https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (14/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 14, 2011, 07:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Johnson considering future
Fulham striker wants new contract to reflect his worth

Andrew Johnson: Fulham striker will see his current contract expire in the summer

Andrew Johnson could leave Fulham on a free transfer next summer after he rejected a new contract offer.

The 30-year-old, whose current deal expires next summer, has scored eight goals in his last eight games and has hinted that the club's current offer doesn't reflect his true value at the club.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol has admitted that Johnson is holding on for a deal until the summer of 2014, but the club have only tabled a deal which runs until 2013.

As he moves into the latter stages of his career, the striker knows there will be no room for sentiment as he searches for his last 'big-deal.'

Options

Johnson told the Sunday Mirror: "They have made me an offer to stay and I don't feel it's appropriate to go into the details of that offer.

"But I have to take into account many things before I can commit my future to the club and I feel the contract should reflect my worth.

"It will be the last big contract of my career and primarily I have to do what is right by my family. And if the contract doesn't reflect that then I will weigh up my options.

"I have faced adversity in my career but I would like to think the Fulham supporters have always appreciated that I have given my best when I played."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7306461/?

WhiteJC

Chasing a Hot-Shot

According to one leading Sunday tabloid, Fulham have joined the race for a young striker.

Valued at £2 million, Fulham are named as being amongst a host of clubs that are looking to purchase Huddersfield Town`s striker - Jordan Rhodes
The twenty-one year olds valuation doesn`t match ours though as the article indicates that Fulham may try to gate-crash this particular party by going in with an early low bid.

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262312

WhiteJC

It`s Sweden Then!

With Bobby Zamora promised a start in either of the internationals against Spain or Sweden, we`d suggest it`ll be against Sweden whom Bobby will pit his wits.

No we`re not fortune tellers or something similar and we`re not witches that need dunking in the village pond we`re just likeable chaps that have managed to deduce that if he played no part, yesterday, in England`s win over Spain, then it just has to be a Swedish delight for us Fulham fans!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262313#ixzz1dfE0Nhku

WhiteJC

In Safe Hands

Following the sad news that our Czech defender, Zdenek Grygera, will be out of action for six months following his bad knee injury, we`ve learned that he will fly off to the USA for treatment.

Grygera will be heading off to Colorado to have treatment from the renowned surgeon, Dr Richard Steadman.

Steadman has been involved in successfully rescuing the careers of the likes of Michael Owen, Craig Bellamy and Owen Hargreaves, so Grygera is in safe hands and we wish him well.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262314#ixzz1dfEG27bK

WhiteJC

More Johnson Contract Intrigue

In the best form of his life you`d have thought that Fulham would be keen to ensure that Andrew Johnson puts pen-to-paper on a new contract.

Sadly that doesn`t appear to be the case with some comments form AJ, in the tabloid press this weekend, suggesting the two sides may be some way apart with AJ commenting,

"They have made me an offer to stay and I don`t feel it is appropriate to go into the details of that offer."

"But I have to take into account many things before I can commit my future to the club and I feel the contract should reflect my worth."

"It will be the last big contract of my career and primarily I have ot do what is right for my family."

"And if that contract doesn`t reflect that then I will weigh up my options."

"I have faced adversity in my career but I would like to think the Fulham supporters have always appreciated that I have given my best when I played."

Is that AJ possibly signing off? I`d hate to think so!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262315#ixzz1dfEUhD00

WhiteJC

Reflections on a Knee Injury!

With one Fulham player, Grygera, heading off to Denver to see if Dr Richard Steadman can rescue his career, another has reflected on just what the renowned surgeon did for him.

Andrew Johnson knows he owes his career to the surgeon and has remarked in the tabloid press about his fight to get back his career,

"There is no doubt I owe him my career."

"The odds were stacked against me making a full recovery."

"He openly admitted it was the second biggest area he had ever had to repair, performing state of the art microsurgery that repairs and re-grows the cartilage in your knee."

"I remember walking into his office and his walls were covered in shirts from famous sports star thanking him for saving their careers."

And on the road to rehab, he adds,

"It was hard. Without dedication and support from my family and the medical staff at Fulham I would never have come through this."

"At one point I had to sit on my sofa with a machine that rotated my knee 80 to 90 degrees for 8 hours a day."

"And even after that, when you have become the forgotten man in many people`s eyes, you have to go through arduous rehabilitation."

The perfect mentor for poor Grygera then don`t you think!

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262317

WhiteJC

Fulham raid PSV
Dutch youth coach arrives at Craven Cottage

Fulham have raided PSV Eindhoven to recruit youth coach Jefta Bresser.

The 40-year-old had been with PSV since 2005, working within their academy.

But now Bresser has accepted an offer from Cottagers boss Martin Jol to join him at Craven Cottage.

"This is a great challenge. After a long time I was ready for something else," Bresser told PSV's website.

"PSV is however in my heart and I hope I might even be allowed to return again."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7306943/?

WhiteJC

Stephen Kelly ruled out of Republic of Ireland squad

Kelly will miss the Estonia game with a groin injury

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly has been ruled out of the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 play-off second leg against Estonia in Dublin on Tuesday night.

The full-back will miss out with a groin injury, and John O'Shea - recovered from a hamstring problem - is likely to replace him.

Assistant manager Marco Tardelli confirmed Kelly's absence after Sunday's training session in Malahide.

Midfielder Damien Duff was able to take part in the session.

Duff returned from Friday night's 4-0 first leg success in Tallinn with a rib injury, sustained in a collision with team-mate Glenn Whelan.

Striker Kevin Doyle is in contention after being suspended for the first leg.

Leon Best, who missed the Tallinn contest, was assessed by the Irish medical staff on Saturday and has been allowed to return to his club, Newcastle United, for further treatment.

Given the Republic's lead from the first leg, there was a jovial mood at Sunday's training session but Tardelli insisted that there would be no lack of focus from the squad or management going into Tuesday's game.

"Giovanni is well. Every day, he comes out with new sentences and new phrases and new jokes," added Tardelli.

"But once it comes to training, he becomes like always, focused on the match and speaking only about the match to the team.

"The supporters are very happy and the country is very happy. It's important for the players who have given us everything.

"We are proud to train this team because we have very good players."

Both Trapattoni and Tardelli, the latter a World Cup winner as a player, have enjoyed enormous success throughout their careers, but taking Ireland to next summer's tournament would represent another significant achievement.

Tardelli said: "I am very proud of this success.

"For us it's very important. My dream is to hear the Irish anthem [at the finals].

"I don't know what's important for Giovanni, but for me, it's very important.

"Giovanni would like very much to reach the finals.

"It's very, very important, but I don't know where in the table he puts it compared to the other titles."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15714148.stm?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with Rhodes move
by DAN on NOVEMBER 13, 2011

The Sunday People claim that Fulham are interested in signing Huddersfield's Jordan Rhodes.

Former Fulham midfielder Lee Clark, now manager at Huddersfield, has put a £2m price tag on his new Scotland international striker in an effort to deter interested parties from bidding for the 21 year-old. Fulham feel that Clark's asking price is too high for the highly-rated forward, but plenty of Premier League clubs are keeping a close eye on the former Barnsley and Ipswich man. Newcastle were the latest top flight side to be linked with a move for Rhodes last weekend.

Rhodes, who has scored 13 goals in 16 appearances for Huddersfield this season, sits third in the list of League One top goalscorers. He has notched 58 goals in 116 games in just two years at the Galpharm Stadium. Rhodes won his first cap for Scotland as Craig Levein's side beat Cyprus 2-1 in Lanarca on Friday night.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/11/fulham-linked-with-rhodes-move/?

WhiteJC

Blackburn to offer Johnson a way out of Fulham after contract dispute

Blackburn want Andrew Johnson to bolster their attack as the Fulham forward edges closer to a move away from Craven Cottage.

The former England striker's deal runs out at the end of the season and Fulham's refusal to match his current £40,000-a-week salary has raised the prospect of a January transfer.

Contract dispute: Fulham are unwilling to meet Johnson's demands

West Brom and Leicester have also been monitoring Johnson, while there has been interest from Queens Park Rangers.
If Johnson, 30, was to move in January, he would be available for  a cut-price fee, possibly around £2million.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061114/Blackburn-Rovers-want-Andrew-Johnson.html#ixzz1dfG4Nerz

WhiteJC

Bobby eager to seize his chance
by DAN on NOVEMBER 14, 2011

Bobby Zamora is desperate to make the most of his opportunity to impress Fabio Capello against Sweden tomorrow night and earn a place on the plane to Euro 2012.

The Fulham striker will be paired alongside Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge for the Wembley friendly having been an unused substitute in Saturday's backs-to-the-wall win over world champions Spain. Zamora watched as Darren Bent toiled as the lone front man at the weekend and will need to impress as the battle to be Wayne Rooney's replacement in Poland and Ukraine heats up.

Zamora, 30, has been unlucky with injuries since making his England debut against Hungary at Wembley last August. He was honest enough to admit that a niggling knee injury would rule him out of the World Cup when he came under serious consideration for Capello but wants to turn in a top performance against the Swedes to propel him up the pecking order.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday, I can't wait for the opportunity. I'm ready now. I want to play. But you're training with the best, it's a good education and then I'll do my best when the chance comes. Every game does feel like a trial but you have to take your chance and that's what I intend to do. I want to keep playing well, keep going in the league.

It's been a bit up and down for me recently. But you have to work hard and take your opportunities when they come.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/11/bobby-eager-to-seize-his-chance/?

WhiteJC

Etuhu stars on Nigerian return

Dickson Etuhu starred on his return to international football as Nigeria were held by Botswana in a friendly in Benin City.

The Fulham midfielder was named man of the match as he ended his international exile following the sacking of previous coach Samson Siasia. There wasn't a dream start for Siasia's successor, Stephen Keshi, who captained his country during the 1994 World Cup, as some fine goalkeeping from teenager Kabelo Dambe foiled attempts from ke Uche, Joel Obi and Fegor Ogude.

Keshi was content with his side's performance after the game:

We passed the ball well and the boys played a good game against a disciplined side. Not only did we have the possession but we created chances. It is strange to think we could have won today but we've learned a lot.

Next up for Nigeria is a friendly against Zambia in Kaduna on Tuesday as they try to bounce back from failing to qualify for next year's Africa Cup of Nations.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/11/etuhu-stars-on-nigerian-return/?

WhiteJC

Defender faces Fulham fitness fight ahead of Sunderland clash

STEPHEN Kelly faces a race against time to be fit for Saturday's trip to Sunderland after picking up a groin injury on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.

The Fulham full-back suffered the setback in Friday night's Euro 2012 play-off victory in Estonia, which rules him out of tomorrow night's second-leg in Dublin.

Kelly is set to make a rare Premier League start at the Stadium of Light after first-choice right-back Zdenek Grygera was sidelined for six months with a serious knee problem.

The Irishman has vowed to grab his chance with both hands, but is now touch and go whether he will be ready in time for the clash in the North East.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/11/14/defender-faces-fulham-fitness-fight-ahead-of-sunderland-clash-82029-29770754/?#ixzz1dfwNTLZK

WhiteJC

Zamora's Call of Duty: England striker ready for Sweden after Xbox target practice

Raring to go: England striker Bobby Zamora

England striker Bobby Zamora is desperate to take his chance in the clash against Sweden and has been practicing his aim ... on the Xbox.

The Fulham star will start up front alongside Daniel Sturridge at Wembley and admits he 'can't wait' to win his second cap.

But to pass the time before the big game Zamora has been playing video games with his international team-mates, and says that Darren Bent is a dab hand at Call of Duty 3.

Zamora, however, says that the important thing is that team spirit is high after England's battling 1-0 win over world and European champions Spain, and he is already focused on taking on Sweden.

He said: 'I'm looking forward to it. I can't wait for the opportunity. I'm ready now. I want to play.

Chance to shine: Zamora has been promised a start against Sweden

'Some of the boys have been playing computer games. Darren Bent is not bad at the new Call of Duty.

'I didn't bring my Xbox but a lot of the lads did. When you're in your room a lot you look for things to do to kill time.

'That's what the boys do. It's a relaxed feeling about the camp and we topped it off with a good win over Spain.'

Smells like team spirit: Zamora has been playing Xbox with Darren Bent

Zamora admits he will be on 'trial' against Sweden on Tuesday and needs to perform to ensure he stays part of the squad.

He said: 'Every game does feel like a trial but you have to take your chance and that's what I intend to do.

'You're training with the best, it's a good education and I'll do my best when the chance comes.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061256/Bobby-Zamoras-Call-Duty-England-striker-ready-Sweden.html#ixzz1dfwm3Dix

WhiteJC

Kelly & Duff Update

Fulham's Stephen Kelly and Damien Duff played an integral role in the Republic of Ireland's emphatic 4-0 play-off victory (first leg) over Estonia in Tallinn on Friday night.

A brace from Robbie Keane and two further goals from Jonathan Walters and Keith Andrews set the Irish up for Tuesday night's return leg in Dublin but Stephen Kelly will not be involved due to injury.

Kelly picked up a groin strain during Friday night's match but completed the full 90 minutes whilst Duff returned from Tallinn with a rib injury, sustained in a collision with team-mate Glenn Whelan.

Duff was replaced by Stephen Hunt on 73 minutes but could play some part at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday after he responded well to treatment.

Estonia will arrive in Dublin on Tuesday for the second leg requiring a miracle to deny Ireland a place in next year's European Championships to be hosted by Poland and Ukraine.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/RepublicReview.aspx?#ixzz1dgUqV1zq

WhiteJC

Paris Match

Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey was left frustrated in Paris on Friday night as his US team were defeated 1-0 by France in an international friendly.

Jurgen Klinsmann's US team fought hard against France but were denied a result after a strong second half showing, something Dempsey is hoping to change moving forward.

"A draw would have been nice," said Dempsey. "At the end we were pressing the game and trying to leave with a result. Unfortunately we weren't able to get that done, but there were some good things. We played better football in the second half. I felt like I was able to get more involved and put a stamp on things.

"They were a good side. They have a lot of quality players. They frustrated us in the first half. I thought the game opened up a little bit more in the second half. We did a better job of keeping possession, moving the ball around and creating chances for ourselves.

"We're happy with our second half performance. We just need to start doing a better job of getting results."

Despite tasting defeat in Paris on Friday night, Dempsey is clearly enjoying working under Jurgen Klinsmann, with the German striking legend allowing his creative players to express themselves on the international stage.

"He [Klinsmann] instills confidence in his players and pushes us to go out and express ourselves and have that self-belief that we can compete in big games. We enjoy having him as a coach and we want to do better for him. Hopefully the results will start to show."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/DempseyvFranceReview.aspx?#ixzz1dgV7Mrdw

WhiteJC

Dembele - Spurs a 'step up'
Fulham forward admits move across London does appeal

Moussa Dembele: Fulham forward would be interested in a move to Spurs

Fulham forward Moussa Dembele has admitted he would see a move to Tottenham as a 'step up'.

Spurs are reported to have an interest in Dembele, and it has been suggested that they remain keen on adding the 24-year-old to their ranks.

Arsenal and Liverpool have also been linked with the former AZ Alkmaar man, who is doing anything but rule out a move.

Asked about the reports of interest from Spurs, he told De Standaard: "Yes, I heard that.

"It would obviously be a step higher, and that has always been my goal.

"I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham. So why not step higher?"

Evolving

Dembele has often played in a deep role for Fulham, but he says he is working on getting more shots on goal during matches.

"My thinking has changed somewhat. I shoot much more on target. The Fulham coach says that I'm evolving," he said.

"In the past, I could have gone four games and not taken a shot at goal. That no longer happens.

"Each match I shoot four times. I have also scored. Not enough, I know, but it will come."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7307968/?

WhiteJC

Sunderland's Seb Larsson confident team can pick up points against Fulham, Wigan Athletic, Wolves and Blackburn Rovers

SEB LARSSON is confident Sunderland can convert promise into points as the Black Cats prepare to lock horns with their fellow strugglers.

Sunderland's four games prior to the international break were far more encouraging from Steve Bruce's new-look side, yet the Wearsiders still find themselves lingering down in 15th spot in the Premier League table.

But that will change if Bruce's men can maximise their return from a run of inviting fixtures against sides also at the wrong end of the table – Fulham, Wigan, Wolves and Blackburn.

Prior to tomorrow night's clash with England at Wembley, Swedish midfielder Larsson believes Sunderland's influx of summer signings have found their feet and can re-establish themselves in the top half.

Larsson, who will miss Saturday's clash with Fulham through suspension, said: "The four games after the international break are definitely the types where we've got to look to pick up some points.

"But we've started to look a lot better throughout the 90 minutes.

"Looking at the next fixtures, we should be picking up points and I think we will."

Read more of Seb Larsson's comments in today's Sportmail.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland_s_seb_larsson_confident_team_can_pick_up_points_against_fulham_wigan_athletic_wolves_and_blackburn_rovers_1_3967382

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on Celtic defender

Fulham have been linked with a January swoop for Celtic's teenage defender Adam Matthews.

The west London club will face competition from Everton in the race to sign the 19 year-old, who has proved an instant hit at Celtic Park having signed from Cardiff City in the summer for just £200,000. According to the Sun, Matthews has told his friends that he is no hurry to leave Celtic, although a big money offer may force the club's hands. The newspaper speculates that a £5m bid could prove too good to turn down.

Matthews was initially signed as a promising youngster but has made an immediate impression, keeping the experienced loanee Badr El Kaddouri out of the side. His versatility has also impressed Neil Lennon, with the Celtic manager using the Welsh international at left back after an injury to Emilio Izaguirre. Fulham are reportedly keeping a close eye on Matthews who has already won four caps for his country, having had him watched by their scouts five times during the course of this season.

Matthews has made 18 appearances in his first season for Celtic, after playing 48 games in his two years with Cardiff, scoring one goal.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/11/fulham-keen-on-celtic-defender/?

WhiteJC

Dembele admits Spurs switch would be a 'step higher' than playing for Fulham

Moussa Dembele has said that a move to Tottenham would be a 'step higher' than playing at Fulham.

Spurs have revived their interest in Dembele and are ready to submit a £10million bid after he shone in Fulham's 3-1 defeat by Tottenham earlier this month.

Fulham have already rejected two offers from Spurs for the 24-year-old Belgium forward in the past 12 months, while Arsenal and Liverpool are also said to be interested.

Audition: Fulham's Moussa Dembele (centre) has impressed Spurs

And now the former AZ Alkmaar hotshot has admitted that he would be interested in a move to White Hart Lane.

'It would obviously be a step higher, and that has always been my goal,' he told De Standaard.

'I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham. So why not step higher?'

Former Fulham boss Mark Hughes signed Dembele in August 2010 for £5m and the 24-year-old still has 18 months left on his contract.

Dembele has bagged just six goals for the Cottagers in 40 games and admits that he must find the target more often.

Double trouble: Spurs are preparing a £10m bid for Fulham's £5m signing

But Dembele recently scored in the 2-0 win at Wigan and insisted that he was developing more of an eye for goal thanks to work he has been doing with Fulham boss Martin Jol.

'My thinking has changed somewhat. I shoot much more on target. The Fulham coach says that I'm evolving,' he said. 'In the past, I could have gone four games and not taken a shot at goal. That no longer happens.
'Each match I shoot four times. I have also scored. Not enough, I know, but it will come.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061335/Moussa-Dembele-Tottenham-step-higher-Fulham.html#ixzz1dgWZAffg