Main Menu

NFR Martin Johnson Gone!

Started by os5889, November 16, 2011, 11:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Martin Johnson quits as England manager; RFU statement due

AlFayedsChequebook

Good.

He should have resigned immediately after England were knocked out.

He was taking England backwards.

Get a southern hemisphere coach in asap to teach the backs how to play!

BalDrick

'Get a southern hemisphere coach in asap to teach the backs how to play!'

Are rugby fans less myopic about 'it's got to be an Englishman innit' then? As a man whose main love is cricket, I can't see why people feel the need to make a rod for their own team's back by insisting upon a fellow countryman doing the job. Keegan for England anyone - nuff said I feel.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on November 16, 2011, 11:43:02 AM
'Get a southern hemisphere coach in asap to teach the backs how to play!'

Are rugby fans less myopic about 'it's got to be an Englishman innit' then? As a man whose main love is cricket, I can't see why people feel the need to make a rod for their own team's back by insisting upon a fellow countryman doing the job. Keegan for England anyone - nuff said I feel.

I think there is definitely a preference for an English coach at the RFU, but if I was in charge I would head straight to NZ/Aus/SA to get a coach. I dont think the public in general are fussed about an English manager, but the RFU seems to be.

The Equalizer

The writing's been on the wall for ages.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

os5889

"Ultimately he didn't have the CV to do the job" - Jeremy Guscott

The cretin's back to judge and condemn once again! I fecking hate JG!

The Equalizer

Quote from: os5889 on November 16, 2011, 11:55:40 AM

Cretin is about the best word to sum him up. He always has to get his say about someone. Sour fugger.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

BalDrick

Is there some history there - sounds like it.

Airfix

I met Guscott at a Cricket Test Match back in 2003 (I think).  He was very drunk and we were all in a box with the great and the good (and Piers Morgan and Jeffrey Archer) and was swaying around saying, "You're a c**t, he's a c**t, you're a c**t...." - you get the picture.  My opinion of him dived hugely that day and never recovered.

Incidentally, also met Ian Botham and Allan Lamb that day and had my picture taken with them both (wish I could find it now).  I titled the pic "Lamby, Beefy and Porky"  089.gif

LBNo11

...sad really, there is no doubting Martin's passion but his management skills let him down. The England rugby players acted like they were their footballing counterparts. Yes I know rugby players drink and indulge in 'high cockalorum' but on the world stage with the captain as culpable, if not more, as the rest then this was bound to happen.

I don't know of any history with JG, but all I can say is that I wish he was fit enough to play for England these days...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

epsomraver

You are  telling  me we cannot, with our wealth of so knowledgeable pundits, find an English Manager? what about a Welsh one, they always know it all when we play them! :005:

Burt

There is a much wider issue here, which is the shambles that is the governing body (i.e. the RFU) and the need to competely overhaul the structure and the people running the sport.

BalDrick

'Incidentally, also met Ian Botham and Allan Lamb that day and had my picture taken with them both (wish I could find it now).  I titled the pic "Lamby, Beefy and Porky"'

Loved Botham as a player but he's a boorish p**** these days.

Was in a bar after work about 10 years ago, in walked Lambie, to our huge amusement he was seriously clocking a girl who worked with us - huge amusement because she played (probably still does) for the other side, unbeknownst to Lambie!

The Equalizer

Quote from: Burt on November 16, 2011, 12:49:34 PM
There is a much wider issue here, which is the shambles that is the governing body (i.e. the RFU) and the need to competely overhaul the structure and the people running the sport.

Yes, I agree with this, however it needs to be done properly. Currently it's an old boy's network running something that's recently become a professional sport. Change it the wrong way and you'd end up with something akin to the FA, and that would be awful.

Airfix

Quote from: The Equalizer on November 16, 2011, 01:02:34 PM
Currently it's an old boy's network running something that's recently become a professional sport....

If you call 16 years ago, "recently", yeah!

The Equalizer

Quote from: Airfix on November 16, 2011, 01:28:53 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on November 16, 2011, 01:02:34 PM
Currently it's an old boy's network running something that's recently become a professional sport....

If you call 16 years ago, "recently", yeah!

It was like yesterday mate!