watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Moving to OZ!

Started by Gozorich, November 09, 2011, 03:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gozorich

I know this is taking liberties but the exiles board doesn't seem to function much these days.

For our Aussie members:

A young(ish) friend of mine has been offered a job in Sydney. He has a wife but no children and his take home pay would be about AusD 4000.

On a cost of living basis how would he fare compared to London where his take home pay is about
£1,900? His wife also earns but I don't know how much. She appears to be able to get a similar job in Sydney so I assume about the same disposable cash will be available in her case.

Sorry for boring non-Aussies!

finnster01

Unless he has had a lobotomy he should be looking for the airport. He's making less but living more.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Is that per week, month or year?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Burt

Blimey, I would hope that it is monthly!!!

michaelread

need to know if its per week or month, if its per week he will be doing VERY well for himself, if its per month, i'd say its somewhat close to the average wage, so life shouldnt be too difficult. Rent in sydney is ridiculous though.

Gozorich

Quote from: The Equalizer on November 09, 2011, 03:52:49 PM
Is that per week, month or year?

Per year?? Do you think he's a convict?

Per month actually.

Gozorich

Quote from: michaelread on November 09, 2011, 04:43:41 PM
need to know if its per week or month, if its per week he will be doing VERY well for himself, if its per month, i'd say its somewhat close to the average wage, so life shouldnt be too difficult. Rent in sydney is ridiculous though.

There's always his wife's salary to consider. She earns above average for women in the UK and should be better in Oz as her job is one that the Australian authorities have highlighted as there being a shortfall.

Thanks for your info.

michaelread

Quote from: Gozorich on November 09, 2011, 05:37:47 PM
Quote from: michaelread on November 09, 2011, 04:43:41 PM

There's always his wife's salary to consider. She earns above average for women in the UK and should be better in Oz as her job is one that the Australian authorities have highlighted as there being a shortfall.

Thanks for your info.

well, in Sydney rent is fairly high, but living expenses aren't too bad. Around 1000 a week is fine. I am a student, pay 100 a week rent, not including bills, and I live off about 260 a week, so 160 after rent. 1000 is more than fine, its just that finding a cheap place to rent in sydney is very, very hard.

1000 a week (take home after tax) is about 300 a week above average, I would say, based upon my experience working full time. Their only stumble will be rent, so no big issues.

Burt

I was in Sydney in April and was struck by how expensive it was, this coming from someone who lives in London...!

It is a top place though, and as with any city if you get off the tourist tracks then you can find it more reasonable...

os5889

Quote from: finnster01 on November 09, 2011, 03:38:23 PM
Unless he has had a lobotomy he should be looking for the airport. He's making less but living more.

Hit it on the head Mr Finn, as soon as I finish my accounting qualification Im outta here! Start my own business or get involved in someone elses!

18 months!

Gozorich

If he had had a lobotomy he would have taken your advice and leapt on a plane. However, as he has some intelligence he is, rightly, taking into consideration the effect it will have on them plus his and his wife' families and their own life-long friends.

It is a life changing scenario and only a fool would leap without looking. :49:

finnster01

Quote from: Gozorich on November 09, 2011, 07:59:19 PM

If he had had a lobotomy he would have taken your advice and leapt on a plane. However, as he has some intelligence he is, rightly, taking into consideration the effect it will have on them plus his and his wife' families and their own life-long friends.

Fair point mate, you need to do the due diligence. But I think it is a better life. But who am I to tell, I moved to the US so I may be biased
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

BalDrick

I've known a few people who have been to Sydney and, to a man, they've all said it's the most amazing city ever. Clearly this is reflected in the rent by the sounds of it but, well you can't take it with you can you? Personally I'd be there like a shot.

Married and no kids too, ideal time to go I'd say.

DO IT!!!
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

aussierod

Quote from: Gozorich on November 09, 2011, 07:59:19 PM

He'd be on around the average wage but he would enjoy the average wage much more than he would in London. With his and his wife's income they would be fine. If they had just the one income, supporting a wife and kids would make it a little harder but with just the 2 of them they should be more than fine. It depends on what they are looking for with accomodation and how long they would be willing to commute, could easily get a place on the east coast around say Randwick and they've had an amazing time, close enough to the city but far enough you feel like you've escaped it.
Food wise I think its possibly a touch more expensive but much more fresh, drinks wise, the beer isnt as good (with regards to variety) however we have some decent beers, however we have no pint glasses.
Without a doubt he should do it, even if just for the experience and opportunity to try something different. Worst case scenario, he goes down under, doesn't like it, they've lost a little bit of money but they've tried it. Thats a much better way to live than to regret not trying it. Best case scenario, he'll be moving to gods country (if they let him in)
Oh, last thing, just be aware of how difficult things will be on the family etc, but these things can be easily managed with Skype, emails etc so not a huge issue until there's a family emergency, then things get hard
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

BalDrick

'Without a doubt he should do it, even if just for the experience and opportunity to try something different. Worst case scenario, he goes down under, doesn't like it, they've lost a little bit of money but they've tried it. Thats a much better way to live than to regret not trying it.'

This, to me anyway, is the key. Do it or spend the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like. I'm now 44, two kids (11 and 8), plus I have no skill that would allow me into the country, so I'll never get an opportunity like this, but someone younger, with no kids, and the ability to do so, well it's up to your mate but IMO he'd be mad not to do it.

Hazey

I walked past a currency exchnage place in Melbourne the other day and now £1 will only get you $1.47 - there goes the house deposit I was saving back in England.

In 2002 when I moved over it was around £1 = $3.00!

Aussie dollar is strong at the moment.

Food and booze is expensive over here!
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

CorkedHat

When I was asked to come to Australia I doubled my salary and I was doing okay as it was.
It is true that the cost of living may be perceived to be more expensive in Sydney but the higher wages offset that. If you are not getting top dollar then don't go.
The other thing to remember is that coming to live overseas is not some extended holiday. You have all the normal problems that you have at home – work, money, mortgages, illness, relationships and so on.
There is a difference in culture, attitudes and lifestyles. Many people emigrate to Australia and then go home, disillusioned and hungry for their old way of life.
My initial contract was only for four years and it was always my intention to return to England when the contract expired, so for me I never felt locked in and somehow this made the adjustment to my new environs a lot easier.
As I mention in my book, just when my wife and I had decided that we would probably return to London, I was afforded another opportunity which led to me staying in Australia. As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you are making other plans."
Go with an open mind, embrace the way of life and don't take yourself too seriously and you might just love your new life.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Gozorich

Many thanks to all who offered advice and made comments, I have passed them on. He is a FFC ST holder which is another problem.
He has visited Sydney before and knows about the cost of living. He is renegotiating his package and if he gets a decent hike on his salary he is going. I encouraged him to give it a go.

Like Baldrick I regret passing on a few chances to move abroad when I was younger. You do live to regret it. I live abroad now but thats because I'm decrepit.

Thanks again 092.gif :wine:

BalDrick

'He is a FFC ST holder which is another problem.'

Sometimes think we make too much of a deal about that - how stupid would you have to be for that to be the reason you didn't go?

He might want to bring a bat, hell even his wife can bring one, looks like they need a bit of strength in depth!

'Like Baldrick I regret passing on a few chances to move abroad when I was younger.'

I never had chances I passed up, although perhaps I should have been a bit more proactive in my twenties and early thirties than sitting on my arse smoking spliffs and going to Fulham every other Saturday. No point regretting lost opportunities, just bore the arse off people younger telling them not to make the same mistakes, at which point they ignore us, then 10-20 years later realise they should have listened, then go on to tell people younger than them, who in turn ignore the advice until too late. Repeat until the world stops spinning...

epsomraver

Having visited OZ a few times i would jump at the chance to go and live there, when I look at the state of this country, the dustbin of the world, there really is no choice to be made, go for it, embrace the way of life and they will be fine, I had 2 cousins who went over back in the 60's one  became a real aussie, started working on building sites  and became a self made millionaire , his brother , who kept his double barrelled name who had lots of qualifications did not do so well