more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR This is for HatterDon

Started by Peabody, November 21, 2011, 01:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Wyman Meinzer's West Texas

Hope you enjoy this HD and it should make you feel at home.

HatterDon

That was brilliant sir. Although I live in South Texas, I was born in West Texas and I saw a lot of familiar sights. Brought a tear to the old geezer's eyes, I can tell you.

Thank you, sir. I really needed that.  077.gif

What amazing people Fulham folk are.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Peabody

HatterDon

it's very good isn't it. It's a kind of fusion of "western" music over the past 50-60 years.

WhiteJC

stunning :54: I must visit one day

Peabody

In my ignorance, I always thought that Texas was "cattle country" as defined by hollywood.

WhiteJC

Quote from: Peabody on November 22, 2011, 06:38:59 PM
In my ignorance, I always thought that Texas was "cattle country" as defined by hollywood.

me to, I thought it look like this...  094.gif

HatterDon

Mr. WJC, you and your are always welcome.

Mr. Peabody. I was born in El Paso and now live in San Antonio. These two cities are 555 miles apart, and there's still another 300 plus highway miles between here and the Louisiana border. Hence the old complaint of conestoga wagon travelers: "The sun has riz, the sun has set, and I ain't out of Texas yet.

EVERYBODY in the USA expects Texas to look like  094.gif also. There is some real desert in Texas, but I'd be willing to bet that California has more desert land than we do. The middle of the state is mostly grassland, and much of South and Southeast Texas is taken up by the King Ranch, which was -- and perhaps still is -- larger than England. El Paso is high mountain desert [4,000 feet at the base of Mt. Franklin, IIRC]. It's very dry, but actually gets a little snow most years.

Dallas/Ft. Worth is really part of the American midwest. As such it is EXTREME country -- boiling hot in summer time, freezing cold in winter, tornadoes in the spring, and even floods. Houston is pretty much reclaimed swamps and is incredibly humid. It's also home to petrochemical industries, so it isn't the most enjoyable deep breath you'll ever take. East and Northeast of Houston is The Big Thicket -- scary place with scary people. Huge tracts of pine trees make people rather insular and suspicious of ... well ... just about everyone. Clint Dempsey is from there; so is Ag.

In a normal weather year [which this year isn't] San Antonio gets exactly the same amount of rain as Seattle. We're on the edge of a plateau between the Hill Country and the lowalnd leading to the Gulf of Mexico.

It's a pretty diverse state, but what you see in the video is pretty common from say San Angelo, westward. I'm a little disappointed not to see the eastern slopes of the rockies, but there you go.

Y'all come on down!