more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (11/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 11, 2011, 07:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FC Twente star Chadli keen on Fulham switch after deal fell through last summer

FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli hopes a move to Fulham can be revived after admitting a knee injury put the transfer on hold last summer.

The 22-year-old Belgian said: 'I had an offer from Fulham but got injured and the deal fell through. It is still my goal to play in the English league.'

Living in hope: Chadli (left) is still keen on a move to Fulham

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059663/Nacer-Chadli-keen-Fulham-switch.html#ixzz1dNYd5taK

WhiteJC

Fulham's Grygera ruled out for six months with knee ligament damage

Fulham defender Zdenek Grygera has been ruled out for approximately six months due to a knee injury sustained against Tottenham on Sunday.

Grygera went down in the first half of the Craven Cottage clash after an innocuous challenge with Spurs' Gareth Bale and was carried off on a stretcher after receiving oxygen.

Crocked: Zdenek Grygera receives treatment at Craven Cottage on Sunday

In a statement on Thursday Fulham revealed that the Czech Republic international had damaged an anterior cruciate ligament.

The statement on www.fulhamfc.com read: 'The club can confirm that Zdenek Grygera suffered an ACL rupture during the match against Tottenham on Sunday, November 6.

Lay-off: Grygera will be out for around six months

'It is estimated that the recovery period for an injury of this nature is approximately six months.

'The club will update further on Zdenek's progress during the course of his rehabilitation.'

Grygera has made just four appearances for Fulham since joining the west London club from Juventus in August.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059815/Zdenek-Grygera-Fulham-ruled-months-knee-ligament-damage.html#ixzz1dNYw2uPY

WhiteJC

Grygera prepared for six-month Fulham absence
Fulham FC defender Zdeněk Grygera faces a long lay-off with cruciate damage, with his club announcing: "The recovery period for an injury of this nature is approximately six months."

Zdeněk Grygera is expected to be out of action for six months
©Getty Images

Fulham FC have announced that defender Zdeněk Grygera is likely to be out of action for six months after damaging an anterior cruciate ligament.

The former AC Sparta Praha and AFC Ajax player, who joined Fulham from Juventus in the summer, was taken off midway through his side's 3-1 home defeat by fellow UEFA Europa League contenders Tottenham Hotspur FC on Sunday. The west London club said: "It is estimated that the recovery period for an injury of this nature is approximately six months."

The 31-year-old former Czech international has featured once in his team's group stage campaign and five times in the Premier League. Fulham lie second in Group K and will be certain of progressing to the round of 32 if they win away to section leaders FC Twente on matchday 5.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1715138.html?

WhiteJC

Etuhu makes respect claim

Midfielder Dickson Etuhu believes Fulham have a new-found respect on the continent due to their 2010 Europa League final appearance.

The Cottagers went on a memorable run in the 2009/10 season, culminating in a final defeat to Atletico Madrid.

They have returned to European football's second competition this season and have achieved similar success in the group stages, which Etuhu believes can be attributed to their history in the tournament.

"I definitely still think about it," Etuhu told his club's official website. "No-one expected us to get to the final - especially the route we took, playing against some of the top European teams.

"It was a great moment in time that everybody will remember at the football club and obviously the players as well.

"It's going to be harder for us now in Europe because teams respect us more because of what we did last time so they going to come well prepared and take us more seriously. Last time around people didn't give us any respect and we took advantage of that."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/11/10/Etuhu-makes-respect-claim/gnid-117143/?

WhiteJC

No love lost between Riise and Bellamy

There's little love lost between Fulham defender John Arne Riise and his former Liverpool teammate Craig Bellamy.

Riise will come up against Bellamy, for the first time since the infamous bust-up at a training camp in Portugal, as Wales hosts Norway in a friendly this Saturday.

"What happened in Portugal a few years ago happened, but hat's not the Bellamy I know and we shook hands quite quickly after that and settled it." Riise as quoted on BBC Sport.

"So it is no problem for me. I've always been alright with Craig Bellamy. I look forward to seeing him again, and he could be playing on the right, so it could be a nice little friendship again."

"I was surprised when he came back to Liverpool but I've always thought he is a good player. He's quick, he sharp, a great finisher with both feet and he works hard. He's a tough player to play against because he is so quick and you never know where he is."

http://kop-tv.com/go/822/news/no-love-lost-between-riise-and-bellamy.html?

WhiteJC

A Chance for Briggs to Shine!

The, hopefully, rise and rise of the young Fulham defender, Matthew Briggs, continues tonight.

With the Premier League under lock and key this weekend, those of our players who are considered good enough to represent their country, will be doing so.

This weekend sees a round of Euro 2012 play-offs as UEFA milks every last penny out of a competition that is a poor relation to the cherished World Cup.

Elsewhere though, the full internationals are accompanied by the useful plethora of U21 fixtures, the most interesting for me being the tussle between England and Iceland tonight.

If our information is right, the fixture will give Matthew Briggs the chance to shine again, bring it on we say!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262119#ixzz1dNadaUS0

WhiteJC

Six Months!

Sad news broke this morning!

Having initially been told that Zdenek Grygera would be side-lined for two months following the injury that saw him carried off on a stretcher against Tottenham on Sunday, the synopsis has now worsened.

It`s now being reported that the defender, courtesy of a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, will now be out for a minimum of six months.

Season over I`m afraid!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262120#ixzz1dNaraE3B

WhiteJC

Grygera

From the offal:

The Club can confirm that Zdenek Grygera suffered an ACL rupture during the match against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 6 November.

It is estimated that the recovery period for an injury of this nature is approximately 6 months.

The Club will update further on Zdenek's progress during the course of his rehabilitation.

Oh boy.

The hot button issue at the beginning of the season was Jol's insistence at putting Senderos in the middle with Hangeland, and shifting Hughes out to the right. Well, both Senderos and Hughes would eventually get injured leaving Chris Baird to deputize in the center and the newly signed but well seasoned Grygera to fill in at right back.

And, it seemed to work to a degree. Since his first league appearance in late September against West Brom, Grygera featured at right back in five of the next 6 matches (only missing out at Stoke City; was he injured? Cannot see to find anything), quietly adding some degree of solidity to our seemingly ever-changing back line.

Although not entirely because of him, the club posted an average 2-2-1 record with Grygera in the side, keeping 3 clean sheets in the process. Plus two of the losses suffered were not because we deserved it but because God hates us and wants us to suffer, or something.

Perhaps its time for Stephen Kelly to step up, or hope Senderos and/or Hughes get better and have Chris Baird slot in per usual?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/grygera/?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora hoping to cement himself in England setup
Former West Ham striker earnestly hoping to establish himself on the international scene but remains circumspect about his chances going forward

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is hoping to stake his claim for a spot in England's Euro 2012 squad by featuring prominently in the Three Lions upcoming friendly matches.

The national side host Spain on Saturday at Wembley before welcoming Sweden on Tuesday to the same ground.

Zamora feels playing for England is like performing an audition and hopes his performances for club and country ensure him further squad security as Euro 2012 approaches.

"Every time I've been called up, I've felt it's an audition and an opportunity to prove myself with England," Zamora told his club's official website.

"I've been around the squad for the last year or so and I'm hoping now to prove what I can do. The gaffer has had other priorities up to now. He had to make decisions to make sure we qualified, and they've clearly proved to be the right decisions. They've got us there, job done.

"But the attitude does feel a bit different for these games. It's an opportunity. A tough one against Spain, for sure, because it wouldn't look as if they've got too many weaknesses at all.

"We'll find ourselves in the unusual position of being underdogs, which doesn't happen at Wembley very often. We'll have to tap into that, the underdog spirit.

"As for myself, I know the manager has lots of options up front, even with Wayne's suspension. Gabby [Agbonlahor] is back, Peter Crouch is not off the scene, and Jermain [Defoe] scored another instinctive one against us on Sunday, reminding the manager he's a goalscorer.

"There are people there desperate to play, so it's a case of making an impact if and when I get a chance. If I get that opportunity, I have to take it."

For his part, Zamora believes many of his more subtler qualities tend to go less noticed, like the unselfishness he believes is a hallmark of his play.

"Joe Public and probably 99.9% of the country would probably say: 'So and so's scored X number of goals, so he's a better player,'" Zamora explained. "But I recently asked the guys at ProZone what the stats were in terms of chances created and I was in the top six in the Premier League.

"That's a striker creating chances, not a midfielder or a winger crossing the ball. Clint Dempsey's always going on about the significance of assists – he would, it's an American thing after all – but I'm all for that.

"Let's get league tables of assists like we do for goals scored. Apparently I came away with the most assists at Fulham despite missing the majority of last season. People in the game might notice that more but I'll gladly hold the ball up and bring others into play."

If nothing else, Zamora is confident in his ability to become a mainstay in the England fold, particularly if, in his belief, people adopted a more balanced appreciation of his skills.

"Every time I've been called up to the England squad, whether I've played or not, I've come away thinking I can play at that level," the 30-year-old explained.

"I've proved that to myself in the training sessions we've had – it'd be mad if you didn't pick up bits and pieces working with Capello and the other lads – but people will only really accept me at the top if I do it on the pitch.

"If I'd gone to the World Cup and not been injured, maybe I would consider myself an international footballer now.

"As it is, I'm on the fringe still, waiting for the chance. But even that leaves me pinching myself.

"I've come a long way by a very different route to most, playing with Bristol Rovers and Brighton in the lower leagues, and I wouldn't change that at all.

"There are probably only 10 league clubs in the country where I haven't played, but that has made me more grounded and more appreciative of where I am today."

"Time is short and getting to Ukraine and Poland is the ultimate aim," he added. "That's the dream, something I'll work hard to achieve.

"A few goals, a few assists... Don't forget the assists. We need that Americanism in our game." 

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3270/england-national-team/2011/11/10/2751325/fulham-striker-bobby-zamora-hoping-to-cement-himself-in?

WhiteJC

Hodgson's bid to bring in Lewington to replace Appleton thwarted by lack of cash

Roy Hodgson's attempts to snatch Ray Lewington from Fulham as a replacement for Michael Appleton have been dealt a major blow.

Sportsmail revealed last Friday that Appleton was the leading contender to replace Steve Cotterill as Portsmouth manager and the 35-year-old has signed a three-and-half year deal at Fratton Park.

The former Manchester United player will earn in the region of £110,000-per-year, making him one of the lowest paid managers in the Championship.

'It's going to be a progressive challenge, you get judged on results and the first team is the most important thing,' he said.

'But we want to build the infrastructure of the club, developing the academy and hopefully along the line getting our own training ground.

'It was very difficult to leave West Brom because I had spent nearly a third of my life there and had made a lot of good friends and worked with good people.

'But it was time for me to take on a different challenge, and this is one I'm really excited about.

'A few years ago Portsmouth were a successful Premier League club. I would like to think I can help the people at the football club achieve that again.'

Appleton held the role of assistant head coach at the Hawthorns and his departure has left a gaping hole in Hodgson's coaching structure.

It is understood that Hodgson's No 1 choice to replace Appleton is Fulham first-team coach Lewington - with whom he worked during his spell at Craven Cottage.

Double act: Ray Lewington (left) and Roy Hodgson during their Fulham days

But the Baggies boss has been told by sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth that there is not enough money in the coaching budget to replace Appleton externally.

Hodgson tried to take Lewington to the Hawthorns in the summer but his fresh effort to team-up with the respected coach once again look destined for failure, with West Brom set on avoiding paying a hefty compensation package.

'I realise what an excellent club servant Michael Appleton he has been over the years and he fully deserves this opportunity to manage a team of his own,' Hodgson said.

'We will miss him and, in an ideal world, we would have liked him to still be here with us.

'However, I was fully behind the club's decision not to stand in his way when this excellent opportunity presented itself and our loss is going to be Portsmouth's gain.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2060084/Roy-Hodgsons-bid-bring-Ray-Lewington-replace-Michael-Appleton-thwarted-lack-cash.html#ixzz1dNbpecKx

WhiteJC

Fulham's John Arne Riise believes Tottenham's Gareth Bale is the world's best left-sided player
The Norwegian is set to make his 100th appearance for his country but is worried the Welshman will ruin his day with a stellar performance

Fulham defender John Arne Riise believes Tottenham Hotspur winger Gareth Bale is the best left-sided player in the world.

The 31-year-old played against the Welshman last weekend where Spurs beat Fulham at raven Cottage and Bale got on the scoresheet and the two face each other again this weekend as Norway take on Wales in an international friendly in Cardiff.

The former Liverpool and Roma left-back will become only the third Norwegian to win 100 caps when he lines up in Cardiff, but he is well aware that Bale could make his landmark day an unhappy one.

"There is no doubt about his ability, not only what he did against Inter [scoring a hat-trick against them in last season's Champions League] but the whole of last season he kept going," Riise said.

"He was scoring goals and providing assists, he works really hard and he is not a big celebrity star, he just gets on with his job and you have to respect that.

"The things he produces are unbelievable. I played against him on Sunday, and when you play against him you have to make him run the other way by attacking yourself, otherwise it will be a one-man game.

"There is no left-sided player better than him at the moment. He has a great left foot, he is strong and quick and can cross. You can think you are going to be close to him and then he just runs past you and scores a goal."

Also in the game against Wales, Riise will face former Liverpool colleague Craig Bellamy who reportedly threatened the Norwegian with a golf club but the full-back insists the incident is now in the past.

"What happened in Portugal a few years ago happened," he added.

"That is not the Bellamy I know and we shook hands quite quickly after that and settled it. So it is no problem for me. I've always been all right with Craig Bellamy."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/11/10/2751699/fulhams-john-arne-riise-believes-tottenhams-gareth-bale-is?

WhiteJC

Schwarzer pays Oman respect

Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is expecting a 'tricky' game against Oman when he makes his return for the national team in Muscat for the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier.

With Oman desperate for a win after picking up just one point from its three group games to date, veteran custodian Schwarzer is taking nothing for granted as the Socceroos arrived in Muscat a day before the game.

"They are always tricky at home," he told The World Game. "We know its going to be tough."

"It's already humid here, from what we are used to, but we've done it before and hopefully back up the first three games in the qualifiers."

Schwarzer will regain his spot between the sticks after a back injury ruled him out of last month's qualifying win against Oman.

"It's good to be back as its always tough when you miss games through injury," he said.

"So happy I'm back to full fitness and looking forward to the game. "I've always prided myself on playing as many games as possible but due to injury you can't always do that.

"It gave Adam (Federici) an opportunity and he proved that he's more than capable of playing at international level and did a good job."

Three wins from three has Australia poised to progress to the next phase of qualifying, and forward Alex Brosque is confident that the job can be completed with games to spare.

"Holger stressed to us that this squad should not take the field thinking anything other than a win is acceptable," he said.

"I think with the squad that's here we should be good enough to get the three points and pretty much qualify."

"When you have guys like Kewell and Emmo coming back in it lifts everyone."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/asia/news/1080847/Schwarzer-pays-Oman-respect?

WhiteJC

Transfer rumour - Defender Niklas Moisander

Niklas Moisander
Position Defender
P.O.B. Turku,
Finland
D.O.B 29/09/85
Height 6 00
Club AZ

Reportedly Fulham are heading for a January tug-of-war over £3.5m-rated Finland defender Niklas Moisander with QPR.

Both west London clubs are watching the 26-year-old, who has two-and-a-half years left on his AZ Alkmaar contract.

Moisander won the Dutch title with Alkmaar in 2009 and now captains the club, but is keen on a move to the Premier League.

He can play either as a centre-half or left-back, areas QPR and Fulham have identified as a weakness.

He said: "This is my fourth season here and I think it would be better if I find a different challenge. I'd love to play in another league."

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Transfer-rumour-Defender-Niklas-Moisander.aspx

WhiteJC

New suitors in Cottage ace link

Liverpool are the latest top Premier League club to be linked with a possible swoop for highly-rated Fulham midfielder Moussa Dembele.

The 24-year-old Belgium international, who has 18 months remaining on the contract he signed in summer 2010 when former boss Mark Hughes paid £5million to AZ Alkmaar for his signature, has been compared to Tottenham's Dutch star Rafael van der Vaart.

And, Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has already been linked with a possible swoop for his signature at some point in the future.

It is now being reported that Dembele's performances have also alerted Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish as he looks to continue his squad rebuilding work at Anfield in a bid to get them back into the Champions League.

However, Jol would be loathe to lose such a key player who he feels has the potential to be a real star in England.

He said: "Dembele will learn and go on to become one of the best players in the Premier League."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/new-suitors-in-cottage-ace-link-1332987.html

WhiteJC

Rayo stars attract interest

Michu being watched by a host of Premier League clubs

Michu: Happy with how season is going at Rayo Vallecano

Rayo Vallecano have confirmed that a number of Premier League clubs have been attending their recent games.

Reports suggest that Manchester United, Liverpool and Cheslea have been checking on Rayo's midfield ace Michu, while Sunderland, Fulham and Everton were also said to be present.

Michu only joined Rayo in the summer from Celta Vigo, but he has impressed with five goals from midfield this term.

The player himself admits he is loving life with Rayo at the moment.

"I am living a dream, I had such a negative situation in the summer being without a club," said Michu.

"Then the deal arrived and I am now enjoying this moment, the project from Rayo was interesting and I am happy I made this choice.

"Rayo is a family. Our success has come not just from luck but from hard work."

Michu insists speculation about his future is positive, saying: "These rumours don't damage me, but it is normal that I am happy with this news.

"But now my challenge is to keep Rayo in the Primera Liga."

Michu's team-mates Lass and Jordi were also reported to be on the radar of the visiting scouts.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/7302151/

WhiteJC

Bobby's Euro Dream

Bobby Zamora is hoping England's friendly match against Spain on Saturday will offer him the opportunity to stregthen his claim for a place in Fabio Capello's squad for the Euro 2012 Finals next summer.

Prior to Saturday's friendly match against the 2010 World Cup Final winners, Zamora highlighted the depth of striking talent at Capello's disposal as he prepares to capitalise on any opportunity that comes his way at Wembley Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

"Every time I've been called up, I've felt it's an audition and an opportunity to prove myself with England," said Zamora.

"I've been around the squad for the last year or so and I'm hoping now to prove what I can do. The gaffer has had other priorities up to now. He had to make decisions to make sure we qualified, and they've clearly proved to be the right decisions. They've got us there, job done. So there are no qualms about that from me.

"But the attitude does feel a bit different for these games. It's an opportunity. A tough one against Spain, for sure, because it wouldn't look as if they've got too many weaknesses at all. We'll find ourselves in the unusual position of being underdogs, which doesn't happen at Wembley very often. We'll have to tap into that, the underdog spirit.

"As for myself, I know the manager has lots of options up front, even with Wayne's suspension. Gabby [Agbonlahor] is back, Peter Crouch is not off the scene, and Jermain [Defoe] scored another instinctive one against us on Sunday, reminding the manager he's a goalscorer. There are people there desperate to play, so it's a case of making an impact if and when I get a chance. If I get that opportunity, I have to take it."

Regulars at Craven Cottage are well aware of Zamora's striking qualities, not only as a goalscorer, but as a target man capable of bringing others in to play and providing valuable assists. Whilst Zamora may not be as prolific as some of his England colleagues, the value of his all round game is clearly valued by Fabio Capello.

"Joe Public and probably 99.9% of the country would probably say: 'So and so's scored X number of goals, so he's a better player,'" Zamora explained. "But I recently asked the guys at ProZone what the stats were in terms of chances created and I was in the top six in the Premier League.

"That's a striker creating chances, not a midfielder or a winger crossing the ball. Clint Dempsey's always going on about the significance of assists – he would, it's an American thing after all – but I'm all for that. Let's get league tables of assists like we do for goals scored. I'm making a few for others, setting up people like Clint, Moussa [Dembélé] or AJ [Andy Johnson], just as I did last year.

"Apparently I came away with the most assists at Fulham despite missing the majority of last season. People in the game might notice that more but I'll gladly hold the ball up and bring others into play."

Zamora is confident he can prove a success on the international stage and considering some of his finest performances for Fulham over recent seasons have come against Europe's finest teams, the striker is ready to fulfill his ultimate aim of representing England at next summer's Euro 2012 Finals.

"Every time I've been called up to the England squad, whether I've played or not, I've come away thinking I can play at that level," Zamora explained.

"I've proved that to myself in the training sessions we've had – it'd be mad if you didn't pick up bits and pieces working with Capello and the other lads – but people will only really accept me at the top if I do it on the pitch. If I'd gone to the World Cup and not been injured, maybe I would consider myself an international footballer now.

"As it is, I'm on the fringe still, waiting for the chance. But even that leaves me pinching myself. I've come a long way by a very different route to most, playing with Bristol Rovers and Brighton in the lower leagues, and I wouldn't change that at all. There are probably only 10 league clubs in the country where I haven't played, but that has made me more grounded and more appreciative of where I am today."

"Time is short and getting to Ukraine and Poland is the ultimate aim," he adds. "That's the dream, something I'll work hard to achieve: a few goals, a few assists ... don't forget the assists. We need that Americanism in our game."

Quotes courtesy of Dominic Fifield at the Guardian newspaper.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/BobbysEuroDream.aspx#ixzz1dNgc65PD

os5889

Bayern move in on Spurs, Fulham and Sunderland's £18m-rated target Cisse

The chase for Freiburg striker Papiss Demba Cisse has taken a twist after German powerhouse Bayern Munich joined the scramble to sign capture his signature.

Cisse has been tracked for the past 12 months by Tottenham, Fulham and Sunderland, but their hopes of signing could be dashed by the new interest from Bayern.

The Senegal international, 26, was the subject of confirmed offers from Sunderland and rivals Newcastle - who have since ended their interest - in the summer but both fell short of the German club's £13m valuation.
Best foot forward: Cisse's form has earned him a number of suitors

Best foot forward: Cisse's form has earned him a number of suitors

Freiburg will be desperate to keep hold of their top scorer as they currently occupy the second-bottom berth in the Bundesliga.

Cisse has bagged eight goals and provided two assists which has prompted the German side to raise  his price to £18m in an attempt to ward off interest from the Barclays Premier League trio.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2060231/Papiss-Demba-Cisse-Tottenham-Fulham-Sunderland-wanted-Bayern-Munich.html#ixzz1dO9HT9Av

os5889

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/celtic-fulham-interested-swedish-defender-lustig-2135431

Celtic, Fulham interested in Swedish defender Lustig
Submitted by Andrew Slevison on Fri, 11/11/2011 - 09:29

It has been confirmed that Glasgow giants Celtic and English club Fulham are both showing interest in Mikael Lustig.

The 24-year old Swedish international comes out of contract with Norwegian club Rosenborg in January and both the Hoops and the Cottagers are looking to snap him up according to the man in question.

"I know Celtic and Fulham are interested but how interested is difficult to assess," the right-back said.

"Nothing is clear yet but it's not like I have a hierarchy of where I want to go. I don't say Italy is No.1, England second, and so on.

"I will take it as it comes and I hope to start talking to various clubs soon."

os5889

Riise - No Bellamy rift
Norwegian full-back claims to have made peace with Welsh striker

Last Updated: November 11, 2011 9:35am

John Arne Riise: Set to face Bellamy and Wales in an international friendly on Saturday

John Arne Riise is readying himself to face Craig Bellamy, a man he claims to have no issue with following an infamous bust-up in 2007.

The pair were team-mates at Liverpool four years ago when a team-bonding trip to Portugal resulted in an angry confrontation, with Bellamy wielding a golf club at his colleague.

Both men attempted to make light of the situation in the immediate aftermath, with Bellamy swinging an imaginary golf club after netting in a UEFA Champions League clash with Barcelona.

Since then the duo have gone their separate ways, with Riise now at Fulham and Bellamy back at Anfield following stints at West Ham, Manchester City and Cardiff.

They will go head-to-head for the first time on opposing sides this weekend when Riise's Norway take on Bellamy's Wales in an international friendly.

Riise claims he is looking forward to the game and is adamant that there is no bad blood between him and his former team-mate.

"I've always been alright with Bellamy," said the full-back.

"What happened in Portugal a few years ago happened. But that's not the Bellamy I know and we shook hands quite quickly after that and settled it.

"I look forward to seeing him again. It could be a nice little friendship again."

While Riise will be charged with the task of trying to keep Bellamy quiet, it is Tottenham winger Gareth Bale who is likely to pose the biggest threat to Norway.

Riise lined up against the Welshman in Premier League competition last weekend and saw Bale inspire Spurs to a 3-1 victory at Craven Cottage.

"There is no left-sided player better than him at the moment," he added.

"He has a great left foot, he is strong and quick and can cross. You think you are going to be close to him and then he just runs past you and scores a goal.

"He works really hard and he is not a big celebrity. He just gets on with his job and you have to respect that."

os5889

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/allsport/2011/11/11/defender-eyes-fulham-run-64767-29756276/

Defender eyes Fulham run

Nov 11 2011 By Jacob Murtagh

FULHAM full-back Stephen Kelly insists he's ready to grab his chance with both hands following a serious knee injury to team-mate Zdenek Grygera.

The Irishman has been restricted to just one Premier League start for the Whites this season, and mainly featured in the Europa League.

However, Kelly could be given a run of games at right-back after Grygera was ruled out for six months with cruciate ligament damage sustained in Sunday's defeat against Spurs.

And the 28-year-old insists he's ready to fill the void.

He said: "The Europa League has given me the chance to play and put myself in the window to show what I can do.

"Hopefully that will continue on to the Premier League. The games I've played, against Manchester City and Blackburn, I felt they were two of our best performances, so to be able to perform at that level is great.

"Any game I'm getting I'm just trying to show what I'm capable of doing."

Kelly and Fulham team-mate Damien Duff are preparing for one of the biggest games of their lives tonight as the Republic of Ireland take on Estonia in the Euro 2012 play-offs.

And the defender admits it would be the highlight of his career to help his country into the finals of a major tournament.

"These games are huge for our country," he added. "Getting to the Europa League final with Fulham was amazing, but to get to a major tournament with our country would be fantastic.

"I've spent my whole life watching Ireland, so to have a chance to go there myself would be amazing. The country's in a bit of a bad way so qualifying would give everybody a boost."