Started by White Noise, November 10, 2011, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/skysportsnews/story/0,,19494_7300220,00.html

Bobby on the sheet

Zamora would be in my XI to face World Champions, says Alan Smith

Last updated: 9th November 2011   

Zamora: sub against Swiss

Former England striker Alan Smith is backing Bobby Zamora to step in and fill Wayne Rooney's boots in Saturday's friendly against Spain at Wembley.

Smith believes the Fulham striker, who made his international debut against Switzerland in June, deserves a shot at the World Champions this weekend after scoring three goals in eight Premier League games for Martin Jol's side.

Aston Villa duo Gabriel Agbonlahor and Darren Bent (five apiece), Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge (four) and Manchester United's Daniel Welbeck - all included in Fabio Capello's latest squad - have matched or bettered Zamora's league return this season.

But Smith told Sky Sports News HD that of the quintet, he'd select Zamora first and foremost to stand in for Rooney, who has not been selected in this squad after incurring a ban that rules him out of the entire group stage at Euro 2012.

"I saw him [Zamora] play against Tottenham at the weekend, when he really gave a hard time to Ledley King and Younes Kaboul - two good centre-halves," said Smith.

"I like his movement; I think that has got better as he's aged. He's a powerful boy and his hold-up play is very good. Remember Emile Heskey played and how he linked with Rooney - the two went together well.

"I know Fabio Capello likes a centre-forward who can work those channels and push defenders back and Zamora can do that. I think he would be worth a shout on Saturday, I really do.

"Danny Welbeck is another option but if I was pushed I'd probably go for Zamora if you're going for that 4-3-3 which Capello quite often does; you've got to play three in the middle of the park against the best team in the world."

Create
That's not to say that Smith, who won 13 caps for England, is not impressed with the progress that Agbonlahor has made this season and would not rule either him or Bent out of Saturday's starting line-up.

"Agbonlahor, in particular, has made great strides," he said. "Quite often he's played out on the left so he's had to learn a little bit, adjust his game and he's done really well.

"He has shown ability to beat a man and create chances, quite often for Darren Bent, so I think Agbonlahor would certainly be worth a shout on Saturday.

"Darren Bent has had a number of chances and I think he has got better and better in an England shirt; he's got four goals now, he's led the line well.

"What he does, Darren, is play on the last line and he pushes defenders back and Wayne Rooney is in the team that has created room for Rooney. You know what you get with Darren Bent - he's always looking to get in behind and he's a fantastic finisher."

Occasion
FIFA remain adamant that England players should not sport poppies on their shirts during Saturday's friendly and Smith doesn't expect the England players to defy the rules laid down by the world's governing body.

"I don't think we should be at all surprised by what that organisation does - they continue to disappoint really.

"I think we are going to recognise the occasion [Remembrance Day] in a good way in terms of before the kick-off with a poppy on the pitch and the teams meeting members of the Armed Forces, which is nice. It makes a change from faceless figures that nobody recognises.

"I know the lads are going to have the poppies on their tracksuit tops. I'm sure the management have explained the situation; the lads will have seen it in the newspapers as well, the fact that FIFA have laid down the law, and they'll just get on with it.

"It's not something that they would really push for but it does mean a lot to footballers; I know that when they meet members of the Armed Forces they are always very humble and in awe almost of what these boys are doing for the country - going abroad and putting their lives on the line every day of the week.

"I think we all feel that way but when they are in the line-up and shaking hands with some of these boys that will be great but once the ref blows the whistle they will have other things on their minds."

Whiteroom

A rare bit of positivity from the press. I also like what has happened to Zamora's shirt in the picture.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/09/bobby-zamora-england?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

Bobby Zamora: Every time I get called up I've felt it's an audition

The Fulham forward hopes Fabio Capello will value his all-round game when picking England's Euro 2012 squad

Dominic Fifield guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 9 November 2011 22.00 GMT

Bobby Zamora, pictured at an Under Armour photo shoot, hopes Fabio Capello will give him a chance to impress against Spain. Photograph: Graeme Robertson

At first glance it is an audition, plain and simple. A chance to nudge the management into recognising underlying qualities and earn the right to stand in for a high-profile absentee. Impress at a heaving Wembley and the prospects of travelling to next summer's European Championship will be enhanced. The only problem facing Bobby Zamora is the calibre of opposition against which he is about to be tested. "There aren't any better out there than the Spanish," he says with a rueful smile. "Just getting a touch would be nice."

There will be nerves aplenty if the Fulham striker gains a second cap on Saturday, though the prospect of confronting the reigning world and European champions would bring the most experienced of performers out in a cold sweat. Vicente del Bosque's travelling squad for the friendly contains 20 of the party that prevailed in South Africa last summer. This is a team in which David Silva and Juan Mata, who have so illuminated the Premier League this term, can sometimes be rendered mere cavalry to be called from the bench. Wresting back the ball, whether from Xavi Hernández or Andrés Iniesta, Cesc Fábregas or Xabi Alonso, will prove onerous enough, so making an impression may be easier said than done.

Yet that is a task Zamora will approach with relish. There is a hunger to the 30-year-old that reflects an urgent desire to make his mark at this level, his international career having been frustrated by untimely injuries that denied him first a place at last summer's World Cup finals, and later an opportunity to build on his solitary appearance, the second half of the friendly against Hungary in August 2010. These days the only real legacy of the fractured leg that kept him out for more than five months last season is the occasional dull ache and stiffness in his ankle. His form leading the line at Fulham, with their extensive Europa League duties, has ensured he has remained in Fabio Capello's thoughts as the Italian contemplates life without Wayne Rooney in the group stage at Euro 2012. Zamora has qualities that make him a candidate.

The England manager was at Craven Cottage on Sunday as the home side's second-half rally was frustrated against Tottenham Hotspur. Yet Capello will still have been impressed at the manner in which the 6ft 1in forward unsettled the visitors' back line. He has earned his chance. "Every time I've been called up, I've felt it's an audition and an opportunity to prove myself with England," Zamora says. "I've been around the squad for the last year or so and I'm hoping now to prove what I can do. The gaffer has had other priorities up to now. He had to make decisions to make sure we qualified, and they've clearly proved to be the right decisions. They've got us there, job done. So there are no qualms about that from me.

"But the attitude does feel a bit different for these games. It's an opportunity. A tough one against Spain, for sure, because it wouldn't look as if they've got too many weaknesses at all. We'll find ourselves in the unusual position of being underdogs, which doesn't happen at Wembley very often. We'll have to tap into that, the underdog spirit. As for myself, I know the manager has lots of options up front, even with Wayne's suspension. Gabby [Agbonlahor] is back, Peter Crouch is not off the scene, and Jermain [Defoe] scored another instinctive one against us on Sunday, reminding the manager he's a goalscorer. There are people there desperate to play, so it's a case of making an impact if and when I get a chance. If I get that opportunity, I have to take it."

The forward's more industrious qualities will appeal to Capello. The Italian name-checked him in the immediate aftermath of the humiliating elimination to Germany in Bloemfontein – "We have Agbonlahor and Zamora, who is not young but was injured this time," the manager said the morning after the night before as he grasped at reasons for future optimism – and will appreciate the subtler aspects to his game.

The striker has not been prolific in the top flight with Fulham, West Ham United or Tottenham but he is a regular and selfless provider for team-mates. England without Rooney will presumably rely all the more heavily on the slippery qualities of players such as Ashley Young and Theo Walcott, who must be brought into play. Andy Carroll was supposed to fill that role but his form has been fitful at best with Liverpool this term and he appears to have been overtaken in the pecking order. There would appear to be few better candidates than Zamora for a conventional lone forward role.

"Joe Public and probably 99.9% of the country would probably say: 'So and so's scored X number of goals, so he's a better player,'" Zamora says. "But I recently asked the guys at ProZone what the stats were in terms of chances created and I was in the top six in the Premier League. That's a striker creating chances, not a midfielder or a winger crossing the ball. Clint Dempsey's always going on about the significance of assists – he would, it's an American thing after all – but I'm all for that. Let's get league tables of assists like we do for goals scored. I'm making a few for others, setting up people like Clint, Moussa [Dembélé] or AJ [Andy Johnson], just as I did last year. Apparently I came away with the most assists at Fulham despite missing the majority of last season. People in the game might notice that more but I'll gladly hold the ball up and bring others into play.

"Every time I've been called up to the England squad, whether I've played or not, I've come away thinking I can play at that level. I've proved that to myself in the training sessions we've had – it'd be mad if you didn't pick up bits and pieces working with Capello and the other lads – but people will only really accept me at the top if I do it on the pitch. If I'd gone to the World Cup and not been injured, maybe I would consider myself an international footballer now.

"As it is, I'm on the fringe still, waiting for the chance. But even that leaves me pinching myself. I've come a long way by a very different route to most, playing with Bristol Rovers and Brighton in the lower leagues, and I wouldn't change that at all. There are probably only 10 league clubs in the country where I haven't played, but that has made me more grounded and more appreciative of where I am today."

Whether or not Zamora feels properly valued as England wheeze in pursuit of the football around Wembley's expansive turf on Saturday remains to be seen but, if given his opportunity, the forward will attempt to influence the occasion. "Time is short and getting to Ukraine and Poland is the ultimate aim," he adds. "That's the dream, something I'll work hard to achieve: a few goals, a few assists ... don't forget the assists. We need that Americanism in our game."

epsomraver

Sorry but no chance he will play, it will be Bent or Sturridge.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: epsomraver on November 10, 2011, 12:51:17 PM

As a Fulham fan, I'd love to see Zamora play.

But as an England fan, I'd rather see Sturridge. There's no use (imo) in playing 30 year olds - we need to see all England games prior to WC 2014 as a building process.

The Bronsons

To be honest, if Bobby doesn't play I'm not watching. He deserves a chance, the Euros are only next year, so he won't be too old to play a part there, and I doubt Capello is building for 2014 as he won't be manager.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on November 10, 2011, 12:56:53 PM

But as an England fan, I'd rather see Sturridge. There's no use (imo) in playing 30 year olds - we need to see all England games prior to WC 2014 as a building process.

I dont see why, England will not win anything until the next load of youngsters come through, you know, the ones that can retain possession.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 10, 2011, 02:16:35 PM

I dont see why, England will not win anything until the next load of youngsters come through, you know, the ones that can retain possession.

I think we already have a set of youngsters comfortable with the ball at their feet - we just need them to play like they do with their clubs when they pull on the England shirt.

I'd like us to model ourselves on Mourinho's Chelsea, 4-3-3, something a bit like this:

http://www.footballuser.com/268532/England
(edit: why doesnt the picture thing work!?!?!)

Rooney
Welbeck                         Sturridge

Wilshire
        Cleverly
                 Rodwell

Baines                          Richards
         Smalling  Jones

Wide forwards who cut in (or swap wings so they have their good foot on the outside). Fullbacks who get forward to occupy space left by said forwards. A defensive mid, a 'possession keeper' and a playmaker in the middle.

(No squad depth in the middle though!)

epsomraver

Big problem with Rooney suspended for three games

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on November 10, 2011, 03:13:28 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 10, 2011, 02:16:35 PM

I think we already have a set of youngsters comfortable with the ball at their feet - we just need them to play like they do with their clubs when they pull on the England shirt.

I'd like us to model ourselves on Mourinho's Chelsea, 4-3-3, something a bit like this:

http://www.footballuser.com/268532/England
(edit: why doesnt the picture thing work!?!?!)

Rooney
Welbeck                         Sturridge

Wilshire
        Cleverly
                 Rodwell

Baines                          Richards
         Smalling  Jones

Wide forwards who cut in (or swap wings so they have their good foot on the outside). Fullbacks who get forward to occupy space left by said forwards. A defensive mid, a 'possession keeper' and a playmaker in the middle.

(No squad depth in the middle though!)

I would happily see that squad, and would happily see that team taken to the Euro's.

Dropping the old guard seems to be difficult though, even Beckham thinks he will get in the squad still.

os5889

Why do people always think the next group of young players will solve everything? Do you not think every other country doesnt have a group of youngsters coming through - and how are ours better??

Youthful talent great, introduce it a bit at a time so there is some experience in the squad too! You need experience AND youth!

Casillas (29)

Capdevilla (32) - Pique (24) -Puyol (32) - Ramos (24)

Busquets (22) - Alonso (28)

Iniesta (26) - Xavi (30) - Pedro (23)

Villa (28)

A master and an apprentice! There is always 1 of each  :011:

Oh by the way thats the team that won the world cup ant their ages at the time of the match. Going back to the Euros in 08 they may have been even more mixed.
To bring through success you need to play with experience and learn from them, take Smalling as a case in point, yes Hangeland and Hughes are good but Vidic and I daresay Rio are/have been better and now Smalling is almost unrecognisable.

While Im not against the kids, the old guard has its place!

You cant just chuck them all in as youngsters and hope for the best!

LukeJennings

IF Zamora scores I WILL run out of the house with my top off screaming like a little girl!
ps. gutted i didnt get tickets for this one in time :(
Twitter; @lukealele

My YouTube channel - http://m.youtube.com/user/LukeJennings9

Please subscribe!

cutbushcitylimits

Really pisses me off that these so called experts are championing Bobbys virtues now..............To a man they laughed thier bowlacks off 2yrs ago when asked if he should be called up to the England squad!

os5889

Gabby Agbonlahor gone back to #avfc after tweaking hamstring in #eng training

os5889

#eng players observe two-minute silence in centre circle of Wembley. Perimeter hoarding emblazoned with 'Wear your poppy with pride'

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: os5889 on November 10, 2011, 05:09:20 PM
Why do people always think the next group of young players will solve everything? Do you not think every other country doesnt have a group of youngsters coming through - and how are ours better??

Youthful talent great, introduce it a bit at a time so there is some experience in the squad too! You need experience AND youth!

Casillas (29)

Capdevilla (32) - Pique (24) -Puyol (32) - Ramos (24)

Busquets (22) - Alonso (28)

Iniesta (26) - Xavi (30) - Pedro (23)

Villa (28)

A master and an apprentice! There is always 1 of each  :011:

Oh by the way thats the team that won the world cup ant their ages at the time of the match. Going back to the Euros in 08 they may have been even more mixed.
To bring through success you need to play with experience and learn from them, take Smalling as a case in point, yes Hangeland and Hughes are good but Vidic and I daresay Rio are/have been better and now Smalling is almost unrecognisable.

While Im not against the kids, the old guard has its place!

You cant just chuck them all in as youngsters and hope for the best!

I think you may be missing our points - It is not that young players are better, but that (supposedly) the new breed of players coming through have been trained to use the ball and want to keep it. Therefore the new generation should put us on a better footing with the rest of the world.

cebu

It looks like Zamora's chances of playing at some point during the internationals have increased, as Agbonlahor is injured:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/11/SOCCER_England_Agbonlahor.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165