watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It makes you think

Started by Senior Supporter, November 19, 2011, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senior Supporter

I watched part of the Children in Need programme last night and, as always, was greatly impressed by the blood, sweat and tears shed by so many stars, celebrities and members of the general public to raise funds to improve the lives of handicapped and under-privileged children. So far the amount raised this year by all their efforts is an impressive £26m .... and then it struck me that this figure is still nearly £9m less than Liverpool paid this year for ONE English footballer.  fp.gif  It's a funny old world, isn't it?  080.gif   

finnster01

I think MAF should have given BH Riise away... :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Mitch

Quote from: Senior Supporter on November 19, 2011, 11:45:57 AM
I watched part of the Children in Need programme last night and, as always, was greatly impressed by the blood, sweat and tears shed by so many stars, celebrities and members of the general public to raise funds to improve the lives of handicapped and under-privileged children. So far the amount raised this year by all their efforts is an impressive £26m .... and then it struck me that this figure is still nearly £9m less than Liverpool paid this year for ONE English footballer.  fp.gif  It's a funny old world, isn't it?  080.gif   

It is, but then you could draw comparisons to many businesses across the world that do the same as football does.

mrska

Made me think the BBc should stop paying their executives such hugh sums of money (license fee) money and donate some of that.

I was touched by alot of the stories last night..  but abit pee'd off with the BBc's smugness.

Lighthouse

Never watch it as it was usually so naff. Great for the kids charities but also takes away from others because people are all 'given out'. Cheap tv that was rarely entertaining so I hope it has improved now.

Tough time of year but please remember that a DD for a small amount to your favourite charity does an awful lot of good. More so than entertainers giving their time for free while we hand over the dosh.

Cynical I know.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheDaddy

Just started donating to the Royal Institute for the Blind two quid a week not bad Got nabbed at work but the girl gave a great incite into being blind that it felt good just to do this little bit .
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Burt

Imagine what could be raised if all the premiership players donated one week's pay!

Lighthouse

Quote from: TheDaddy on November 19, 2011, 02:44:59 PM
Just started donating to the Royal Institute for the Blind two quid a week not bad Got nabbed at work but the girl gave a great incite into being blind that it felt good just to do this little bit .

You are an inspiration with everything else going on in life. It makes a difference.  :54:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Quote from: Burt on November 19, 2011, 02:48:42 PM
Imagine what could be raised if all the premiership players donated one week's pay!

I was thinking along the same lines Mr Burt. I was wondering if all professional footballers in the 92 League Clubs donated just a single days worth of pay. There must be some list of average pay for each of the divisions and simply do the math and figure it out. It would be interesting to see how much that comes out to. Everyone of these overpaid slobs could give one days worth of what they call "work". Wouldn't even make a dent in their wallet.  :035:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Burt

Quote from: finnster01 on November 19, 2011, 02:54:07 PM
Quote from: Burt on November 19, 2011, 02:48:42 PM

I was thinking along the same lines Mr Burt. I was wondering if all professional footballers in the 92 League Clubs donated just a single days worth of pay. There must be some list of average pay for each of the divisions and simply do the math and figure it out. It would be interesting to see how much that comes out to. Everyone of these overpaid slobs could give one days worth of what they call "work". Wouldn't even make a dent in their wallet.  :035:

Well I think the average weekly wage of a premiership player is £27k, so assuming that applied to 15 players for each of the 20 clubs then there's a cool £8m straight away. Proportionate to their overall earnings it's a snip, compared to the other donations that others less fortunate make.

MJG

Did they not do something like that for nurses a few years ago. I remember Fulham being the first club to sign up to it.

Burt

You may be right Mr MJG. There was something now I come to think of it.

MJG

What I find hard about CIN is the films of the causes are well made and every so often one is shown that makes you think, bloody hell their must be one rich person who can give them £100K to run the school etc.
And then you get the sketch with the Dragons Den lot & Alan Suger and you think get your fecking cheques books out. I know they do anyway and charity work, but it dont sit well when they do things like that last night.

SG

Quote from: mr_ska on November 19, 2011, 12:02:56 PM
Made me think the BBc should stop paying their executives such hugh sums of money (license fee) money and donate some of that.

I was touched by alot of the stories last night..  but abit pee'd off with the BBc's smugness.
I say it every time - the overpaid presenters earning their hundreds of thousands of pounds a year give some time (big deal) and the poor public on an average wage that is just a fraction of these people are urged to dig deep by them. Get your cheque books out first you overpaid bunch of *****

Berserker

To be fair we don't know what celebs and footballers give and do work for charity, i still believe alot probably give quite alot but don't go public about it.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ScalleysDad

If Bono and his boys and Chris Martin and his gang signed over the royalties for a greatest hits album from each followed up with the DVD thats it all sorted. If Bono, Maccer, Jagger and Co took time to think how to spend zillions before they died or whats left to buy thats Africa sorted. I do support charities, The RNLI being the latest, but on Friday I actually turned the Chris Evans show off because the whole thing is just getting so sanctimoniuos.