watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who Remembers This Game?

Started by White Noise, November 27, 2011, 11:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

I was eight years old when this occurred. Although I wasn't at the match I remember reading about it in the Daily Mirror along with Jimpy, The Ruggles, Useless Eustace and Jane 092.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

ron

I was being carried by mum then. I arrived in September of that year, timed to coincide with that first great season.

cmg

Before my time!
One or two there, though.
According to Mr Turner's wonderful book 41,133 were there to see Rowley score both goals in the 2-0 win over WHU, 7May1949.
Team was: Gage, Freeman, Bacuzzi, Quested, Taylor, Beasley, Stevens, Thomas, Rowley, Jezzard, Macdonald.

Of these only Arthur Stevens (a fine, goalscoring winger) was still playing when I first turned up, although Joe Bacuzzi was on the coaching staff and Jezzard soon became manager.

epsomraver

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 27, 2011, 12:11:45 PM
I was eight years old when this occurred. Although I wasn't at the match I remember reading about it in the Daily Mirror along with Jimpy, The Ruggles, Useless Eustace and Jane 092.gif

Wasn't useless Eustace some pre runner to scratch cards John? I have dim memories of my Dad buying a sealed slip and it was done on the first  and last letters of the feature?

CorkedHat

Quote from: epsomraver on November 27, 2011, 01:17:48 PM

Wasn't useless Eustace some pre runner to scratch cards John? I have dim memories of my Dad buying a sealed slip and it was done on the first  and last letters of the feature?

Good memory Dave. It was actually a cartoon which appeared deily. Many football clubs and other fund raising organisations used this cartoon as a sort of bingo. You had to take the first and the last letter of the caption with A=1 B=2 and Z=26 and so on and if the numbers on your card corresponded to these you walked off with the prize. So if the caption on the chosen day was say "What a mess" you needed a ticket with 23 and 16 0n it. If there was no caption then you took the headline on the front page.

Peabody

Stupid me went on school journey to the Isle of Wight and missed this game but my mum sent me that very news cutting whilst I was there. I was ten when that happened

epsomraver

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 27, 2011, 01:29:27 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on November 27, 2011, 01:17:48 PM

Good memory Dave. It was actually a cartoon which appeared deily. Many football clubs and other fund raising organisations used this cartoon as a sort of bingo. You had to take the first and the last letter of the caption with A=1 B=2 and Z=26 and so on and if the numbers on your card corresponded to these you walked off with the prize. So if the caption on the chosen day was say "What a mess" you needed a ticket with 23 and 16 0n it. If there was no caption then you took the headline on the front page.

Thanks John.

Burt

Before me...

But always great to be reminded of the history and heritage of our club.

Poor old Rowley looks a little bit unnerved by being chaired off!

And look at all those people...shame the days when we can get more than c26k people through the gates are long gone.

finnster01

Quote from: Burt on November 27, 2011, 06:36:13 PM

And look at all those people...shame the days when we can get more than c26k people through the gates are long gone.

Fair point Mr Burt, I regret that too.

But given these days of July 7th, Sept 11, the Heysel, Al Quaida etc I rather have 25K and feel somewhat certain I'll make it home in one piece
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Peabody

I still find it hard to beleive that Arthur Rowley was quickly moved on to Leicester City. In our first season in the first division, Arthur was not as prolific as in the previous one, so they decided to let him go and guess what, his goal touch returned and he qwent on to break all sorts of records. As for us, well we did'nt score enough goals and were relegated after a couple of seasons. To prove my point, in that last season, we registered more 2-1 losses than ever before.

In the Enclosure

The year before I was born but I do remember subsequent massive crowds in the fifties - the crowd used to steam or exude smoke on a cold day ! Not a pleasant option taking a P in those days at CC either!

CorkedHat

When I started going in 1951, about eight of that team were still playing and what a privilege it was to see them. Rowley, however, wasn't one of them and Len Quested only lasted a few months before being shafted off to Huddersfield. Sixty years later and I still haven't forgiven Fulham for that  092.gif Cue Mr Peabody to remind us all that we got Jeff Taylor in exchange which was on par with getting Frank Large for Allan Clarke  :026: