watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Moving to OZ!

Started by Gozorich, November 09, 2011, 03:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

One of my very closest friends was pressganged into moving to Sydney by his girlfriend. She was offered a good job at Reuters and gave him 3 days to decide whether to stay in Basingstoke earning very little in a dead-end job, or to turn his life upside down and move across the world.

He moved. Now he's a senior executive in a computer finance company (the same one he was working for in Basingstoke), they're married, have a massive house in Marrickville, 3 cars and a baby. Sometimes just taking that chance to change means that things can get better for you.

Go for it.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

BalDrick

Quote from: The Equalizer on November 10, 2011, 05:03:27 PM
One of my very closest friends was pressganged into moving to Sydney by his girlfriend. She was offered a good job at Reuters and gave him 3 days to decide whether to stay in Basingstoke earning very little in a dead-end job, or to turn his life upside down and move across the world.

He moved. Now he's a senior executive in a computer finance company (the same one he was working for in Basingstoke), they're married, have a massive house in Marrickville, 3 cars and a baby. Sometimes just taking that chance to change means that things can get better for you.

Go for it.

Wow - lucky guy. 3 cars and 1 baby, definitely the right way round!
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

Quote from: BalDrick on November 10, 2011, 05:17:23 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on November 10, 2011, 05:03:27 PM

Go for it.

Wow - lucky guy. 3 cars and 1 baby, definitely the right way round!

And a nose for wine! When I went to Oz for their wedding, we ended up doing 3 days in the Hunter Valley. I bought 4 bottles of wine and some port. He bought 40 bottles of wine.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

BalDrick

A much underrated product from those shores.

The Equalizer

Quote from: BalDrick on November 10, 2011, 05:51:00 PM
A much underrated product from those shores.

Aussie wine is my favourite mate (as I may have posted on here untold times). I still haven't managed to find a bottle of sparkling red in this country, if anyone knows anywhere that sells it I'd be very appreciative...

Burt

As ever with these sorts of life decisions there are going to be more reasons not to make the move than make the move, which combined with a natural inertia to change means many people don't do it.

My best man from my wedding emigrated to NZ 10 years or so ago, as a bit of an extreme reaction to his commute from Ipswich in to the City. The one golden bit of advice would be don't burn your bridges... He sold up lock stock and barrel to make the move. In retrospect he wouldn't have sold his house, he would have rented it out and have it available if the move didn't work out, and also so he wouldn't be stepping off the UK property ladder.

As it is he is stuck where he is now, but has just about got used to it and no longer hankers for home. He is hankering for Sydney instead...! His company he works for have an office there and it would be a better lifestyle for him than Wellington.

lamby

Quote from: Gozorich on November 09, 2011, 03:29:53 PM
I know this is taking liberties but the exiles board doesn't seem to function much these days.

For our Aussie members:

A young(ish) friend of mine has been offered a job in Sydney. He has a wife but no children and his take home pay would be about AusD 4000.

On a cost of living basis how would he fare compared to London where his take home pay is about
£1,900? His wife also earns but I don't know how much. She appears to be able to get a similar job in Sydney so I assume about the same disposable cash will be available in her case.

Sorry for boring non-Aussies!

No kids - do it. They might never get the opportunity to experience life in another country. I think everyone should do it. Move out of your comfort zone a few times in your life.

That is not a lot of money - tax takes a lot, but if that is the take home pay, he will also be getting 9% paid into Superannuation by the company (compulsory retirement savings - best thing country ever did and a major reason Aus did not really go into recession) - so his salary will probably be about $80k per year which is a bit low for Sydney. But that can change pretty quickly if he is not bound to the company.

Is he contracting or permanent? He can claim living away from home allowances and claim (from tax - pays for a fair bit of rent and an allowance for food as well!) re-location expenses - let me know if you want to know details

King_Crud

As someone who has moved the other way I would say do it, simply because you can. I have absolutely no desire to move back to Sydney, I can't stand the place. But it's what you make of it. I love London even though many don't, just as many love Sydney and I don't.

But if you're mate is earning $4k p/m before tax he'll have a hard time in Sydney. The place is stupidly expensive.

Gozorich

Thanks again. It turns out that the figure I quoted is a basic salary; he would reasonably expect to double it with commission which is what happens in the UK.

They are keen to go and he is still negotiating other terms but will definitely go if the deal improves. King Crud's comments show that the other man's grass is always as green as it seems.

Baldrick, the FFC S/T comment was my little joke. :005:

BalDrick

'Baldrick, the FFC S/T comment was my little joke'

I did wonder if it was but FFC is more than just a way of life to some people isn't it?

Please wish them all the best from me, even though I've never knowingly met them, must be really excited.