watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, November 19, 2011, 12:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

It may not be that important to many but today sees Tim Gudgen, aged 81, read the football results for the last time on Final Score. His distinctive voice has been informing us for 6 decades.  All those years ago how we used to hang on to his voice as the tone of the first team's score gave you the result whether it be home away or draw. End of an era fellow foot soldiers.   
Perhaps they will get Julian Clary to replace him.

In the Enclosure

Wow he has done well - I had assumed that they had employed a different guy who sounded like him - didn't realise that he was the true original from my childhood in the Fifties !

bog

As you say In the Enclosure back in them 50's you had to wait for 5 o'clock as they were no updates then. How many millions would sit bolt upright await his dulcet tones to reach their teams result?!

OldBrownShoe

094.gif Ah so "Fulhamnil" is his fault! fp.gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Lighthouse

Nice little bit at the end of the results as he was briefly interviewed. A part of all our lives. Thanks for the good and bad results.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

He started regularly in the sixties. His predecessor was John Webster.

SG

We also had the teleprinter coming in at that time. I can remember waiting for the team and the score to be printed and being elated, deflated and surprised virtually all in a couple of seconds. Somehow it was more enticing then having to wait rather than now where you are bombarded from all angles every few seconds - cue the Likely Lads episode where they tried to avoid finding out the result of a game.

finnster01

He is the only one who has managed to read a bunch of football results and make it sound like poetry  medal
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LBNo11

...thank you Tim Gudgen, your mellifluous tones were what I grew up with sitting in front of a black and white screen of the television in the early evening on a Saturday with my Dad religiously checking his Littlewoods pools in demanded - and obeyed silence before we would have our supper.

A small but important part of my life, never again the chance to hear the "Forfar five East Fife four" we  always hoped to hear in your distinctive voice...

065.gif
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bog

Aar the clacking teleprinter. How I miss those moments of pure drama as each letter was typed and we hung on every letter. If we were the away side how the emotion rose until our score was typed. I am sure that sometimes whoever was typing would stop and make the fans sweat as he scratched something....how different today when you are told of a goal before it hits the back of the net.
So glad I lived through that!
Seemed a very nice bloke and in good shape for 81!