watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zoltan's Still Got It

Started by White Noise, November 20, 2011, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.football365.com/bolton-wanderers/7321050/Hodgson-delighted-by-Gera-deal

Hodgson delighted by Gera deal

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson heaped praise on Zoltan Gera after he completed his first 90 minutes of the season in Saturday's win over Bolton.

Last Updated: 20/11/11 at 17:03

Gera spent four years at The Hawthorns before being signed by Hodgson when Fulham boss in 2008, and he persuaded him to rejoin the Baggies this summer.

The Hungary international has had a frustrating start to the campaign after undergoing ankle surgery but showed his quality during Saturday's 2-1 home win over Bolton.

Gera completed his first 90 minutes of the season and set up winger Jerome Thomas for the first goal and linked up well with fit-again striker Shane Long, who netted the winner.

Hodgson said: "If there is one player I brought to the club that everyone I meet pats me on the back for bringing back and saying 'what a wonderful thing you've done for us', then it is Zoltan.

"I've not met anyone who has hinted it might not be the right thing and the largest cheers and greatest reception against Bolton were for Zoltan.

"I never doubted him. He did a great job for me at Fulham and he was a free transfer. It was a no-brainer for me persuading him to come back to West Brom.

"My only fear was there might be other clubs competing with us who might offer him more or persuade him his future was better there.

"I never had doubts that, if we could persuade him to come back, we would have a good player on our hands.

"He has great versatility. He played in that second striker role against Bolton, which he did quite often for me at Fulham, but he also did a fantastic job for me in the wide areas."

Gera admits it was an emotional occasion against the Trotters and he enjoys partnering Long who came back a month earlier than expected from a knee injury.

He said: "There was lots of emotion for me with it being my first game at home since I came back because I remember I played my first Premier League game against Bolton here many years ago.

"There was a fantastic feeling for me, the supporters gave me lots of confidence which is very important for the players.

"I enjoy playing with Shane, he gives lots of options. He is a great player, he makes it easier for me, and I'm happy playing there behind the striker.

"But there are also some very good midfielders so it is easy to play for this team."

Bolton remain in the bottom three following a second half fade-out after Ivan Klasnic's penalty had cancelled out Thomas' opener.

Owen Coyle said: "There was a chance to move into a group of teams in the middle of the league and we've let it pass us by.

"We can't pass those sort of opportunities up and I've stressed that to the players.

"It's all very well going away after the game hurting - but the players have to make sure they are hurting on the pitch.

"They have to show that tenacity and drive when they are behind to get a result and we didn't do that well enough in the second half.

"That is frustrating and galling after the team performed so well against Stoke before the international break."

Thomas latched onto Gera's through-ball to open the scoring but then fouled Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba to enable Klasnic to equalise from the spot.

Long's glancing header from the recalled left-back Nicky Shorey's cross settled the issue with his fourth goal of the season.

Burt

Still regret the fact that we let him go.

Still had a role to play, particularly given we are still in the Europa.

cebu

I wish him well, but hope he doesn't "do it" when he plays against us.

LBNo11

Quote from: Burt on November 20, 2011, 09:34:14 PM
Still regret the fact that we let him go.

Still had a role to play, particularly given we are still in the Europa.

...agreed, and knew where the goal was, a player suited for the European games, like Andrew Johnson...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ScalleysDad

Quote from: cebu on November 20, 2011, 09:48:39 PM
I wish him well, but hope he doesn't "do it" when he plays against us.

Its almost written in stone though is'nt it. Same as AJ at QPR if that happens.

HatterDon

Let's see, we let Gera go and he's played 1 league match while missing all the other league and cup matches because of injury.

Why is it exactly that he should have stayed?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BalDrick

Quote from: HatterDon on November 21, 2011, 12:36:11 AM
Let's see, we let Gera go and he's played 1 league match while missing all the other league and cup matches because of injury.

That's a great shout Mr Don.

Personally wish the guy all the best at West Brom, just hope there won't be a mass exodus in that direction come January - you can bet RH is still in touch with a few players.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

sunburywhite

I am still here in Avatar if not in body
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

LBNo11

...HD, injuries happen all the time and you cannot predict them, had Zoltan been fit do you seriously think that he would have not made a difference to the team ethic, or even scored for the Baggies by now?

Another season bolstering our already depleted squad and primarily playing in a competition he excelled in would have been a comforting back up in resting players and covering for them if injured, as well as working alongside the younger players and them learning from his experience would have been worthwhile in my opinion...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

I dont think an injury was part of the plan...they happen.

He should have stayed as we don't have strength in depth, he gives 110%, and he knows where the goal is.

MJG

Quote from: Burt on November 21, 2011, 12:37:56 PM

I dont think an injury was part of the plan...they happen.

He should have stayed as we don't have strength in depth, he gives 110%, and he knows where the goal is.
It was Mark Hughes's going away gift to Fulham to not offer him another contract earlier enough.

HatterDon

Still not convinced. We were -- and still are -- fat with attacking midfielders, and lean on strikers. Zoltan had about a dozen chances to convince Mark that he could contribute, and fluffed them all. He was a passanger last season. He had a brilliant string in the Europa League, but he never really duplicated the league form for us that he displayed at WBA in his first spell there.

I thought he was a top bloke and I'm glad he's got another gig in the Prem, but I don't think he'd improve our squad if he were here.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel