watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Laptop help

Started by Admin, November 21, 2011, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I have an old IBM thinkPad laptop that recently went bandy on me so I went out and bought a new one, it was time for an upgrade anyway. The problem that I'm having with the ThinkPad, is that there is a lot of work related documents on there that I could do with accessing and then transfering to my new laptop but it won't boot up. This is what is happening.

Turn the power on, it starts to boot then and a black screen comes up with "We apologize for the inconvenience, but wendows did not start blah, blah blah" then at the bottom you have options of: Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt and start windows normally. It then counts down from 25 then the windows XP loading screen comes up but thats it. After this is a blue screen apears  with "A problem has been detected and windows needs to shut down" and it then goes back to the begining and starts all over again.

Is there a way to access the laptop or am I officially fooked>  fp.gif

Thanks in advance.   

finnster01

There are many much more well versed in the dark arts of computer science on here than me.

But I had a similar issue. If booting it up in safe mode doesn't work, I simply suggest you take it to someone ( a shop or a friend) who can take out your hard disk, put the contents of the harddrive on an external device and put the wanted contents on a memory stick/CD or two. If you have to go to a shop to get it done, it shouldn't cost much anyway. Worked fine for me. At least you save your data
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sacffc

My solution to a dead computer was similar to Finnster's.  The guy at the computer shop set up the hard drive of the old computer as an external hard drive that I can plug in to the new computer -- cost me about $100.  After copying over all the files I needed, I can use it as a backup device.
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

The Equalizer

No no no no no!!!

You can get a USB HD caddy from Maplins for about £25. Take out the HDD, plug it into the device, attach that to the USB on your new laptop, copy and paste.

Bosh.

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Logicalman

I agree with Eq on this one, with an additional caveat though. Be very careful handling the exsposed laptop HD, these are both fragile and, being internal, do not have the same dust-proofing as regular external (and full-size internal) HDs.

Once you have the caddy, or HD enclosure, then simply reference it as any other external drive, though I would suggest you get all the files off asap AND this time buy some DVDs and burn the files to those as well.

Perhaps a little late in the game, but for the price of 20 bacon sarnies you can get yourself an external 1Tb HD device with software to create iterative backups of your data - well worth the cost and time, avoids this situation again.

Ron Sheepskin

Before you pull the laptop apart...

Safe mode with command prompt will give you a DOS session. If you plug a portable hard drive into a usb port then you can use xcopy to transfer your files from the laptop.

I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago when Windows went t*ts up on me. After a factory restore I just copied all the documents back and all was well with the world.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on November 22, 2011, 01:09:34 PM

Safe mode with command prompt will give you a DOS session. If you plug a portable hard drive into a usb port then you can use xcopy to transfer your files from the laptop.

I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago when Windows went t*ts up on me. After a factory restore I just copied all the documents back and all was well with the world.

Why don't you also ask him to perform Chopin's Nocturne Op.9 no. 2 in E on the didgeridoo?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: The Equalizer on November 22, 2011, 01:20:46 PM

Why don't you also ask him to perform Chopin's Nocturne Op. no. 9 in E on the didgeridoo?

Fair point, well made.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

finnster01

Why don't you also ask him to perform Chopin's Nocturne Op. no. 9 in E on the didgeridoo?

Mr Eq, I didn't even know what an HDD caddy was, so your info is very useful as I am defo getting one as I have a shelf of old dodgy messed up laptops that had various degrees of data backups before they got knackered.

Just pulling out my didgeridoo to play an impromptu version of Viva El Fulham...   :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Here's a link to the one that I've got at home, but it's worth shopping around as Maplin's is expensive, but I needed mine immediately.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/sata-usb-hard-drive-docking-station-with-hub-and-cardreader-226653

Burt

Quote from: finnster01 on November 22, 2011, 01:38:32 PM

Mr Eq, I didn't even know what an HDD caddy was, so your info is very useful as I am defo getting one as I have a shelf of old dodgy messed up laptops that had various degrees of data backups before they got knackered.

Just pulling out my didgeridoo to play an impromptu version of Viva El Fulham...   :clap_hands:

Wasnt the HDD caddy the guy who told Tiger Woods to shove his thingy up his jacksie?

Admin

So, the long and short of the story is.. I can't turn it on?  fp.gif