England V Spain Match Thread 12/11/11

Started by os5889, November 12, 2011, 05:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Minutes silence impeccably observed.

Poppies everywhere.

The referee is from Flanders.

ENGLAND v SPAIN
England: Hart, Glen Johnson, Lescott, Jagielka, Cole, Walcott, Jones, Parker, Milner, Lampard, Bent.
Subs: Carson, Walker, Baines, Cahill, Terry, Barry, Rodwell, Adam Johnson, Downing, Zamora, Welbeck, Sturridge, Stockdale.
Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Busquets, Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Villa.
Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Puyol, Torres, Fabregas, Monreal, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.
Referee: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium)

os5889

Phil Jones in central midfield, should be fun.

England looking to break it up so far with some quick closing down

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: os5889 on November 12, 2011, 05:17:36 PM

Jones seems to be the only one not wearing a black armband with a poppy
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

MJG

I posted this on the other thread but seeing as this is the match thread.

Jones i think would be a liability at the back at the moment. He plays like a midfielder so it might work.
Im going for a three nil loss, Spain will be just too good.

MJG

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on November 12, 2011, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: os5889 on November 12, 2011, 05:17:36 PM

Jones seems to be the only one not wearing a black armband with a poppy
i think its just slipped under his shirt sleeve .

os5889

Quote from: MJG on November 12, 2011, 05:24:36 PM
I posted this on the other thread but seeing as this is the match thread.

Jones i think would be a liability at the back at the moment. He plays like a midfielder so it might work.
Im going for a three nil loss, Spain will be just too good.

Spain are good, very good but not unbeatable. They have a touch of Ali syndrome around them in so much as if someone praises and exhalts someone or something often enough it exacerbates the statement. The exact opposite has happened to the England team - they aren't that bad!

I would if I were (and am) betting on the match tip Spain but think and hope it could be closer than 3-0..

P.S. I am welsh so I'm not blindingly over expectant like you lot on the wrong side of the Severn Bridge  :57:

os5889

I really don't like saying this but Lampard has been very good so far.

About as happy seeing Johnson at RB as I would be with Dejan Stefanovic!

os5889

For those asking why Jones, Parker & Milner aren't wearing armbands....their armbands have fallen off & are lying on the pitch. #eng

MJG

Johnson always seems to lack concentration and lets the ball run away from him.
A solid defensive display at the moment but the gulf in skill; such as a basic first touch is exposed even more against Spain.

jarv

:55: :55: :55: :55: :55: :55: :55: seen enough, going to cut the gass now.

MJG

HT Nil-Nil and very much a 0-0.
No real chances to either team.

os5889

Spain are a bit boring aren't they! England have done well so far.

MJG

Quote from: os5889 on November 12, 2011, 06:03:00 PM
by boring do you mean they have the ability to keep the ball and pass pass pass, while looking to create a chance.

cebu

As the half progressed, it just seemed that England couldn't pass the ball short distances even when the pressure wasn't on ...  England to be better in the second half!   079.gif

os5889

Quote from: MJG on November 12, 2011, 06:05:25 PM
Quote from: os5889 on November 12, 2011, 06:03:00 PM
by boring do you mean they have the ability to keep the ball and pass pass pass, while looking to create a chance.

They wont let anyone else play and have an annoying tendancy to do a Tom Daley! I could half imagine England scoring, Ramos picking up the ball and storming off the pitch crying and screaming my ball, I'm going home!

It was a tongue in cheek comment....  075.gif

On a more serious note England would benefit from someone to hold up the ball, cough...Zamora and give it to Bent. Unfortunately for that to happen we'd have to go 4-4-2 and sacrifice a Jones/Lampard/Parker and unfortunately if we did that I think we'd lose quite badly...

Can England have 12 men please???

MJG

Quote from: cebu on November 12, 2011, 06:10:48 PM
As the half progressed, it just seemed that England couldn't pass the ball short distances even when the pressure wasn't on ...  England to be better in the second half!   079.gif
tired after defending so hard, so go for the easy option of going long.

os5889

Quote from: cebu on November 12, 2011, 06:10:48 PM

I think its not a case of couldn't pass, I'm sure they are all competent passers, there just weren't any options to pass to. Its the movement of the spanish to always have 2/3 people open to recieve a pass which makes them so good.

MJG

I agree with the 442 comment. We need another player up front but we would weaken the numbers in midfield and give them more space.

I would like to see Bobby get on for at least 30 mins.

os5889

Mata and Fabregas on!

They are weakened,,,  fp.gif

MJG

Quote from: os5889 on November 12, 2011, 06:16:55 PM
Mata and Fabregas on!

They are weakened,,,  fp.gif
but we  have brought Downing on.