watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How Is Jol Adapting?

Started by White Noise, November 20, 2011, 05:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

How do you think Jol is evolving in terms of his strategies and approaches now he has been here for about 6 months?

This was about the time that Mark Hughes took stock and changed his plan somewhat. Have you discerned much alteration in his game plan or approach since June?

LBNo11

Quote from: White Noise on November 20, 2011, 05:44:30 PM
How do you think Jol is evolving in terms of his strategies and approaches now he has been here for about 6 months?

This was about the time that Mark Hughes took stock and changed his plan somewhat. Have you discerned much alteration in his game plan or approach since June?

...none...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

MJG

I think he started with an idea of playing 4-2-3-1 and got sidetracked into 442 by the players and results. He has know bitten the bullet and gone the way he wants.
He seems to have lost some faith in the youth he gave a chance and has brought in. We seem trapped in playing that hard core of stawarts no matter what. And the problem now is that because we lack points he will have to stick with them as who would play kids in our position?
The situation we are in is the same as Chelsea , an ageing team that needs to change but its bloody hard to do so.

Jol is the manager and he needs to grow some and if he really believes his way is the best way then do it.

Oakeshott

I don't think he has come to grips with the squad (ie understanding strengths and weaknesses) let alone the Premiership. As things stand we could be bottom at Christmas because I don't see where our next win is coming from. Assuming Kelly recovers reasonably quickly, we need to get back to a 442 comprising JAR, Brede, Hughsie and Kelly, Demps., SS, Danny and Duff, with Bobby and AJ up front. Then we will get some points. In short, out the ineffective Dembele.

Maybe Briggs for JAR if his positional play next match is as poor as it was against Spurs.

SKSW6

Quote from: Oakeshott on November 20, 2011, 06:24:15 PM
I don't think he has come to grips with the squad (ie understanding strengths and weaknesses) let alone the Premiership. As things stand we could be bottom at Christmas because I don't see where our next win is coming from. Assuming Kelly recovers reasonably quickly, we need to get back to a 442 comprising JAR, Brede, Hughsie and Kelly, Demps., SS, Danny and Duff, with Bobby and AJ up front. Then we will get some points. In short, out the ineffective Dembele.

Maybe Briggs for JAR if his positional play next match is as poor as it was against Spurs.

The oldest premiership starting 11 by a long way I would guess. I was hoping this was going to be a transitional season to bring in some youth and so had lowered my expectations, but atm we're still playing with older players and aren't getting results.

MJG

Here are the avg ages of some of the teams this weekend and then 6 teams where I have had to take the last game they played.

Norwich  (25.7) V Arsenal (25)
Everton (28.1) V Wolves (26.5)
Man City (24.9) V Newcastle (24.9)
Stoke (29.5)  V QPR (29.3)
Sunderland (26.3) V Fulham (30.3)
WBA (27.8) V Bolton (27.3)
Chelsea (28) V Liverpool (27.2)
Wigan (26.7)
Blackburn (25.1)
Man Utd(26.2)
Swansea (26.9)
Spurs (27.4)
Everton(28)

At least we top one table.

White Noise

Blimey we are way ahead of everyone else but Prem experienced players are important for a club like us.

Man Utd have had aged sides that have done well as have others but we clearly have 4 or 5 players who only have another season or two in them at this level and they may not be full seasons.

Interesting that Newcastle have a similarly young side to Man City. Have to be impressed with what Newcastle are doing but would be amazed if they sustain it across the season.

MJG

I find it interesting that Stoke seem to be  taking the route we did under Roy(old pros looking for another chance) and their team is almost as old as ours.
Looking at the others we need to drop are least 2-3 years off the team. Two of the over 30's to be replaced by a couple of 20 year olds is required to do that.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: White Noise on November 20, 2011, 07:48:44 PM
Blimey we are way ahead of everyone else but Prem experienced players are important for a club like us.

Man Utd have had aged sides that have done well as have others but we clearly have 4 or 5 players who only have another season or two in them at this level and they may not be full seasons.

Interesting that Newcastle have a similarly young side to Man City. Have to be impressed with what Newcastle are doing but would be amazed if they sustain it across the season.

The Newcastle revolution started with rebuilding in the Championship and leaving the exit door wide open. Young players have come in and have been allowed to play. They won't retain top eight but tenth these days is a miracle. Uhm javascript:void(0);

Lighthouse

The irony is that Jol seemed to lose the dressing room key along with the players the day we beat QPR. He had played a certain style until then and the rumour was the players were not happy. So we played a proper 442 and the rest is history. Jol has appeared to be fighting a losing battle ever since. Having failed so badly at the beginning of the season we are now suffering from injury and better teams playing us. We have all been crying out for a better forward or two for years. Sadly Jol was in a long line of managers who was unlucky in not being able to bring forwards in.

So we have an old side resistant to another change in game play. Only two proper forwards who have control of the dressing room with the other senior players. Jol also made a big mistake in not playing Ruiz more. A big fee and taking him off at half time in his first game saying he wasn't up to the speed of the Prem. Then not playing him again other than a few subs. When he did play against Chelscum he looked good.

A manager who simply is trying to adapt but seems to have lost the interest of many of his players and needs a turn of luck or personel to turn things around. A bit of a disaster 3/10 so far.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

I can understand and agree, to a point, with the need for experienced players, but I would caution that age does not always equal experience at this level, and with age comes a slowdown that is being more and more easily exposed by todays flight of youngsters.

I make no excuses for my wish to see Smurph away, and although he is a great example of age equaling experience, having a great understanding and perspective on the ground, at 34 he is noticeably slower than most of his rivals, in both his physical and mental sides. Yet again we saw him getting mugged in midfield just because he didn't choose the right pass to make fast enough. But it's not all down to him, and I admit to liking the fact that MJ has also noticed this and is not slow to sub Smurph off, something the previous manager had no nutz to do. The unfortunate thing is, we have nobody ready to step into his shoes. We got Jesus (sorry Greening) (32) and then sidders (28) as possible replacements, but neither have that touch that Smurph has, although of the two, sidders def makes a more interesting player to watch.

Hughesie, at 32, is showing his age as well, AJ and BZ (both 30) make up the remainder of the old men of the Cottage and won't be running around like spring chickens for more than a couple of seasons, notwithstanding any injuries take that bit longer to heal up.

If Jol is to do anything with his first season, he needs to get MaF to write a couple of multi-zero cheques, get a good midfield general and a decent striker in the January Sales, neither of which should be above 26, and go for broke.
I could have a lot more respect for a guy that goes out trying, than one that settles for mediocrity.

finnster01

Quote from: White Noise on November 20, 2011, 07:48:44 PM

The thing is though, Mr WN, is that those Man U teams always seemed to have one or two youngsters as well getting a run out. Good way to blood in the young 'uns. We do not do that.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead