intriguing option for me and again, it was a move that offered me a chance to improve and to become a better player.

But after three years, I can't deny that the ambition was to return to England, the place where I feel I have enjoyed my most successful period as a player. The football in this country suits my style of play. I like to run a lot, fight, tackle; I love the passion, the fans and the pressure that you get from playing in the Premier League.

I don't think there is any other league in the world where you would find all that.

Your previous spell was particularly significant in terms of success and trophies won, but what are your targets now?

Of course, it is slightly different here because this Club is not necessarily expected to win trophies every season.

But there is a sense that with this group of players Fulham has the potential to win something – and I want to be part of that. The Club reached a European Final not too long ago and now we have to be looking at establishing ourselves amongst the top eight clubs in the league.

To see that happen and to do well in one of the cup competitions is the challenge here and it would give me great satisfaction.

You are also playing alongside your Norway team-mate Brede Hangeland – how highly do you rate him?

Well, he's one of the best, and he's done so well at Fulham. He is good in the air, good on the ball and reads the game really well.

We have played alongside one another for many years for the national team and we work well together – I know he wanted me to sign for the Club in the summer.

I play at left-back and he tends to play on the left of the central defensive pairing so we are very familiar with each other's game. He's become a big player here and hopefully I can do the same.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/JARiiseInterview.aspx#ixzz1dCF2AsII

White Noise

I do wonder whether the experience of playing alongside Hangeland so much for the national side is something Jol takes into account in favouring Riise at LB?  Does Hangeland have a better insight into covering for Riise than he does for Briggs?

filbertfish

With all due respect to Brede, he needs to learn to play with Briggs rather than Riise. Briggs is our future, Riise is past it.

finnster01

Jol brought Riise here. That's why he plays ahead of Briggs. It sure can't have anything to do with performance on the field or Riise would be lucky to find a seat on the bench.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Burt

Quote from: filbertfish on November 09, 2011, 09:06:51 AM
With all due respect to Brede, he needs to learn to play with Briggs rather than Riise. Briggs is our future, Riise is past it.

Yes, agree with this. Whilst we shouldn't be quick to ditch the experience that Riise has, we should not be too slow in bringing Briggs along.

MOR :

He looks slimmer in that photo than he does now...he must have put on a stone...

ron

The concern with buying "experience" is that you may also be buying a player who is just looking for a club to top up his pension. He flattered at first, but questions of weight (and certainly speed of late) add up to what might be a worrying trend....?

Berserker

Quote from: MOR : on November 09, 2011, 03:00:55 PM
He looks slimmer in that photo than he does now...he must have put on a stone...

Definitely looks alot slimmer... too many pies!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

The Bronsons

Quote from: Berserker on November 09, 2011, 05:01:24 PM
Quote from: MOR : on November 09, 2011, 03:00:55 PM

Definitely looks alot slimmer... too many pies!

Photoshop?

os5889

Done well for 2.5 million or whatever it was, better than Salcido!

MJG

Going back to Hangeland and Riise together, the one thing Hangeland does with Riise playing is to look for that ball down the line that gets behind the defending fullback. They must do that for Norway because every game they give it a go.